What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN's 30 for 30- Buffalo Bills episode premieres 12/12 (1 Viewer)

Decent, but nothing captivating. Below average for a 30 for 30.

Would have been entertaining to watch those basketball teams with Jason Williams and Moss.

I watched the new Rand University last night and while it was well produced, I think they missed a lot of things. They definitely did a good job covering Moss and getting interviews with him and some childhood friends. But it seemed very weighted towards Moss and racism being the factor for his shortcomings, as opposed to just the general issues of poverty and unemployment in towns like Rand.

Examples of what was missed...

1) Rand is only a few miles from Charleston (pop. about 50k and the biggest city in West Virginia). The producer acts like Rand in the middle of nowhere. For West Virginia, Rand is not far from civilization. Heck, it's in the same county as Charleston I think. The poverty in Rand is nowhere near as bad as the poverty in rural West Virginia, where tents and trailers are literally in hollows that nobody can even find.

2) They said only one small mention about Jason Williams, NBA PG that was a high school basketball teammate of Moss for 3 years (Williams and his family actually lived in a house on the school grounds). There was probably a very good story in there about Williams being incredibly similar to Moss. He's a marijuana user, despite having a police officer as a father, and that drug use crosses racial lines in poverty stricken America. He hates the media. He's made racial slurs to Asians at games. Williams was also trying to leave West Virginia (signed with Providence, had to go to Marshall, ended up at Florida). I also love how the producer makes it seems Moss and his two friends were the best basketball players there. Go watch You Tube videos. Moss may have made all-state, but Williams was WV player of the year, the team leader and best player by far. If I recall, they made state finals with Williams. Moss had one more year of HS after that and if my memory is right they were not that good. You can see some Williams HS highlights on youtube.

3) I wish they had gotten more interviews with his mother. She seems like a good person trying her best and an interesting character. Religious, but with a son that does a lot of wrong things due to environment. I would have also liked to know about his Dad, where he was, does anyone even know who he is?

4) Jerry West grew up a few miles down the road too. Would have been nice to have at least mentioned it.

5) Dupont HS is no more. There was a big to do about that, but no mention of it in the story.

So I enjoyed it, but felt a lot of things were missed just so the producer could take the time to put up a defense of Randy Moss.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched the new Rand University last night and while it was well produced, I think they missed a lot of things. They definitely did a good job covering Moss and getting interviews with him and some childhood friends. But it seemed very weighted towards Moss and racism being the factor for his shortcomings, as opposed to just the general issues of poverty and unemployment in towns like Rand.

1) Rand is only a few miles from Charleston (pop. about 50k and the biggest city in West Virginia). The producer acts like Rand in the middle of nowhere. For West Virginia, Rand is not far from civilization. Heck, it's in the same county as Charleston I think. Heck, the poverty in Rand is nowhere near as bad as the poverty in rural West Virginia, where tents and trailers are literally in hollows that nobody can even find.

2) They said only one small mention about Jason Williams, NBA PG that was a high school basketball teammate of Moss for 3 years (Williams and his family actually lived in a house on the school grounds). There was probably a very good story in there about Williams being incredibly similar to Moss. He's a marijuana user, despite having a police officer as a father, and that drug use crosses racial lines in poverty stricken America. He hates the media. He's made racial slurs to Asians at games. Williams was also trying to leave West Virginia (signed with Providence, had to go to Marshall, ended up at Florida). I also love how the producer makes it seems Moss and his two friends were the best basketball players there. Go watch You Tube videos. Moss may have made all-state, but Williams was WV player of the year, the team leader and best player by far. If I recall, they made state finals with Williams. Moss had one more year of HS after that and if my memory is right they were not that good. You can see some Williams HS highlights on youtube.

3) I wish they had gotten more interviews with his mother. She seems like a good person trying her best and an interesting character. Religious, but with a son that does a lot of wrong things due to environment. I would have also liked to know about his Dad, where he was, does anyone even know who he is?

4) Jerry West grew up a few miles down the road too. Would have been nice to have at least mentioned it.

5) Dupont HS is no more. There was a big to do about that, but no mention of it in the story.

So I enjoyed it, but felt a lot of things were missed just so the producer could take the time to put up a defense of Randy Moss.
Heck, your post is a bit more interesting than the show was.

1) Rand is only a few miles from Charleston (pop. about 50k and the biggest city in West Virginia). The producer acts like Rand in the middle of nowhere. For West Virginia, Rand is not far from civilization. Heck, it's in the same county as Charleston I think. Heck, the poverty in Rand is nowhere near as bad as the poverty in rural West Virginia, where tents and trailers are literally in hollows that nobody can even find.

I missed the 1st half so didn't catch the high school part. Disappointed there wasn't more white chocolate in the story.

Good post. Especially #2. And they didn't even mention his brother Eric aside from the shot of the Rand sign at the end. I know they had limited time (should've been 90-120 minutes) but come on

Agree with the shoulder pad comment, found them extremely annoying.
From a filmmaking perspective, this documentary is very well done. Being somewhat of a stickler for details, there was little to complain about aside from the ridiculously bulky and oversized shoulder-pads Moss wore in high school (I hope this drives someone else crazy as it looked like he had a set of encyclopedia’s on top of each shoulder).

I actually don't understand the should pad comment. Was the filmmaker supposed to not show those or edit them to look smaller :confused:

From a filmmaking perspective, this documentary is very well done. Being somewhat of a stickler for details, there was little to complain about aside from the ridiculously bulky and oversized shoulder-pads Moss wore in high school (I hope this drives someone else crazy as it looked like he had a set of encyclopedia’s on top of each shoulder).

I actually don't understand the should pad comment. Was the filmmaker supposed to not show those or edit them to look smaller :confused:

When was the last
The point he was making is WR's don't typically wear these gigantic shoulder pads, it limits their range of motion. No clue why Randy had on these huge funny looking pads, it was the first thing I noticed on his HS highlights.

I missed why he went to jail in high school?

Loved how they also glossed over his domestic abuse of his infant child's mom.

Just a good 'ol boy.

Later in the episode, we learn that one of the things that made Moss such a controversial figure in West Virginia, long before he was nationally known, was that he had fathered a child with a young white woman.
His daughter.

She and her father have had very little interaction during her life, according to several reports.
If you do a search on Google, most of the headlines after last Friday's game against Waynesburg say Randy Moss' daughter. If you ask Sydney Moss' friends and teammates about her dad, they are very protective.

"She knows all of her personal experiences. These are her accomplishments, not his," said Wainscott, who has known Moss since AAU ball. "He isn't really a part of her life. He isn't here cheering her on and witnessing the things she's accomplishing. So why are there pictures of him on all her accomplishments? We just don't get it. Those things are going to happen. She's her own person and we respect and appreciate that. We wish others would also."

The best way to describe the current relationship is on and off. Hans said the only thing he knows about the relationship is that they talk occasionally.

When was the last
The point he was making is WR's don't typically wear these gigantic shoulder pads, it limits their range of motion. No clue why Randy had on these huge funny looking pads, it was the first thing I noticed on his HS highlights.
I hear ya. Maybe it was just poorly written. A being a stickler for details myself, he shouldn't have made it seem like a complaint in the filmmaking.

If I had to guess, I'd say they probably did that because a) it was cool at the time and b) to make him seem bigger for recruiting. He eventually got bigger and stronger but was pretty thin in HS

The way they introduced racism into the story was curious. It felt awkward as he just came out and said it for the first time right before they went into the story about him and the other dude sending another student to the hospital.

Then he was the one blamed. Lots of excuses.

I like moss and I enjoyed the show. Brunell's post was along the lines of my thoughts as well.

My biggest complaint is that I don't think you can really tell the story of Moss without telling his NFL story. They have interviews with Moss which, while showing some lingering denial of reality, tries to portray Randy as a mature wisened person...which I don't think is reality. They gloss over his NFL career as only consisting of his draft day fall, but reserection with gaudy career numbers. But, there is so much more to the full story.

As far as Williams' mention, I think it would have hurt the focus of the film by including him more. The question of the movie seemed to be "we have so many athletes here, why is Randy Moss the only one to escape?" That's a lot harder hitting question than "we have so many athletes here, why is Randy Moss, Jason Williams, and (I'd include) his teammate that went to Notre Dame the only ones to escape (maybe there's more)?" The focus isn't on Randy anymore, and maybe he wouldn't have been cooperative if he wasn't.

The way they introduced racism into the story was curious. It felt awkward as he just came out and said it for the first time right before they went into the story about him and the other dude sending another student to the hospital.

Then he was the one blamed. Lots of excuses.

I like moss and I enjoyed the show. Brunell's post was along the lines of my thoughts as well.
I like his defense of his role in the fight. "All I did was stomp on the back of his neck...twice...when he was on the ground. That's all. And they treat me like it was all me." Yes, stomping an already beat up kid...no puishment worthy there.

I feel like they got caught between a doc about Randy Moss and one about Rand, WV and couldn't really make up their mind. They could have done a real nice film if they focused on one or the other but instead you are left not really feeling like you got the full story on either one.

I feel like they got caught between a doc about Randy Moss and one about Rand, WV and couldn't really make up their mind. They could have done a real nice film if they focused on one or the other but instead you are left not really feeling like you got the full story on either one.

1) Rand is only a few miles from Charleston (pop. about 50k and the biggest city in West Virginia). The producer acts like Rand in the middle of nowhere. For West Virginia, Rand is not far from civilization. Heck, it's in the same county as Charleston I think. The poverty in Rand is nowhere near as bad as the poverty in rural West Virginia, where tents and trailers are literally in hollows that nobody can even find.
"For Rwanda, we are amazingly technologically advanced. Have you seen our bucket attached to a rope?"

Edit: I kid, I kid. I'm in Louisiana.

Mom was such a strict disciplinarian but wouldn't make him lose the sunglasses at the Heisman ceremony? Would have easily been the greatest of all-time if not for the knucklehead factor. Got run out of every NFL team he was on. Blew not one but two chances to play for a college football powerhouse and lucky to have gotten a third chance at Marshall. What the documentary should have said was that if not for this guy being the most talented football prospect ever he would have for sure ended up at Rand University. Of all the dumb things this guy did along the way the dumbest has to be his behavior and attitude that last season in New England. Makes mistake after mistake after mistake and somehow ends up on the best team with the best coach, breaking records, playing in a Superbowl and he throws that away too. Even now he lands at fox as a highly paid analyst. How soon until he blows that?

What the documentary should have said was that if not for this guy being the most talented football prospect ever he would have for sure ended up at Rand University.
Thought they kind of touched on that at the end when they interviewed Singleton.

Singleton was talking about how he got drafted by the Brewers and was in their farm system and then got busted for weed and ended up where he is now because of that. He looked at the camera and said "I know what you want to ask, go ahead and ask it". To me, I thought he was referring to Moss. As in, Singleton didn't seem to be any more of a trouble maker than Moss, but because Moss was more talented, he kept getting more chances, while Singleton didn't get anymore and is in the situation he is now.

Mom was such a strict disciplinarian but wouldn't make him lose the sunglasses at the Heisman ceremony? Would have easily been the greatest of all-time if not for the knucklehead factor. Got run out of every NFL team he was on. Blew not one but two chances to play for a college football powerhouse and lucky to have gotten a third chance at Marshall. What the documentary should have said was that if not for this guy being the most talented football prospect ever he would have for sure ended up at Rand University. Of all the dumb things this guy did along the way the dumbest has to be his behavior and attitude that last season in New England. Makes mistake after mistake after mistake and somehow ends up on the best team with the best coach, breaking records, playing in a Superbowl and he throws that away too. Even now he lands at fox as a highly paid analyst. How soon until he blows that?
Not really a point to your statement but I was complaining about the quality of player in the broadcast booth bastardizing the term analyst and my buddy just tells me "maybe all the intelligent players saved up their money and don't need the job." I took some solace in that.

What the documentary should have said was that if not for this guy being the most talented football prospect ever he would have for sure ended up at Rand University.
Thought they kind of touched on that at the end when they interviewed Singleton.

Singleton was talking about how he got drafted by the Brewers and was in their farm system and then got busted for weed and ended up where he is now because of that. He looked at the camera and said "I know what you want to ask, go ahead and ask it". To me, I thought he was referring to Moss. As in, Singleton didn't seem to be any more of a trouble maker than Moss, but because Moss was more talented, he kept getting more chances, while Singleton didn't get anymore and is in the situation he is now.
I thought he was waiting to be asked about what he's doing now...and that's when he started talking about living on the streets. There wasn't a whole lot of personal responsibility demonstrated in the show. There was an explanation as to why everything happened, and regardless of what your stance is on weed, it was against the rules and against the law.

Not really a point to your statement but I was complaining about the quality of player in the broadcast booth bastardizing the term analyst and my buddy just tells me "maybe all the intelligent players saved up their money and don't need the job." I took some solace in that.
I think even for guys who did well and saved their money it'd be hard to turn down those tv jobs. It's a lot of money, not a lot of work and you get to stay close to the game. I actually think Moss is very good on TV and shows a lot of charisma which is half the battle with those ex-players. That being said the only question left is not whether or not he'll blow this opportunity but who he'll blame after it's done.

I think even for guys who did well and saved their money it'd be hard to turn down those tv jobs. It's a lot of money, not a lot of work and you get to stay close to the game. I actually think Moss is very good on TV and shows a lot of charisma which is half the battle with those ex-players. That being said the only question left is not whether or not he'll blow this opportunity but who he'll blame after it's done.
Agree with this... I'd imagine guys like Kurt Warner, Steve Young, Marshall Faulk are all financially fine... I know Young is really smart and Warner/Faulk both come off as intelligent too. I'd think they were smart about funds and just enjoy staying connected to the game.

I thought he was waiting to be asked about what he's doing now...and that's when he started talking about living on the streets.There wasn't a whole lot of personal responsibility demonstrated in the show. There was an explanation as to why everything happened, and regardless of what your stance is on weed, it was against the rules and against the law.
This part of the documentary was one of the few that made me think a bit. I have family in the deep south, and Singleton actually showed me a lot of what I see from them. So many kids have talent or smarts or chances, but 99% of them get sidetracked by drug offenses, school, crime, having kids at an early age, or having to work low level jobs to support the family (not that the latter is a bad thing). Then their dreams die. It's pretty much like the Springsteen song "The River".

Moss had the talent to overcome it, as did Williams. The other kid that went to Notre Dame had the talent to get the chance to make his life better, did the right things, and ended up with what seems like a good life. But Singleton, like much of my family, wants sympathy because he thinks it's not fair. Well, it doesn't matter if you are from Rand, Dixie Mississippi, or NYC, talent provides a lot of opportunities and extra chances. It's hardly unique to Singleton's situation. Singleton nor many in my family take any responsibility for not making the best out of what they could have become. It may not be being a star or rich, but it could at least be successful to the extent you could have made it. He had the chances, he blew them and nobody gave a damn about him (including it seems Randy Moss)..

My biggest complaint is that I don't think you can really tell the story of Moss without telling his NFL story. They have interviews with Moss which, while showing some lingering denial of reality, tries to portray Randy as a mature wisened person...which I don't think is reality. They gloss over his NFL career as only consisting of his draft day fall, but reserection with gaudy career numbers. But, there is so much more to the full story.

As far as Williams' mention, I think it would have hurt the focus of the film by including him more. The question of the movie seemed to be "we have so many athletes here, why is Randy Moss the only one to escape?" That's a lot harder hitting question than "we have so many athletes here, why is Randy Moss, Jason Williams, and (I'd include) his teammate that went to Notre Dame the only ones to escape (maybe there's more)?" The focus isn't on Randy anymore, and maybe he wouldn't have been cooperative if he wasn't.
If you're 6-4, run a 4.3 40 and have hands of glue you'll make it out of anywhere.

If you're 6-4, run a 4.3 40 and have hands of glue you'll make it out of anywhere.
Obviously that is the easy answer. But, while not disagreeing with the fact that Moss was the best ever, the claim seemed to be that they had plenty of other talented athletes but they weren't able to escape.

I agree the answer is easy, that the more talented you are, the easier it is to escape (from where ever you start). They are just trying to make it seem like a more compelling question by muddling the fact that Moss actually wasn't the only one.

Agree with this... I'd imagine guys like Kurt Warner, Steve Young, Marshall Faulk are all financially fine... I know Young is really smart and Warner/Faulk both come off as intelligent too. I'd think they were smart about funds and just enjoy staying connected to the game.
Ya I like those guys... I figured out my frustration was really toward ESPN's pathetic crew. Hines Ward and Rodney Harrison are good too even though both were ##### as players.

MattFancy said:
Willie Neslon said:

I won't pretend to have much firsthand knowledge about his baseball career, but a quick search shows that he was a 7th round pick who, in his single minor league season (only at rookie league level), was a subpar hitter and had 14 errors in 46 games. Given that there were other players on that team who only lasted for one or two seasons, it seems far fetched that he would have had a prolonged minor league career, let alone ever having a shot at the majors.

MattFancy said:
Willie Neslon said:

I won't pretend to have much firsthand knowledge about his baseball career, but a quick search shows that he was a 7th round pick who, in his single minor league season (only at rookie league level), was a subpar hitter and had 14 errors in 46 games. Given that there were other players on that team who only lasted for one or two seasons, it seems far fetched that he would have had a prolonged minor league career, let alone ever having a shot at the majors.
Correct, and when you're easily replacable, you probably don't want to get busted for weed.

Like almost all things sequel, The U part 2 will be a huge disappointment in comparison to the original... The U might be my favorite 30 for 30 so I'm still going to watch it, but my expectations are low.

MattFancy said:
Willie Neslon said:

5'9 150 pounds, Jesus.

MattFancy said:
Willie Neslon said:

5'9 150 pounds, Jesus.
Bigger than Eminence :shrug:

Jesus, just watched the Hillsboro one. The scene with just the mash of people lifeless with chaos all around it, good ####### lord.

Obviously all the attempted cover up was as bad as it gets, and those people should be murdered in hilarious and painful ways on pay per view for all of us to enjoy because they are the lowest of the low for slandering others to make themselves look better, but wow...........................they didnt even need to go into all that cover up and this would have been an incredibly good/emotional/strong documentary.

Add the cover up and follow up to it, and this is a fabulous, though hard to watch, doc.

When was the last
Wasn't Moss playing both sides of the ball in high school? Not sure that that is a great explanation, but he wasn't just a WR/kick returner I thought.

The U Part 2″ will debut after the Heisman Trophy presentation in December, making it the first 30 for 30 sequel. The U, a chronicle of the rise of the University of Miami football program in the 1980s, was one of the first 30 for 30 films, and subsequently became ESPNs most-watched documentary film in history up to that point. In The U Part 2, director Billy Corben picks up where his original film left off, with Miami trying to recover from the devastation left by NCAA sanctions and scandals.
This one is on tonight at 9. Season finale.

Whoa, they just showed a promo for the next 30 for 30 on February 8. Miracle on Ice from the USSR's perspective.

:boner:

Users who are viewing this thread