What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

Pip’s Invitation:

Fools Gold (long version that was a bonus track on the S/T album) - The Stone Roses
(new song)

A. The editor in me REALLY wants to put an apostrophe in there. But the band and record company didn't, so I can't.

B. The other contemporary British album that I discovered when I visited my high school buddy in college was the first Stone Roses disc. And this was the last track on the CD, so it was part of the US version of the record even then (it does not appear on the first edition of the album). The whole thing captivated me, but especially Fools Gold, which blended genres -- psychedelia, funk and techno, for starters -- that I did not think it was possible to mix. The sonic blend is captivating and it unveils something new for me every time I listen to it.

I meant to mention that the absence of that apostrophe drove me a bit mad when I was putting the songs in today.
We could have an entire thread of song titles with incorrect punctuation and/or grammar.
Ain't That a Shame bothered Pat Boone so much that he covered it as Isn't That a Shame. :laugh:

Zegras11:

Rock And Roll - Led Zeppelin
(new song)

I ranked this #19 in Anarchy's Zep countdown. It did not make my friend's top 25. Some people bagged on it in the thread and I don't know why. It's a supercharged distillation of the early rock and roll that Robert Plant loves so much -- you can tell how much they enjoy it.

IV is my favorite Zep album. Rock and Roll is great song that is overshadowed by greater songs on the album, imo. Just my .02.

Unpopular opinion, but maybe I've heard it too much, or maybe it's because it's by far the least-beast (hate saying "worst") on IV, but I don't understand the love for Rock and Roll, when there are probably 75 better Zep songs.

My special shout-out today goes to @simey for choosing something from Elton's performance with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. This is my favorite Elton album to listen to, and I strongly considered taking a song from that, but for sentimental reasons I went with one that's not on that record.

Steve Hyden ranks every McCartney studio album , excluding live records and that Oratorio thing he did. He also blasts Jann Wenner several times, which is always a plus in my book.

Eephus sent me this about a week ago, and even though I strenuously object to his rankings, I thought it was well done. He's a great writer and somehow employs his armchair psychology in a fashion that's illuminating rather than irritating. Any list that doesn't have Press to Play at the bottom is immediately suspect, though, and when I got to Flaming Pie at #18 I knew we weren't going to agree on much. He omitted the Fireman records, too.
I like him, too. I first ran across him when he wrote for Grantland (RIP). He's not a contrarian-for-contrarian's-sake and always provides backup for his opinions. I don't always agree with him, either (& certainly didn't here), but he makes me look at things differently than I normally would.

Steve Hyden ranks every McCartney studio album , excluding live records and that Oratorio thing he did. He also blasts Jann Wenner several times, which is always a plus in my book.

Eephus sent me this about a week ago, and even though I strenuously object to his rankings, I thought it was well done. He's a great writer and somehow employs his armchair psychology in a fashion that's illuminating rather than irritating. Any list that doesn't have Press to Play at the bottom is immediately suspect, though, and when I got to Flaming Pie at #18 I knew we weren't going to agree on much. He omitted the Fireman records, too.
I like him, too. I first ran across him when he wrote for Grantland (RIP). He's not a contrarian-for-contrarian's-sake and always provides backup for his opinions. I don't always agree with him, either (& certainly didn't here), but he makes me look at things differently than I normally would.
Agreed -- I think Hyden is one of the few geniunely talented music writers, even though there are a lot of times I don't agree with him.

Thirteen-Point Selections:

Pip’s Invitation:

Fools Gold (long version that was a bonus track on the S/T album) - The Stone Roses
(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

10538 Overture - Electric Light Orchestra
(new song)

worrierking:

Changes - David Bowie
(new song)

titusbramble:

A Design For Life - Manic Street Preachers
(new artist)

simey:

Burn Down The Mission (live In Australia 1986) - Elton John
(new song)

Just Win Baby:

Crossroads – Cream
(new song)

Don Quixote:

Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division
(new song)

MAC_32:

Enjoy The Silence - Depeche Mode
(duplicate – second vote)

timschochet:

Starman – David Bowie

Yankee23Fan:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles
(new song)

Hawks64:

I Will Wait – Mumford & Sons
(new song)

jwb:

Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty
(duplicate – third vote)

DrIanMalcolm:

In God's Country - U2

Dr. Octopus:

More Than This - Roxy Music

KarmaPolice:

Freelance Fiend - Leaf Hound
(new artist)

shuke:

Catch The Sun - Doves
(new artist)

Manster:

Locomotive Breath - Jethro Tull

scorchy:

Dead Flowers - The Rolling Stones
(new song)

Sullie:

Der Kommissar - After The Fire
(new artist)

Andy Dufresne:

Pictures Of You - The Cure
(new song)

Mister CIA:

30 Days In The Hole - Humble Pie
(new artist)

Mrs. Rannous:

Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode

higgins:

Abacab - Genesis
(new song)

The Dreaded Marco:

Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve
(duplicate - seventh vote)

simsarge:

Ballroom Blitz – Sweet
(duplicate – third vote)

Mt. Man:

Eyes Without A Face - Billy Idol
(new song)

landrys hat:

She's A Rainbow - The Rolling Stones
(duplicate - second vote)

Westerberg:

Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis

Eephus:

Fox On The Run – Sweet

rockaction:

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
(new song)

falguy:

Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
(new song)

Hov34:

Your Love – The Outfield

zamboni:

If I Needed Someone - The Beatles
(new song)

Doug B:

Let It Bleed - The Rolling Stones
(new song)

Ilov80s:

Shadowplay - Joy Division
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Would I Lie To You - The Eurythmics

Chaos34:

Go! - Tones on Tail
(new artist)

Chaz McNulty:

I Melt With You - Modern English

Zegras11:

Rock And Roll - Led Zeppelin
(new song)

AAABatteries:

Father And Son - Cat Stevens

Oliver Humanzee:

Cherry Red - The Groundhogs
(new artist)

Mrs. Eephus:

One In Ten - UB40
(new artist)

ditkaburgers:

Don't Start Now - Dua Lipa
(new artist)

cosjobs:

All The Young Dudes - Mott the Hoople
(duplicate – third vote)

krista4:

How We Operate – Gomez
(new song)
13 Pointers playlist!

Known-to-me favorites from #19:

VERY strong round today. I knew almost everything (and love most of it) and am extremely impressed by a few of the new-to-me songs I've gotten to so far.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps -- The Beatles (Yankee23Fan)
Wish You Were Here -- Pink Floyd (Rockaction)
Love Will Tear Us Apart -- Joy Division (Don Quixote)
If I Needed Someone -- The Beatles (Zamboni)
Bitter Sweet Symphony -- The Verve (Marco)
Fox on the Run -- Sweet (Eephus). More dividends from the Sweet compilation that was played in the Eephus household in the '90s.
Abacab -- Genesis (Higgins)
Burn Down the Mission (live) -- Elton John (Simey)
Whole Lotta Love -- Led Zeppelin (Falguy)
Rock and Roll -- Led Zeppelin (Zegras11)
10538 Overture -- Electric Light Orchestra (Binky)
30 Days in the Hole -- Humble Pie (Mister CIA)
Personal Jesus -- Depeche Mode (Mrs. Rannous)
Locomotive Breath -- Jethro Tull (Manster)
Enjoy the Silence -- Depeche Mode (MAC 32)
Don't Look Back in Anger -- Oasis (Westerberg)
Crossroads -- Cream (Just Win Baby)
Baker Street -- Gerry Rafferty (jwb)
Ballroom Blitz -- Sweet (Simsarge)
More Than This -- Roxy Music (Doc Oc)

Unpopular opinion, but maybe I've heard it too much, or maybe it's because it's by far the least-beast (hate saying "worst") on IV, but I don't understand the love for Rock and Roll, when there are probably 75 better Zep songs.
Why do people like PSSOM when literally every other Def Leppard song is better?

Yes... :deadhorse:
I got so tired of it that I started using Equal in my coffee.

I don't dislike the song, but I didn't have it (and a few other popular ones) on my Top 25 favorite Led Zep songs list, and someone in the thread implied that I didn't really listen to Led Zeppelin, and I was just there for a participation award. :<_<:

I didn’t rank it but if I had gone all the way out to 75 it would t have been that low. Maybe I’m the 35-40 range.

My special shout-out today goes to @simey for choosing something from Elton's performance with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. This is my favorite Elton album to listen to, and I strongly considered taking a song from that, but for sentimental reasons I went with one that's not on that record.
I love that album also. I had about 7 Elton songs I was choosing from including I need you to turn to from this album. It's a beautiful short song that's not so well-known. I wish it were a minute longer.

I love that album also. I had about 7 Elton songs I was choosing from including I need you to turn to from this album. It's a beautiful short song that's not so well-known. I wish it were a minute longer.

That's one of my favorites on there, too. I also particularly love "Tonight."

(Neither of these was taken, so not stealing anyone's thunder.)

Finally got a little time to do some listening - favorites from this round.

10538 Overture - Electric Light Orchestra - great early ELO (like Pip said, 1st song, 1st album)
A Design For Life - Manic Street Preachers - new to me. I like the vocals a lot.
Enjoy The Silence - Depeche Mode - I'm always surprised when I see this was released in 89 - sounds much earlier.
Starman – David Bowie - Probably my favorite Bowie, although changes sometimes (ha!)
Freelance Fiend - Leaf Hound - new to me and man do I love this. Great song.
Catch The Sun - Doves - new also - good driving song.
30 Days In The Hole - Humble Pie - like Tim said, fantastic song.
Abacab - Genesis - Favorite Genesis song
Don't Start Now - Dua Lipa - this was really catchy. Something about it.

and more and more Sweet! (plus Little Willy the other day)

Suffice to say I like all the Beatles, Stones, Zep, and Floyd picked. Happy to see She's a Rainbow get some love in this draft.

I don't dislike the song, but I didn't have it (and a few other popular ones) on my Top 25 favorite Led Zep songs list, and someone in the thread implied that I didn't really listen to Led Zeppelin, and I was just there for a participation award. :<_<:

It didn't make mine either. It's an ok song but I've heard it way too many times. Same with the song that kicks off that album - usually an instant skip/station change.

Saturday gigs

Mrs. Eephus: One In Ten - UB40
UB40 is best known as a covers act but they started their career with some politically charged original compositions. This song is about the unemployed in Birmingham who'd been left behind by Thatcher's Britain. Ali Campbell's faux patois sometimes borders on cultural appropriation but that's not an issue on this song. He has one of those voices that can make Mrs. Eephus cry.

@ditkaburgers: Don't Start Now - Dua Lipa
I've barely seen her this weekend so I didn't get a chance to get her input about this selection. But dang, it's a banger--one of my favorites of the newer songs in her 31 song playlist. The slapping bassline and splashes of strings remind me a bit of Chic and the drop is sweet.

Eephus: Fox On The Run – Sweet
I'm happy to see Sweet getting so much love early in the countdown. I doubt creating sometime timeless was the original intent of the band, Chapman and Chinn but their songs still sound fresh a half century later.

New-to-me favorites from #19:

Catch the Sun -- Doves (Shuke). A-plus melody, especially on the chorus, mixing the best aspects of power pop and alt-rock. Reminds me of some of the best material of Teenage Fanclub and Sloan. This is now my highest-ranking new-to-me song.
Freelance Fiend -- Leaf Hound (KarmaPolice). Holy cowbell! This is basically the British Blue Cheer, emerging at the point psychedelia was declining and heavy metal was emerging, and embracing both. The band history on Wiki is a hell of a thing -- during their original run, they only made one album (Growers of Mushroom -- drugs much?), which became a valued collectors item.
Cherry Red -- The Groundhogs (OH; of course one of the few tracks I didn't know today was from OH). Impeccable early '70s blooze-rock. The instrumental breakdowns that start around 1:30 and around 3:30 are spectacular.
How We Operate -- Gomez (Krista4). Hear me out -- there's some Eddie Vedder in this vocal. The inflections and timbre are similar at times, and it's very easy to picture Eddie singing this. It takes more than a minute to capture my interest, and then it really takes off around 1:45 with the "turn me inside out and upside down" part -- which, unsurprisingly for a Krista selection, has some Beatle-isms in it.

No awards will be granted for participation in this thread, in case that's why any of you are here.
Well, being a Gen X'er, I don't believe in participation trophy's anyway.

Stop this nonsense. I'm 49, and we all received trophies in every sport we played growing up.
Really? Im trying to think of one that I got growing up. The only thing I can remember is we got certificates saying we participated in a certain sport.....not the same as a trophy.....I mean i get that the participation trophy thing probly started in our generation, but I don't remember it so much out in the sticks of Eastern Oregon....course we were probly 10 years behind anyway.

An aside, my son's youth football team went undefeated this season.....they had some really close ones too. they didn't just blow teams out. The coaches got the kids trophies that said undefeated, 8-0. They also said they didn't believe in participation trophies. They also took time to say something about each kid during the trophy presentation at they pizza party. It was pretty cool.

No awards will be granted for participation in this thread, in case that's why any of you are here.

Stop this nonsense. I'm 49, and we all received trophies in every sport we played growing up.
Really? Im trying to think of one that I got growing up. The only thing I can remember is we got certificates saying we participated in a certain sport.....not the same as a trophy.....I mean i get that the participation trophy thing probly started in our generation, but I don't remember it so much out in the sticks of Eastern Oregon....course we were probly 10 years behind anyway.

An aside, my son's youth football team went undefeated this season.....they had some really close ones too. they didn't just blow teams out. The coaches got the kids trophies that said undefeated, 8-0. They also said they didn't believe in participation trophies. They also took time to say something about each kid during the trophy presentation at they pizza party. It was pretty cool.

Shuke is right - I had a couple boxes full of old trophies and plagues I got playing sports growing up. And I totally get it was a joke but while we are on the topic - what’s wrong with acknowledging or rewarding participation? It encourages kids to keep with it. Too much emphasis is placed on championships and winning and I totally don’t just say that as a Falcons fan.

Why do people like PSSOM when literally every other Def Leppard song is better?

Yes... :deadhorse:
It's gotta be the strip club use.

lol - yeah, I told a story here a while back about "Twilight Zone" and how the girls played it many times an hour.

I can't hear that song without picturing that place and buddy that has since passed away :sadbanana:

Mrs. Eephus still has an old bowling trophy she got in school. I didn't know her then but I've seen her bowl since and there's no way she won it based on talent.

Mrs. Eephus still has an old bowling trophy she got in school. I didn't know her then but I've seen her bowl since and there's no way she won it based on talent
This reminds me of the butler Hobson, from the movie Arthur: "Thank you for a memorable afternoon, usually one must go to a bowling alley to meet a woman of your stature."

i'm 64, and I have never received a participation trophy. I played a lot of baseball, football, basketball and golf.

It was 1st place for any kind of trophy that you'd want to really "show" and occasionally 2nd or mayyyyyyybe 3rd place.

no win ...no soup for you.

I do remember kids that were in swimming at the local pool - got a ton of crappy ribbons though. I didn't hang out at the pool - I am basically albino that happened to received the gift of colored hair and eyebrows.

Users who are viewing this thread