What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (1 Viewer)

It's like they don't have any access to 2016 game tapes of the Cardinals. 1 target?
I think McCoy is just willing to go down with the ship trying to implement "his" offense. Some coaches can't or wont adapt to their players. I wonder how much of his denver success was Peyton audibling out of the play call

Guys this game hurts.   Hurts BAD.  DENVER D IS WORST IN THE LEAGUE VS THE RUN.  

but in the long run this game will be what salvages DJ’s season. No question McCoy is gone after this game.  Someone is paying the price.   We can only be so lucky to see McCoy AND Wilkes go, but we can settle for just McCoy.  

Wioever comes in as interim OC will know to feature DJ and stop running him up the gut into 8 man fronts.  

This needed to happen to free DJ.  Let’s celebrate it.   

I love how

but in the long run this game will be what salvages DJ’s season. No question McCoy is gone after this game.  Someone is paying the price.   We can only be so lucky to see McCoy AND Wilkes go, but we can settle for just McCoy.  

Wioever comes in as interim OC will know to feature DJ and stop running him up the gut into 8 man fronts.  

God i hope so. 

Big dose of chase Edmonds at the end here.... I’m dying

Swing and a miss this week. Still confident Johnson will be a top-10 RB this season.

Absolutely. If anything, I like him more going forward, as this game was almost surely enough to get McCoy and his Tecmo Bowl offense fired. 
Impressive. 

David Johnson rushed 14 times for 39 yards in the Cardinals' Week 7 loss to the Broncos, adding three receptions for 31 additional yards.

If you were watching, you know how infuriating this was. The Cardinals' clueless coaching staff continued to run Johnson right up the middle, only looking to get him into space deep into garbage time in the fourth quarter. It was play-calling so bad it had to be seen to be believed. That's been a theme all season, of course. It appears tonight's disaster could cost OC Mike McCoy his job. Even if it does, Johnson will have a hard time hitting RB1 value against the 49ers' middle-of-the-road run defense in Week 8. There is shockingly little talent around him.

Oct 18 - 11:40 PM

Not sure, I mean he'll get fired at some point. But Cardinals are probably content tanking.

Why change course when they're sitting on a Top 3 pick? For a few meaningless wins? Season is almost half over.

so assuming McCoy is fired, Byron Leftwich will likely take over the play-calling... no idea if he's good or not but he WAS a QB not too long ago in the league. 

absolutely not. Can he really be worse than McCoy?
Idk. But are people counting on a major improvement?

I don't think Byron Leftwing was brought in for his offensive genius. Maybe just to help Rosen with his release.

Has the team even announced they've let go mccoy?

Last edited by a moderator:
In this hobby talent yields to circumstance more often than not. 
Agreed.

DJ 2018 = Gurley 2016

Supreme talent, but terrible coaching and lack of surrounding  talent are just too much to overcome. Maybe next year.

Sure, Rosen will check down... to Edmunds. I've never been so mesmerized but how bad and how stubborn a coaching staff can be until I saw this nonsense last night. 

We want to keep blaming McCoy but how much is the fact that the team is just bereft of talent? I think at one point last night Aikman mentioned that McCoy was just trying to not get Rosen killed. I have been kicking myself for four weeks having traded Johsnon for cook but at least with cook hurt, he's not sinking my lineup. I do have johnson in a nother league so I didn't  come in to rub salt. It's really frustrating. And maybe to a previous posters point, circumstance overcomes talent? I'm not sure Johnson was ever a truly elite back but perhaps very well rounded but was  used beautifully by Bruce Arians? 

We want to keep blaming McCoy but how much is the fact that the team is just bereft of talent? I think at one point last night Aikman mentioned that McCoy was just trying to not get Rosen killed. I have been kicking myself for four weeks having traded Johsnon for cook but at least with cook hurt, he's not sinking my lineup. I do have johnson in a nother league so I didn't  come in to rub salt. It's really frustrating. And maybe to a previous posters point, circumstance overcomes talent? I'm not sure Johnson was ever a truly elite back but perhaps very well rounded but was  used beautifully by Bruce Arians
Can we pass the hat and try to bribe him out of the booth to come back as OC? :cry:

We want to keep blaming McCoy but how much is the fact that the team is just bereft of talent? I think at one point last night Aikman mentioned that McCoy was just trying to not get Rosen killed. I have been kicking myself for four weeks having traded Johsnon for cook but at least with cook hurt, he's not sinking my lineup. I do have johnson in a nother league so I didn't  come in to rub salt. It's really frustrating. And maybe to a previous posters point, circumstance overcomes talent? I'm not sure Johnson was ever a truly elite back but perhaps very well rounded but was  used beautifully by Bruce Arians? 
Dude, please.He's in the top ten in my league, sure to drop to around 13-16 after this game, maybe.   This is the floor for him. He will be fine.  New scheme, easy schedule coming up, he is healthy.  Yeah, Arians did use him correctly, but it was not magic, it's on tape, fire the ahole McCoy and move on.

He's a huge buy low right now.

This is bull. You don't keep your QB upright by trying to pass deep all the time, you keep them upright using quick passes and RB screens. AZ does neither of those things. Running your RB literally right up the middle over, and over, and over, is idiocy when you have a mediocre rookie Center. McCoy is just bad at his job and there's no justification for it. The team near the bottom of the league in rush attempts, with a terrible O-line, shouldn't be 1st in the league in rushes up the center. That's poor play calling 101. 

I'm not sure how Byron Leftwich would be at play calling, but I think there's less than a 50% chance that he can be worse than McCoy. As a QB who got sacked all the time, and had a good pass catching RB, hopefully he knows that getting your star RB in space is a good thing. 

I fortunately do not own any stock in Cardinals, thoughts and prayers to those who do. Do like the Cardinals and Fitz especially, so I watch when I can.

But what is happening to Fitz and DJ is awful, circumstantially speaking. Fitz is a first ballot hall of famer being misused his last season by a guy not even worthy of being employed in the NFL. That alone should get McCoy fired. The most incomprehensible part is how does he not know how to use DJ, I know its been discussed but with all the talented coaches and people who have shown that innovative offenses are doing well with McVay and Nagy, how does McCoy still keep getting recycled.

When McCoy gets fired, can he just go away and be done? Can no more teams hire him? Wilkes is out of his league, his head is spinning fire McCoy and win your team back. Rosen is awful, I loved watching him get treated like he was. His arrogance bothers me. I dont mind arrogance but Rosen is a bit too much. He needs to be throwing to DJ and Fitz, instead he is throwing it to the other team.

To point out how bad McCoy is at his job...

Look up M. Gordons receiving numbers with McCoy and now after. He is 11 catches away right now from his career high under McCoy. We are not even half way through the season.

Look at the RBs last season for Denver before McCoy and after. CJ Anderson was even catching passes, Charles looked like he could still play with the passes he caught.

I spoke to Jurecki in Twitter DMs, he seems pretty cool and typically responds to me if I ask questions guess he does for most. He seems to think David Johnson is making too many mental errors.

"Johnson has too many mental errors weekly, not discipline his route running, lining up in the wrong spot in the back field before the play, running through the wrong hole, pass protection deficiencies and fumbles. Football is also play between the ears."

I spoke to Jurecki in Twitter DMs, he seems pretty cool and typically responds to me if I ask questions guess he does for most. He seems to think David Johnson is making too many mental errors.

"Johnson has too many mental errors weekly, not discipline his route running, lining up in the wrong spot in the back field before the play, running through the wrong hole, pass protection deficiencies and fumbles. Football is also play between the ears."
He's disoriented from slamming his head into his own OL all the time.

I was originally hoping for a good showing and then I’d try to sell him for LF and a first from a hopeful but unlikely contender in the Superflex league I have DJ in.  Now I think I may turn to the leagues I have LF and try to buy DJ, maybe even acquire cheaper

I'm not sure I buy this.  While a talent of Johnson's caliber is not above reproach, he seemed savvy enough to do pretty well in 2016.  It's also worth noting that Jurecki works directly for the Cardinals so he has some incentive to counter the narrative that McCoy is misusing Johnson at a malpractice level.  I'm also not sure how qualified a digital content guy is to assess a guy's vision in terms of where the play is supposed to hit.  That can change multiple times based on front, blitz etc.  Johnson is also very rarely getting to free release into routes, instead chipping ends on his way out as an attempt to keep Rosen from getting murdered.  In the same vein, Johnson changing from one side of the QB to the other pre snap is likely not a mental error.  Much more likely that either Rosen or the center has switched the protection and Johnson is adjusting to get on the man side of the slide call. 

All in all, the Cardinals are a trash fire but I don't really buy this potential water carrying that Johnson has somehow lost football IQ from 2016 to now. 

Johnson isn't sinking anyone's lineup. He's been a low-end RB1 so far this season. This team is not bereft of talent, its bereft of even below average play calling. McCoy could be replaced by the "ask Madden" option in Madden and be an upgrade. Leftwich is actually considered a major rising star in the assistant coaching ranks. I think he could potentially be a major upgrade for he offense in general. 

This almost exact team, minus Johnson, and with over half a season starting Gabbart, was a .500 team with Arians last year. Its certainly more coaching than talent based.

I think its fair to wonder if Johnson was used perfectly by Arians, I don't think anyone was expecting 2016 again this year, as that was one of the best seasons in fantasy history, at least in PPR leagues. Its more that Johnson seems to be used almost entirely against his strengths. 90% of his runs are between the guards, his passing game work has been non existant, and when split out last night, he instantly ran a skinny post for a 15 yard gain. They ask him to pass block a crazy amount. If they want another blocker in the backfield, use someone else, and put Johnson in the slot or at WR, he's better than Williams or Nelson for sure. 

This usage has been awful, nit just by volume, but by understanding who your players are. McCoy is doing it with everyone. Fitz is running 20+ yard routes, while JJ Nelson, who is 170 soaking wet with a brick in his pocket, is running slants into the teeth of the defense. Rosen is a timing and rhythm based passer, lets have him do 7 step drops against a pass rush we can barely even get a hand on. 

On the maybe 10% chance McCoy is still there next week, don't shocked if the players aren't. At least not mentally.

The fact that despite all of these things, Johnson has been solid in 5 of 7 games, makes me pretty optimistic about him going forward. 

Johnson isn't sinking anyone's lineup. He's been a low-end RB1 so far this season. This team is not bereft of talent, its bereft of even below average play calling. McCoy could be replaced by the "ask Madden" option in Madden and be an upgrade. Leftwich is actually considered a major rising star in the assistant coaching ranks. I think he could potentially be a major upgrade for he offense in general. 

This almost exact team, minus Johnson, and with over half a season starting Gabbart, was a .500 team with Arians last year. Its certainly more coaching than talent based.

I think its fair to wonder if Johnson was used perfectly by Arians, I don't think anyone was expecting 2016 again this year, as that was one of the best seasons in fantasy history, at least in PPR leagues. Its more that Johnson seems to be used almost entirely against his strengths. 90% of his runs are between the guards, his passing game work has been non existant, and when split out last night, he instantly ran a skinny post for a 15 yard gain. They ask him to pass block a crazy amount. If they want another blocker in the backfield, use someone else, and put Johnson in the slot or at WR, he's better than Williams or Nelson for sure. 

This usage has been awful, nit just by volume, but by understanding who your players are. McCoy is doing it with everyone. Fitz is running 20+ yard routes, while JJ Nelson, who is 170 soaking wet with a brick in his pocket, is running slants into the teeth of the defense. Rosen is a timing and rhythm based passer, lets have him do 7 step drops against a pass rush we can barely even get a hand on. 

On the maybe 10% chance McCoy is still there next week, don't shocked if the players aren't. At least not mentally.

The fact that despite all of these things, Johnson has been solid in 5 of 7 games, makes me pretty optimistic about him going forward. 
Great post!! Love the positive spin!

MIKE MCCOY HAS BEEN FIRED!!!

FREE DJ!!!
The first headline I read was that he was in hot water, but not fired and I was like, DAMN You! Cuz I went from elation to disappointment, but 2nd, 3rd, and 4th headline were all "He's finally gone!"  Free DJ indeed!
The best comp is Gurley with Fisher and Gurley with McVay. He was mired with a bad QB, bad line, and bad coaching. Now he's #1. Hopefully DJ can immediately jump back into the top 5. 

Fromo Roto regarding Leftwich:

It's been a fast rise for Leftwich, who was last a player in 2012. He began his coaching career under ex-Cardinals coach Bruce Arians and was a holdover for new coach Steve Wilks. With OC Mike McCoy getting fired after Thursday night's Week 7 loss to the Broncos, Leftwich now gets his time to put his mark on the offense. First order of business should be getting David Johnson the ball in space. Leftwich played and learned under the aggressive Arians. It's a no-risk move.

The bolded makes me really happy

No way it can be worse. I wonder if anyone has any insight into what Leftwich will do. He called a few plays for Arians in a preseason game, thats about it.
Heard on the radio today that both TD's against the Bears were on Leftwich-designed plays. I'm not sure what that means, but that's what they said.

kutta said:
Heard on the radio today that both TD's against the Bears were on Leftwich-designed plays. I'm not sure what that means, but that's what they said.
I dont doubt it.  The fist TD pass to DJ was typical BA style.

Users who are viewing this thread