What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electric Cars (Tesla and Others) (2 Viewers)

Please let us know how the delivery experience goes.  How was the sales process?  Did you get to test drive a S75 before purchasing?  I was trying to figure out the differences between their  sedan models - This helped a bit

Congrats on the car.  It looks to be a blast to drive.
no, i drove a P90D fully loaded.  of course that's "all they had at the time".  It was incredible but i know i didn't need that much power.  i'm coming from and Audi S5, so when i looked at the torque and HP ratings, I saw that the 75 was equivalent to the Audi, so i knew that was enough.

joffer said:
no, i drove a P90D fully loaded.  of course that's "all they had at the time".  It was incredible but i know i didn't need that much power.  i'm coming from and Audi S5, so when i looked at the torque and HP ratings, I saw that the 75 was equivalent to the Audi, so i knew that was enough.
Would be curious to hear your comparisons of the Audi S5 vs. Tesla the S75.

Please let us know how the delivery experience goes.  How was the sales process?  Did you get to test drive a S75 before purchasing?  I was trying to figure out the differences between their  sedan models - This helped a bit

Everything about this car has been awesome.  Delivery was great, and the car is unbelievable.  If Tesla can bring the model 3 in at a decent price, and it's half the car that the model S is, they're going to sell a lot of them.

Hard to imagine ever driving an internal combustion engine car ever again.  I love flipping off gas stations when I drive by.

Everything about this car has been awesome.  Delivery was great, and the car is unbelievable.  If Tesla can bring the model 3 in at a decent price, and it's half the car that the model S is, they're going to sell a lot of them.

Hard to imagine ever driving an internal combustion engine car ever again.  I love flipping off gas stations when I drive by.
Congrats!

@elonmusk

Promising early results from the Ludricrous Easter egg. Looks like 0 to 60 mph in 2.34 sec (Motor Trend spec) might be achievable...

Just surpassed Ford in marketcap.  3 billion or so away from being the top valued American "car" company 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just surpassed Ford in marketcap.  3 billion or so away from being the top valued American "car" company 
They're valued at about $500k per car sold.

Ford at about $5,500 per car sold. 

Ford sold as many F Series trucks in the last 3 weeks as Tesla will sell total automobiles in 2017. 

They're valued at about $500k per car sold.

Ford at about $5,500 per car sold. 

Ford sold as many F Series trucks in the last 3 weeks as Tesla will sell total automobiles in 2017. 

Edited 16 hours ago by fantasycurse42
Wow! How many times earnings is that? Just guessing...1,500? 5,000? 

Wow! How many times earnings is that? Just guessing...1,500? 5,000? 
Earnings? I follow a lot of tickers, but IIRC, they had one slightly profitable quarter in 2016. They're burning cash like nothing else and prob lost a few gazillion dollars last year. 

This stock is a glowing example of what is wrong with the market today. 

This isn't a tech company, regardless of what anyone says, they are an automobile company with an extremely unprofitable solar company under their umbrella. They should be valued like an automobile company. I have no issues with multipliers for growing companies, but don't assign a tech company valuation here.

This is priced for perfection about 15-20 years out - I would never short it bc the Tesla stock fanboys are unstoppable, but I am excited to watch it fall 30% during the next market correction (at which point it will still be grossly overvalued).

Furthermore, the fanboys all scream about autopilot and all of these other features, as if other manufacturers aren't developing something very similar. Most of the fanboys are prob blind to the fact that Lexus (and I'm sure others) have products that allows cars to share information with other cars on the road. In example, I'm on a computer-drive mode in my Lexus doing 70 and coming up to the car in the left lane in front of me on computer-drive mode too, who is doing 60 - the car communicates with the slower automobile in front of it and that vehicle moves over. 

Tesla delivers 25k cars instead of 23,500 and their stock is worth an extra $7B - it is truly astonishing to watch. That difference wouldn't even register for a millisecond from another manufacturer, yet alone move a stock $7B. 

I don't have anything against the company, but the way it trades and the valuation is beyond anything I can comprehend. I just avoid it, I'd love to short it, but this is just something I'll stay clear of instead. Tesla has reached full insanity mode.

I might actually buy Ford stock. 

Do you think the people buying Ford pickups and trucks want Teslas? I personally don't. 

I might actually buy Ford stock. 

Do you think the people buying Ford pickups and trucks want Teslas? I personally don't. 
That seems like a strange way to justify it.  Who said Ford truck owners were jumping ship to buy a Tesla?

Tesla has passed General Motors as America's largest automobile company on less than 1% of GM's sales volume.

I get it, you love the car, and I didn't say anything about it not being a great car :shrug:

The valuation is just absurd, just my .02. 
You've poopoo'd the Model X upthread.  It's has it's quirks but the performance numbers and the engineering of it are pretty impressive.

This latest price action, in my humble opinion, is a continuation of the tencent news.  A chinese internet giant now backing them along with their country shifting to more EVs, well there's a lot of potential there.

You've poopoo'd the Model X upthread.  It's has it's quirks but the performance numbers and the engineering of it are pretty impressive.

This latest price action, in my humble opinion, is a continuation of the tencent news.  
Thanks for pointing that out. I stand by it, the Model X is hideous, possibly the ugliest SUV I've ever seen. When I see one, I like to point and laugh at the owner. 

I was strictly referring to the car, and no question about it, the Model S is a great car, not for me, but I understand the allure. It is fast as balls, good range, and loaded with tech - personally I'd rather an S63 if I'm up in a loaded S's range, but everyone is different. 

More shorts are going to have to cover sending this into an even dumber valuation too.

So bizarre...

Tesla has inched ahead of General Motors to become the most valuable car company in America.

The electric-car maker hit a market value of $50.84 billion on Monday, edging past GM (GM) at $50.79 billion.

It's another milestone for Tesla (TSLA), which passed Ford (F), valued at about $45 billion, last week. 
Tesla loses money, and it sells a small fraction of the cars of its much older competitors. Tesla sold about 25,000 of its Model S and Model X cars in the first three months of the year, compared with 690,000 cars and trucks for GM and 617,000 for Ford.

Rebecca Lindland, executive analyst at Kelley Blue Book, says Tesla is being treated differently than other carmakers. "They're classified as a tech company," she told CNNMoney, "so they're not really held to the same standards."

She adds that while Wall Street focuses on more traditional criteria -- like profitability -- for established companies like Ford and GM, "Tesla kind of gets a free pass."

Lindland doesn't think the attention Tesla's been getting from the stock market is necessarily unwarranted, especially if electric and self-driving cars take off as expected.

"When we think about the future of mobility, they're very well-positioned," she says.

Hey GB,

How about an update on your experience after 7 months? 

Any issues? If yes, how was your Tesla service experience. Do they have service centers in TX or do you rely on rangers? Do you plug in every night at home? Have you taken it on any road trips? Wasn't sure if you got a RWD or dual motor 75D. Appreciate any feedback, TIA.

Hey GB,

How about an update on your experience after 7 months? 

Any issues? If yes, how was your Tesla service experience. Do they have service centers in TX or do you rely on rangers? Do you plug in every night at home? Have you taken it on any road trips? Wasn't sure if you got a RWD or dual motor 75D. Appreciate any feedback, TIA.
Still in love with it.  No issues yet.  Really fun to drive.  Haven't been in for service yet.  There is a service center within 15 miles when I'm ready.  Currently debating whether to prepay for the service plan.

i don't plug in every night, probably twice a week.  I don't put that many miles on it, only about 3K in the first 6 months.

planning a road trip to PA in June.  That'll be the big test.  I've got the route mapped out, with an average of about 225 miles between Superchargers.  I've got the RWD S75.

Those are just US sales numbers for Ford and GM vs global numbers for Tesla.  If Tesla can figure out how to manufacture at scale, become an amazing distributor without a franchised dealer network, and overcome capacity and charging issues, it may justify a stock price over $150 share. 
But they're the future :shrug:

Paying a gazillion X multiple on the hopes of everything going flawless for a decade is smart investing. I can think of an entire handful of them it has worked out for, with Amazon being the only one actually deserving of it. Maybe they're the next Amazon :sarcasm:

Tesla apparently had a commercial contest (they famously spend $0 on advertising), and it was won by a tech vlogger in Jersey, Marques Brownlee*.

1st Prize - Musk flew him to Fremont for the Model 3 handover event.

Project Loveday

Tesla to date is more cult than company. Will be interesting to see how they evolve now that they are marketing to the masses.

*also a professional "athlete", if being in the lowest paid team sports league in North America (MLU) is your thing.

First negative I've found.  Apparently sitting in a 108 degree heat index causes the battery coolant system to run almost constantly, so it loses some battery charge obviously. Looking online this seems pretty normal, but I may be losing a little more than expected.  Have my first yearly service in a month so I'll get it checked out.

First negative I've found.  Apparently sitting in a 108 degree heat index causes the battery coolant system to run almost constantly, so it loses some battery charge obviously. Looking online this seems pretty normal, but I may be losing a little more than expected.  Have my first yearly service in a month so I'll get it checked out.
If the battery coolant didn't run, under loading you will be decreasing the lifespan of the battery.  

It is actually a slightly bigger concern to charge a hot battery than discharge it, I wonder sometimes about doing a hot supercharge and what that does to the cells.  It can't be good.

If the battery coolant didn't run, under loading you will be decreasing the lifespan of the battery.  

It is actually a slightly bigger concern to charge a hot battery than discharge it, I wonder sometimes about doing a hot supercharge and what that does to the cells.  It can't be good.
oh I agree, you have to do it.  But if you left it out in the heat long enough the battery would run down to nothing.

not a huge deal, but it was a surprise.

Earning report after the bell.  I expect there to be major Model 3 delays, but lets see how they spin it.  

In early July, Elon set the monthly production stages as:

• 30 - July
  • 100 - August
  • 1500 - September
  • 20,000 - Decemeber
Quite the ramp up for a factory that is now producing three different models.

I also am looking for guidance on average transaction price on Model 3 and how much more capital they need to raise, even with all of this additional revenue projected to come in.

I called about a month ago and tried to pre-order (10) of these for our business as fleet cars and they said they're only available for personal pre-orders at this time.

Earning report after the bell.  I expect there to be major Model 3 delays, but lets see how they spin it.  

• 30 - July
  • 100 - August
  • 1500 - September
  • 20,000 - Decemeber

I also am looking for guidance on average transaction price on Model 3 and how much more capital they need to raise, even with all of this additional revenue projected to come in.
Dying to buy some $310 puts dated for August 4th, currently about $4.90 - not going to, because nothing really matters to Tesla bulls, but man I would love to!!

• 30 - July
  • 100 - August
  • 1500 - September
  • 20,000 - Decemeber

vs. a 1500 September target, Tesla produced 260 Model 3's and was able to deliver 220 of them in Q3.  Elon will tweet something and the stock price will go up 5%.

vs. a 1500 September target, Tesla produced 260 Model 3's and was able to deliver 220 of them in Q3.  Elon will tweet something and the stock price will go up 5%.
He already explained it, it was "bottleneck production," as they referred to it.

What's the matter? Bottleneck production isn't a good enough response for you, not enough details. Well, he is Elon Musk, TESLA, #### off (sarcasm :)  )

Users who are viewing this thread