What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

General Malaise "vs." reading comprehension ; also some talk of skyim and the elder scrolls (2 Viewers)

I ran into a frost dragon in windhelm and a fire dragon on top of a mountain. Defeated the frost dragon with the town but the fire dragon knocked my ### off the mountain and I plunged to my death. You can't outrun a dragon
Rules to Surviving Skyrim -#1 - You can't outrun a dragon.

:lmao:

What I find remarkable is that even the early quests like the Golden Claw, or the first real mission given by the Thieve's Guild, are EXTENSIVE, 2-hour long dungeons.

:thumbup:

I am 100% certain that my love of sex with anyone who would have me in the early 2000's is the only think keeping me from being a big gamer. Don't take that the wrong way - I don't remember most of those chicks and now I'm married and rarely have sex. I'd pretty much kill to be able to play games like this as a single man.

Loving archery in this one. Could never build a good Elder Scrolls ranged character before. But my Bosmer Stealth Archer is a freaking sniper. I cleaned out one grotto (and two associated quests) with just ranged sneak attacks from shadows. Awesome.

And when stuff spots me in the wilderness, I can usually run not too far and get to a vantage point that they can't reach and start sniping from there. Archery roolz.

Not sure how useful it will be in the prison mine where I just got tossed, though. :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Loving archery in this one. Could never build a good Elder Scrolls ranged character before. But my Bosmer Stealth Archer is a freaking sniper. I cleaned out one grotto (and two associated quests) with just ranged sneak attacks from shadows. Awesome.And when stuff spots me in the wilderness, I can usually run not too far and get to a vantage point that they can't reach and start sniping from there. Archery roolz.

Not sure how useful it will be in the prison mine where I just got tossed, though. :mellow:
This is what I've been doing. But I also just got the Assassin perk in the Sneak constellation. X15 damage for dagger sneak attacks. I crafted an exquisite Elven dagger (21 dmg) and a Superior Dwarven dagger (18 dmg) and plan on double wielding them (already have the perk). If I can get close enough, I bet I could kill a dragon in a single power strike from behind. Not that I could sneak up on a dragon, but you know.I think I'll enchant one with Soul Capture to keep them charged. And yet, despite this awesomeness, I still have not met the Dark Brotherhood. NO, I don't want a spoiler to find out how. I like stumbling through the world wondering where they are.

Having a blast with the game so far. Right now I'm mainly a mostly an archer with points in 1handed weapons, sneaking, and conjuration. I've hardly made it anywhere in the main story because I'm having so much fun just exploring and doing random side-quests.

ETA: Anyone on the fence about it, I didn't even like Oblivion but Skyrim is one of my favorites of the year. If your PC can handle it (I was pleasantly surprised mine can handle it on ultra :D ) I'd definitely suggest it. The graphics are a lot better and people make tons of mods made by other players that can improve the game and even add content.

NO, I don't want a spoiler to find out how. I like stumbling through the world wondering where they are.
Agreed! I've been avidly trying to find the Thieves' Guild, but I'm happier not finding it than I would be if I just looked up its location. Discovering this world without any kind of guide is so amazingly rewarding.

NO, I don't want a spoiler to find out how. I like stumbling through the world wondering where they are.
Agreed! I've been avidly trying to find the Thieves' Guild, but I'm happier not finding it than I would be if I just looked up its location. Discovering this world without any kind of guide is so amazingly rewarding.
Absolutely.I think they have finally got the immersion factor about right, I find myself just being my character and potter around doing whatever takes my fancy. I even stopped just near a waterfall this morning and had my cup of coffee in real life while watching the view.So far I've resisted "gaming the system" which you sort of had to do in Oblivion and kept it short of being this kind of experience.
One issue I have is I dont really like either of the two main plot options that seem to exist (dont think this is a spoiler as you either run off with the Imperial guy or the Stormcloak guy right at the start). The Nords seem a bit up themselves and the Imperials (and I'm one) threw me in a cart for no reason and were within seconds of lopping my head off so they have another think coming if they assume Im going to help them once I get all my dragony powers up and running. (I'm only just starting Winterrun quests so might be waaaay off on this). Hoping theres some third option where I can set myself up as a tin pot dictator or something like that.

Absolutely.I think they have finally got the immersion factor about right, I find myself just being my character and potter around doing whatever takes my fancy. I even stopped just near a waterfall this morning and had my cup of coffee in real life while watching the view.So far I've resisted "gaming the system" which you sort of had to do in Oblivion and kept it short of being this kind of experience.
One issue I have is I dont really like either of the two main plot options that seem to exist (dont think this is a spoiler as you either run off with the Imperial guy or the Stormcloak guy right at the start). The Nords seem a bit up themselves and the Imperials (and I'm one) threw me in a cart for no reason and were within seconds of lopping my head off so they have another think coming if they assume Im going to help them once I get all my dragony powers up and running. (I'm only just starting Winterrun quests so might be waaaay off on this). Hoping theres some third option where I can set myself up as a tin pot dictator or something like that.
I started a second character just to play a mage (lots of fun, btw, with the dual casting/arming system - WAY better than Oblivion). I purposefully sought out the rebel in the first mission. I followed him into a tower, saw that the rebel Jarl had escaped too, but then he told me to jump to another rooftop. I did, and the rebel never followed. So I ended up with the same guy whose uncle is the smith in Riverwood. I don't think it's really an option. You always end up with that imperial guy. However, littered about Skyrim are Imperial and Stormcloak camps where you can join either army. I never have, but I've been in both camps.

Something about the plot to chew on:

Anyone else notice that right in the beginning they say that the rebel Jarl killed the king using a shout? That's why the Jarl is gagged in the cart.

But only the dragonborn get those, right? And you have to steal a dragon soul to use them.

See where I'm going with this?

No spoilers needed. This is just something I've thought about based on info from the very beginning of the game.

Makes me think of joining the rebels.

:popcorn:

I started a second character just to play a mage (lots of fun, btw, with the dual casting/arming system - WAY better than Oblivion). I purposefully sought out the rebel in the first mission. I followed him into a tower, saw that the rebel Jarl had escaped too, but then he told me to jump to another rooftop. I did, and the rebel never followed. So I ended up with the same guy whose uncle is the smith in Riverwood. I don't think it's really an option. You always end up with that imperial guy. However, littered about Skyrim are Imperial and Stormcloak camps where you can join either army. I never have, but I've been in both camps.
Not sure what happened to the rebel in your game, but I can confirm that you can definitely follow him through the tutorial. He'll take you to Riverwood and you can meet up with him there. You can get a key to the house he's holed up in and he'll tell you about why they're fighting the empire. Again, though, this probably isn't a big deal. I doubt Bethesda is going to force you down the "Imperial" or "Rebel" path just because of who you happened to stumble along with in the tutorial level. I'm assuming we'll have the ability to switch sides later on. Not that I'm going to. Every last Imperial soldier is going to pay for trying to behead me.

:bag: I didnt even realize you had a choice of who to run at the start of the game

I almost feel like doing what DP did and starting a new game knowing what I know now. I just dont think I have the time to do it all over again.

I've only done the claw quest and petered around with a few small side quests but I'm loving this so far. :thumbup:

Anyone else a hoarder? :bag:

I've only done the claw quest and petered around with a few small side quests but I'm loving this so far. :thumbup:Anyone else a hoarder? :bag:
I can carry 350 lbs as a light armor wearing thief and I am always having to drop crap. Sadly I do not have a home yet and I like to collect every skull I can find.

Loving archery in this one. Could never build a good Elder Scrolls ranged character before. But my Bosmer Stealth Archer is a freaking sniper. I cleaned out one grotto (and two associated quests) with just ranged sneak attacks from shadows. Awesome.

And when stuff spots me in the wilderness, I can usually run not too far and get to a vantage point that they can't reach and start sniping from there. Archery roolz.

This is what I've been doing. But I also just got the Assassin perk in the Sneak constellation. X15 damage for dagger sneak attacks. I crafted an exquisite Elven dagger (21 dmg) and a Superior Dwarven dagger (18 dmg) and plan on double wielding them (already have the perk). If I can get close enough, I bet I could kill a dragon in a single power strike from behind. Not that I could sneak up on a dragon, but you know.

I think I'll enchant one with Soul Capture to keep them charged.

And yet, despite this awesomeness, I still have not met the Dark Brotherhood.

I can not figure out how to fill my souls gems. I thought it would be the same as oblivion (soul traps) but I cant figure out how to do it. Help please...

:bag: I didnt even realize you had a choice of who to run at the start of the gameI almost feel like doing what DP did and starting a new game knowing what I know now. I just dont think I have the time to do it all over again.
Oh I'm still playing my original guy. I just like to change it up now and then. I missed a lot to start too. You always do in these games, which only adds to the replay value.For example: my first character ran ahead of the imperial guard when he said, "We should probably split up."As I result, I totally missed the stones and went without the +20% bonus to my skills until level 17. :lmao:

This is what I've been doing. But I also just got the Assassin perk in the Sneak constellation. X15 damage for dagger sneak attacks. I crafted an exquisite Elven dagger (21 dmg) and a Superior Dwarven dagger (18 dmg) and plan on double wielding them (already have the perk). If I can get close enough, I bet I could kill a dragon in a single power strike from behind. Not that I could sneak up on a dragon, but you know.

I can not figure out how to fill my souls gems. I thought it would be the same as oblivion (soul traps) but I cant figure out how to do it. Help please...Buy empty soul gems. Cast 'soul capture' (or whatever it's called) on an enemy just before they die. If you kill him in the allotted time, you will capture their soul. It's the exact same as Oblivion.

I've only done the claw quest and petered around with a few small side quests but I'm loving this so far. :thumbup:Anyone else a hoarder? :bag:
I was until I realized two things -1. I have no house. 2. Disenchanting items makes you learn those enchantments so you can make similar items yourself. I've destroyed a lot of magic weapons just to learn their properties, which also prevents me from lugging around too much loot.

I can not figure out how to fill my souls gems. I thought it would be the same as oblivion (soul traps) but I cant figure out how to do it. Help please...
Buy empty soul gems. Cast 'soul capture' (or whatever it's called) on an enemy just before they die. If you kill him in the allotted time, you will capture their soul. It's the exact same as Oblivion.Does every one have this spell?

Buy empty soul gems. Cast 'soul capture' (or whatever it's called) on an enemy just before they die. If you kill him in the allotted time, you will capture their soul. It's the exact same as Oblivion.
Does every one have this spell?
Early on in the main quest the Jarl gives you the Axe of Whiterun (maybe right after killing the dragon? The axe is enchanted with soul capture. I haven't seen or bought the spell yet.

Buy empty soul gems. Cast 'soul capture' (or whatever it's called) on an enemy just before they die. If you kill him in the allotted time, you will capture their soul. It's the exact same as Oblivion.
Early on in the main quest the Jarl gives you the Axe of Whiterun (maybe right after killing the dragon? The axe is enchanted with soul capture. I haven't seen or bought the spell yet.
I sold that as soon as I got it. I sure hope there is a better way. I also didnt know you could disenchant items :( I need the book for this game.

I sold that as soon as I got it. I sure hope there is a better way. I also didnt know you could disenchant items :( I need the book for this game.

After further review (looking online) it appears that axe has a random enchantment. So yours may not have had soul capture.

I sold that as soon as I got it. I sure hope there is a better way. I also didnt know you could disenchant items :(I need the book for this game.
This is the only complaint I have about the game so far outside of the one freeze and its limited to me personally. There is so much a new player doesnt know and I got the book last night but its so big I dont even know where to start (I will be starting with the perks today when I get home)Its a bit easier for experienced RPG guys because they know what to look for and how to do certain things. Dont get me wrong, I am having lots of fun but it can be frustrating not knowing how to use magic and cast spells and combine itemsI also missed those stones because I left when the guard set lets split up. I also am missing a ton of stuff by not looking carefully enough. A great learning experience for sure as I am really enjoying the experience so far.One more thing that bothered me. I walked all the way from whiterun to the magic college in winterfell and when I got back to whiterun I realized I could have taken a cab for 50 gold. That made me :hot: since there was nothing great on the walk

Anyone know if you get the xp if your follower kills the enemy for you?

Here's my character build, btw for non-spoiler entertainment:

Race: Dark Elf

Visuals: Skinny as possible, long hair and long beard aka the black Jesus look.

Name: Dérp

Level: 10 (I had about 8 hours of gameplay with my brother, then another 8 or so with Dérp at home)

Skills: Concentrating on Archery, Sneak, Destruction, Light Armor

Guilds: None as of yet, but thieves and dark brotherhood are the likely choices.

Things I've learned so far:

-You can pretty much jump your horse off of any waterfall and he'll live. Oh, he'll scream in pain, but 'Dérp's Horse' survives.

-You CANNOT jump off of any mountainside and have your horse survive. It results in a goofy-as-heck animation where your horse screams and collapses in a heap, but you remain mounted mid-air for a bit before sort of sliding to the ground and getting up with a dumb look on your face.

-As with Oblivion if you just eat ingredients you'll learn one of their four properties. I like to think of it as episode of fear factor. "Troll fat. Eat it, Dérp!"

-There are 85 spells in the game

-20+ Dragon Shouts

-Don't start chopping wood if you have a lot of equipment...the slow walk in for payment is embarrassing.

-I whoop-that-### in bar fights. Watch your step, kids/bards/warrior ladies.

-If you give your stuff to a follower to hold, they'll equip it themselves to better serve you. Lydia is rocking a two-handed battle axe and my leftover heavy armor (I'm going light armor). I'm really skinny, so we're basically the same size.

-I've read somewhere that your horse fights. Dérp's Horse, however, is a ##### and runs way up the road when it gets hairy. Too bad you can't whistle like in Red Dead Redemption.

I sold that as soon as I got it. I sure hope there is a better way. I also didnt know you could disenchant items :(

I need the book for this game.
This is the only complaint I have about the game so far outside of the one freeze and its limited to me personally. There is so much a new player doesnt know and I got the book last night but its so big I dont even know where to start (I will be starting with the perks today when I get home)Its a bit easier for experienced RPG guys because they know what to look for and how to do certain things. Dont get me wrong, I am having lots of fun but it can be frustrating not knowing how to use magic and cast spells and combine items

I also missed those stones because I left when the guard set lets split up. I also am missing a ton of stuff by not looking carefully enough. A great learning experience for sure as I am really enjoying the experience so far.

One more thing that bothered me. I walked all the way from whiterun to the magic college in winterfell and when I got back to whiterun I realized I could have taken a cab for 50 gold. That made me :hot: since there was nothing great on the walk
I sneak everywhere. It takes longer, but once you get use to it, its fine. I dont even use my horse that I paid 1k for, however he does like to scare the crap out of me as soon as I come out of a dungeon and he is standing right there waiting for me.

I sold that as soon as I got it. I sure hope there is a better way. I also didnt know you could disenchant items :(I need the book for this game.
This is the only complaint I have about the game so far outside of the one freeze and its limited to me personally. There is so much a new player doesnt know and I got the book last night but its so big I dont even know where to start (I will be starting with the perks today when I get home)Its a bit easier for experienced RPG guys because they know what to look for and how to do certain things. Dont get me wrong, I am having lots of fun but it can be frustrating not knowing how to use magic and cast spells and combine itemsI also missed those stones because I left when the guard set lets split up. I also am missing a ton of stuff by not looking carefully enough. A great learning experience for sure as I am really enjoying the experience so far.One more thing that bothered me. I walked all the way from whiterun to the magic college in winterfell and when I got back to whiterun I realized I could have taken a cab for 50 gold. That made me :hot: since there was nothing great on the walk
TREbro and I had a freeze after about 8 hours of consecutive play. He kept dying on the same spot over and over and I think the game got mad at him.

Did anyone choose to go with the rebel in the opening quest?

Update:

Finally made it to Solitude and the Bard's College.

Fun things along the way -

- You can forget the monster equity of Oblivion. If you come across a giant and you are too dumb to run, he will hit you once with his club and you will die. Fortunately they aren't that fast and have really bad reaction time.

- You can turn dead animals into zombies. I was attacked by a sabertooth cat. A tough battle ensued but I won. Then I remembered JTG asking about reviving animals and viola! Zombie sabertooth cat.
The first one I met sent my sailing 30 feet in the air. One hit.And noted re: that sabertooth. I know where he lives. :nerd:

:bag: I didnt even realize you had a choice of who to run at the start of the game

I almost feel like doing what DP did and starting a new game knowing what I know now. I just dont think I have the time to do it all over again.
Oh I'm still playing my original guy. I just like to change it up now and then. I missed a lot to start too. You always do in these games, which only adds to the replay value.

For example: my first character ran ahead of the imperial guard when he said, "We should probably split up."

As I result, I totally missed the stones and went without the +20% bonus to my skills until level 17. :lmao:
more on this?

playing a wood elf archer. Hunting Big Game out in the wild is a blast.

Joined the Companions.

Hope to hell I can eventually become a werewolf.

Oh I'm still playing my original guy. I just like to change it up now and then. I missed a lot to start too. You always do in these games, which only adds to the replay value.

For example: my first character ran ahead of the imperial guard when he said, "We should probably split up."

As I result, I totally missed the stones and went without the +20% bonus to my skills until level 17. :lmao:
more on this?

This is my first RPG so sorry if I seem clueless....

Just bought my house in Whiterun. How do I store stuff in it? Just drop what I want to store on the floor and it will always be there?

This is my first RPG so sorry if I seem clueless....Just bought my house in Whiterun. How do I store stuff in it? Just drop what I want to store on the floor and it will always be there?
How did you get so much gold. The most I have ever had is around 1000

Making the hike up to High Hrothgar was visually stunning. Friggin frost wolves killed my horse along the way, but the experience as a whole was fantastic.

This is my first RPG so sorry if I seem clueless....Just bought my house in Whiterun. How do I store stuff in it? Just drop what I want to store on the floor and it will always be there?
I dunno, lol. I am just working on the main quests and am at level 7. Had about 5500 in gold when I bought it.

I was going back and forth on helping imperial or stormcloak and eventually decided stormcloak. But when I went to windhelm they started giving my #### for being an Orc so I said screw em and went to Solitude. However in Solitude I wandered in the wrong place and next thing I know my companion is dead and I am in the dungeon. So screw em both.

I was going back and forth on helping imperial or stormcloak and eventually decided stormcloak. But when I went to windhelm they started giving my #### for being an Orc so I said screw em and went to Solitude. However in Solitude I wandered in the wrong place and next thing I know my companion is dead and I am in the dungeon. So screw em both.
:lmao:

Making the hike up to High Hrothgar was visually stunning. Friggin frost wolves killed my horse along the way, but the experience as a whole was fantastic.
Yeah, that was cool. I got smoked the first time I went up there. Stupid townspeople telling me there's only a couple of wolves up there.

Clear out a bandit camp and sell all armor/weapons. Before you know it you will have plenty. You will start to find more and more valuable items as you play.

Loving the stealth gameplay in Skyrim. The instant-kill assassination animations are great. Dual-wielding is super fun. I'm level 17 and still haven't found a decent dagger though.

Loving the stealth gameplay in Skyrim. The instant-kill assassination animations are great. Dual-wielding is super fun. I'm level 17 and still haven't found a decent dagger though.
was just going to ask about this. Might have to cheat and find one in the manual.I want to roll with duel wielded daggers. Poisoned.

:nerd:

Users who are viewing this thread