What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Song Draft - Alphabet thievery afoot - Thievery abounds, XTC and Queen popular. Starting Round 25. Chaos coming (1 Viewer)

One more country song, this time a posthumously released ballad

I'm kissing your picture...goodbye

I thought it was going to be about kissing pictures when he said that first line.

By the way, do you really want this on your desert island? This screams of something akin to Dogs D'Amour on mine. Like, oof, why did I do that?

Not that it's a bad song, per se, just...lol

One more country song, this time a posthumously released ballad

I'm kissing your picture...goodbye

I thought it was going to be about kissing pictures when he said that first line.

By the way, do you really want this on your desert island? This screams of something akin to Dogs D'Amour on mine. Like, oof, why did I do that?

Not that it's a bad song, per se, just...lol
I don’t know if I’ve always considered the desert islandness of each song so much as chose songs I am vibing with currently. That said, I did want to include a variety both in genre and mood. This song seems appropriate for the desert island. Presumably I’m stranded without loved ones. The song isn’t just about literally throwing away pictures but about how do you forget someone? Seems like if I was stranded alone on an island, this would be something to grapple with.

I don’t know if I’ve always considered the desert islandness of each song so much as chose songs I am vibing with currently. That said, I did want to include a variety both in genre and mood. This song seems appropriate for the desert island. Presumably I’m stranded without loved ones. The song isn’t just about literally throwing away pictures but about how do you forget someone? Seems like if I was stranded alone on an island, this would be something to grapple with.

Sure thing. Just curious is all.

Pik95-
A-Tunnels- Arcade Fire
B-Get it Together- Beastie Boys (with Q-Tip)
C- Somebody Got Murdered-The Clash
D-Mistadobalina Del the Funky Homosapien
E-Your Hand in Mine-Explosions in the Sky
F-Fu-Gee-La-Fugees
G-Loungin-Guru
H-Running With an Angel-Hootie and Blowfish
I-It Was a Good Day-Ice Cube
J-Atmosphere -Joy Division
K-Played Like a Piano-King T
L-All My Friends by LCD Soundsystem
M-Shook One's (Pt. II)-Mobb Deep
N-Holland, 1945 Neutral Milk Hotel
O-Don't Look Back in Anger by Oasis
P-Release -Pearl Jam
Q-Metal Health by Quiet Riot
R-Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out-Replacements
S-93 Til Infinity-Souls of Mischief
T-Award Tour -A Tribe Called Quest
U-Deeper Shade of Soul-Urban Dance Squad
V-A-Punk-Vampire Weekend
W-Small Axe-The Wailers
X-Boom Clap-Charli XCX

25.T - B.E.F. featuring Tina Turner - Ball Of Confusion​

Tina Turner (November 26, 1939 – May 24, 2023)

The turn of the 70s to the 80s was the nadir of Tina's career. Her post-Ike Disco records had sold poorly and she'd been dropped by her label. She regrouped in England and recorded a few R&B covers produced by Sheffield Synthpop masters British Electric Foundation (Martyn Ware and Ian Craig Marsh of Heaven 17). Her version of Al Green's "Let's Stay Together" became an international hit which led to Private Dancer and the rest is history.

Tina's Temps cover "Ball of Confusion" was released before "Let's Stay Together". It appeared on B.E.F.'s 1982 album Music of Quality and Distinction Vol. One alongside a bunch of other 60s and 70s songs interpreted by guest vocalists including Gary Glitter, Sandie Shaw and Billy McKenzie.

Last edited:
Round 25.V - Jimmie Vaughan - Baby, Please Come Home

I would also like to tap out.

@Eephus UP

Don’t think you can now.

Round 25.V - Jimmie Vaughan - Baby, Please Come Home

I would also like to tap out.

@Eephus UP

Don’t think you can now.
I couldn't figure that out. When this is a choice, I will do it. I'll never find an X that I want.
Unlike Hotel California, you can check out anytime. From now on (actually round 20). That may not be clear though.
Then there were 14
It seems some have an aversion to pinching. I would like to hear why. No criticism.
Many possible reasons

It seems some have an aversion to pinching.

Pride. If I didn't think of it, it can't be that good. Heh. No, the only one where I got beaten to the punch and thought of stealing was PIK95's Vampire Weekend pick, but that went by the wayside when I chose my V, a pick I can't even remember.

Plus, I'm just such a nice guy I couldn't ever pinch gratuitously.

eta* Ah, yes, my "V" pick was Vain's "On The Line." Top notch.

25.X - XV - "Awesome"

Never understood why this guy never blew up.

Because Lupe Fiasco beat him to that schtick and voice about six years earlier, only Lupe was a complete rapper. A rapper's rapper, as it were.

That's not trying to be terse. He just immediately reminded me of Lupe, especially down to their outfits and vibe and choice of backing track.

Somebody did pick Jeezy for a song. I was wondering if I got desperate at "Y" if I couldn't smuggle his album that he cut as "Young Jeezy."

ilov with a great pick there.

Now I'm hippling the thread, it seems. I'll go mute.

Somebody did pick Jeezy for a song. I was wondering if I got desperate at "Y" if I couldn't smuggle his album that he cut as "Young Jeezy."

He’s not the only “Young” rapper. One of them currently resides in Cobb County Jail.

It seems some have an aversion to pinching.

Pride. If I didn't think of it, it can't be that good. Heh. No, the only one where I got beaten to the punch and thought of stealing was PIK95's Vampire Weekend pick, but that went by the wayside when I chose my V, a pick I can't even remember.

Plus, I'm just such a nice guy I couldn't ever pinch gratuitously.

eta* Ah, yes, my "V" pick was Vain's "On The Line." Top notch.
I doubt I'd have pinched, but it's not because I'm nice - it's because I'm lazy. I was thinking (had I participated) of doing something like krista did - float some bait out early with strong backups (or knowing where I might get some potential steals to replace them) to get the steals out of it. But, GAWD, the work I'd have to have put into all of that (narrator: yeah, like 5 minutes for your dumb ***).

25.T - B.E.F. featuring Tina Turner - Ball Of Confusion​

Tina Turner (November 26, 1939 – May 24, 2023)

The turn of the 70s to the 80s was the nadir of Tina's career. Her post-Ike Disco records had sold poorly and she'd been dropped by her label. She regrouped in England and recorded a few R&B covers produced by Sheffield Synthpop masters British Electric Foundation (Martyn Ware and Ian Craig Marsh of Heaven 17). Her version of Al Green's "Let's Stay Together" became an international hit which led to Private Dancer and the rest is history.

Tina's Temps cover "Ball of Confusion" was released before "Let's Stay Together". It appeared on B.E.F.'s 1982 album Music of Quality and Distinction Vol. One alongside a bunch of other 60s and 70s songs interpreted by guest vocalists including Gary Glitter, Sandie Shaw and Billy McKenzie.

Her version of this was the first I’d heard the song, because it got some play on MTV.

He’s not the only “Young” rapper. One of them currently resides in Cobb County Jail.

Ah, I just looked that up. That's a shame, though I don't know what he did or was accused of.

Her version of this was the first I’d heard the song, because it got some play on MTV.

The only video I could find was this lip synced performance with a band that looks like they just got off their shift at Benihana.

The only video I could find was this lip synced performance with a band that looks like they just got off their shift at Benihana.

Yep, that was the one.

Ah, I just looked that up. That's a shame, though I don't know what he did or was accused of.
RICO charges, the whole YSL label is basically a gang responsible for drug trafficking and a lot of murders.

RICO charges, the whole YSL label is basically a gang responsible for drug trafficking and a lot of murders.

Wow. Yeah, the lines get blurred in that world. I used to -- in the political forum -- argue that district attorneys would start using rap lyrics as confessionals admissible for evidence. People thought I was nuts. Sure enough, they started doing just that.

Awful stuff. What a world.

Damn - already made my pick for G

25.X - XV - "Awesome"

Never understood why this guy never blew up.

Because Lupe Fiasco beat him to that schtick and voice about six years earlier, only Lupe was a complete rapper. A rapper's rapper, as it were.

That's not trying to be terse. He just immediately reminded me of Lupe, especially down to their outfits and vibe and choice of backing track.
I agree with this, he's very much a Lupe knockoff. Lupe should've been more popular than he was, too.

Mt. Joy is a pretty good live show. My first time seeing them, perhaps a little folksy for my liking, but a fun, lively show. I've had like 6 beers, AMA

This looked like an interesting concept. I really like the Desert Island theme and the Alphabet and thievery twists.
This time of year is just way too busy for me to participate.
I think I have only done one music draft (as a fill-in at that). So, I might have just looked a fool.

Users who are viewing this thread