What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty start-up mock draft (1 Viewer)

I could live with killing the oh-so-2006 team defenses, although I think they are harmless and add interest as a wild card once in a while, but I don't think my trying to grasp the whole concept of IDPs, not to mention the players and relative player values, would play out as a smooth mid-draft strategy modification for me.

I respect that you know IDP strategy - and that I don't and won't learn it effectively before my next pick. I thought this was a mock draft. If it turns out that I instead signed on to play in a new league, I'll do that. But I really don't have the time or energy to expand the draft and focus to an IDP odessey.

No, separate draft (Edited for clarity, IDP should be a separate draft if we go that route). Easy enough to vote on when this is over. We'll table discussion for now, and we can always have Team D + IDP for year one, just to avoid upsetting the draft. I never would draft one until the last round in a dynasty because they change so much.

Strategy is not that hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys, I thought I would be back earlier. I have to leave in an hour or so and wont be back until 4. I am all for the real draft idea. I would have no problem running it, especially if someone else wanted to help out. I would like to find a new owner before we move past the 8 pick again.

2.3 go deep selects Chris "Beanie" Wells. One of the three guys I wanted at the 1.10. Talent and youth is what I want St the RB position, and I think I got a good combination of both.

One more thing, I love the seperate Did draft. We can cut this draft down to 20. We can then figure out howmany idps we want to roster and start and draft accordingly.

One more thing, I love the seperate Did draft. We can cut this draft down to 20. We can then figure out howmany idps we want to roster and start and draft accordingly.
I am not an IDP guy and would not do any mock or league justice by trying it. I would have to remove myself if we go that route.

I don't care about IDP one way or the other.........somebody just make a decision here before this gets too far in as my (and others) draft strategy will vary depending on it.

I am not an IDP guy and would not do any mock or league justice by trying it. I would have to remove myself if we go that route.
It would be a seperate draft. So the hardest part of idps would be eliminated. Of course that's knowing when to draft them amongst offensive players. We could make the idp scoring low enough that they would be just a Tad more valuable than kickers. In other words, Your idps would really have to stink to really affect your team. Fbg has good Did rankings, anyone could just use them to draft and be better off than most.Its an idea anyway, we wouldn't gave to decide until after were done drafting offense. As far as the 8 pick goes, lets give it an hour or so and see if we can get any takers.

I like IDP as much as the next guy, but at this stage of the game it is simpler to just not bother (even in a seperate draft).

I'd advise the following10-round IDP draft separate from this oneReverse draft order from thisstart 3 LB, 2 DB, 2DFlex (gives people more flexibility when drafting)scoring: tackle 1, tackle assist .5, sack 3, sack assist 1.5, int 3, forced fumble 2, fumble recovery 2, pass defended 1This makes IDPs pretty even and also makes the top DL guys startable. Also makes corners a little more valuable. If we want to make corners even more valuable just raise passes defended to 1.5 pts

Catbird said:
Go deep said:
gandalas said:
Sooooo....what is up with team 8?
If I don't hear from the Guy who wanted the team soon, we will pick for the 8 spot via mfl. Adp.
Maybe try that other guy again. We will need someone at some point - why not now? It just seems the more guys that are already picked for that team, the fewer people will be interested in it?
I agree, that's why I am trying to wait before we pick for him. I'm going to pm a couple guys back. We will get this thing rolling again very soon.

OK, I found someone to take the spot. He will be picking soon. I also have a few guys draft lists, so we should be rolling here shortly. Sorry about nit updating the op, I am not near my computer and am trying to keep up from my phone. I will have everything updated tonight.

2.5 - Ryan Mathews, RB, Chargers

Ryan Mathews is stepping into a great fantasy situation. The Chargers traded up a good amount to make sure they got the guy they really wanted. They are sure to give him 250-300 touches this year and with that offense I can see him getting a good amount of TD's as well. I think Ryan Mathews will be considered an easy top 10 pick by next year.

Let's simply stick with the team D. In a dynasty they add a nice little twist anyway, trying to pick the "next" Ravens, what have you.

I am creating another topic in this forum for each person to make ONE post, for their roster.

e.g.

QB

Aaron Rodgers (1.04)

RB

Frank Gore (1.06)

WR

Andre Johnson (1.08)

And I think you get the idea.

Rashard Mendenhall, RB, PIT

Sticking with a theme, young and having not yet reaching full potential (I hope). One of the last lone RBs, although on a decidedly pass oriented ofense of late with a sad sack OL. But its dynasty, and those things should change in keeping with team tradition.

2.5 - Ryan Mathews, RB, Chargers

Ryan Mathews is stepping into a great fantasy situation. The Chargers traded up a good amount to make sure they got the guy they really wanted. They are sure to give him 250-300 touches this year and with that offense I can see him getting a good amount of TD's as well. I think Ryan Mathews will be considered an easy top 10 pick by next year.
Good pick and thanks for stepping in.

Just for the record, we will be sticking to just team defense. I would have prefered idps, but since we all agreed in the beginning to do team defense, it wouldn't be fair to those who are not for it. So the draft will be 22 rounds with team D's.

Hey guys, for the good of the draft if you are going to not be around for 6-8 hours please send a draft list. Of course that doesn't include sleeping hours. If we ever want to get some flow to this draft, we will need to make more than 2 picks every 4 hours.

What?! I go to work all day and come back and it's still not my pick yet? You guys are slooooow. :popcorn:
The biggest problem was we were still looking for a 12th owner. Finding him took us the better part of the day. We did find one however, so things should pick up now.

Well, it looks like most of my list is still good to go so I'm going to leave for a few hours to enjoy some Canada Day stuff with my gf and then be back in a few hours to check in on things again. The list I sent to Go Deep and jeter this morning is still in effect so hopefully things will pick up while I'm gone. See you guys later!

With the 2.7 pick, Gandalas Selects:

RB Jamaal Charles, KC.

I just feel that if he can even do 75% of what he finished last season at, he could easily be a top-10 back.

2.8 JDawg selects Michael Crabtree, WR, SFVia draft list
Write-up:Some may question him as the 4th WR off the board, but I think he's going to be special and I wasn't confident he would be available at my next pick. He may not produce like a 2nd rounder this season, but 2011 and beyond he will be elite.

I am not understanding why people can't either be close enough to pick within an hour or so, or leave pick lists - so that this can move forward without 7 and (overnight) 10 hour gaps after every 2 or 3 picks? At the rate we are going, we will all have to be drafting this mock for just over 4 weeks! It just seems like simple courtesy to me that people pay a little attention and make it both far shorter and more fun for everyone. I will make a big effort to make sure it never stops for hours and hours at my turn.

Yeah, this is pretty bad right now. I was curious if everyone was in the USA, within the 3 hr time zones.

Looking at over 2 days to pick 2 players, not fun.

At least I am close to being up, so when I leave today I will put in a list to cover my 2nd and 3rd round picks.

I think we should all consider a few things:

It's July

It's about to be the 4th weekend

This didn't even start out as a real league

so just expect it to be slow. Check in once a day. See if you're up and and if so, make picks. If we get all itchy about this is going to be a PITA.

I hope that if this is going to be a real league we can actually have a vote on the IDP thing. Drafting team defenses in dynasty is just silly. Hell, using them in redraft is silly IMO. We don't have team offenses. We can keep this draft as is but we're early enough to where no one's strategy has been affected by TEAM D being available. I'll create a poll with two options. Everyone in this draft should vote. It's patriotic.

Off to work again, sent another list to Go Deep (not to jeter this time though since he picks twice before I'm up :rolleyes: ) And FWIW, I'm not an IDP guy and don't know how it works, never played with it and would like to not attempt it with this league because I know I wouldn't be able to compete in that area with the others who are more well versed. As somebody else said, I wouldn't be able to do an IDP draft justice at all.

Not to mention, on an ACTUAL draft site, we can have pre-draft lists, that are not dependent on anyone else being online.

Even if you cannot get on MLF at work (which there are workarounds for that issue), you can set your pre-draft list in the morning, and then check it at the end of the day.

Just easier on all counts.

Sholdich - I hear what you are saying on both fronts. But I need to reply as I feel very differently.

I can see no reason for what we joined as a mock draft to take over several months of our lives. Encouraging people to check in once a day and draft is encouraging every couple of picks to take a full day and the draft to stretch well into October. I did not take this draft on as a lifestyle. If people don't care enough to check in every few hours, or every couple of hours when its close to their turn (or are legitimately too busy or for work reasons are unable to do so), why not submit lists covering players through their next pick every morning or evening, instead of doing nothing and leaving everyone else to wait another whole day, or two, or 5 to make their next pick? If people pay attention when they can and leave lists when the won't be checking in, the whole thing takes a fun week or ten days. That just seems a lot more exciting and interesting to me than a slow death march where days pass with nothing to do but wait a next turn. I realize this is my individual perspective and that others may feel completely differently - and everyone can do whatever they want. I am just asking people to try and not be impediments to the draft moving forward. Each owner who takes their full 8 hours per pick (plus the overnight gap) extends the draft two full weeks all by themselves!!! If seven owners adopt the one glance per day approach suggested, we really are talking October completion ...

As to IDP, I didn't sign up for it. That was never mentioned, and in fact team defenses were specifically stated. If you wanted an IDP league, you should have said so up front so that those of us with no time or interest in studying defensive players and defensive player scoring wouldn't have joined. I doubt the majority favor IDP, but even if they do, those of us who didn't sign up to play it and who don't want to learn it shouldn't be forced to compete in an arena of no interest in a game they didn't agree to play. I suspect making it IDP will result in several people pulling out completely and ending the draft. You say those who don't care about IDP can use the FBG Did lists, but then what is the point. Either it becomes blind luck, or those who regularly play IDP pick better than the FBG lists and those who don't are disadvantaged. I sure don't want to lose games because my defensive players are worse than yours - and that is the only reason to include them, no? I don't think you can add IDPs after we have started, any more than I can make it a 2 QB league now (even though I think that is a far better game).

And I submit this with apologies to everyone for ranting! Couldn't help it. I'll shut now and completely about both issues. And I will live patiently with whatever the group will suggests.

OK, no problem with your first rant, but these things are like herding cats in my experience. I'll do whatever to move it along quicker but I think trying to hurry it along is just going to make you want to pull your hair out.

As for second, if you're that opposed fine, but you're making it out to be a much harder thing than it is. Playing IDPs is just more fun, and I guarantee you it's a lot easier to make a choice between two LBs than it is to try and project where a team D is going to be in two years. But you have a point about finishing the draft the way we started it. I have absolutely no clue what team D is going to be any good other than the Jets. FA changes that so dramatically each year it's just kinda pointless in a dynasty IMO.

2.10 Tony Romo- with 6 points per pass TD, I am glad to pair a stud QB with ADP. I was worried Romo would not make it back to me after 3 going in the 1st round.

I'll be back in 20-30 minutes, hopefully my turn then. Otherwise well be waiting on Sholditch.

Steelcity, after you pick, you can PM me 3 guys you want (Sholditch gets 2 picks, then yours) so you don't have to check back in for a while. If you want :thumbup:

2.10 Knowshon Moreno, RB, Denver. Young, unquestioned starter, average rookie year but should get better and better and will be on a running team for a long time.

Hey guys, it is 4th of July weekend, so we do have do be patient. In fairness, mire than one guy mentioned they wont be around much this weekend. I'm sure we will zip through this come next week. Withthat said, for those of you who have limited internet time, You cab help out a lot by sending me, or jeter a list.lets try to work together here and everything should go smoothly.

As far as the idps thing,everyone agreed to do a team d, so it wouldn't be fair to change now. I too prefeted idps, but if some guys aren't familiar with it, it wouldn't be much fun anyway.

Instinctive said:
I'll be back in 20-30 minutes, hopefully my turn then. Otherwise well be waiting on Sholditch.Steelcity, after you pick, you can PM me 3 guys you want (Sholditch gets 2 picks, then yours) so you don't have to check back in for a while. If you want :thumbdown:
Steelcity left me a list, so we should be good if Sholditch gets around soon.

steelcityman said:
2.10 Knowshon Moreno, RB, Denver. Young, unquestioned starter, average rookie year but should get better and better and will be on a running team for a long time.
This is actually pick 2.11, just in case anybody was confused.

sorry about that, was looking at the previous pick to get the format right and I guess I can only process one thing at a time.

steelcityman said:
This is actually pick 2.11, just in case anybody was confused.
I was confused, mostly bc there are about 15 posts in between picks2.12 Phillip RiversI actually consider him the second best QB on the board in terms of long-term potential. Rivers should be a top-five QB for the next ten years.3.1 DeSean JacksonGreat up and coming receiver on a pass-happy system. Thought about a couple other names here but I love DeSean's game and think he is the next Steve Smith (CAR), just on a better offense with a better QB.

Users who are viewing this thread