What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (1 Viewer)

Got the Roam working!

OH (befuddled): You're listening to Kyuss?
Me: It's the countdown playlist. I do this every day.
OH: Great band. Great metal band. I met the bass player once, and I don't think I've ever met a dumber person in my life. It was like talking to someone who was living at the bottom of a well and perfectly content to stay there. You say, "Hello...hello...hello..." and then like two minutes later he says, "Huh?"

On the verge of catching up with the lists! Eh, maybe tomorrow >.>

#10s
Recognized by title alone: 19
Sounded familiar: 5
Didn't know: 11

Selected Favorites:
The Man Who Sold the World (Just Win Baby)
Be My Baby (Don Quixote)
New Light (Hawks64)
Born on the Bayou (worrierking)

Songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Until You Came Along (Uruk-hai)
The Woman in You (Manster)
The Rat (rockaction)
That’s How Strong My Love Is (Hov34)

Last edited:
Zegras11:

Hazy Shade of WInter - The Bangles
(new song)

Running late today - last minute drive back up to Philly, for work not fun this time.

Just wanted to call this one out specifically. Love this version so much - didn't know it was a cover till Casey Kasem told me. Heard the original and was disappointed.

After being bombarded with all the trailers with the cool music for Less Than Zero, a bunch of us snuck in to the theater to see it. Hated it - maybe I would feel differently now. Soundtrack still rules though, and The Bangles are the best part.

Pip’s Invitation:

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed - The Allman Brothers Band
(new song)

This song never fails to make my jaw drop. It conveys some of the greatest strengths of jazz, blues and rock, all without a single lyric. In college I had a CD called "Beginnings," which was the first two Allman Brothers albums on one disc. I would get anxious when I knew it was getting close to Liz Reed coming up, that's how much I anticipated that song with every spin.

Purple Mountains song “All My Happiness…” - holy ****. It blew me away. It’s such a happy song in feel and as instrumented, with the saddest lyrics ever. Will surely listen to it and the catalog more.
My same thoughts regarding this song and a few others on this album. Berman at his best.
And there are some really sad sounding songs there too....all great.

Did not expect Kyuss in a top 10 and I while it's wrong I prefer the yacht rock version of Summer Breeze, Overall, no new hearts, but I hadn't heard Cats In The Cradle nor those Rondstadt and Panic! jams in a while. The medal stand certainly gets easier as we get deeper into this thing...

Bronze: Higher Ground - tough to have a medal stand without Stevie (yet he didn't make my 31)
Silver: Wouldn't It Be Nice - #3 on my Beach Boys list and I'm starting to wonder if #1 will make an appearance
Gold : Time In A Bottle - woulda been my Croce contribution had I had one

Finally! I probably should have included this in my list.

Uruk-Hai: When Will I See You Again - Three Degrees
(new artist)

Classic Coast to Coast with Art Bell bumper music here.

Pip’s Invitation: In Memory of Elizabeth Reed - The Allman Brothers Band
(new song)

Great pick.

Dr. Octopus: Lord Only Knows – Beck
(new song)

I think this is new to me. I've heard and liked a lot of different Beck, but never ventured into much of his catalog. This song is awesome.

landryshat: Summer Breeze - Isley Brothers
(new artist)

I'm afraid to admit I've never heard this version. I dig it.

So, Cat's in the Cradle:

I was happy to see it early in the draft from someone else - don't remember who and way way too lazy to go look - because this is one of those 'punch me in the heart songs.' It was an ok song to me until I hit about 25 or so and we had our first child, my son. My world. Like I'm sure so many parents have in the past when I saw him for the first time I just knew that I would try everything I can to give him everything I never had and more. I didn't miss anything like the dad in the song - I was there for everything. Night time routine was mine from the day he was born. He was my sidekick until he became a teenager and didn't need dad with him so much. I miss my little buddy sometime but I'm proud of who he has become and is becomming. And I'll be his sidekick now.

But when I sit down and play this song on the piano I will - every time - start crying before I finish it. He didn't exactly become just like me, but he did enough. And at this season of his life I am the dad looking to spend time with him and he just wants the metaphorical car keys. God that line punches hard.

Shortly before we made these lists I was actually playing it at the piano and I couldn't finish playing/singing because of a conversation I had with him earlier that day (nothing bad, just life) and it hit me harder than usual, which hard enough. Wife looked at me and just said, "yeah."

Yeah. There is coming a day - very soon, way too soon, when I'll be retired and he won't be around nearly as much as I want him to be. I continue to pray that he doesn't grow up just like me. That he continues to be better. And can at one point look back and remember fondly his childhood and everything I tried to do for him and with him. Yes I'm tearing up writing this. Yes I'm that sap these days. I always will be for my little boy blue.

Great post. I traveled a lot for my last job, and near the end I was on the road almost 50% of the time. During a tough week of being away, this came on the radio as I was pulling my rental car into the hotel parking lot. A wave of melancholy hit me.

Also my son just turned 18 yesterday so this is hitting closer to home than ever.

So, Cat's in the Cradle:

I was happy to see it early in the draft from someone else - don't remember who and way way too lazy to go look - because this is one of those 'punch me in the heart songs.' It was an ok song to me until I hit about 25 or so and we had our first child, my son. My world. Like I'm sure so many parents have in the past when I saw him for the first time I just knew that I would try everything I can to give him everything I never had and more. I didn't miss anything like the dad in the song - I was there for everything. Night time routine was mine from the day he was born. He was my sidekick until he became a teenager and didn't need dad with him so much. I miss my little buddy sometime but I'm proud of who he has become and is becomming. And I'll be his sidekick now.

But when I sit down and play this song on the piano I will - every time - start crying before I finish it. He didn't exactly become just like me, but he did enough. And at this season of his life I am the dad looking to spend time with him and he just wants the metaphorical car keys. God that line punches hard.

Shortly before we made these lists I was actually playing it at the piano and I couldn't finish playing/singing because of a conversation I had with him earlier that day (nothing bad, just life) and it hit me harder than usual, which hard enough. Wife looked at me and just said, "yeah."

Yeah. There is coming a day - very soon, way too soon, when I'll be retired and he won't be around nearly as much as I want him to be. I continue to pray that he doesn't grow up just like me. That he continues to be better. And can at one point look back and remember fondly his childhood and everything I tried to do for him and with him. Yes I'm tearing up writing this. Yes I'm that sap these days. I always will be for my little boy blue.

Great post. I traveled a lot for my last job, and near the end I was on the road almost 50% of the time. During a tough week of being away, this came on the radio as I was pulling my rental car into the hotel parking lot. A wave of melancholy hit me.

Also my son just turned 18 yesterday so this is hitting closer to home than ever.
I felt like **** a few Sunday's ago. Drank too much the night before, didn't sleep well, knew I had an hour or 2 of work to do, skipped it in the morning, and it hovered over me throughout the day knowing I had to do it before the day was done. Then when I finally logged on to get it done our middle child walked up to me, handed me a football, and said let's go play. I looked in his eyes for a beat then heard the other 2 already outside and while this song didn't float through my head at that moment the message did...so I slammed my laptop shut, threw some pigskin, and egged on our sons as they beat each other up as I refuse to throw 9 routes but rather force them to back shoulder then battle their way uphill to the end zone in our back yard. Unlike whatever work I had planned for that day hopefully that sticks as a memory...

Listened to the episode of Big Star. I had 0 clue about their history and Alex's previous bands. :bag:

Anyway, on to their albums.

I dug through R.E.M.;s albums this week. Some stand outs, but still not a band I will gravitate to heavily. I think around the time Document started, I understood better the connection to Radiohead and heard the influence a bit more. Out of Time was my least favorite easily, and I would say my favorites are still New Adventures in Hi-Fi and Automatic for the People.

Today's known-to-me favorites. #9 Dreams, if you will.

What's Going On -- Marvin Gaye (Neal Cassady)
Hurricane -- Bob Dylan (jwb)
Higher Ground -- Stevie Wonder (Val Rannous)
Wouldn't It Be Nice -- The Beach Boys (Rockaction)
Proud Mary -- Ike and Tina Turner (MAC 32)
I Heard It Through the Grapevine -- Creedence Clearwater Revival (Hov34)
Magic Man -- Heart (Mrs. Rannous)
I Need to Know -- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (Binky)
Right Place Wrong Time -- Dr. John (Eephus)
What a Wonderful World -- Louis Armstrong (Don Quixote)
Time in a Bottle -- Jim Croce (Falguy)
Johnny B. Goode -- Chuck Berry (AAABatteries)
Summer Breeze -- The Isley Brothers (Landryshat)
When Will I See You Again -- The Three Degrees (Uruk-Hai)
You Ain't Going Nowhere -- The Byrds (Simey)

@Mrs. Rannous Magic Man currently sits at #52 on my ranking of others' rankings. So it's not like we have NOTHING in common!

My wife and her father used What a Wonderful World for their dance at our wedding.

The Isley's version of Summer Breeze is really something to behold. The Seals and Crofts version is a pleasant enough soft rock tune. The Isleys infused it with an incredible amount of passion and soul to turn it into something else entirely.

Sweetheart of the Rodeo is one of the birthplaces of "alt country" and was a tremendously risky move commercially at the time. Glad to see something from it represented.

My favorite new-to-me songs today were the Allman Brothers, Little Feat, and Isley Brothers one. I saw "Summer Breeze" and was skeptical, but it was a billion times better than the original. I also loved the Beck song and don't remember it at all even though I owned that record. Getting old is fun.

Finally! I probably should have included this in my list.

Uruk-Hai: When Will I See You Again - Three Degrees
(new artist)

Classic Coast to Coast with Art Bell bumper music here.

Pip’s Invitation: In Memory of Elizabeth Reed - The Allman Brothers Band
(new song)

Great pick.

Dr. Octopus: Lord Only Knows – Beck
(new song)

I think this is new to me. I've heard and liked a lot of different Beck, but never ventured into much of his catalog. This song is awesome.

landryshat: Summer Breeze - Isley Brothers
(new artist)

I'm afraid to admit I've never heard this version. I dig it.

Judging by the rest of your musical tastes, I'd be surprised if you didn't dig both of the Odelay and Sea Change albums. The song I took was off Sea Change, and Lord Only Knows was the song I was debating taking as well.

Zegras11:

Hazy Shade of WInter - The Bangles
(new song)

Running late today - last minute drive back up to Philly, for work not fun this time.

Just wanted to call this one out specifically. Love this version so much - didn't know it was a cover till Casey Kasem told me. Heard the original and was disappointed.

After being bombarded with all the trailers with the cool music for Less Than Zero, a bunch of us snuck in to the theater to see it. Hated it - maybe I would feel differently now. Soundtrack still rules though, and The Bangles are the best part.
Busy again today also.
Here are my notes I wrote on my Spreadsheet for my pick today:

Love me some Susanna Hoffs. Love this version 100x more than S&G.

shuke:

Tuesday's Gone - Lynyrd Skynyrd
(duplicate - third vote)

I'm the third person to pick this song, and I don't think it's been talked about enough, if at all. It is so much better than anything else they ever did. You may have passed over this or skipped it after a minute, thinking you don't need to hear it again. But you do. Especially from the 3:20 to 4:50 mark. Love the mellotron!

Last edited:
falguy:

Time in a Bottle - Jim Croce
In his short time with us, Croce created some amazing pieces of music. I was choosing from at least 3 that I love and ended with this one because I love the Waltz beat. 🕺 Also, it's use in X-Men: Days Of Future Past was pretty sweet
scene

On on May 14th this year, wife and I saw A.J Croce, Jim's son in downtown Boise at the Eygyptian. It was sold out. (Joe jackson didn't a few weeks later)

I shot A.J. singing Time In a Bottle. He sounded very much like his dad.

The video in the back ground is JIm and A.J. as a kid. I almost started crying

ETA: Don't know why it starts at 25 decond mark. Just move it back to 0:00

Last edited:
So, Cat's in the Cradle:

get used to it man ...our son is soon 26 and will be a father in Feb. ... our daughter went to college this fall and does spins and drops from 20-30ft on scarves in circus arts shows.

no longer our babies.

Last edited:
falguy:

Time in a Bottle - Jim Croce
In his short time with us, Croce created some amazing pieces of music. I was choosing from at least 3 that I love and ended with this one because I love the Waltz beat. 🕺 Also, it's use in X-Men: Days Of Future Past was pretty sweet
scene

On on May 14th this year, wife and I saw A.J Croce, Jim's son in downtown Boise at the Eygyptian. It was sold out. (Joe jackson didn't a few weeks later)

I shot A.J. singing Time In a Bottle. He sounded very much like his dad.

The video in the back ground is JIm and A.J. as a kid. I almost started crying

ETA: Don't know why it starts at 25 decond mark. Just move it back to 0:00
That was great. He does sound like his dad. :blush:

krista4:

If I Had a Boat - Lyle Lovett
(duplicate – third vote)

I know Lovett has a devoted following and has gotten plenty of positive ink in the music press over the years, but I am not too familiar with his material. If I Had a Boat has appeared three times and none of his other songs have. Is this his signature song? If not, why is it the favorite of this group?

New Binky the Doormat:

I Need To Know - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
(new song)
HTF did I miss this one.

I've shared this before after drafting Tom Petty's live collection. I'm sharing again because my Tom still hasn't been picked. I wouldn't argue it as better than the other picks. It's just personal from a concert experience when the crowd sang along to one particular part and Tom said it was his favorite song to play when the crowd did this. It was pretty awesome, and became my most listened to and sing along Tom.

The day he died I was driving back and forth to LA with my music nerd daughter. She knew I was shaken by the loss, but she really didn't know Tom Petty, just a little. For 2 hrs to LA and 2 hrs home, I played Petty. 15 minutes from home she said, "He never made a bad song, did he?" I dunno about that, but he was so consistent he gave us more #1 options than anyone else.

krista4:

(duplicate – third vote)

I know Lovett has a devoted following and has gotten plenty of positive ink in the music press over the years, but I am not too familiar with his material. If I Had a Boat has appeared three times and none of his other songs have. Is this his signature song? If not, why is it the favorite of this group?

It's definitely one of his most well-known, and I think he's played it every time I've seen him in concert (which is a lot). I don't think he has a "signature" song, though, and I was surprised to see two other people choose the same one I did. I considered many of his songs but kept coming back to this one. It's from what most people consider his greatest album - Pontiac - but unlike a lot of songs from that brilliant work, it's upbeat and hopeful. If one were looking to check out his work, I'd suggest that album as a good starting point.

Last edited:
New Binky the Doormat:

(new song)
HTF did I miss this one.

I've shared this before after drafting Tom Petty's live collection. I'm sharing again because my Tom still hasn't been picked. I wouldn't argue it as better than the other picks. It's just personal from a concert experience when the crowd sang along to one particular part and Tom said it was his favorite song to play when the crowd did this. It was pretty awesome, and became my most listened to and sing along Tom.

The day he died I was driving back and forth to LA with my music nerd daughter. She knew I was shaken by the loss, but she really didn't know Tom Petty, just a little. For 2 hrs to LA and 2 hrs home, I played Petty. 15 minutes from home she said, "He never made a bad song, did he?" I dunno about that, but he was so consistent he gave us more #1 options than anyone else.

There are three Petty songs that haven't yet been revealed, so yours might still make the list.

Inspired by Scorchy's post and Mrs. E going to bed early, I watched Less Than Zero for the first time since VHS. Although the 80s styles were kind of a kick, the movie is terrible, much worse than I remembered.

I suppose the novel is unfilmable but the script they came up with bears little resemblance beyond the title and some of the characters. Even with the freedom to create a completely new narrative they couldn't make it the least bit interesting. The story is both confusing and soulless and is burdened by the lack of chemistry between Andrew McCarthy and Jami Gertz. It's hard to decide which actor is more awful. Robert Downey and James Spader fare a bit better, as does the soundtrack.

So thanks Scorchy and all of the Bangles too.

Random call outs for #9:

@krista4 : Lyle Lovett - If I Had a Boat This one is growing on me with repeated appearances on these playlists.
@Manster : Kyuss - Thumb I thought of this band when making my list, and listened to Welcome to Sky Valley that day. Just more proof nothing should be a shock to me in these drafts anymore.
@shuke : Lynyrd Skynyrd - Tuesday's Gone Also for my money the correct song of their's to be on the countdown.
@Sullie: Huey Lewis and the News - Small World Maybe not the song I would have taken for them, but this put a big smile on my face.
@Eephus : Dr. John - Right Place Wrong Time I only know a few songs, I assume from the drafts and from The Princess and the Frog soundtrack. I really dug this, and listened to the album and liked a lot of that as well.

New Binky the Doormat:

(new song)
HTF did I miss this one.

He was remarkably consistent. The only songs I of his that I can think of that I actively dislike are a few on the Southern Accents album, and that's because of Dave Stewart's production, not the songs themselves.

If the song you're referring to is what I think it is, I'm surprised we haven't seen it yet given all the songs of his that we have seen.

Here are a few favorites from Round #9 not including repeated favorites:

What A Wonderful World - love this version and Willie's
Lord Only Knows
Right Place Wrong Time - Dr. John is one of my favorite musicians. He was so gifted and unique.
Better Together
Left of the Dial
Willin'
Tumbling Dice - Ronstadt also does a cover of Willin' I like a lot
When Will I See You Again
Hazy Shade of Winter
Higher Ground

Favorite new to me songs:

Nine in the Afternoon

Pip’s Invitation:

(new song)

This song never fails to make my jaw drop. It conveys some of the greatest strengths of jazz, blues and rock, all without a single lyric. In college I had a CD called "Beginnings," which was the first two Allman Brothers albums on one disc. I would get anxious when I knew it was getting close to Liz Reed coming up, that's how much I anticipated that song with every spin.
When this song played when seeing them live, it was my cue to go use the bathroom, or get something to eat or drink, or check out the merchandise booth, or all of the above. It wasn't that I didn't like the song, but it would still be playing by the time I got back from doing all of that, and so I basically wouldn't miss a song.

Pip’s Invitation:

(new song)

When this song played when seeing them live, it was my cue to go use the bathroom, or get something to eat or drink, or check out the merchandise booth, or all of the above. It wasn't that I didn't like the song, but it would still be playing by the time I got back from doing all of that, and so I basically wouldn't miss a song.
If you can accomplish all that during the drum solo, then go for it. None of the rest is skippable to me.

krista4:

(duplicate – third vote)

If you're not familiar, he is a very witty and sometimes poignant lyricist and a musical chameleon. His vocals are always straight from Texas country-style, but his music includes country, folk, blues, jazz, big-band, gospel, swing and pretty much everything else. His main band, The Large Band, is full of fine musicians and includes violin, cello and a horn section. Lyle is known for playing long concerts. I've seen him go over 3 hours once. I could have selected numerous other songs as my favorite but chose "If I Had a Boat" because of this line:

"The mystery masked man was smart
He got himself a Tonto
Tonto did the dirty work for free.
But Tonto, he was smarter
One day said "Kemosabe,
kiss my ***, I bought a boat,
I'm going out to sea."

Pip’s Invitation:

(new song)

If you can accomplish all that during the drum solo, then go for it. None of the rest is skippable to me.
Nothing is skipped, because you can still hear it playing, except of course when the toilet is flushed. :toilet: You never knew though which song they could go into a 30+ minute jam session with, unless they played a song like Mountain Jam, and then it was a given.

krista4:

(duplicate – third vote)

If you're not familiar, he is a very witty and sometimes poignant lyricist and a musical chameleon. His vocals are always straight from Texas country-style, but his music includes country, folk, blues, jazz, big-band, gospel, swing and pretty much everything else. His main band, The Large Band, is full of fine musicians and includes violin, cello and a horn section. Lyle is known for playing long concerts. I've seen him go over 3 hours once. I could have selected numerous other songs as my favorite but chose "If I Had a Boat" because of this line:

"The mystery masked man was smart
He got himself a Tonto
Tonto did the dirty work for free.
But Tonto, he was smarter
One day said "Kemosabe,
kiss my ***, I bought a boat,
I'm going out to sea."
Lyle is fantastic live. I love his singing voice. It is one of my favorites in music, and so is Lyle in general.

Got the Roam working!

OH: Great band. Great metal band. I met the bass player once, and I don't think I've ever met a dumber person in my life. It was like talking to someone who was living at the bottom of a well and perfectly content to stay there. You say, "Hello...hello...hello..." and then like two minutes later he says, "Huh?"
Can OH clarify if it was Nick Oliveri, or Scott Reeder who was the dumbass? :P

Also, I want to hear more about why Modest Mouse are assholes.....which I guess is slightly disappointing to me...although not surprising. I've heard Brock is kind of a turd.......but, I look at it kinda like someone who is gonna do surgery on me......they can be an *******, as long as they are good.

Got the Roam working!

Can OH clarify if it was Nick Oliveri, or Scott Reeder who was the dumbass? :P

Also, I want to hear more about why Modest Mouse are assholes.....which I guess is slightly disappointing to me...although not surprising. I've heard Brock is kind of a turd.......but, I look at it kinda like someone who is gonna do surgery on me......they can be an *******, as long as they are good.

He named Nick Oliveri.

Number 8:

krista4:

Superstition - Stevie Wonder
(duplicate – third vote)

Just Win Baby:

Seven Nation Army (2003), from Elephant - White Stripes
(duplicate – fifth vote)

simey:

Man in the Box - Alice in Chains
(duplicate – second vote)

scorchy:

No Children – The Mountain Goats
(new artist)

neal cassady:

Giant Steps - John Coltrane
(new song)

Uruk-Hai:

I Was Made To Love Her - Stevie Wonder
(new song)

Yankee23Fan:

Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash
(new song)

Manster:

Pyretta Blaze - Type O Negative
(new song)

shuke:

1979 - Smashing Pumpkins
(new song)

rockaction:

Marquee Moon - Television
(duplicate – fifth vote)

Mrs. Rannous:

My Sharona - The Knack
(duplicate – third vote)

New Binky the Doormat:

White Punks On Dope – The Tubes
(new artist)

Pip’s Invitation:

Hello It's Me - Todd Rundgren
(new artist)

Dr. Octopus:

Sir Duke – Stevie Wonder
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Fortunate Son - Creedence Clearwater Revival
(duplicate – fourth vote)

Chaz McNulty:

Runaway - Kanye West

Don Quixote:

Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - Warren Zevon
(new song)

Sullie:

Breed - Nirvana
(new song)

jwb:

Since You’re Gone – The Cars
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

Waterfalls, TLC
(new artist)

Hawks64:

I Killed Robert Johnson - The Stone Foxes
(new song)

MAC_32:

Bullet In The Head - Rage Against The Machine
(new song)

falguy:

Can't Help Falling In Love - Elvis Presley
(new song)

simsarge:

Paris (Ooh La La) - Grace Potter & The Nocturnals
(new artist)

worrierking:

Angel From Montgomery - John Prine
(new song)

Eephus:

4th Of July - Aimee Mann
(new artist)

Hov34:

Surrender - Cheap Trick

ditkaburgers:

Take Your Time (Do it Right) - The S.O.S. Band
(new artist)

AAABatteries:

(Sittin’ On) the Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding

landryshat:

Purple Rain - Prince

Zegras11:

Mrs. Robinson - Simon & Garfunkel
(new song)

Ilov80s:

Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
(duplicate - third vote)

Oliver Humanzee:

Who Does She Hope To Be? - Sonny Sharrock
(new artist)

The Dreaded Marco:

Sick of Myself - Matthew Sweet
(new artist)

Doug B:

Les Filles De La Ville - Wayne Toups
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

Snail - The Smashing Pumpkins
(new song)

Smashing Pumpkins fight! It was a surprise to see them come up twice now after receiving only one vote until this time. I love the song "1979" and look forward to listening to "Snail."

We have a three-way Stevie Wonder battle of "Superstition," "Sir Duke," and "I Was Made to Love Her."

"Seven Nation Army" and "Marquee Moon" take the song lead, each receiving its fifth vote.

In addition to the picks I obviously love, like Johnny Cash, Aimee Mann, and John Prine, I want to shout out the Mountain Goats' song, "No Children," which was on my very short list, too. Please give it a whirl!

Users who are viewing this thread