What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Elway or Brees - who is the better all-time QB? (1 Viewer)

Who is the better all-time QB?

• John Elway

Votes: 40 32.3%
  • Drew Brees

Votes: 84 67.7%

• Total voters
91.6 rating outdoors, which is better than 14/16 of elway's seasons.  65% completion, better than any season Elway put together.  

Hell, Brees 15 games in the playoffs is better than any season Elway had, statistically.
Not sure how relevant that is, given they played in different eras.

It is next to impossible to compare players from different eras. As for the Top 100 list, they intentionally took players across the history of the NFL and mostly avoided current players. Not sure the list is a true ranking of the best players, only a list of some of the best players from each era. 

Let’s pretend his final season didn’t happen.  That was tough to watch.
At times, yes, but without him they do not win the Super Bowl.  He saved their bacon in the week 17 game against the Chargers when Osweiler was ####ting the bed (they lose that game, they do not win the division and end up as the 5 seed instead of the 1 seed), and he made big plays in both playoff wins over Pittsburgh and New England.  

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't that close a call for me. It's Elway.   He WAS their team for a good long time - not close to the weapons nor system that Brees worked under. As noted, the Dome and Brees' home vs. away is big here, while Denver was at Mile High, cold weather, snow, winds and rain.

While Elway got his two rings long after his peak, he was still an essential element - and had he anything close to the running game of T Davis in his prime, you don't have only SB losses. 

Elway had a bigger arm, and his ability to scramble and make a play on his own are nearly unrivaled during his era. 

Basically, put Brees on those Broncos, and they might not even make the SBs in Elways prime (quite well have with Davis, IF weather didn't get in the way). Put Elway on these Saints? OMFG.  Wow.

No, fair point. Still the bulk of his career stats were done indoors. 
True, but I have no doubt that he still would have had the same career playing just about anywhere.  Maybe an extra game in a cold and/or bad weather city in December would ding his stats just a tad, but not enough to be significant when looking at his career as a whole.  Plus, the more you play in bad weather, the better you get at it.  When you rarely play in snow or freezing cold weather, of course you are going to struggle in it, as opposed to the players who are a little more used to it. 

Hadn’t thought about the weather but we’ve seen Brady, Manning and Rodgers shred record books playing in bad weather cities so I’m not sure we can definitively say that has an impact.
That, plus people take the assumption as fact, which always bothered me. 

From what I’ve seen, most dome QBs struggle outdoors and/or in bad weather. 

but that’s because they’ve acclimated to the dome/turf.

one can’t assume they have sucked had say Brees or Matt Ryan been drafted by GB or Denver. They likely would have acclimated to playing in those conditions as well. 

Elways was a highly regarded player who mostly played average but won a Super Bowl. Brees has performed at a far higher level his entire career and has also won a Super Bowl.

Not even close: Brees is far better.

and his ability to scramble and make a play on his own are nearly unrivaled during his era. 

as has been pointed out, his scrambling has been vastly overstated/overrated. He didn’t run as much as people seem to remember him running. 

Basically, put Brees on those Broncos, and they might not even make the SBs in Elways prime (quite well have with Davis, IF weather didn't get in the way).
You can’t know that though. Brees May well have been just as good in those conditions. Impossible to say this definitively. 

Put Elway on these Saints? OMFG.  Wow.
And maybe they’re terrible? Again, we don’t know. 

Broncos didn’t when he threw 50 TDs. Doesn’t represent the bulk of his stats but shows that it’s not automatically limiting QB success.
To be fair, I've lived in Denver the past two seasons.  The majority of Sundays it's 50+ degrees and there has yet to be a game played in inclement weather.  It happens but is very rare.

Elways was a highly regarded player who mostly played average but won a Super Bowl. Brees has performed at a far higher level his entire career and has also won a Super Bowl.

Not even close: Brees is far better.
I have had the pleasure to watch both careers in full.  I've never heard of Elway as a player who "mostly played average" (also, he won two SBs, and singlehandedly brought his team to another).  What is your basis for this conclusion? Not saying it's wrong, but I've never seen anything to suggest mostly average.

You can’t know that though. Brees May well have been just as good in those conditions. Impossible to say this definitively. 

And maybe they’re terrible? Again, we don’t know. 
Of course we don't know. But we can postulate and use reason in doing so.  :shrug:   I mean, isn't that part of the purpose of these lists in the first place.

To be fair, I've lived in Denver the past two seasons.  The majority of Sundays it's 50+ degrees and there has yet to be a game played in inclement weather.  It happens but is very rare.
That’s true, Denver’s weather is often mild. Even when you think about each year in “bad weather areas”, it’s maybe 6 weeks of potentially really bad weather. So when you figure half those games are on the road and plenty of those games are played under mild conditions, weather is likely a lot more random the we are attributing. 

Also that maybe means people can’t use Elway player in Denver as any kind of excuse either.

All the "what ifs" and talk about weapons in this thread is nothing short of comical.
Glad to amuse you - might you have anything substantive to defend your position, especially in regard to surrounding talent? Do you dispute that having significantly different personal and/or overall level of surrounding talent does not impact one's career - and might impact different players in both different ways, and to varying degrees?

This is actually a fair point - Denver rarely gets the type of wind/rain that is most impactful on passing games as compared to the midwest and northeast.

Exactly - I have friends in Denver & it was warmer there (62) than it was here in CA (54) the other day. 

no one in football “single-handedly” does anything. I’m just sayin. 
Its a turn of phrase, not to be taken literally.

If we want to turn this into semantics, I'd suggest that I've never seen a player be as impactful on his own, and make the offense that much better with him than without him, than Elway. Perhaps LT on defense, but even the greatest defender in the world doesn't touch the ball in every play (though certainly influences it)

Is weighted AV adjusted based on The leaguewide stats in a given year?  Like is it based on a z score?
I believe AV is based on a player’s individual performance compared to the rest of the league in that season. That being said, the HOF scores are not just a list of CareerAV. That is one of the considerations, but awards, championships, etc. are also part of the equation. 

I believe AV is based on a player’s individual performance compared to the rest of the league in that season. That being said, the HOF scores are not just a list of CareerAV. That is one of the considerations, but awards, championships, etc. are also part of the equation. 
Just wait until Eli gets in… People will be scratching their head for decades afterwards trying to calculate who’s better than who with him blowing the curve. :lol:  

Just wait until Eli gets in… People will be scratching their head for decades afterwards trying to calculate who’s better than who with him blowing the curve. :lol:  
Eli got a HOF score of 77. The average HOF QB score is 96. 

But Eli scores higher than Moon, Griese, Aikman, Dawson, Kelly, and Namath. So he won’t be considered the lowest common denominator. 

But Eli scores higher than Moon, Griese, Aikman, Dawson, Kelly, and Namath. So he won’t be considered the lowest common denominator. 
The only one that surprises me on that list is Moon. 

That, plus people take the assumption as fact, which always bothered me. 

From what I’ve seen, most dome QBs struggle outdoors and/or in bad weather. 

but that’s because they’ve acclimated to the dome/turf.

one can’t assume they have sucked had say Brees or Matt Ryan been drafted by GB or Denver. They likely would have acclimated to playing in those conditions as well. 
I think Brees still would have been a great QB of he played predominantly in open air stadiums - I just think playing in perfect conditions and not dealing with wind, rain, cold and snow has to help with elite production. I’m sure he’d still be in this conversation if he stayed in San Diego, even, but his numbers would probably be down some in that case.

Honestly there’s no right or wrong answer here as we can only really compare what our eyes see (saw) and actual statistics. Playing that “what if” game isn’t going to really add any substance to the debate  - it’s just opinion/preference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Brees still would have been a great QB of he played predominantly in open air stadiums - I just think playing in perfect conditions and not dealing with wind, rain, cold and snow has to help with elite production. I’m sure he’d still be in this conversation if he stayed in San Diego, even, but his numbers would probably be down some in that case.

Honestly there’s no right or wrong answer here as we can only really compare what our eyes see (saw) and actual statistics. Playing that “what if” game isn’t going to really add any substance to the debate  - it’s just opinion/preference.
Completely agree. And as someone mentioned above, not every game at Green Bay is played on the frozen tundra, nor is every game at Mile High a white-out condition snow storm. 

It seems like every time a discussion like this comes up, the home fields of the Denver & GB QBs gets wildly exaggerated to elevate them/win a tiebreaker. 

Brees has averaged 54 yards per game and almost a yard per attempt better playing indoors. He has similar numbers on turf vs. grass. Not saying he wouldn’t have been a top tier QB, but averaging 307 yards a game playing indoors is nuts. 

Fun discussion 👍 Elway was an elite physical talent that went to 3 Super Bowls and won 2. Brees is an average physical talent but an elite mental talent that's won a Super Bowl and may likely own all noteworthy passing records by taking full advantage of the rules during his time of play. Brees was screwed late out of 1, possibly 2 SB appearances in the last 2 years. But the argument could be made that he didn't do enough in those games to prevent the possibility. Man this is a tough call but I'd go Elway. If he were coached by Payton in this era. 😳

I didn’t vote. Probably won’t. Using stats to compare these two is pointless. Does anyone who saw Elway play really think he wouldn’t be throwing for 4,500 yards and 30+ touchdowns if he played with today’s rules? They are both all-time greats and when they do this list again in 10 years when Brees is retired, I’m sure he’ll be on the list. 

This isn't that close a call for me. It's Elway.   He WAS their team for a good long time - not close to the weapons nor system that Brees worked under. As noted, the Dome and Brees' home vs. away is big here, while Denver was at Mile High, cold weather, snow, winds and rain.

While Elway got his two rings long after his peak, he was still an essential element - and had he anything close to the running game of T Davis in his prime, you don't have only SB losses. 

Elway had a bigger arm, and his ability to scramble and make a play on his own are nearly unrivaled during his era. 

Basically, put Brees on those Broncos, and they might not even make the SBs in Elways prime (quite well have with Davis, IF weather didn't get in the way). Put Elway on these Saints? OMFG.  Wow.
Good call. Elway played on teams that probably had no business in the Super Bowl, yet he got them there. The final game didn’t go well, but to start so many SBs is an amazing feat. 

Elway always wondered what his stats could have been in Bill Walsh’s west coast offense.  If he had played in it, it’d make comparing his stats to modern QBs easier. Unfortunately, he played under Dan Reeves many years where the game plan seemed to be pretty conservative until it was time to unleash Elway in the fourth quarter. 

I didn’t vote. Probably won’t. Using stats to compare these two is pointless. Does anyone who saw Elway play really think he wouldn’t be throwing for 4,500 yards and 30+ touchdowns if he played with today’s rules? They are both all-time greats and when they do this list again in 10 years when Brees is retired, I’m sure he’ll be on the list. 
Who comes off? (As I mentioned, I don’t believe Favre deserves quite this high a praise)

Me, I would have Staubach and Dan Marino off of the list and would have Bart Starr and Terry Bradshaw on the list.  Where I would squeeze Brees in is if he gets another Super Bowl win I might bump Bradshaw for him.  I would certainly do it if he got two more.  

I think Brees is better at playing QB in today's version of the NFL, especially for Sean Payton and with a dome for home field. But I think Elway was better at playing QB in the version of the NFL that existed in his career, especially playing outside and at times in challenging weather conditions.

Elway had his version of Payton in Mike Shanahan, but only got to play for him for his last 4 seasons, playing his first 10 seasons for Reeves and the next 2 for Wade Phillips. That is context that is relevant in any attempt to compare their statistical achievements. But, of course, such comparisons are not terribly relevant anyway due to era differences.

Elway took his team to 6 conference championship games and 5 Super Bowls and won 2 championships. Those are team accomplishments, but he was obviously the key player on those teams, just as Brees is for the Saints. He deservedly gets credit for greater postseason success than Brees.

It's very close. IMO they are both right on the border of top 10 all time. For me, tier 1 is Brady, tier 2 is Montana and Unitas, and tier 3 must include Peyton, Marino, Young, Graham, and Favre. That leaves a group including Elway, Brees, Luckman, Rodgers, Baugh, Staubach, etc. to fill the remaining 2 spots in the top 10. There aren't really any wrong answers, it is splitting hairs.

As for the NFL top 100, they clearly attempted to spread the selections over many generations of players, which would be a factor in selecting Elway over Brees.

Brees is awesome, so this is not an argument against him so much as it is one for Elway.  Sure, Elway never threw more than 27 TDs in a season, but Joe Montana only did it twice (and 31 was his high).  Quarterbacks back then didn't throw for as many TD's and yards as they do now, Marino in '84 notwithstanding.

But they still had to throw accurately. Throwing the ball hasn't changed. I watched Elway's games also.  He never really lived up to the hype. The teams that won carried him long after his prime. The reality is that the running game and defense carried those teams.  Although Rod Smith, Shannon Sharpe and Ed McCaffrey were not anything to sneeze at.   

How can you say that Brees won with sub-par receiving talent, while ignoring that Elway did that for most of his career (until he Pro Bowl and HOF talent at the skill positions in the 90's)?   Heck, Michael Thomas is better than any WR Elway ever had.

Elway had the 3 Amigos, Rod Smith, Ed McCaffrey, Vance Johnson, Shannon Sharpe.  I could argue Shannon Sharpe would be as good as Michael Thomas if he was in the same passing system MT is in (and that Marquis Colston and Cook thrived in)

Plus, Elway played his career outside in the cold in Denver, while Brees has played inside in a dome for most of his career, and I believe the numbers have shown that Brees isn't the stud QB outside that he is inside. 

Thinner air?  When the Broncos win they are gassing opponents.  Many people say that is an advantage,  It cuts both ways.  Brees has been remarkably consistent and accurate and quick to get rid of the ball.  I could see an argument for Peyton Manning, or Brady, or Favre, or Joe Montana, or Dan Marino, or even Steve Young before I can see an argument for Elway just based on his football career.

I'd have Brees pretty comfortably over Elway. 

I'd take every single one of these QB's over Eli. 

Also, Staubach in the top-10 is a joke.

Tom Landry basically proved that his quarterbacks were nothing more than interchangeable play callers. Danny White stepped right into Staubach's shoes and they didn't miss a beat.

Users who are viewing this thread