What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

Tomorrow, on Day One, we already have our first Deja Vote. Yep, that's right; someone has the same song in the same spot as...I do! Which poster is so smart? We'll see!

I'm going to try, though I can't guarantee, to collate the lists I received for theSUPER-AWESOME-MEGA-CONTEST!!!111 and post aggregated information on the selections tomorrow. I'm not going to embarrass anyone with individual selections, but we'll see in general where the middle-aged-dummy vote went on every question.

Tomorrow, on Day One, we already have our first Deja Vote. Yep, that's right; someone has the same song in the same spot as...I do! Which poster is so smart? We'll see!

I'm going to try, though I can't guarantee, to collate the lists I received for theSUPER-AWESOME-MEGA-CONTEST!!!111 and post aggregated information on the selections tomorrow. I'm not going to embarrass anyone with individual selections, but we'll see in general where the middle-aged-dummy vote went on every question.
Guess: it's definitely not me.

I'm gonna go ahead and say you and me ain't the deja vote :P

Which Beatles cover band will score more: Oasis or ELO?
Since when is ELO a Beatles cover band?!? I'll say Oasis simply because I don't know of a ELO song that's a Beatles cover.

It was just a joke because both bands stole so much from the Beatles. :)

Early ELO is almost prog-rock. Then Jeff Lynne started writing pop hits. They did end up sounding Beatle-esque. I like them - they were one of my favorite bands in the 70's.

Since when is ELO a Beatles cover band?!? I'll say Oasis simply because I don't know of a ELO song that's a Beatles cover.

Early ELO is almost prog-rock. Then Jeff Lynne started writing pop hits. They did end up sounding Beatle-esque. I like them - they were one of my favorite bands in the 70's.

It's not a diss, but Jeff Lynne wanted nothing more in his life than to be a Beatle.

I second that guess. Maybe you and I matched instead...

Side Question - Are we going to have a Google Docs spreadsheet again like we did in the last draft? I ask because my Contest Point Tracking Spreadsheet (TM) is designed to have the current top 10 and top song get copied in from just such a document.

It's not a diss, but Jeff Lynne wanted nothing more in his life than to be a Beatle.
He was probably not the only person in his generation to feel that way.

I'm pretty sure it ain't me, given what I know of her tastes.

Out of 45 entrants, only one had a 31-point song from an artist who was not selected by anyone else.
Hawks or OH.

Hawks had a much chalkier list this time. And OH's top half is pretty chalky in terms of artists; the bottom half is where the kazoo bands and the Microsoft start-up sound come in.
I actually found a Kazoo Orchestra album in a cut-out bin at Barker's dept store in the early 70s. I'm pretty sure it was the Temple City Orch., but all I could find on Discogs was a RHino re-issue from 1978 and I am certain I bought mine no later than 73, and since it was in a cut-out bin, it would have been pressed no later than 72,

:lmao: KP, I actually like your selection quite a lot. Manster, I don't know yours even though I recognize the name. :bag:
That's been one of the most interesting things to me about these lists......songs/artists that people are not familiar with, that others are very familiar with.....I don't think my first round song is a great example of this, but there have been many throughout the US one where I was like "how has so-and-so never heard of insert song?".......and then I realize I'm in the same boat with a lot of other folks selections

Last edited:
Out of 45 entrants, only one had a 31-point song from an artist who was not selected by anyone else.
Hawks or OH.

Hawks had a much chalkier list this time. And OH's top half is pretty chalky in terms of artists; the bottom half is where the kazoo bands and the Microsoft start-up sound come in.
I actually found a Kazoo Orchestra album in a cut-out bin at Barker's dept store in the early 70s. I'm pretty sure it was the Temple City Orch., but all I could find on Discogs was a RHino re-issue from 1978 and I am certain I bought mine no later than 73, and since it was in a cut-out bin, it would have been pressed no later than 72,
All ukeleles all the time.

Since I'm working on the artist rankings right now...guesses as to total number of artists in this countdown? For reference, in the US countdown we had 36 lists submitted with 526 different artists.

WINNER! We had a 21-way tie for 352nd place (one point), meaning we had 372 separate artists.

Oops. 371 rather than 372. There was an artist I missed who had a one-pointer and a two-pointer, and I had counted them separately.

Last edited:
Pattie-Boyd-off! Which artist scores more points: George Harrison solo or Cream?

Cream seems obvious to me, which means it's probably wrong...

at what overall ranking will our highest-ranking female artist land?

Oasis

(I'm catching up and just rhough page 59, so not sure if any of these answers have been posted yet.)

One-Point Selections:

Pip’s Invitation:

Nine Feet Underground - Caravan

New Binky the Doormat:

Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode

worrierking:

All The Way From Memphis - Mott The Hoople

titusbramble:

Rabbit – Chas & Dave

simey:

Shadow Dancing - Andy Gibb

Just Win Baby:

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face – Coldplay

Don Quixote:

Teenage Kicks - The Undertones

MAC_32:

Lights – Ellie Goulding

timschochet:

Oh! Camil (The Winter Soldier) - Graham Nash

Yankee23Fan:

Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve

Hawks64:

Long Distance Runaround – Yes

jwb:

Cum On Feel The Noize – Slade

DrIanMalcolm:

Magic - Olivia Newton-John

Dr. Octopus:

Kayleigh - Marillion

KarmaPolice:

She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult

shuke:

Right Back Where We Started From - Maxine Nightingale

Manster:

Ace Of Spades - Motorhead

scorchy:

Devil In The Details - The Broken Family Band

Sullie:

Connected - Stereo MC's

Andy Dufresne:

I'm In Love With A German Film Star - The Passions

Mister CIA:

Pictures Of Matchstick Men – Status Quo

Mrs. Rannous:

Straight To... Number One - Touch And Go

higgins:

Only Time Will Tell – Asia

The Dreaded Marco:

This Is A Low – Blur

simsarge:

Be My Downfall - Del Amitri

Mt. Man:

Neat Neat Neat - The Damned

landrys hat:

All Day And All Of The Night - The Kinks

Westerberg:

There She Goes - The La's

Eephus:

Fine Time - Robert Palmer

rockaction:

Ready Steady Go - Generation X

falguy:

Son Of A Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield

Hov34:

Is She Really Going Out With Him? – Joe Jackson

zamboni:

I Wanna Be Adored - The Stone Roses

Doug B:

Mama Used To Say - Junior

Ilov80s:

Cherry-Coloured Funk - Cocteau Twins

Val Rannous:

Woke Up This Morning (Chosen One Mix) - Alabama 3

Chaos34:

Strachan - The Hitchers

Chaz McNulty:

Good Grief (Live at Capitol Studios version) – Bastille

Zegras11:

Nowhere Girl - B-Movie

AAABatteries:

Feed The Birds - Julie Andrews

Oliver Humanzee:

Listen to the Sirens - Tubeway Army

Mrs. Eephus:

Parklife – Blur

ditkaburgers:

Your Girlfriend – Blossoms

cosjobs:

I Dreamed A Dream - Susan Boyle

krista4:

@Hov34 and I with the first Deja Vote of the countdown! The Joe Jackson tune kept coming and going on my list, but eventually squeaked on in large part because I like the ending. The beginning and the middle, too, but in an era of fade-aways, the abrupt ending was really cool.

We also see above that someone has lost their guess at the Ace Award already; I'll post about that next.

As expected with the one-pointers, there are a whole lot in here I don't know, and I look forward to the playlist! Of those I do know, shout-out to @Westerberg for The La's, @Mister CIA for the Status Quo song, and @simey for Andy Gibb. :wub:

Cream seems obvious to me, which means it's probably wrong...

Correct. I mean, correct that you're wrong. The answer is George Harrison.

The highest-ranked female artist is at #21.

ELO wins over Oasis.

Now to the 1-pointers
One-Point Selections:

Pip’s Invitation:

Nine Feet Underground - Caravan

New Binky the Doormat:

Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode

worrierking:

All The Way From Memphis - Mott The Hoople

titusbramble:

Rabbit – Chas & Dave

simey:

Shadow Dancing - Andy Gibb

Just Win Baby:

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face – Coldplay

Don Quixote:

Teenage Kicks - The Undertones

MAC_32:

Lights – Ellie Goulding

timschochet:

Oh! Camil (The Winter Soldier) - Graham Nash

Yankee23Fan:

Hawks64:

Long Distance Runaround – Yes

jwb:

Cum On Feel The Noize – Slade

DrIanMalcolm:

Magic - Olivia Newton-John

Dr. Octopus:

Kayleigh - Marillion

KarmaPolice:

She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult

shuke:

Right Back Where We Started From - Maxine Nightingale

Manster:

Ace Of Spades - Motorhead

scorchy:

Devil In The Details - The Broken Family Band

Sullie:

Connected - Stereo MC's

Andy Dufresne:

I'm In Love With A German Film Star - The Passions

Mister CIA:

Pictures Of Matchstick Men – Status Quo

Mrs. Rannous:

Straight To... Number One - Touch And Go

higgins:

Only Time Will Tell – Asia

The Dreaded Marco:

This Is A Low – Blur

simsarge:

Be My Downfall - Del Amitri

Mt. Man:

Neat Neat Neat - The Damned

landrys hat:

All Day And All Of The Night - The Kinks

Westerberg:

There She Goes - The La's

Eephus:

Fine Time - Robert Palmer

rockaction:

Ready Steady Go - Generation X

falguy:

Hov34:

zamboni:

I Wanna Be Adored - The Stone Roses

Doug B:

Mama Used To Say - Junior

Ilov80s:

Cherry-Coloured Funk - Cocteau Twins

Val Rannous:

Woke Up This Morning (Chosen One Mix) - Alabama 3

Chaos34:

Strachan - The Hitchers

Chaz McNulty:

Good Grief (Live at Capitol Studios version) – Bastille

Zegras11:

Nowhere Girl - B-Movie

AAABatteries:

Feed The Birds - Julie Andrews

Oliver Humanzee:

Listen to the Sirens - Tubeway Army

Mrs. Eephus:

Parklife – Blur

ditkaburgers:

Your Girlfriend – Blossoms

cosjobs:

I Dreamed A Dream - Susan Boyle

krista4:

I had no idea Maxine Nightingale was British. How can she be British and Sixpence be from Texas? Something is wrong with the world.

In my next post, I'm going to list all the tiebreaker answers for the SUPER-AWESOME-MEGA CONTEST!!!111 , which as you know was to guess the Ace Award given to the artist with the highest point total but only one song chosen.

REMINDER TO AVOID SPOILERS. Some of you will immediately see that a song is not the winner, because you chose a different song from the artist in question. DO NOT MENTION THIS or allude to it in any way.

In addition, to those who didn't participate in the US countdown, please REMEMBER TO AVOID SPOILERS on the lists themselves as we reveal the daily rankings. Some of the songs above will be seen several more times. We don't need to know that from you. No references to "we'll see this later on my list" and the like.

Thank you.
Management

The Ace Award goes to the artist who has the highest score but only one song selected. Guesses for the award were the tiebreaker question for the SUPER-AWESOME-MEGA-CONTEST!!!111.

Five votes:

Four votes:

Two votes:
Tainted Love - Soft Cell
In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry

One vote:
She Blinded Me With Science - Thomas Dolby
Tell Laura I Love Her - Ricky Valance
A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harum
Cruel To Be Kind - Nick Lowe
Song 2 - Blur (note this one has already been eliminated with the one-point selections)
Damaged Goods - Gang of Four
One Night In Bangkok - Murray Head
I Will Wait - Mumford and Sons
Time Of The Season - The Zombies
Everybody Wants To Rule The World - Tears for Fears
Wild Thing - Troggs
Bang A Gong (Get It On) - T. Rex
Freedom '90 - George Michael
You Got Another Thing Coming - Judas Priest

My top 5 from the 1 point round, excluding my own selection:
  1. @KarmaPolice : She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult
  2. @Yankee23Fan : Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve
  3. @landrys hat : All Day And All Of The Night - The Kinks
  4. @Hov34 , @krista4 : Is She Really Going Out With Him? – Joe Jackson
  5. @New Binky the Doormat : Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode
This Joe Jackson song was in my list for a while as I built it, but ultimately got pushed out. Would have been top 50 for me for sure. A couple of the others here will definitely show up later.

Glad we are underway! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread