What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

General Malaise "vs." reading comprehension ; also some talk of skyim and the elder scrolls (1 Viewer)

2 more for inquiring minds

1. If you go into a cave/dungeon and wipe it clean. If you go back do the BGs regenerate or will it be clear

2. Do bad guys gain their health back like we do. So if I'm fighting a boss and hitting and running, does he regen or stay at where he was at last hit

'Matthias said:
I have the PS3 version and would like to swap for the 360 version. Or, if someone wants to just buy it, let me know.
Why is that?I was going to pick up a PS3 on Black Friday just to play Skyrim.
I like the controller and feel more on the 360. More of a personal 'feel' kinda thing, that's all. If you're interested, PM me.

1. If you go into a cave/dungeon and wipe it clean. If you go back do the BGs regenerate or will it be clear

2. Do bad guys gain their health back like we do. So if I'm fighting a boss and hitting and running, does he regen or stay at where he was at last hit
1) I just finished my first dungeon (wow, super long and a lot of fun...the golden claw one) and afterward, on the map, it showed as "cleared", so I think once it's cleared, it's cleared, but that could be wrong.2) Not sure, but unless they cast spells/drink potions, I don't think they heal.

1) I just finished my first dungeon (wow, super long and a lot of fun...the golden claw one) and afterward, on the map, it showed as "cleared", so I think once it's cleared, it's cleared, but that could be wrong.2) Not sure, but unless they cast spells/drink potions, I don't think they heal.
This. I'm going to check an "cleared" dungeon though....

I couldn't resist. :bag: Picked up the PS3 version this afternoon. After burning up about four times before finally getting out of the initial quest ( :bag: ) I managed to get out and have some fun. Great stuff. One thing is for sure - I need to find the place that sells Sherpas. I'm constantly fighting being overloaded - a continuing theme for me in these games.

Well, I went to the vampire den I recently cleaned out and it was empty with the same bodies lying about.

However, I went back to Bleak Falls (the first dungeon I did; i.e. the "golden claw" dungeon) and there were two bandits guarding the entrance. I didn't want to bother fighting so I have no idea if the interior was occupied, but it's a good bet it is.

So I'm guessing dungeons do gain new occupants. It just takes awhile.

New to this. I made a custom location on my map. I do not need it anymore, how do I make it go away? It keeps coming up on my compass.

New to this. I made a custom location on my map. I do not need it anymore, how do I make it go away? It keeps coming up on my compass.
Try and put another custom marker somewhere and it'll ask you if you want to remove the other one.

After the first night of play - a few things: the skill tree is magnificent and I have no clue where to put perks, I can't get the "favorites" to remember dual wielding the same spell (annoying), and I really don't like it that your choices of buying and selling are one-click and irrevocable (the Fallout method was much superior, IMO).

Boy this thing is gonna take a while to figure out. Massive in scope!

MiniDoss is one quest away from becoming the Master of the Thieves Guild. Dude is chugging along.

I'll have to create my own character or get it on PS3...not sure I'm gonna get much time on this one otherwise.

'dharmapunk said:
Ugh, F'n Steam. I can't even play today.I hit the "Play" button on Steam and I get the little window "Preparing to launch The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" and then it just hangs there.
Is it downloading the patch or something?Mine sat on that for a while (about half an hour) while it did stuff. Eventually it stopped though and let me play.All in all for a D1 Elder Scrolls release its remarkably stable...Hey Fly does that Bard thing have anything to do with the guy who was in love with the shopkeeper in riverwood?I helped the other guy hoping he would , you know, be grateful and be a bit reasonable with a discount on the archery lessons but the bastage didnt bat even an eyelid. Hope he realises that after I'm a ninja marksman his days are numbered..
Yea, the sleezy musician in Riverwood is the guy who told me about the college, but any tavern musician will tell you about it.I also helped the elf hunter. While he doesn't give a discount on Archery lessons, he is in your debt and if you get into a fight he'll immediately join your side.
Turns out he does give a discount....
- After you help him he will become a follower. If you train with him then have him follow you, he is *happy* for you to relieve him of the burden of carrying all that gold. He doesnt seem to mind if you dismiss him straight away.

I can't get the "favorites" to remember dual wielding the same spell (annoying)
On PS3 you can set your left and right d-pad as two "quick slots" and put spells there. That way left-left puts spell1 in both hands, right-right puts spell2 in both hands and left-right puts spell1 in one and spell2 in the other. Not sure if that's what you're trying to do...

I can't get the "favorites" to remember dual wielding the same spell (annoying)
On PS3 you can set your left and right d-pad as two "quick slots" and put spells there. That way left-left puts spell1 in both hands, right-right puts spell2 in both hands and left-right puts spell1 in one and spell2 in the other. Not sure if that's what you're trying to do...
Thanks for posting this. I need to try this out.

I've been offered companions twice, but I always have to turn them down because I'm a stealthy assassin build. I sneak up and backstab people or shoot them in the back. While this lets you kill much stronger opponents, whenever I get dragged into a straight fight, I get destroyed. Companions would just be a liability.

Oh well. It's something to try with my next character.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some Advice for Those Starting Out:

If you're like me and ignore the main storyline to explore, I recommend you at least go to Whiterun and do the first couple of storyline quests (finish the one where you go to the West Tower). It provides you with a nice 'base' for your character. Not a house, per se, but a solid foundation of items/powers/things that, in hindsight, would have been nice to have early on. Plus Whiterun is a good town to have some reputation in. It has a fully equipped backsmith and other shops.

I am doing the main quests and was told I could buy a house in Whiterun. Where in Whiterun can I do this and how much does it cost?

I am doing the main quests and was told I could buy a house in Whiterun. Where in Whiterun can I do this and how much does it cost?
There is a stable just outside the main city. Look for the hoof sign on your map guide on top. I think it's 1,000 gold. BUT
If you do the main quest for the first 3-4 quests, TE jarrl will annoying you a thane. You can then steal a horse once with your title and not get in trouble for it. Just don't get off the horse like I did and then get back on it. They will take all your stolen goods from you

There is a stable just outside the main city. Look for the hoof sign on your map guide on top. I think it's 1,000 gold. BUT
If you do the main quest for the first 3-4 quests, TE jarrl will annoying you a thane. You can then steal a horse once with your title and not get in trouble for it. Just don't get off the horse like I did and then get back on it. They will take all your stolen goods from you
House != horse

In oblivion you usually had to talk to the local ruler's advisor about buying a house after completing some quests to gain favor.

PSA for all my friends: I tried to set a live chicken on fire in Riverwood. The entire town ran out of their houses and killed me in about 4 seconds.

RESOLVED: THEY LOVE THEIR CHICKENS IN RIVERWOOD

I got it for PS3 and I only played for about 5 minutes (just wanted too see what it looked like, but didn't have time to really get into it) and didn't get out of the initial quest. One thing I noticed, and it'a a problem for me, is that it was only in 1st person. I was pressing R3 but it wouldn't change to 3rd person. Did anyone else have this problem with the PS3 version in the beginning? Am I doing something wrong?

'AhrnCityPahnder said:
PSA for all my friends: I tried to set a live chicken on fire in Riverwood. The entire town ran out of their houses and killed me in about 4 seconds.

RESOLVED: THEY LOVE THEIR CHICKENS IN RIVERWOOD
:lmao: I need to do more of this kind of thing.

All I got is this -

I met an aging Orc on a bridge. He was looking to die. In his oh-so-machismo way, he wanted a warrior's death before he got too old and asked if I could provide this for him.

I said no. He smirked a condescending smirk and said something like "I thought so."

So I hiked it up to the nearby hills, squatted in the shadows, pulled out my bow, zoomed in, and gunned him down like Kennedy.

Enjoy the death, mofo. :football:

'Not Sure said:
I got it for PS3 and I only played for about 5 minutes (just wanted too see what it looked like, but didn't have time to really get into it) and didn't get out of the initial quest. One thing I noticed, and it'a a problem for me, is that it was only in 1st person. I was pressing R3 but it wouldn't change to 3rd person. Did anyone else have this problem with the PS3 version in the beginning? Am I doing something wrong?
That's just in the first quest. Oblivion was the same way. The first quest (and some super important storyline quests, like the final one) will temporarily lock you into first person and/or limit your actions and mobility.Relax. Everything opens up in a big way. :thumbup:

I need to stay out of this thread. I have way too many games on plate right now and Skyrim wasn't even one of them. Yet this thread is making me think about buying it an backburnering everything else.

:wall:

'Not Sure said:
That's just in the first quest. Oblivion was the same way. The first quest (and some super important storyline quests, like the final one) will temporarily lock you into first person and/or limit your actions and mobility.Relax. Everything opens up in a big way. :thumbup:
Cool. Thanks.

I need to stay out of this thread. I have way too many games on plate right now and Skyrim wasn't even one of them. Yet this thread is making me think about buying it an backburnering everything else. :wall:
Since when is gaming about self-control?
I know. I started Duex Ex, then GOW3, then MW3 and havent finished any of them. Still need to play Batman AC and BF3 too. Was given a copy of Bulletstorm that I haven't gotten to, and eventually want to give Forza 4 a run as well. Don't know where or when I'll find the time to get through all of these. :wall:

I decided to make a second character to play as a High Elf mage.

One of the things I noticed in the opening sequence is how your eyes adjust to light levels. If you look up to the sky it'll be super bright for a second while your eyes adjust. Then when you look down, everything will be dark as your eyes adjust to the new lack of light.

It's small nuances like this that make this such an immersive experience. :thumbup:

So if I am into games with deep story lines (like classic Final Fantasy games), would I really enjoy Skyrim? It seems that the appeal is in the open world nature of it. Am I wrong?

As a frame of reference, I thought Fallout 3 was OK, but probably not worth the time I invested in it.

So if I am into games with deep story lines (like classic Final Fantasy games), would I really enjoy Skyrim? It seems that the appeal is in the open world nature of it. Am I wrong?As a frame of reference, I thought Fallout 3 was OK, but probably not worth the time I invested in it.
I've never played Final Fantasy, but this game is about doing your own thing. It's almost exactly like Fallout in terms of depth, structure, etc.

So if I am into games with deep story lines (like classic Final Fantasy games), would I really enjoy Skyrim? It seems that the appeal is in the open world nature of it. Am I wrong?As a frame of reference, I thought Fallout 3 was OK, but probably not worth the time I invested in it.
I've never played Final Fantasy, but this game is about doing your own thing. It's almost exactly like Fallout in terms of depth, structure, etc.
It's the best of both worlds, IMO. Interesing storylines, total sandbox freedom with a gazillion side quests. My level 17 guy has a huge list of little side quests people keeping giving him in towns. Find me this. Find me that. Talk to this person for me. Kill that person. Et cetera.You'd like it, but you're probably one of those people who would stick to the main storyline quests. There's nothing wrong with that; it seems like an interesting story in the Arthurian-hidden-lineage vein (i.e. ripped right from classic Medieval romances).I'll say this: in terms of gameplay and graphics, what Skyrim does with dragons makes DragonAge look like Ultima III.

I am desperately looking for a dead body that I found when I first started the game and can't find when I restarted. Please help!!!

There is a dead Nordic treasure hunter that has a note on his person. His body was somewhere around Riverwood, between the intro town (Helgard?) and Riverwood. I can't find him and it's driving me nuts. I found the first treasure MAP but not this guy again. If you know where/what I'm talking about either respond or PM me, please?

I'm only a few hours in and the story seems interesting enough so far, but intense, engrossing main storylines are not what Bethesda is known for.

Just fought my second dragon. Frost dragon in the south, but lucky for me I was near a town and a bunch of guards helped me take it down.

So now I have 2 shout powers....that I always forget to use. :angry:

ETA: I have to say that the sudden appearance of a dragon's shadow and the dramatic music is one of the best heart-pumping moments I've had in a video game. I lost my sh!@ for a bit before recovering and running like mad into a windmill for cover. Fighting dragons is awesome. Simply awesome. They hit a homerun with that part for sure.

Just fought my second dragon. Frost dragon in the south, but lucky for me I was near a town and a bunch of guards helped me take it down. So now I have 2 shout powers....that I always forget to use. :angry:ETA: I have to say that the sudden appearance of a dragon's shadow and the dramatic music is one of the best heart-pumping moments I've had in a video game. I lost my sh!@ for a bit before recovering and running like mad into a windmill for cover. Fighting dragons is awesome. Simply awesome. They hit a homerun with that part for sure.
I use the force shout most just getting Lydia out of the damn way. It did unlock something kind of interesting though...
I shouted in the Gray-Mane house (moving Lydia) and later a courier sent me a letter from "a friend" giving me some advice

From a friend -

You can also become a werewolf. :wolf:
Confirmed
I am officially an Orc werewolf. There are no disadvantages except that everyone attacks you if you are in werewolf form. Werewolf form is friggin amazing. You can literally claw off someones face, bite off their face, not to mention throwing people around like rag dolls.

I'm playing a Dunmer battlemage. Seems to work pretty well. I keep fire magic in my left hand and a sword in my right; make em soft with fire and then slice em up.

Anyone played with conjuring or illusion much? Seems like a tricky way to play, but I'm thinking of trying it.

I ran into a frost dragon in windhelm and a fire dragon on top of a mountain. Defeated the frost dragon with the town but the fire dragon knocked my ### off the mountain and I plunged to my death. You can't outrun a dragon

Users who are viewing this thread