What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (1 Viewer)

L5UT1ger said:
No way it can be worse. I wonder if anyone has any insight into what Leftwich will do. He called a few plays for Arians in a preseason game, thats about it.
I know people see the name Leftwich and want to puke a little in their mouth, but (supposedly) he has been an OC in the making. We will see.

If they just line DJ up in the slot of even out wide some and target him 5-8 times a game it's automatically better no matter what. That's all that needs to happen to make this situation better........

Agree, the use of DJ is a problem, doesnt matter the OLine, doesnt matter the QB, fact is...he was not being used the way he should. Its like buying a 4x4 and never taking it off road. If youa re not using it right, it doesnt matter the features.

Counters, pitches, sweeps, screens, dump offs...just give him the ball more to make plays. When your best player isnt getting the ball, you are going to lose more than you win no matter what else you do.

Agree, the use of DJ is a problem, doesnt matter the OLine, doesnt matter the QB, fact is...he was not being used the way he should. Its like buying a 4x4 and never taking it off road. If youa re not using it right, it doesnt matter the features.

Counters, pitches, sweeps, screens, dump offs...just give him the ball more to make plays. When your best player isnt getting the ball, you are going to lose more than you win no matter what else you do.
In watching the Cardinals lately, it seems like Rosen is flinging the ball prior to DJ even getting into his route. Rosen is not looking to dump anything off. He trieds to jam it in there 10 yards down the field instead of dumping it off to DJ who has ten yards in front of him in the clear on an easily completed pass. Rosen will have to have plays designed specifically to get the ball to DJ on short passes. Otherwise he doesn't get far enough in his progressions to look at DJ. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Junk.  Every week fbg’s puts him in the top 10 rb’s and every week he blows. 

But, there is no accountability in doing what effectively amounts to guess work, so whatevs 

Junk.  Every week fbg’s puts him in the top 10 rb’s and every week he blows. 

But, there is no accountability in doing what effectively amounts to guess work, so whatevs 
In my 0.5 PPR league
- Week 1: RB10
- Week 2: RB24
- Week 3: RB13
- Week 4: RB9 
- Week 5: RB7
- Week 6: RB10
- Week 7: ?? 

So 4 top 10s in 6 weeks and RB9 overall.  I'm as disappointed as anyone that he's not dominating like 2016, but he's hardly "junk"

I have a struggling team with DJ and Chubb.  Pair this with the Hyde-to-JAX rumor and everything's coming up Milhouse!

In my 0.5 PPR league
- Week 1: RB10
- Week 2: RB24
- Week 3: RB13
- Week 4: RB9 
- Week 5: RB7
- Week 6: RB10
- Week 7: ?? 

So 4 top 10s in 6 weeks and RB9 overall.  I'm as disappointed as anyone that he's not dominating like 2016, but he's hardly "junk"
That 8 points he put up against a soft broncos run d was delightful this week.  Should win easily!

Could it get any worse?  Honestly, Leftwich is going to know that the main reason McCoy got canned is because he failed to get Johnson the ball, and when he did it looked like the play was designed for Legarrette Blount.

There will probably be some pass game force feeding.

It does seem like defenses are making sure DJ doesn't kill them in the passing game as best they can, so they will probably have to force some things...

Could it get any worse?  Honestly, Leftwich is going to know that the main reason McCoy got canned is because he failed to get Johnson the ball, and when he did it looked like the play was designed for Legarrette Blount.

There will probably be some pass game force feeding.

It does seem like defenses are making sure DJ doesn't kill them in the passing game as best they can, so they will probably have to force some things...
Force some thing and design plays that hide their intentions better.

I don't follow AZ very closely so I didn't realize Leftwich was a holdover from Arians's staff. This from Arizona Sports is interesting: 

Meanwhile, Arizona will continue searching for the production from Johnson that saw him chase the 1,000-1,000 rushing and receiving yard marks in 2016. Leftwich, a holdover from former coach Bruce Arians’ staff, saw first-hand how the Cardinals utilized the running back in both the run and pass games under the previous regime.

Johnson has accumulated 335 rushing yards to this point, but even more flummoxing has been his disappearance in the passing game, something Arians openly criticized on the TD Fantasy Podcast a month ago. Targeted just 30 times in seven weeks of play, Johnson has 20 catches and 133 receiving yards.

“With Byron being here before and being a part of that and understanding some of the success he’s had in the past, hopefully we can tap back on to some of the things David was doing in the past,” Wilks said.

Music to my ears:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/25/byron-leftwich-plans-to-emulate-bruce-arians-use-of-david-johnson/

Leftwich was on former Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians’ staff that season and he confirmed on Thursday that he plans to borrow from his former boss when he was asked how much he will take from Arians.

“Everything,” Leftwich said, via Kyle Odegard of the team’s website. “I sat shoulder-to-shoulder with B.A. every day I was here. There have been a lot of long nights sitting next to him, us nodding off together.”

It's amazing to me that nearly every fantasy expert continues to have DJ ranked in the Top 10 RBs for fantasy, including this week, even though he has had zero stellar games this season.

A true RB 1 can go off for 30+ points in any given week. DJ has only reached 20 points (and then barely) ONCE this season!!  Has Saquon FAILED to reach 20 in any game yet??

I guess it takes a long time for a player's "name" value to fade even when clearly unproductive.

It's amazing to me that nearly every fantasy expert continues to have DJ ranked in the Top 10 RBs for fantasy, including this week, even though he has had zero stellar games this season.

A true RB 1 can go off for 30+ points in any given week. DJ has only reached 20 points (and then barely) ONCE this season!!  Has Saquon FAILED to reach 20 in any game yet??

I guess it takes a long time for a player's "name" value to fade even when clearly unproductive.
I think Johnson still has 30+ upside, especially this week. We've seen a playcaller make all the difference in the world, both positively and negatively. Leftwich will almost certainly be an upgrade, its more a question of if he's a major upgrade or just a small one. 

Johnson has been a low-end RB1 all year. While that is beneath what preseason expectations were, he's still been solid. He's the RB11 right now. He's now got a likely more effective playcaller, in a very good matchup. Frankly, its hard to make a case for him outside of the top-10 in my opinion, especially with Gordon and Elliott on bye.

Thinking its amazing he's ranked as a top-10 RB, and calling him clearly unproductive is having your head in the sand. 

As to your point about Barkley, does that matter? Barkley is the #2 RB behind Gurley right now, who is ranking Johnson ahead of him?

I think Johnson still has 30+ upside, especially this week. We've seen a playcaller make all the difference in the world, both positively and negatively. Leftwich will almost certainly be an upgrade, its more a question of if he's a major upgrade or just a small one. 

Johnson has been a low-end RB1 all year. While that is beneath what preseason expectations were, he's still been solid. He's the RB11 right now. He's now got a likely more effective playcaller, in a very good matchup. Frankly, its hard to make a case for him outside of the top-10 in my opinion, especially with Gordon and Elliott on bye.

Thinking its amazing he's ranked as a top-10 RB, and calling him clearly unproductive is having your head in the sand. 

As to your point about Barkley, does that matter? Barkley is the #2 RB behind Gurley right now, who is ranking Johnson ahead of him?
Well as for Barkley, he's a good example of a RB1. Is Johnson? And a lot of experts were pooh-pooing his chances before the season started, but he has overcome a bad offense.

I've had DJ in my starting lineup every week but one so far, and in every week but one I've had players on my bench who have outscored him. He's my RB3 thankfully, but it's getting harder and harder to put him in that flex spot.

Well as for Barkley, he's a good example of a RB1. Is Johnson? And a lot of experts were pooh-pooing his chances before the season started, but he has overcome a bad offense.

I've had DJ in my starting lineup every week but one so far, and in every week but one I've had players on my bench who have outscored him. He's my RB3 thankfully, but it's getting harder and harder to put him in that flex spot.

Make no mistake, and do not be fooled, David Johnson is elite, and a top 5 back in the NFL.

Now, will his fantasy stats bear that out when the offense and team is in disarray all around him?  Maybe not, but try and find 12 backs who outscore him on a week to week basis. (Or better yet, 12 you would rather have going in to the week)

Things are only looking better for DJ from this point forward.  Last I checked  here  ----> http://games.espn.com/ffl/leaders?slotCategoryId=2&seasonTotals=true&seasonId=2018

He is currently #11, and he has James White and TJ Yeldon in front of him, both are pretty much locks to finish behind him. Even in this awful stench that is the current AZ Cardinals, he is still an RB1, and things should get better from here on out.

Ezekiel Elliot is only roughly 25 points ahead of DJ at this point, and yet I don't see the EZE people hitting the panic button...........

As good as Barkley is, its his screen game work thats made him a stud thus far . Everyone knew he is solid in the passing game, but nobody saw this level of Eli Manning dumpoffs this early.  Hes had roughly double the targets passing as DJ has (61 to 30) and thats where DJ has shined in the past.  Once they bump up DJ in the screen game, his numbers will take off.

If any DJ owners are selling low, I'm buying all day long.

TZM

Make no mistake, and do not be fooled, David Johnson is elite, and a top 5 back in the NFL.

Now, will his fantasy stats bear that out when the offense and team is in disarray all around him?  Maybe not, but try and find 12 backs who outscore him on a week to week basis.

Things are only looking better for DJ from this point forward.  Last I checked  here  ----> http://games.espn.com/ffl/leaders?slotCategoryId=2&seasonTotals=true&seasonId=2018

He is currently #11, and he has James White and TJ Yeldon in front of him, both are pretty much locks to finish behind him. Even in this awful stench that is the current AZ Cardinals, he is still an RB1, and things should get better from here on out.

Ezekiel Elliot is only roughly 25 points ahead of DJ at this point, and yet I don't see the EZE people hitting the panic button...........

As good as Barkley is, its his screen game work thats made him a stud thus far . Everyone knew he is solid in the passing game, but nobody saw this level of Eli Manning dumpoffs this early.  Hes had roughly double the targets passing as DJ has (61 to 30) and thats where DJ has shined in the past.  Once they bump up DJ in the screen game, his numbers will take off.

If any DJ buyers are selling low, I'm buying all day long.

TZM
I'm also HOPEFUL, but as a stats guy, I don't get the automatic ranking of him as a top-10 flex play every week when he has only justified that once.

Let's see if Leftwhich can make a big difference. I wonder if Rosen is adept at those screen throws? I wonder if the AZ offense can carry them out? 

At the moment it's all unknown.

Who are your RB's?

Now, will his fantasy stats bear that out when the offense and team is in disarray all around him?  Maybe not, but try and find 12 backs who outscore him on a week to week basis. (Or better yet, 12 you would rather have going in to the week)

If any DJ owners are selling low, I'm buying all day long.

TZM
I agree with this, but I am still selling in dynasty.  He's going to turn 27 later this season, and a year from now most trade partners will view his value as on the decline and it will be hard to get near current full value for him.

I agree with this, but I am still selling in dynasty.  He's going to turn 27 later this season, and a year from now most trade partners will view his value as on the decline and it will be hard to get near current full value for him.
Would be curious to know what value you place on him to sell him in dynasty.  As an owner, what would expect you'd be able to get for him.

He's a difficult player to put a value on, due to his injuries, improper usage, and age.  Most people who own him seem to think he's still worth what he was worth following his monster 2016.  And most owners that are trying to acquire him act as though he's junk, which they clearly don't believe since they're trying to get him.

Ah, I see it's not a redraft team.  To have the RB depth to consider benching DJ when you can start 3 is nuts.
It's mostly redraft. We can keep ONE player from our previous year draft, as long as they were picked in the 10th round or later, and as long as we kept them on our roster all season.

Obviously for me that was Kamara.  

Would be curious to know what value you place on him to sell him in dynasty.  As an owner, what would expect you'd be able to get for him.

He's a difficult player to put a value on, due to his injuries, improper usage, and age.  Most people who own him seem to think he's still worth what he was worth following his monster 2016.  And most owners that are trying to acquire him act as though he's junk, which they clearly don't believe since they're trying to get him.
I just traded amari, derrick henry and hunter Henry for David johnson and a d upgrade in dynasty. 

In one league I sold for JuJu straight-up. 

It's amazing to me that you don't think he's a RB1, although your definition of "can go off for 30+ points in any given week" seems a bit wacky.

FBG shows DJ as RB10 in standard and RB11 in PPR, if that's not worthy of receiving a top-10 ranking going forward with a new OC, then I don't know what to say.

I wouldn't trade him in dynasty if i had any shot of contention. He is older but he's just too valuable the next 2 years......

Sounds like Pugh and Iupati are both going to play this week for the O line. 

Wasn’t Iupati known for his excellent run blocking? 

Not sure if this is a buy low, but in two leagues I'm offering Ingram for DJ straight up. 

I hear many experts say, paraphrasing, 'DJ is no longer a RB #1, he's a RB #2 now.' 

Well, Leftwich news running the show, he's bound to progress vs regress from here on out. That's my gamble.

Total TDs in the NFL as of today-

Gurley 14
Gordon 9
Hunt 9
Tyreek Hill (WR) 8
Conner 7
Barkley 7
White 7
Kamara 7
DAVID JOHNSON 6
Others at 6 TDs, which is where we find WR#2 - D. Adams, Ridley, Hopkins, Ebron, A. Brown.

No other players have 6 TDs after that.

That was with McCoy as his play caller, so if we can try, lets slow down on the dramatics if we can. The yards will come when he is used properly and clearly Leftwich has made a point to say he will use him like Arians.

Sounds like Pugh and Iupati are both going to play this week for the O line. 

Wasn’t Iupati known for his excellent run blocking? 
He was. I am not sure he is playing at peak level anymore though.

Part of this reputation is damning with faint praise though. He is better at run blocking than pass pro.

In any case he would be an improvement over his back up most likely.

well, 100 yds from scrimmage not bad.  TD would have been nice.  He's a back end RB1.  not bad...not great, but not a colossal bust. he looked like he had more room to run and they were using him a bit differently.  especially in the pass game.  Encouraging.   better days hopefully ahead with leftwich.  

Way to go, Fitzgerald, you ####head.

Did he leave and come back today? I saw something about a concussion but he was in on the final drive and was thrown to.

Yes. He left the field and went into the tent for concussion protocol but cleared and returned.
That's what I was :rant: about in my original post.  Fitzgerald came in and smoked him while he was half sitting up on the ground.  I think he thought DJ fumbled or something.

Users who are viewing this thread