What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Did the Packers Make the Right Decision for Their Ball Club (1 Viewer)

vote here

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Undecided - Need to see what draft pick(s) they receive

• Total voters
I started off thinking it was "New Coke" bad.

Someone else suggested MS Vista bad. That's probably better. New Coke is pretty harsh...

J

I think the Packers showed more respect to Aaron Rodgers during this process than they did Brett Favre. That's a travesty.

From both a short term and long term view...I think the Packers blew it. Long term because Favre is pretty much in exile so long as the current regime is there. Whether they are there for long remains to be seen, but you don't want your legends exiled.

I think the Packers showed more respect to Aaron Rodgers during this process than they did Brett Favre. That's a travesty.From both a short term and long term view...I think the Packers blew it. Long term because Favre is pretty much in exile so long as the current regime is there. Whether they are there for long remains to be seen, but you don't want your legends exiled.
:bag:

I said it depends on what picks they get.

Without picks, I might tend to say wrong move based on what I have seen from Rodgers so far. Losing him in 2 years may not be as horrible as some think. Or it may. But he reminds me a little of Joey Harrington right now.

They could always have extended Rodgers contract if he were so hot. If he were not willing to do that, it might also not be such a loss.

But I think it is close enough a call with picks not to storm against the heavens.

But HOW they have handled it was completely asinine. (see other threads where I have posted at length).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think so as I think we've seened Brett's top end potential. It would also trouble me that he appartently can't handle the cold weather anymore. I'm amazed that the Pack basically parlayed a guy that hung up the cleats into draft picks.

I voted yes. they made a decision to move on with Aaron Rodgers and stuck with it despite the public pressure. i admire that.

I voted yes. they made a decision to move on with Aaron Rodgers and stuck with it despite the public pressure. i admire that.
I typically don't admire those who stick to insane decisions, even when they do so under pressure. A bad decision under pressure is still a bad decision.

I think the Packers showed more respect to Aaron Rodgers during this process than they did Brett Favre. That's a travesty.From both a short term and long term view...I think the Packers blew it. Long term because Favre is pretty much in exile so long as the current regime is there. Whether they are there for long remains to be seen, but you don't want your legends exiled.
Funny, from the get-go Rodgers was showing the organization a heck of a lot more respect then BF was.Seriously, we have a 28 page thread on this already...there is another side to this :goodposting:

I started off thinking it was "New Coke" bad.Someone else suggested MS Vista bad. That's probably better. New Coke is pretty harsh...J
I was thinking more along the lines of Dodds telling you that he was retiring in late winter. You cancel other projects and focus on rebuilding the organization. Maybe go as far as to promote Chase and Aaron into full time positions and they quit other interests because of the promotion. Then in late July Dodds tells you that he's coming back for one more season and that you need to reshuffle your organizational plan to accomodate him.

I started off thinking it was "New Coke" bad.Someone else suggested MS Vista bad. That's probably better. New Coke is pretty harsh...J
I was thinking more along the lines of Dodds telling you that he was retiring in late winter. You cancel other projects and focus on rebuilding the organization. Maybe go as far as to promote Chase and Aaron into full time positions and they quit other interests because of the promotion. Then in late July Dodds tells you that he's coming back for one more season and that you need to reshuffle your organizational plan to accomodate him.
:goodposting:

Depends on how they handle it now.

His legacy is with Green Bay.

My gut says he is going to be on fire with the Jets.

Which will be a distraction to the Pack.

I think the Packers showed more respect to Aaron Rodgers during this process than they did Brett Favre.
This really is the bottom line here and it's nothing short of shocking.From the Packers' perspective, trading him to the Jets is the best possible solution because the Jets aren't very good and it's doubtful even Favre's arrival will make them a great team. But as I posted in the other thread, Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy have pretty much set Rodgers up to fail. It's too bad because he deserved a fair shot to show what he could do but thanks to their bungling that isn't going to happen. It's going to be an ugly year in Green Bay if Rodgers doesn't play at a very high level.

Why do people insist on making regular-job comparisons that make absolutely no sense?

I voted no, but honestly it all depends on Aaron Rodgers now. Does he take over with success or fail. If Rodgers does well, then the Pack did the right thing. Turning a retired player into draft picks can't be all bad. If Rodgers falls flat on his face, the obviously Favre would have been a better choice to start this season and the Pack made a bad choice.

I know, I know I just realized that I am stating the obvious, but I'm clicking the submit post button anyway instead of deleting this. ;)

Funny, from the get-go Rodgers was showing the organization a heck of a lot more respect then BF was.Seriously, we have a 28 page thread on this already...there is another side to this ;)
You're right...Aaron Rodgers has certainly laid it on the line for the Packers and done as much for that franchise as Favre. I mean Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy - you're really talking franchise giants there... ;)

That's a great example. I do a back flip and welcome David the second I think I could get him back. Actually, I do more than that. I do everything I can in the relationship to never let him get to the point of quitting.And I love Chase and Aaron. And I think they love me. But they both will tell you in a second that David and I have a different relationship.J

That's a great example. I do a back flip and welcome David the second I think I could get him back. Actually, I do more than that. I do everything I can in the relationship to never let him get to the point of quitting.And I love Chase and Aaron. And I think they love me. But they both will tell you in a second that David and I have a different relationship.J
Logic won't work in this emotional saga. :)

I think the Packers showed more respect to Aaron Rodgers during this process than they did Brett Favre.
This really is the bottom line here and it's nothing short of shocking.From the Packers' perspective, trading him to the Jets is the best possible solution because the Jets aren't very good and it's doubtful even Favre's arrival will make them a great team. But as I posted in the other thread, Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy have pretty much set Rodgers up to fail. It's too bad because he deserved a fair shot to show what he could do but thanks to their bungling that isn't going to happen. It's going to be an ugly year in Green Bay if Rodgers doesn't play at a very high level.
:)Two excellent posts here.

:)

Bottom line is that Favre has a HUGE problem with Ted Thompson and wasn't going to play for the Packers, so yes, they made the only move they could.

I am happy for Favre

Dissapointed in G.B. front office. They spinned this story to the press far from the truth from way back. Favre deserved much better!

They have a long history of mistreating vets but Favre. Come on! He's the face of that city and franchise!

They better hope Rodgers plays good. That city might riot on them!

Who's the next vet to get the stick up the butt? Woodson or Driver?

I can respect that you have that opinion. If I was in your shoes I'd wouldn't be so quick to alienate my top talent that I spent a 1/2 year grooming to lead me into the future. I also wouldn't be too excited about the prospect of losing more ground to PigskinGuys.com next year after taking a step back this year. The time spent grooming Chase and Aaron could have been used to strengthen the dynasty side of the business (aka as burning 2008 draft picks on QBs). Now I'm looking at Aaron leaving for PigskinGuys next year and David retiring again. I wouldn't let my different relationship with David put my organization's future in jeopardy.

The thing about this is it puts Rodgers in even more of a pressure situation. I mean, we all know that replacing a 'legend' along the lines of Elway, Marino, or Farve is tough enough but now if he struggles everyone is thinking "we could still have Farve" and see him playing on another team each Sunday. I mean, other than Young, who has replaced a legend successfully? How do you replace a legend while he could still be playing for the team but the team said 'no thanks'.

Not to mention you know that Packer fans are crying in a dark room with this news. Not a great PR move.

:own3d:
Very strange, I would think that someone sporting your avatar would have a comprehensive understanding of the defination of being oVVned.

The thing about this is it puts Rodgers in even more of a pressure situation. I mean, we all know that replacing a 'legend' along the lines of Elway, Marino, or Farve is tough enough but now if he struggles everyone is thinking "we could still have Farve" and see him playing on another team each Sunday. I mean, other than Young, who has replaced a legend successfully? How do you replace a legend while he could still be playing for the team but the team said 'no thanks'. Not to mention you know that Packer fans are crying in a dark room with this news. Not a great PR move.
I am disgusted. The only bright side is the packer season ticket waiting list should move faster now. But now I'm not sure if I would even take the tickets.

Very strange, I would think that someone sporting your avatar would have a comprehensive understanding of the defination of being oVVned.
I find it hard to consider Rodgers "top talent" having watched his development. I am a minority, I know.But how did Chad Pennington turn out? Was he their "top talent" at one point?I hope Rodgers does well, but just haven't seen it yet.

I find it hard to consider Rodgers "top talent" having watched his development. I am a minority, I know.But how did Chad Pennington turn out? Was he their "top talent" at one point?I hope Rodgers does well, but just haven't seen it yet.
My understanding is that Rodgers is a free agent next year It's now or never in that case. I definately know that the Pack would have been off using their 2nd round pick this year elsewhere if Favre was going to be taking snaps.

The thing about this is it puts Rodgers in even more of a pressure situation. I mean, we all know that replacing a 'legend' along the lines of Elway, Marino, or Farve is tough enough but now if he struggles everyone is thinking "we could still have Farve" and see him playing on another team each Sunday. I mean, other than Young, who has replaced a legend successfully? How do you replace a legend while he could still be playing for the team but the team said 'no thanks'.

Not to mention you know that Packer fans are crying in a dark room with this news. Not a great PR move.
I am disgusted. The only bright side is the packer season ticket waiting list should move faster now. But now I'm not sure if I would even take the tickets.
Perfect example of this.

The thing about this is it puts Rodgers in even more of a pressure situation. I mean, we all know that replacing a 'legend' along the lines of Elway, Marino, or Farve is tough enough but now if he struggles everyone is thinking "we could still have Farve" and see him playing on another team each Sunday. I mean, other than Young, who has replaced a legend successfully? How do you replace a legend while he could still be playing for the team but the team said 'no thanks'. Not to mention you know that Packer fans are crying in a dark room with this news. Not a great PR move.
I'll take your spot in the line. I thought this was the Green Bay Packers not the Brett Favre Packers. Time to change your username.

And for the record, I had the Jets rated higher this year than most. Favre gives them better than a 50/50 shot at the playoffs this year.

Great move.

Favre is an egomaniac who has turned into a wreckless gunslinger.

They would never have won another SB with him, he's the past.

I can respect that you have that opinion. If I was in your shoes I'd wouldn't be so quick to alienate my top talent that I spent a 1/2 year grooming to lead me into the future. I also wouldn't be too excited about the prospect of losing more ground to PigskinGuys.com next year after taking a step back this year. The time spent grooming Chase and Aaron could have been used to strengthen the dynasty side of the business (aka as burning 2008 draft picks on QBs). Now I'm looking at Aaron leaving for PigskinGuys next year and David retiring again. I wouldn't let my different relationship with David put my organization's future in jeopardy.
That's cool. We're just different there.J

I'll take your spot in the line. I thought this was the Green Bay Packers not the Brett Favre Packers. Time to change your username.
If TT is fired I will take the tickets. We have just witnessed the biggest blunder in sports history. I know some people will disagree with that right now but bump this thread in 1-2 years if I'm wrong. Until then it is the NFavreL for me.

It was all ego on the Packers side, and people's obsession with "value".

He retired. They went out and got 2 new shiny toys. brohm and a 7th round QB. They were quite pleased. Then Favre wants back. What cut one of the newly draft QBs? What a waste! We burned a 2nd on a backup QB, now he's 3rd string?! We look like idiots.

Packers couldn't swallow their pride, and do what was best for the team.

Lets re-check things. Currently, NONE of the Packer QBs have EVER started a game in the NFL. And this is a team that is poised to make a SB run. Are you kidding me? ZERO starts. You just let go an elite QB who had an amazing year last year. He basically was a lock to get you to the playoffs. Now what? GM who let his own ego get in the way.

Sorry, this isn't FF. You take Favre back, cut the 7th round QB, and deal w/ brohm as the 3rd string. As it stands now, you better hope AR doesn't get hurt. Because you can kiss the playoffs goodbye. You better hope AR is actually good. If this guy is Joey Harrington (Joey was a better college QB and a better prospect, would have gone well before where AR was drafted regardless if the Lions took him) then TT just blew it huge. Packers might find themselves dealing with endless QBs for the next 10 years, and to think they had a solid, reliable QB ready to play for them. Favre changing his mind was a BLESSING. Two months before they were begging for him back. But because they drafted two QBs, they’re going to cut off their nose to spite their face?

It’s like Barry Sanders retiring, so the Lions draft two RBs. At training camp, Barry says he wants to play. Lions tell him to go pound sand, they have his replacement? *LOL* Are you kidding? AR isn’t a replacement for anything. He’s never started in the NFL. Bears did the same thing with Benson. We drafted him, we want to play him. Regardless of whom we have to trade to do it. Ignore the warning signs. We want to see our new toy play.

Favre didn't want to go back, because they didn't want him. If TT said after the first text message, hell yes Favre come back now, he would have. HC talking about his mindset. It's laughable. AR is a joke, will follow in the long line of soft Jeff Tedford QBs, and the Packers will rue this day for a long time.

If TT is fired I will take the tickets. We have just witnessed the biggest blunder in sports history. I know some people will disagree with that right now but bump this thread in 1-2 years if I'm wrong. Until then it is the NFavreL for me.
It's pretty close. If AR is a bust, or they miss the playoffs. It will be huge. This isn't Steve Young. This is 3, 1st time NFL starters, at the most improtant position on the field. There's no room for ego in business. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride for the good of the team. Sometimes you kiss the ### of a big client so people keep their jobs. You start making purely ego based moves, power plays, you will run yourself out of a job.

Great move.Favre is an egomaniac who has turned into a wreckless gunslinger.They would never have won another SB with him, he's the past..
Favre has always been a gunslinger. That's what made fans love to watch him so much. It also caused many children growing up in WI to learn new potty words.The 2nd part I agree with.

If TT said after the first text message, hell yes Favre come back now, he would have.
This is what Favre has wanted all along. He wants to be wanted. Thompson refused to bow down to him and that has gotten us to this point. I don't blame the front office one bit for not putting up with the circus.

There's no room for ego in business. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride for the good of the team. Sometimes you kiss the ### of a big client so people keep their jobs. You start making purely ego based moves, power plays, you will run yourself out of a job.
But that's just it, Thompson isn't going to jeopardize his job and quite possibly his career based on spite. He does what is in the best interest of the team and subsequently his job.

It was all ego on the Packers side, and people's obsession with "value".He retired. They went out and got 2 new shiny toys. brohm and a 7th round QB. They were quite pleased. Then Favre wants back. What cut one of the newly draft QBs? What a waste! We burned a 2nd on a backup QB, now he's 3rd string?! We look like idiots. Packers couldn't swallow their pride, and do what was best for the team.Lets re-check things. Currently, NONE of the Packer QBs have EVER started a game in the NFL. And this is a team that is poised to make a SB run. Are you kidding me? ZERO starts. You just let go an elite QB who had an amazing year last year. He basically was a lock to get you to the playoffs. Now what? GM who let his own ego get in the way.Sorry, this isn't FF. You take Favre back, cut the 7th round QB, and deal w/ brohm as the 3rd string. As it stands now, you better hope AR doesn't get hurt. Because you can kiss the playoffs goodbye. You better hope AR is actually good. If this guy is Joey Harrington (Joey was a better college QB and a better prospect, would have gone well before where AR was drafted regardless if the Lions took him) then TT just blew it huge. Packers might find themselves dealing with endless QBs for the next 10 years, and to think they had a solid, reliable QB ready to play for them. Favre changing his mind was a BLESSING. Two months before they were begging for him back. But because they drafted two QBs, they’re going to cut off their nose to spite their face? It’s like Barry Sanders retiring, so the Lions draft two RBs. At training camp, Barry says he wants to play. Lions tell him to go pound sand, they have his replacement? *LOL* Are you kidding? AR isn’t a replacement for anything. He’s never started in the NFL. Bears did the same thing with Benson. We drafted him, we want to play him. Regardless of whom we have to trade to do it. Ignore the warning signs. We want to see our new toy play. Favre didn't want to go back, because they didn't want him. If TT said after the first text message, hell yes Favre come back now, he would have. HC talking about his mindset. It's laughable. AR is a joke, will follow in the long line of soft Jeff Tedford QBs, and the Packers will rue this day for a long time.
:goodposting: :yucky: :goodposting:

It's obvious Favre didn't want to be there, so the Pack did the right thing by moving on.

To me, it's that simple. SF had to make that kind of decision years ago, albeit with different circumstances. How it turns out remains to be seen, but I've grown tired of the Favre drama, and it would have continued if he had stayed there.

Favre decided to retire, and GB decided to move on. This is on Favre, not GB.

It was all ego on the Packers side, and people's obsession with "value".He retired. They went out and got 2 new shiny toys. brohm and a 7th round QB. They were quite pleased. Then Favre wants back. What cut one of the newly draft QBs? What a waste! We burned a 2nd on a backup QB, now he's 3rd string?! We look like idiots. Packers couldn't swallow their pride, and do what was best for the team.Lets re-check things. Currently, NONE of the Packer QBs have EVER started a game in the NFL. And this is a team that is poised to make a SB run. Are you kidding me? ZERO starts. You just let go an elite QB who had an amazing year last year. He basically was a lock to get you to the playoffs. Now what? GM who let his own ego get in the way.Sorry, this isn't FF. You take Favre back, cut the 7th round QB, and deal w/ brohm as the 3rd string. As it stands now, you better hope AR doesn't get hurt. Because you can kiss the playoffs goodbye. You better hope AR is actually good. If this guy is Joey Harrington (Joey was a better college QB and a better prospect, would have gone well before where AR was drafted regardless if the Lions took him) then TT just blew it huge. Packers might find themselves dealing with endless QBs for the next 10 years, and to think they had a solid, reliable QB ready to play for them. Favre changing his mind was a BLESSING. Two months before they were begging for him back. But because they drafted two QBs, they’re going to cut off their nose to spite their face? It’s like Barry Sanders retiring, so the Lions draft two RBs. At training camp, Barry says he wants to play. Lions tell him to go pound sand, they have his replacement? *LOL* Are you kidding? AR isn’t a replacement for anything. He’s never started in the NFL. Bears did the same thing with Benson. We drafted him, we want to play him. Regardless of whom we have to trade to do it. Ignore the warning signs. We want to see our new toy play. Favre didn't want to go back, because they didn't want him. If TT said after the first text message, hell yes Favre come back now, he would have. HC talking about his mindset. It's laughable. AR is a joke, will follow in the long line of soft Jeff Tedford QBs, and the Packers will rue this day for a long time.
:goodposting: What he said!

It's fitting that the soap opera has moved to New York.

Favre gets to stay in green.

Rodgers gets his job, that he's worked hard for.

All the other crap, I got sick of long ago, I'm just glad to see it's "over".

I think Green Bay did the right thing.

Favre has been threatening to retire since 2005.

Favre has faded during the second half of the season in two of the past three years.

Favre threw a combined six interceptions in playoff games that terminated the Packers season in 2004 and 2007.

Favre will be 39 years old in October.

Great career, slam dunk first ballot Hall of Famer, but he pushed all his chips in and the Packers front office called his bluff.

Users who are viewing this thread