What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (1 Viewer)

Finally finished listening to yesterday's playlist. Favorite new-to-me from the #27s:

Extraordinary -- Liz Phair (Simsarge)
I confess that this is new to me while F*ck and Run isn't. I loved her first two albums, was meh on her third, and when I heard she went the Alanis/Avril route on her fourth, I didn't bother to check it out. I can't speak to the rest of the record, but this song is ... extraordinary. The melody and production just burst forth exuberantly and the riffs quickly hook into your brain and just don't let go. And the lyrics are as wild as her earlier ones. Sure doesn't sound like someone who betrayed her gift, which is what the music press wanted you to believe back then. The Wikipedia entry for Liz' S/T album has some pretty interesting anecdotes about how ridiculous the outrage from the music press was at the time. I will give Christgau credit, though. Sometimes I find him obnoxious, but at the time he recognized this for what it was, a great pop record.

Champagne Problems -- Taylor Swift (Chaz)
I have not listened to Swift's 2020 records in their entirety and I don't remember if this one was taken in GP4; if it was, I forgot. But this is an extremely compelling tune, wonderfully sung.

If I Had a Boat -- Lyle Lovett (Landryshat)
Wonderfully wistful.

It took all day but I listened to 'em all.

Elderly Woman etc. - Pearl Jam - PJ has never been my faves but I liked this one.

champagne problems - Tswift - First appearance here? folklore and evermore will probably remind me more of 2020 than any other albums.

Bad Seamstress Blues - Cinderella - Legitimately surprised by this in the best way possible

What About Us - Pink - This one sounds like a @ditkaburgers pick. The girl loves some choruses.

I Will Always Love You - Whitney - It was so overplayed at the time but the years have given perspective to what a great record this is. The voice of course but David Foster's production is perfect. The downbeat before the last chorus is :chefskiss:

Exiled - Floater - I guessed 1998 but the record came out in 2000.

Come Pick Me Up - Ryan Adams - There was a time when this or another Adams song would have made my list.

Forgot About Dre - Dre knows enough about what makes a great recording to pass the mic to Em promptly.

Everybody Dance - Chic - The organization was on my long list. Such a great bassline.

If I Had a Boat - Lovett - Song was on my longlist

**** and Run - Liz - Love the album but it would have meant more to me if it came out a few years earlier when we were raising babies. The little four bar bridge at the end elevates the song.

Welcome to My Nightmare - Alice Cooper - Teenage Eephus didn't hear the vocal similarities to Jim Morrison. The instrumental interlude with the trumpet part would fit on a 70s cop show soundtrack.

Me and Bobby McGee - Janis - Never cared much for her Blues beltin' but this is a wonderful record.

Avenues & Alleyways - Rancid - Banger :fistpump:

Fall on Me - R.E.M. - Life's Rich Pageant is the pinnacle IMO in a career of peaks.

Tangled Up in Blue - Dylan - Likewise for Blood on the Tracks

Extraordinary - Liz again - I saw her perform on this tour at a post-race party for a half marathon. She seemed as disinterested as most of the audience did. It's a rockin' number nonetheless.

Hey Ya - Outkast - One of those songs that always makes me happy when I hear it.

I Apologize - Huskers - New Day Rising has the least ****ty sound quality of their ****ty sounding SST albums.

A Good Idea - Sugar - Song was on my longlist

Killing Me Softly - Roberta Flack - Gorgeous song with a sparse arrangement that allows the vocal to breathe.

Nice etc. - Ambrosia - I always thought they were English. The affected singing on the verse must have had something to do with it. The arrangement is very interesting and full of surprises.

God Only Knows - Beach Boys - I have a feeling we'll hear this one again

Bouncin' Back - Mystikal - My choice. I see nobody else liked it but it was a mainstay of my playlists when I used to run a lot. My pace perked up whenever it came up on the shuffle. It's a shame Mystikal can't keep his *** out of jail but he recorded some bangers.

Boston - More Than A Feeling - Better music through science. I thought I was too cool to listen to it in 1976 but I have to acknowledge it's a fantastic sounding record.

Keep Me in your Heart - Zevon - One of Rock 'n Roll's greatest swan songs.

Tighten Up - Black Keys - The weird funky beat sounds like it's falling apart but it stays locked in the groove.

I Only Have Eyes for You - Flamingos - It's so beautiful that it makes you overlook how strange the production and harmony vocals are.

Christmas Song - Nat Cole - Two weeks too early

Come Together - MC5 - Wayne Kramer has a nice singing voice for a guy who screams so much.

Family Affair - Sly - Such a loose rubbery groove. I love There's a Riot Goin' On even though it's not the easiest listen at times.

If You Don't Want Me To - Ronnie Milsap - Overall it's a very Yacht Rock sounding song with just enough twang in Milsap's vocal. Very nice key change towards the end.
Guy Clark's L.A. Freeway feels left out.

It took all day but I listened to 'em all.

Elderly Woman etc. - Pearl Jam - PJ has never been my faves but I liked this one.

champagne problems - Tswift - First appearance here? folklore and evermore will probably remind me more of 2020 than any other albums.

Bad Seamstress Blues - Cinderella - Legitimately surprised by this in the best way possible

What About Us - Pink - This one sounds like a @ditkaburgers pick. The girl loves some choruses.

I Will Always Love You - Whitney - It was so overplayed at the time but the years have given perspective to what a great record this is. The voice of course but David Foster's production is perfect. The downbeat before the last chorus is :chefskiss:

Exiled - Floater - I guessed 1998 but the record came out in 2000.

Come Pick Me Up - Ryan Adams - There was a time when this or another Adams song would have made my list.

Forgot About Dre - Dre knows enough about what makes a great recording to pass the mic to Em promptly.

Everybody Dance - Chic - The organization was on my long list. Such a great bassline.

If I Had a Boat - Lovett - Song was on my longlist

**** and Run - Liz - Love the album but it would have meant more to me if it came out a few years earlier when we were raising babies. The little four bar bridge at the end elevates the song.

Welcome to My Nightmare - Alice Cooper - Teenage Eephus didn't hear the vocal similarities to Jim Morrison. The instrumental interlude with the trumpet part would fit on a 70s cop show soundtrack.

Me and Bobby McGee - Janis - Never cared much for her Blues beltin' but this is a wonderful record.

Avenues & Alleyways - Rancid - Banger :fistpump:

Fall on Me - R.E.M. - Life's Rich Pageant is the pinnacle IMO in a career of peaks.

Tangled Up in Blue - Dylan - Likewise for Blood on the Tracks

Extraordinary - Liz again - I saw her perform on this tour at a post-race party for a half marathon. She seemed as disinterested as most of the audience did. It's a rockin' number nonetheless.

Hey Ya - Outkast - One of those songs that always makes me happy when I hear it.

I Apologize - Huskers - New Day Rising has the least ****ty sound quality of their ****ty sounding SST albums.

A Good Idea - Sugar - Song was on my longlist

Killing Me Softly - Roberta Flack - Gorgeous song with a sparse arrangement that allows the vocal to breathe.

Nice etc. - Ambrosia - I always thought they were English. The affected singing on the verse must have had something to do with it. The arrangement is very interesting and full of surprises.

God Only Knows - Beach Boys - I have a feeling we'll hear this one again

Bouncin' Back - Mystikal - My choice. I see nobody else liked it but it was a mainstay of my playlists when I used to run a lot. My pace perked up whenever it came up on the shuffle. It's a shame Mystikal can't keep his *** out of jail but he recorded some bangers.

Boston - More Than A Feeling - Better music through science. I thought I was too cool to listen to it in 1976 but I have to acknowledge it's a fantastic sounding record.

Keep Me in your Heart - Zevon - One of Rock 'n Roll's greatest swan songs.

Tighten Up - Black Keys - The weird funky beat sounds like it's falling apart but it stays locked in the groove.

I Only Have Eyes for You - Flamingos - It's so beautiful that it makes you overlook how strange the production and harmony vocals are.

Christmas Song - Nat Cole - Two weeks too early

Come Together - MC5 - Wayne Kramer has a nice singing voice for a guy who screams so much.

Family Affair - Sly - Such a loose rubbery groove. I love There's a Riot Goin' On even though it's not the easiest listen at times.

If You Don't Want Me To - Ronnie Milsap - Overall it's a very Yacht Rock sounding song with just enough twang in Milsap's vocal. Very nice key change towards the end.
Guy Clark's L.A. Freeway feels left out.
I just recently had taken that song in Summerpalooza.

Number 26:

krista4:

Tracks of My Tears – Smokey Robinson and the Miracles

Just Win Baby:

Inside My Head (1989), from Fun & Games - The Connells

simey:

The Dark End of the Street - James Carr

scorchy:

In An Aeroplane Over the Sea – Neutral Milk Hotel

neal cassady:

Race For The Prize - The Flaming Lips

Uruk-Hai:

In The Mood - Glenn Miller

Yankee23Fan:

Hurt - Johnny Cash

Manster:

Don’t Follow - Alice in Chains

shuke:

Chaos Streams - Son Volt

rockaction:

Comfy In Nautica – Panda Bear

Mrs. Rannous:

Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm - (bonus Guzheng cover)

New Binky the Doormat:

Angel from Montgomery – Bonnie Raitt

Pip’s Invitation:

I Say A Little Prayer - Aretha Franklin

Dr. Octopus:

Kiss – Prince

Val Rannous:

Spoonman - Soundgarden

Chaz McNulty:

Everybody Hurts - R.E.M.

Don Quixote:

Ashokan Farewell - Jay Ungar

Sullie:

Red Lite, Green Lite, TNT - Kix

jwb:

Hey Nineteen – Steely Dan

DrIanMalcolm:

Get Up Offa That Thing - James Brown

Hawks64:

Heavy is the Head - Zac Brown Band, Chris Cornell

MAC_32:

Authority Song – John Mellencamp

falguy:

Rubberband Man - The Spinners

simsarge:

I Do - Lisa Loeb

worrierking:

The Boy in the Bubble - Paul Simon

Eephus:

Mannish Boy - Muddy Waters

Hov34:

Beyond - Leon Bridges

ditkaburgers:

Tell Me When To Go - E-40 ft. Keak Da Sneak

AAABatteries:

Georgia on My Mind - Ray Charles

landryshat:

Ain't That Nothin - Television

Zegras11:

Suite Madame Blue - Styx

Ilov80s:

Spottieottiedopaliscious - OutKast

Oliver Humanzee:

The End's Not Near - The New Year

The Dreaded Marco:

Brand New Love - Sebadoh

Doug B:

Misled - Kool & The Gang

I went to college at NC State and was there 1986-1991. :wolf:

The Connells were a local band that had not really hit bigger than the local scene yet, but they were one of the top headliners we could get for our fraternity parties, so that is how I got to know them and their music. Good memories. I didn't continue following them after college, but their albums Boylan Heights and Fun & Games remain in my playlists.

Uruk-Hai:

I love classic Big Band and Swing. I love horns (sadly, something most modern forms of pop no longer use much). In a lot of ways, this is my Zen music.

Which brings me to this song. That rolling horn line always reminded me of ocean waves coming onto a beach. And, like those waves, the record finds its groove right off the bat and doesn't let up one whit. This one has been famous for 80 years for all the right reasons.

A personal story in regards to this song (& probably why it places for me):

In Junior High, I was in the school band. We were fantastic and had a really hip teacher leading us. I played 2nd trombone*. My 7th grade year, we were in the county band competition. We crushed everyone in the prelims and made it to the finals. I think the finals were a final three or four bands in it. We did our set, but lost. Apparently, the judges - same ones that waved us through the early rounds - used the fact that we played "pop" against us. "In The Mood" was one of those (I also recall "M*A*S*H" and "Shaft" being two others we played). Our teacher - Mr Paxton and one of the coolest, most laid-back guys ever - had tears in his eyes telling us we didn't win. I remember one of the other school's coaches telling him that we were better than the rest. We freaking NAILED "In The Mood" the best we ever had that day.

* I was good, probably really good. I was 2nd trombone because #1 was better than me and the best musician I ever played with. If you ever listened to Tony Kornheiser's radio show in the 90s/00s, he had a "house band" - Roy Battle & The Altones (Tony pronounced it "Bat-TELL", but it was just like "battle"). Our 1st Slider (that's what we called our group, because we thought it was cool) was Roy's son Leroy. He turned into one of those people who could play any instrument better than you could - horn, guitar, recorder, triangle, drums, whatever. He was also smart as a whip. He was the youngest Slider, but acted like a bandleader. Never lorded over those of us in the lower chairs and worked us as a group so we sounded great together - something remarkable for an 11/12 year old kid. When his father passed away several years ago, I tried to find Leroy. Asked several mutual friends on FB, but struck out. I wonder whatever happened to him.

The Connells were a local band that had not really hit bigger than the local scene yet, but they were one of the top headliners we could get for our fraternity parties, so that is how I got to know them and their music. Good memories. I didn't continue following them after college, but their albums Boylan Heights and Fun & Games remain in my playlists.
My friend whom I mentioned in the Bob Mould/Bob Dylan anecdote was a big Connells fan in the early '90s. So I knew who they were even if I didn't really know their music.

Don Quixote:

Yep, the background music for Ken Burns’ Civil War documentary, where it was perhaps most famously used to accompany the reading of Sullivan Ballou’s letter. This may be the most off the wall one in my list, but the song has just stuck with me for the past 30 years, and felt I needed to include it. I find it hard to believe it was written in 1982 as what was described by Ungar as a “Scottish lament written by a Jewish guy from the Bronx.”

Pip’s Invitation:

This is one of the most remarkable singing performances I have ever heard, both from Aretha and her backing singers. The interplay between them is stunning throughout, and Aretha's "There is no one but you/Please love me too" at 2:10 is one of the most soulful, dynamic passages you'll ever hear out of a singer in less than 5 seconds. The deep yearning of the vocals is matched by the gospel-infused arrangement, which makes the bossa nova arrangement of Dionne Warwick's version (as wonderful as that is) seem like child's play.

Yep, the background music for Ken Burns’ Civil War documentary, where it was perhaps most famously used to accompany the reading of Sullivan Ballou’s letter. This may be the most off the wall one in my list, but the song has just stuck with me for the past 30 years, and felt I needed to include it. I find it hard to believe it was written in 1982 as what was described by Ungar as a “Scottish lament written by a Jewish guy from the Bronx.”
Love, love, love that song and choice. Well done, sir.

This is one of the most remarkable singing performances I have ever heard, both from Aretha and her backing singers. The interplay between them is stunning throughout, and Aretha's "There is no one but you/Please love me too" at 2:10 is one of the most soulful, dynamic passages you'll ever hear out of a singer in less than 5 seconds. The deep yearning of the vocals is matched by the gospel-infused arrangement, which makes the bossa nova arrangement of Dionne Warwick's version (as wonderful as that is) seem like child's play.
Perfect. Hat tip, sir.

Finally listened to the "new-to-me" selections from yesterday and am ready to crown the Guy Clark song as my winner. Surprisingly, though, I found a few gems in genres that aren't really for me, as I enjoyed the Cinderella, Floater, and Rancid songs as well. And in "even less my genre than those" news, the P!nk song was surprisingly listenable.

Today's winners of the songs I already knew:

Race for the Prize -- The Flaming Lips (Neal Cassady)
The Rubberband Man -- The Spinners (Falguy)
Georgia on My Mind -- Ray Charles (AAABatteries)
The Tracks of My Tears -- Smokey Robinson and the Miracles (Krista4)
The Dark End of the Street -- James Carr (Simey) -- I also love the Flying Burrito Brothers version
Spoonman -- Soundgarden (Val Rannous)
Kiss -- Prince (Doc Oc)
Hurt -- Johnny Cash (Yankee23Fan)
Get Up Offa That Thing -- James Brown (DrIanMalcolm)

Georgia on My Mind.

I picked this song for two very personal reasons.

1. My grandmother who passed away at 100 not too long ago was a Ray Charles fan - I’ve talked on the board about how she loved Seven Spanish Angels
2. I’ve lived in Georgia my entire life and imagine I will die here.

And Ray’s a badass.

Last edited:
Quick post on my choice.

I really, really don't like the original version. It's not a very good song to me and I've tried. But Cash's version, at the end of his life, with the video snippets they chose....stunningly powerful. You can feel everything about Johnny Cash in his version. And that damn piano...one note for so long, cutting into you. To see if you can feel.

Quick post on my choice.

I really, really don't like the original version. It's not a very good song to me and I've tried. But Cash's version, at the end of his life, with the video snippets they chose....stunningly powerful. You can feel everything about Johnny Cash in his version. And that damn piano...one note for so long, cutting into you. To see if you can feel.

No one took this song (though OH took a different Will Oldham song), but Johnny's cover of "I See a Darkness" near the end of his life is really haunting as well.

Quick post on my choice.

Gotta disagree. Cash’s cover is very good but I much prefer the NIN original.

They still get together and play sometimes. They are doing a show in December in Raleigh.

Number 26:

krista4:

Just Win Baby:

simey:

scorchy:

neal cassady:

Uruk-Hai:

Yankee23Fan:

Hurt - Johnny Cash

Manster:

shuke:

Chaos Streams - Son Volt

rockaction:

Mrs. Rannous:

New Binky the Doormat:

Pip’s Invitation:

Dr. Octopus:

Kiss – Prince

Val Rannous:

Spoonman - Soundgarden

Chaz McNulty:

Everybody Hurts - R.E.M.

Don Quixote:

Sullie:

jwb:

DrIanMalcolm:

Hawks64:

MAC_32:

falguy:

simsarge:

I Do - Lisa Loeb

worrierking:

Eephus:

Hov34:

Beyond - Leon Bridges

ditkaburgers:

AAABatteries:

landryshat:

Zegras11:

Suite Madame Blue - Styx

Ilov80s:

Oliver Humanzee:

The Dreaded Marco:

Brand New Love - Sebadoh

Doug B:

Misled - Kool & The Gang
Good lord I hope I don't **** this up...little bit drinks.

Number 26:

krista4:

Just Win Baby:

simey:

scorchy:

neal cassady:

Uruk-Hai:

Yankee23Fan:

Hurt - Johnny Cash

Manster:

shuke:

Chaos Streams - Son Volt

rockaction:

Mrs. Rannous:

New Binky the Doormat:

Pip’s Invitation:

Dr. Octopus:

Kiss – Prince

Val Rannous:

Spoonman - Soundgarden

Chaz McNulty:

Everybody Hurts - R.E.M.

Don Quixote:

Sullie:

jwb:

DrIanMalcolm:

Hawks64:

MAC_32:

falguy:

simsarge:

I Do - Lisa Loeb

worrierking:

Eephus:

Hov34:

Beyond - Leon Bridges

ditkaburgers:

AAABatteries:

landryshat:

Zegras11:

Suite Madame Blue - Styx

Ilov80s:

Oliver Humanzee:

The Dreaded Marco:

Brand New Love - Sebadoh

Doug B:

Misled - Kool & The Gang
Good lord I hope I don't **** this up...little bit drinks.
You got this!

Number 26:

krista4:

Just Win Baby:

simey:

scorchy:

neal cassady:

Uruk-Hai:

Yankee23Fan:

Hurt - Johnny Cash

Manster:

shuke:

Chaos Streams - Son Volt

rockaction:

Mrs. Rannous:

New Binky the Doormat:

Pip’s Invitation:

Dr. Octopus:

Kiss – Prince

Val Rannous:

Spoonman - Soundgarden

Chaz McNulty:

Everybody Hurts - R.E.M.

Don Quixote:

Sullie:

jwb:

DrIanMalcolm:

Hawks64:

MAC_32:

falguy:

simsarge:

I Do - Lisa Loeb

worrierking:

Eephus:

Hov34:

Beyond - Leon Bridges

ditkaburgers:

AAABatteries:

landryshat:

Zegras11:

Suite Madame Blue - Styx

Ilov80s:

Oliver Humanzee:

The Dreaded Marco:

Brand New Love - Sebadoh

Doug B:

Misled - Kool & The Gang
Playlist...sorry. Drinks have been had. In plentiful abundance.

My friend whom I mentioned in the Bob Mould/Bob Dylan anecdote was a big Connells fan in the early '90s. So I knew who they were even if I didn't really know their music.
When the band has a song title that’s your name, the band finds you one way or another.

Me, Chap, Jeb and Melvin (an idiot, not one of the five idiots) used to listen to their “Fun & Games” album quite a bit- the first time as a “tribute” to me.

Number 26:

krista4:

Just Win Baby:

simey:

scorchy:

neal cassady:

Uruk-Hai:

Yankee23Fan:

Hurt - Johnny Cash

Manster:

shuke:

Chaos Streams - Son Volt

rockaction:

Mrs. Rannous:

New Binky the Doormat:

Pip’s Invitation:

Dr. Octopus:

Kiss – Prince

Val Rannous:

Spoonman - Soundgarden

Chaz McNulty:

Everybody Hurts - R.E.M.

Don Quixote:

Sullie:

jwb:

DrIanMalcolm:

Hawks64:

MAC_32:

falguy:

simsarge:

I Do - Lisa Loeb

worrierking:

Eephus:

Hov34:

Beyond - Leon Bridges

ditkaburgers:

AAABatteries:

landryshat:

Zegras11:

Suite Madame Blue - Styx

Ilov80s:

Oliver Humanzee:

The Dreaded Marco:

Brand New Love - Sebadoh

Doug B:

Misled - Kool & The Gang
Playlist...sorry. Drinks have been had. In plentiful abundance.
So...I combined many song titles and was so :confused: and then I'm like :doh: I am an idiot :lmao:

I'm finding it impossible to choose a favorite today, so I'm going to give my prize to Just Win Baby for bringing me back to memories of The Connells' jangly-pop goodness. :thumbup:

Lots of new-to-me to check out, next.

Love, love, love that song and choice. Well done, sir.
Agreed, inspired choice

Users who are viewing this thread