What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

General Malaise "vs." reading comprehension ; also some talk of skyim and the elder scrolls (2 Viewers)

'Matthias said:
is the laggy gameplay only on ps3, or are the 360 users having issues? checked Mt memory and I have 45G free, not sure what's up
Lag is just on the PS3. My understanding is that it isn't the storage memory; it's the number of memory requests that the game floods the hard drive with. So it's an input/output issue not total size.
This makes more sense.

I'm sure this might be a stupid question.

Can you only have one "character" at a time and if not, how many character slots are there? I like experimenting with various combinations before settling on something.

Small tip here. Do not go down the Lock Pick perk tree to get treasure hunter. I have had it for two days and I have noticed a very small increase in magical items and a few more ebony than normal. Definitely not worth the several points it takes to get to that spot. I really hope we can reset our perks at some point.

Multiple Monitor setup

Curious if anyone is playing this on multiple monitors and what you're finding is the best solution for the inadequacies of the game. I'm playing it at 6048x1200 including the bezel correction I have set. I'll share my setup in case it helps anyone else.

HUD:

The HUD was messed up, showing on the left display. I found a pair of fixes for it and went with Hayden's fix, version 4a since it doesn't require installing additional software that the second person's fix did. You basically launch the fix before you start Skyrim and click "Inject Patch", then start up Skyrim and it moves the display back to the middle. A lot of the time the lockpick screen ends up a little high on the screen, but nothing that hinders picking a lock.

If you use M to open the map it's good, but if you get at it otherwise you have to do an extra button press to temporarily disable the fix or the icons show up in the wrong locations.

Only real issue I've seen is the floating icons like above a person for a quest, lag behind them when they move.

Oh, and on wide screen, the cursor moves really fast in the map, making it tough to select an icon. That's just widescreen I think, not the HUD-fix I'm using. Disabling the mouse acceleration in the prefs files helped, though it still moves pretty quick.

Frames per second:

Was flying on single screen, soon as I extended my display and set up my prefs file to use it, performance dropped to around 1 frame per second. Turns out it was the anti-aliasing that was the problem. Soon as I turned it off in the setup, I was getting in the 25-30 range in busy areas and much more in a dungeon or indoors, which is very playable. (The console no longer displays FPS rate, you instead need to run a program like FRAPS to display it for you.)

I did notice the opening movie with the Bethesda Logo started lagging at the end of it when I went widescreen, so I have to sit and wait an extra 30 seconds to a minute before I can choose to load a game. I came across a crash fix of changing your sound card's output settings which I tried and I believe it fixed that issue. Though I then later went in and renamed that movie so it doesn't show at all, now it takes me straight to the Continue game screen.

I also shut down vsync which I think probably helped the framerate a little, and I haven't noticed the kind of graphics glitches it is there to fix.

4 GB mod

I grabbed the mod off the Nexus that has an executable that lets the game use 4 GB of RAM instead of the 2 it will use by default. I have had a pair of crashes that behaved differently since I went to it, but nothing occurring with any more frequency than the normal amount of crashes you expect from a Bethesda game, so sticking with it.

Xbox 360 controller on the PC

While I like aiming with the mouse, I really prefer the range of movement of a controller. So I picked up a wired controller which is plug and play with Windows 7. You cannot just plug a wireless 360 controller into Windows 7 via the recharge USB cable, it won't do anything other than charge it. Have to have a wired one, or get the wireless adapter for it.

So after I got the 360 controller then I picked up a program from the Nexus to allow you to remap the buttons on the controller. Not just remap, but it lets you add new ones including dual button presses. For example, I got rid of that menu where you choose to go to inventory, magic, map, or skills entirely, and instead I do LB + A/B/X/Y to jump straight to those menus same as the keyboard's M, I, P, etc, do. I set up quicksave to be LB+start, since there isn't a quicksave on the normal Xbox controller scheme.

One problem is if you modify some of the files it modifies, then the hotkeys don't work quite right. They will switch to a weapon, but you can't save a setup that has a weapon in each hand. Eventually someone will come out with a better set of hot keys that'll let you do full sets of armor, equipped weapons/spells, etc, so I'll just live with it for now. When I need to switch I pull up favorites and set the items manually there.

Overall it is pretty awesome on the three monitors. The peripheral vision gets stretched and zoomed in a bit, same as in Oblivion, but it's still worth it. It actually is something I take advantage of if I am trying to tell if that silhouette in the distance is a creature or a tree stump, just turn so it's in the most enlarged part of the peripheral and it's like looking at it through great binoculars.

Only real major bug I hit has been around fast traveling. A few times any time I tried to fast travel to a given location it would crash to desktop. I searched on that one and it sounds like others have hit it, and a fix is to just fast travel to somewhere closer first, and then fast travel from there, and sure enough it has fixed it the handful of times I've hit it.

I'm sure this might be a stupid question.Can you only have one "character" at a time and if not, how many character slots are there? I like experimenting with various combinations before settling on something.
You can have as many characters as you want. Each is their own separate game though, you can't swap to another character and continue where the other char left off. The only limit that could exist would be if one of the consoles limits how many save files they would let you have on the system.

Oh, and one other thing on the Displays. There is an inventory replacement mod on the Nexus, which makes it look more like past games where you can see your items in a table with the weight, value, etc, displayed without having to individually select each item.

But last time I looked in on it, it caused a bug where you can't get into the last menu in some shopkeeper or chests or the like, normally the MISC menu. So to get anything from there you'd have to use the entire contents list.

I'm waiting until they work out the problems better before I get it. They also couldn't make it so you can sort by value or weight like you could in past games. Said they would have to rewrite the whole inventory system to make that happen, so again, something that someone will probably come out with down the road.

For console users, I'm talking about PC only mods here.

Small tip here. Do not go down the Lock Pick perk tree to get treasure hunter. I have had it for two days and I have noticed a very small increase in magical items and a few more ebony than normal. Definitely not worth the several points it takes to get to that spot. I really hope we can reset our perks at some point.
Don't think you can.

Had a couple random run-ins with mages when traveling at night on Frost (horse from one of the Riften side quests). It was crazy seeing them work their magic at night - what a light show! Got 'em both, though - fun stuff.

On the Frost quest, I was supposed to see a man about a horse once I was done with it, but he's disappeared - anyone do this and know where he went to?
Wife n kids are gone for most of the day. Cowboys played on Thanksgiving.

Skyrim 8 hour session.
Follow the GPS. You meet him outside the town.
He's sometimes not there if you went to talk to Maven first. Because she says she's giving you Frost's ownership papers, but then she doesn't actually give them to you. And the guy only shows up if you have them. So you still have to go to their estate outside of town and steal them.
I have the papers, and I got them from the estate first, before talking to Maven. And the GPS thingee points me to the Graybeards, even though I set the Frost quest as active. I'm probably doing something wrong, but I'll head over there and see.

I have a problem with stealing. I'm new to the game (Level 4), but played Fallout 3/NV so I'm familiar with most mechanics. I steal things without being seen (hidden) and get away with it, but later I end up with a bounty on me (3 thugs tried to kill me) and later guards know me and confiscate my stolen goods. NO ONE SAW ME. How am I automatically wanted?

That's it. Sometime this week I'm going to rewatch that steaming pile of crap on Netflix and come back with a more detailed smackdown.

IT'S ON
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: For the love of all that is holy please read the novels and give us a complete book review.

I think its time GRR Martin got the full 'sack treatment..

You guys been finding treasure maps?Do you need a shovel or something to get the treasure?
I found MapIII - forget where..If you have the map the treasure will be there when you go to the spot. If you dont have the map, it wont be there.No need for shovels etc.

I have a problem with stealing. I'm new to the game (Level 4), but played Fallout 3/NV so I'm familiar with most mechanics. I steal things without being seen (hidden) and get away with it, but later I end up with a bounty on me (3 thugs tried to kill me) and later guards know me and confiscate my stolen goods. NO ONE SAW ME. How am I automatically wanted?
I had this happen to me, too. I don't know for sure, but I suspect it's because you stole from a protected house. Some people are under the protection of the Thieves Guild and you're not "supposed" to steal from them. If you find a book called "Shadowmarks" (there are plenty in the Thieves Guild itself), read it. It will really help you pick your thievery targets going forward. The Guild has a way of knowing things.My only alternative explanation is that a kid saw you.When it happened to me, I hadn't even left Riverwood yet. I was busy looting the town when the three thugs showed up. When I searched them, it turns out that Dorthe (the kid in the blacksmith's house) had taken out the contract. So either she saw me steal, or that house is protected.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this happen to me, too. I don't know for sure, but I suspect it's because you stole from a protected house. Some people are under the protection of the Thieves Guild and you're not "supposed" to steal from them. If you find a book called "Shadowmarks" (there are plenty in the Thieves Guild itself), read it. It will really help you pick your thievery targets going forward. The Guild has a way of knowing things.My only alternative explanation is that a kid saw you.When it happened to me, I hadn't even left Riverwood yet. I was busy looting the town when the three thugs showed up. When I searched them, it turns out that Dorthe (the kid in the blacksmith's house) had taken out the contract. So either she saw me steal, or that house is protected.
So kids take out contracts to have thieves beaten up, and kids perform bloody rituals to make assassination contracts.WARNING: DO NOT PISS OFF THE CHILDREN OF SKYRIM.

So kids take out contracts to have thieves beaten up, and kids perform bloody rituals to make assassination contracts.WARNING: DO NOT PISS OFF THE CHILDREN OF SKYRIM.
Also, kids are immortal in this game. Another reason not to trust them.I had been under the impression that the "hired thug" thing happened to everybody once if you do much stealing. The "protected house" theory is interesting -- I hadn't even noticed that some of these people are connected to the Theives Guild.

Do different merchants offer you different amounts of money for goods?
Yes, and if anybody happens to know of anyone who will buy potions and who has more than 750-1000 septims, I'd appreciate the tip. I tried leveling up my alchemy yesterday using all the ingredients I had been hoarding throughout the game. Now I have a ton of potions, including 50-60 high-value potions like Invisibility, Paralysis, and Regenerate Magicka, but it's too much of a PITA to cash them in because the merchants in Whiterun can only buy 2 or 3 at a time and then I have to wait for 48 hours for their gold to replenish. That's a slow, boring process.

Yes, and if anybody happens to know of anyone who will buy potions and who has more than 750-1000 septims, I'd appreciate the tip. I tried leveling up my alchemy yesterday using all the ingredients I had been hoarding throughout the game. Now I have a ton of potions, including 50-60 high-value potions like Invisibility, Paralysis, and Regenerate Magicka, but it's too much of a PITA to cash them in because the merchants in Whiterun can only buy 2 or 3 at a time and then I have to wait for 48 hours for their gold to replenish. That's a slow, boring process.
With my new character I'm going to toss perks into Speech to see how much of a difference it makes. He's a mage focusing on Destruction and Conjuration, with secondary perks in Enchanting and Speech to raise funds and equip himself.Also I never noticed that merchs offer different prices.So those general store merchs (like the guy in Riverwood) offer crappy prices all around? I bet it matters if you're friends with them or not. I suspected this early on and kept going back to Riverwood because after the Golden Claw quest he was all chummy with me and let me violate his sister in an uncomfortable position. Ok I made the last up.

Also I never noticed that merchs offer different prices.
Actually, I misread the question. For some reason I thought he was asking about whether different merchants had different amounts of money available, but that was brain-failure on my end. I haven't noticed if they offer different prices. I'm fairly sure they did in Oblivion, or at least that was true for fences, but I don't know if that's the case in Skyrim.

With my new character I'm going to toss perks into Speech to see how much of a difference it makes. He's a mage focusing on Destruction and Conjuration, with secondary perks in Enchanting and Speech to raise funds and equip himself.Also I never noticed that merchs offer different prices.

So those general store merchs (like the guy in Riverwood) offer crappy prices all around?

I bet it matters if you're friends with them or not. I suspected this early on and kept going back to Riverwood because after the Golden Claw quest he was all chummy with me and let me violate his sister in an uncomfortable position. Ok I made the last up.
She's always talking game... definitely wants some wood elf wood.

With my new character I'm going to toss perks into Speech to see how much of a difference it makes. He's a mage focusing on Destruction and Conjuration, with secondary perks in Enchanting and Speech to raise funds and equip himself.Also I never noticed that merchs offer different prices.

So those general store merchs (like the guy in Riverwood) offer crappy prices all around?

I bet it matters if you're friends with them or not. I suspected this early on and kept going back to Riverwood because after the Golden Claw quest he was all chummy with me and let me violate his sister in an uncomfortable position. Ok I made the last up.
She's always talking game... definitely wants some wood elf wood.
Didn't you do the little side quest involving her?She's into those people.

What is the best way to level Mage skills? Are college and guild separate?
Cast conjure flame atronach, blast it with Ice spike.
Oooo, wait. If you kill a summoned Fire Atronach, does it leave you fire salts?
:yes:
Where can I get some good spells? Went to winter hold for college but I can't get in without casting a firebolt spell. Went all the way to nearest town but there really is t squat for shopping up north. Currently doing nightmares quest and getting roasted by daedric mages.

That's it. Sometime this week I'm going to rewatch that steaming pile of crap on Netflix and come back with a more detailed smackdown.

IT'S ON
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: For the love of all that is holy please read the novels and give us a complete book review.

Read my post in game of thrones thread. I legitimately hate that dude after reading all his books in that series. Will buy next book though :bag:

IT'S ON

Read my post in game of thrones thread. I legitimately hate that dude after reading all his books in that series. Will buy next book though :bag:
Read the first book and I was so confused that I felt I needed to write down a list of all the characters.

So after the Eagles got their butts kicked I turned on Skyrim and decided it was time to organize my skulls and gems. :nerd: So I was putting all of my skulls in the little pit inside right in front of the front door of my house and I was dumping all my gems on the table where the light hits them best.

My wife sits on the couch and notices theres not much going on noise wise and asks what I am doing. I say nothing and keep hitting X slide down to drop 1 skull and repeat. (if you "hit drop all", the skulls fall on the floor as 1 skull instead of a giant pile). Then move over to the table and start doing the same process with all of my gems. She once again asks what I am doing so I begrudgingly explain it to her and she looks at me says "What did I marry?" :(

Where can I get some good spells? Went to winter hold for college but I can't get in without casting a firebolt spell. Went all the way to nearest town but there really is t squat for shopping up north. Currently doing nightmares quest and getting roasted by daedric mages.
You don't need the firebolt, in the conversation there's a way to get her to give you a spell to cast, iirc.

You don't need the firebolt, in the conversation there's a way to get her to give you a spell to cast, irrc.
you can also buy them from the mage at the castle in whiterun

The "protected house" theory is interesting -- I hadn't even noticed that some of these people are connected to the Theives Guild.
It's pretty awesome. I don't enter a building now without checking for a shadowmark.
sorry if I missed this -- how/where do you check for this? They're just in that Shadowmarks book?
The Shadowmarks book tells you what all of the marks mean: protected, good loot, fence, danger, etc. The marks themselves are somewhere on the exterior of the house, generally near the door. Sometimes at ground level, sometimes above the door... somebody who wasn't looking for them would probably never notice them, but when you know what to look for, they stand out pretty well.But not every building has one, so don't drive yourself nuts. Many residences do, though. Especially swank ones.If you want to see an example, go to Windhelm. Spot the "protected" mark on the Clan Cruel-Sea house, and the "loot" mark on both Clan Shatter-Shield and Viola Giordano's House.

The "protected house" theory is interesting -- I hadn't even noticed that some of these people are connected to the Theives Guild.
It's pretty awesome. I don't enter a building now without checking for a shadowmark.
sorry if I missed this -- how/where do you check for this? They're just in that Shadowmarks book?
The Shadowmarks book tells you what all of the marks mean: protected, good loot, fence, danger, etc. The marks themselves are somewhere on the exterior of the house, generally near the door. Sometimes at ground level, sometimes above the door... somebody who wasn't looking for them would probably never notice them, but when you know what to look for, they stand out pretty well.But not every building has one, so don't drive yourself nuts. Many residences do, though. Especially swank ones.If you want to see an example, go to Windhelm. Spot the "protected" mark on the Clan Cruel-Sea house, and the "loot" mark on both Clan Shatter-Shield and Viola Giordano's House.
Good info here. Time to put the skeleton key to work.

Also really wanting to try out the thieves guild. Where is it? I've already gotten sneak up above level 30 after playing for a few days, and most posts on here make it seem like a cool guild track.

Another question re shouts: should I be saving these for special occasions? I have used one twice (once to show guard that I was Dragonborn and once in a fight). Do you only get so many shouts from a dragon soul?

In oblivion you could only use your ancestral power once every 24 hours. Same deal in Skyrim?

As for character dev, I've always liked the rogue/ranger type best, someone adept at swordplay, sneak, and magic. Any reason not to play a character like this? realize there is no right and wrong way to play but this is essentially what I did in Oblivion and wondering if anyone sees any downside to this. I'd say I use destruction/sword about 50/50.

Also just got dual-casting perk and have not used it yet. Working from home today will be a challenge.

You don't need the firebolt, in the conversation there's a way to get her to give you a spell to cast, irrc.
So basically I trekked all over the frozen mountains for nothing? Awesome.

It seems the PS3 Skyrim patch has been released.

I've not tried it yet.
Hope so as I have gotten to the unplayable lag after 11 MB save file.Also, I am level 41 and have only done a few of the steps along the main questline...everything seems really easy, I am not even really sneaking in dungeons anymore and the elder dragons, giants, Dharmar (sp?), etc. are a cakewalk. May have to start over and stay with the main quest so it is more of a challenge. Also running a tank and am kind of interested in the magic only or magic/sneak build instead so might just do that.

I've not tried it yet.
Hope so as I have gotten to the unplayable lag after 11 MB save file.

Also, I am level 41 and have only done a few of the steps along the main questline...everything seems really easy, I am not even really sneaking in dungeons anymore and the elder dragons, giants, Dharmar (sp?), etc. are a cakewalk. May have to start over and stay with the main quest so it is more of a challenge. Also running a tank and am kind of interested in the magic only or magic/sneak build instead so might just do that.
Not sure the file size, but I am approaching 500 manual saves as well as the autosave and I'm experiencing major lag on the 360 when I go to save it each time.

Had the dragon music kick in and I went into Inventory to equip my bow. Before I could notch an arrow the dragon fell out of the sky and died in front of me. Must have scared him to death.

I've not tried it yet.

Also, I am level 41 and have only done a few of the steps along the main questline...everything seems really easy, I am not even really sneaking in dungeons anymore and the elder dragons, giants, Dharmar (sp?), etc. are a cakewalk. May have to start over and stay with the main quest so it is more of a challenge. Also running a tank and am kind of interested in the magic only or magic/sneak build instead so might just do that.
Not sure the file size, but I am approaching 500 manual saves as well as the autosave and I'm experiencing major lag on the 360 when I go to save it each time.
Wow, wtf are you doing? I rotate through about 30 manual saves and feel like that's too much.

Another question re shouts: should I be saving these for special occasions? I have used one twice (once to show guard that I was Dragonborn and once in a fight). Do you only get so many shouts from a dragon soul?
Once you learn a shout and give it a soul, you have it forever. It just takes a minute or so to build back up to use it again. The bar across the top shows it refilling.

I've not tried it yet.

Wow, wtf are you doing? I rotate through about 30 manual saves and feel like that's too much.
I think he means he has saved 500 times. I am close to that number as well. I just delete a majority of them and have about 20 that I keep JUST IN CASE.

'Matthias said:

This happened to me in Morrowind and Oblivion. I ran around, finishing all the guild quests, and then never bothered finishing the main quests because they were too boring/easy. I finished about 90%+ of the storyline then just let it tail off.
turn up the difficulty?

I've not tried it yet.

I think he means he has saved 500 times. I am close to that number as well. I just delete a majority of them and have about 20 that I keep JUST IN CASE.
Yeah, thats what I meant. I guess I just need to go in and delete most of them. I have no reason for ever going back. I am level 43 right now and the game is still challenging. I leveled up a little of everything instead of focusing though. I'm around 50 in Destruction and Restoration, 60 in Archery, and 85 in Two Handed. I have Enchanment and Smithing maxed. Working on Alchemy.

I'm home sick. You would think perfect way to play some skyrim. But I'm watching fresh beat band all day instead

Where do you pick up the thieves quests? I might want to check that out. I just started the second act of the main quest.

speaking of difficulty, I am impressed by the leveling of the world around you, w/o being silly (bandits in glass armor/etc). In Morrowind and Oblivion, by the time I got to level 25, I could kill just about anything pretty easily. I'm level 26 in Skyrim, and still would rather not run into a sabre cat or bear. I feel strong, for sure, but not overpowered by any means, and still have to be careful. I'm one-shotting some enemies, and getting fried by others. Very cool.

I'm home sick. You would think perfect way to play some skyrim. But I'm watching fresh beat band all day insteadWhere do you pick up the thieves quests? I might want to check that out. I just started the second act of the main quest.
Riften. Go to the market - you'll be approached to do a little illegal job.

Users who are viewing this thread