What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

The Clash is a weird band for me. I really love their big 5-6 songs but when I go any deeper into their catalog, I am totally uninterested. I feel like should really enjoy a ton of their music but really don’t.
Almost exactly where I am at except my description of those 5-6 songs for me would be "tolerate".

Tuesdays are the in-person day for my office. We generally eat lunch together in the conference room as a way to build back some of the camaraderie that was lost with COVID/remote work. Today, I decided to run a little experiment based on Tim's statement:

I find it really hard to believe that “My Sweet Lord” is new to anyone over 30. Seems awfully unlikely.

My staff know that I'm weird and post on a magic football message board, so I briefly described the utter disbelief I encountered here last evening. Being a professional researcher, I did not give specific details nor try to sway my fellow diners in any direction. I simply played one minute of My Sweet Lord and one minute of Woke Up This Morning . I posed a single question after each: do you recognize this song?

First, a few demographics. Today's crowd was smaller than usual thanks to leave and work-related travel, and even if the full group had been assembled, it certainly would not comprise a representative sample. No projections to the population can me made from the results. The 13 respondents included:

Age <30 One male and one female
Age 31 - 40 Two males and four females
Age 41 - 50 One male and one female
Age 51 - 60 One male and one female
Age >60 One male

All are college-educated, with 11 of the 13 having an advanced degree of some sort. All were born and raised in the U.S. The old guy is a Deadhead, but none are music nerds in the sense of this thread. I would bet that if I played How Soon Is Now, maybe two would know it's The Smiths, a half-dozen would say "oooh, it's the theme from Charmed, and the remainder would look perplexed. Anyway, on to the findings...

Only 3 of 13 people recognized My Sweet Lord - the 60-something Deadhead, the 50-something woman, and the 25 year-old woman whose mom and dad love the Beatles. Two of the three knew it was George Harrison. No one else hazarded a guess.

Meanwhile, 9 of 13 people recognized Woke Up This Morning - all but the 40-something woman, two 30-something women, and the mid-20s man. No one, however, knew the actual name of the song or the identity of A3/Alabama 3.

What does this prove? Absolutely nothing.
Does it somehow excuse my ignorance of beautiful classics from the decade of my birth? No way, no how.
Does my 18-year old son know who George Harrison is? "Didn't he direct Star Wars? Or wait, he played Han Solo, right?"
How old was I when I learned Sympathy for the Devil was originally by the Stones? 18. It was my favorite song on Jane's Addiction's XXX record. A couple of years later, I played it in the restaurant kitchen and someone said that it ruined a great RS song. I was like, what?
Should I run the same experiment when I visit our Philly office on Thursday? Probably not. I don't need those folks to learn about my posting hobbies. Philly people are mean. Go Eagles!

Last edited:
Tuesdays are the in-person day for my office. We generally eat lunch together in the conference room as a way to build back some of the camaraderie that was lost with COVID/remote work. Today, I decided to run a little experiment based on Tim's statement:

I find it really hard to believe that “My Sweet Lord” is new to anyone over 30. Seems awfully unlikely.

My staff know that I'm weird and post on a magic football message board, so I briefly described the utter disbelief I encountered here last evening. Being a professional researcher, I did not give specific details nor try to sway my fellow diners in any direction. I simply played one minute of My Sweet Lord and one minute of Woke Up This Morning . I posed a single question after each: do you recognize this song?

First, a few demographics. Today's crowd was smaller than usual thanks to leave and work-related travel, and even if the full group had been assembled, it certainly would not compromise a representative sample. No projections to the population can me made from the results. The 13 respondents comprised:

Age >60 One male

All are college-educated, with 11 of the 13 having an advanced degree of some sort. All were born and raised in the U.S. The old guy is a Deadhead, but none are music nerds in the sense of this thread. I would bet that if I played How Soon Is Now, maybe two would know it's The Smiths, a half-dozen would say "oooh, it's the theme from Charmed, and the remainder would look perplexed. Anyway, on to the findings...

Only 3 of 13 people recognized My Sweet Lord - the 60-something Deadhead, the 50-something woman, and the 25 year-old woman whose mom and dad love the Beatles. Two of the three knew it was George Harrison. No one else hazarded a guess.

Meanwhile, 9 of 13 people recognized Woke Up This Morning - all but the 40-something woman, two 30-something women, and the mid-20s man. No one, however, knew the actual name of the song or the identity of A3/Alabama 3.

What does this prove? Absolute nothing.
Does it somehow excuse my ignorance of beautiful classics from the decade of my birth? No way, no how?
Does my 18-year old son know who George Harrison is? "Didn't he direct Star Wars? Or wait, he played Han Solo, right?"
How old was I when I learned Sympathy for the Devil was originally by the Stones? 18. It was my favorite song on Jane's Addiction's XXX record. A couple of years later, I played it in the restaurant kitchen and someone said that it ruined a great RS song. I was like, what?
Should I run the same experiment when I visit our Philly office on Thursday? Probably not. I don't need those folks to learn about my posting hobbies. Philly people are mean. Go Eagles!
What'd you eat for lunch?

The Clash is a weird band for me. I really love their big 5-6 songs but when I go any deeper into their catalog, I am totally uninterested. I feel like should really enjoy a ton of their music but really don’t.
I love the London Calling album, but I enjoy the album as a whole a lot more than the sum of the songs themselves individually. It does hit a bunch of different genres/influences and switches them up from song to song, which makes it an interesting listen top to bottom. But I don’t really have any of their songs in separate playlists (besides maybe or maybe not one here).

First, a few demographics. Today's crowd was smaller than usual thanks to leave and work-related travel, and even if the full group had been assembled, it certainly would not compromise a representative sample. No projections to the population can me made from the results. The 13 respondents comprised:

Age >60 One male

What does this prove? Absolute nothing.
Does it somehow excuse my ignorance of beautiful classics from the decade of my birth? No way, no how?
I doubt apple scruffs.

Nine-Point Selections:

New Binky the Doormat:

No More Heroes - The Stranglers
(new song)

worrierking:

Boom, Like That - Mark Knopfler
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

Damaged Goods - Gang of Four
(new artist)

scorchy:

The Concept - Teenage Fanclub
(new artist)

Mister CIA:

Rattlesnakes - Lloyd Cole and the Commotions
(new artist)

landrys hat:

When The Sun Hits - Slowdive
(new artist)
Of the songs I thought I might know and those that I didn't know at all, these were my favorites from this round.

Round 23 A few favorites, and a couple I wasn't sure if I mentioned previously.

Boom, Like that - You want some fries to go with that shake?
If You Leave - This song reminds me of the 80s and John Hughes films. OMD reminds me of Johnny Lunchbox.
Just Like Honey - I love it.
Ramble On - One of my favorite LZ songs.
Hysteria - I've always liked the main riff in this song. It has a pleasant sound about it.
Rattlesnakes - Reminds me of my sister.
Mustang Sally - Good blues number.
Pride - I love that intro.
She's Not Here - I can't remember if I noted this as a favorite earlier.
Cruel to be Kind - same as above - this song has that good 70s feel to it.
James Bond Theme - Love the orchestra in this and the guitar.
No More Tears - Reminds me of my brother
Damaged Goods - Like that bass.
Supersonic - Dig it
Enjoy the Silence - I recognized it once I heard it

It takes too long to write all the songs I liked, but I liked most all of them.

Observation - Bruce Dickinson has big a vocal range.

New songs I liked best:

When the Sun Hits
The Concept
Swamp Thing
Hounds of Love
Please, Please, Please Let me Get What I Want
The Changingman
6 Underground

I will say there is a song on this latest playlist, I've disliked since I first heard the song - likely on MTV.
There is one that is a bit of a lemon for me. I've never heard it until today. It sounds sorta like Tiny Tim. It made me smile, so there's that.

I'm one of the oldest middle-agers here which colors my opinon of The Clash. They epitomize a time and place for me; the age of Ronnie and Maggie, the hostages and the threat of nuclear war. They were making big and sometimes ridiculous artistic and political statements in the midst of this. I don't know who came up "the only band that matters" but it fit them for their 15 minutes.

Some of their sloganeering sounds a bit ham handed these days, even to me. But they were always pushing boundaries and causing a ruckus. Joe and Mick were incredibly prolific songwriters for a while. Nobody did punk double albums so they did and then they went one better. Sandinista is a mess but it's an audacious and mostly entertaining one. Topper Headon is a top tier drummer for me. The cat could play anything..

Family hour

Mrs. Eephus: The Changingman - Paul Weller
I asked her if she had anything to add to her selection and she asked if she can just say Paul Weller is a genius. She added it tells a powerful story of growth but it still is really funky.

I've probably offered this take before on here but I view Weller as the UK equivalent of Tom Petty. Not that he'll have a bunch of different songs in this thread but in the depth and consistency of his songbook and the high level of songwriting craft. Neither ever made a bad album in their long careers. I think Weller has been a little more experimental and definitely has better fashion sense but both Paul and TP are classicists at hear. Weller never broke in the States with any of his bands which is unfortunate but on the other hand, I'm happy to be able to see him perform at the Fillmore rather than an arena.
He is a genius. My pantheon of genius singer-songwriters is Young, Rundgren, Mould, Withers, Wonder and ... Weller.

Tomorrow!

- A Deja Vote for a song that we've seen before.
- An unexpected (to me) double-up battle on the artist I selected.
- A double-up from an artist who can't seem to finish their words.
- A triple-up from one of our Big Three
- Five (5!) votes for songs that were selected as potential Ace Award winners, with two of the artists also being doubled up. Plot twist: all of these songs have already been eliminated from contention.
- Two interrogatories, and one artist who's pissed about that.
- Three US chain restaurants, including a double-up.
- A moment of panic when I saw @landrys hat 's selection.

Ok, who's the jerk that's probably going to make me watch freakin' St. Elmo's Fire after the edibles kick in tonight?
Speaking of bad movies that are oddly entertaining.

Fixed.
DrIan has watched a squillion more movies than I have and has VERY strong opinions about them, which he reveals on Facebook periodically. He would definitely hold his own in the movie-geek threads if desired.
Only allowed if he loves PTA. We have enough haters in there as it is. ;)

Sounds like he'd fit right in with the rest of us in there who have very strong opinions about movies.

Lamb kebab's with a cucumber salad.

lamb yes ...cucumber spoils everything for me ...

I get it ...maybe just me - I've had some decent regular taziki that wasn't overwhelmed by cucumber

I love it all ...just leave the cuke out
We had gyros just yesterday. My wife always has cucumber with hers. I've tried, I've really tried. But it just tastes like cold grass to me.

Sandinista is a mess but it's an audacious and mostly entertaining one.
When I finally heard it in 2004 -- bought it in a record store in Dublin during a business trip -- it wasn't nearly the trainwreck I expected it to be. And in fact it was a clear influence on the dance-punk acts that were making waves at the time, most prominently Franz Ferdinand. There are some ridiculous things on there, but most of it holds up surprisingly well.

I hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes, but I would suggest people also try out the live version of Madness from their Rome concert album. It was a very hard song and version to leave off my list. I think somebody took it in GP4 and I've been obsessed with the song since.

HERE is the video.
Oh! I didn't even think about that version. Spotify Version for that, too.

#23s
Recognized by title alone: 24
Sounded familiar: 3
Knew from this countdown: 1
Didn't know: 16

Special shout-out to “No More Heroes” (Binky), which I wouldn’t have known without watching Season 3 of The Umbrella Academy. So it doesn’t quite fit into either of my (main) categories.

Selected Favorites:
Knights of Cydonia (MAC_32) -Is it tacky to include someone who took the same band as you in a round? Eh, it probably won’t be the last time.
Close My Eyes Forever (Mrs. Rannous) - Really, both Lita Ford selections today, but I feel like I missed out on this one more.
Mustang Sally (simsarge)
Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want (zamboni)

Some songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Dog Days Are Over (Don Quixote)
Swamp Thing (The Dreaded Marco)
Just Like Honey (Oliver Humanzee)
The Changingman (Mrs. Eephus)

I simply played one minute of My Sweet Lord and one minute of Woke Up This Morning . I posed a single question after each: do you recognize this song?
Never heard “Woke Up This Morning” until just now. Never sat through a Sopranos episode, either —caught a few in the middle, bits and pieces here and there.

So … that was The Sopranos theme song? Would’ve never guessed.

- Three US chain restaurants, including a double-up.
If someone selected that Burger King jingle, I will riot...
Not British, but it could happen

I can't vouch for the burgers especially because this was right in the middle of the UK's Mad Cow window but the song is pretty good.

I’d gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

I need a way to ONLY go to my queue for streaming options at night. Way too often I start dicking around being indecisive and end up on some horrible crap I've watched before. Tonight I actually had the thought "oooh ... Teen Wolf Too?" :oldunsure:
PUT. THE. BOWL. DOWN.
Fine. I landed on something more high falutin.

Beavis and Butthead do the Universe

I need a way to ONLY go to my queue for streaming options at night. Way too often I start dicking around being indecisive and end up on some horrible crap I've watched before. Tonight I actually had the thought "oooh ... Teen Wolf Too?" :oldunsure:
PUT. THE. BOWL. DOWN.
Fine. I landed on something more high falutin.

Beavis and Butthead do the Universe
Roller coaster!

Of love

(Say what)

Ah-woo-ooh-ooh

Users who are viewing this thread