What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gregg Williams "Remember Me" (1 Viewer)

Pnishthm

Footballguy
Gregg Williams, "Remember Me"

By: Brian Milici

January 14, 2012

It has been an exciting week of football in many respects. Championships were crowned in one fashion or another. The Alabama Crimson Tide looked every part of the best team ever in college football after dismantling LSU 21-0 in the Superdome. The only problem was they were not vying for that title, LSU was. Nick Saban was consumed by his earlier season defeat to Les Miles and came out throwing. He broke tendencies.

His team won and did so going away in a manner few could envision happening yet it did just the same.

Then there was the title that the Saints were hot in pursuit of which was another NFC Championship banner to hang in the Superdome. First, they had to travel to San Francisco the scene of many exciting battles between these old NFC West divisional rivals. The 49ers were riding the wave of a dominant defense, outstanding special teams, and a steady offense.

San Francisco had a steady run game, and a quarterback that while he didn't make big plays he more importantly did not create big plays for the opposition.

This was the same recipe LSU followed to such an exciting undefeated season.

The same recipe that failed them against Saban in the Superdome.

Now, the Saints and 49ers only met in the pre-season, but it too was shrouded by controversy. At least as much as an exhibition game can create. There were rumors new 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh slighted Sean Payton of the Saints by not calling ahead and discussing the game.

Saints radio play-by-play man Jim Henderson reported that Payton told embattled defensive coordinator Gregg Williams to let the dogs out and blitz Alex Smith repeatedly. Smith was a quarterback at a crossroads never having lived up to his first overall selection draft status and he seemed a deer in the headlights that night. The 49ers complained openly about the blitzing after the game while the Saints dismissed their commentary as sour grapes.

There were a lot of things going on today.

You could discuss Drew Brees' record pass attempts in the post-season, the fact that the Saints played without Pierre Thomas after a devastating first quarter hit that left him defenseless and knocked out and perhaps was the harbinger of the way the game would go. One big hit on the Saints after the other. We could focus on the phenomenal job the defense did in limiting the 49ers to only 17 points when the Saints had turned it over 5 times.

Yet none of those things stand out. We've seen this script before.

The offense struggles early and the defense hangs in there when the game becomes close and the offense takes a lead the defense just needs to seal it.

Well, it's been hard to do.

We saw it earlier this season against the Titans as Jake Locker nearly completed an amazing comeback victory directing a near weaponless offense.

Tonight it was Alex Smith first confounding the Saints defense with his legs for a score, but moreso the decision to play man coverage on tight end Vernon Davis who was the sole passing threat the 49ers possessed.

The Saints corners were too much for Williams, Ginn, and Crabtree. Porter, Greer, and Robinson routinely shut down the opposing wide receivers yet we saw time after time Gregg match up safeties on Davis in man coverage.

Why?

Gregg has been enamored with Roman Harper and Malcolm Jenkins from the outset and they are the main cogs of his defense. They were also the main antagonists that brought about talk of dirty hits by Saints defenders and gave the defense the moniker of a cheap shot club. They played with an edge, but they rarely played physical in the manner that San Francisco exhibited today.

Within the confines of the rules we saw San Francisco man up and pummel the Saints offense from the front line on back. This has been missing from the Saints defense for Gregg's entire tenure here except that magical post-season run in 2009.

At the end of the day, the Saints marched down the field and scored to put them ahead of a bad offensive Seattle football team.

Gregg's defense was immortalized by Pete Carroll's Seahawks team that beat them despite posting a losing record on the backs of Marshawn Lynch's dominating run through, around, and over his entire Saint defense.

The very next year the Saints offense comes alive for two scintillating touchdowns to Sproles and then Jimmy Graham that would have been killshots against most teams especially on such a very good and physical defense as San Francisco boasts.

However, Alex Smith trotted onto the field and saw man coverage on Vernon Davis and he knew he was in for a good time. Few can cover such an athlete, and none wearing black and gold did tonight.

Davis had an eye-popping 7 catches for 180 yards and 2 touchdowns including the game-winner with less than ten seconds left on the clock.

The 49ers wide receiver corps? Well, they combined for 7 catches for 48 yards and no scores.

What were Jabari Greer and Tracy Porter doing at the end? Where was superb athlete Patrick Robinson?

Were they really manning up on Kyle Williams and Michael Crabtree?

Was that the best allocation of your defensive assets at that critical juncture of the game?

Gregg Williams shocked many of us with his intriguing method of putting two defenders on Detroit's Calvin Johnson during the regular season. He limited Calvin to a subpar game and the Lions lost because their other players could not step up.

It is a damn shame he did not employ a similar mindset and tactic here because if he had the Saints are advancing into the post-season.

Meanwhile, there are no bigger fans of Gregg Williams than the staff of the Green Bay Packers.

For the second straight year a former PAC-10 coach enters the NFL and outwits Gregg Williams' defense and sends the Saints to an early playoff exit.

Oddly enough, Alabama had trouble defending the option of the LSU Tigers in their first game, but Tide defensive coordinator Kirby Smart credited Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams with helping them devise a gameplan to stop LSU's option.

What was he doing helping a college team do anything?

There have been recent reports that Gregg would join his former friend and head coach Jeff Fisher in St. Louis once his contract expires after this season here in New Orleans. Why would this be the case if things hadn't soured significantly between he and Sean Payton?

Famously, Payton complained openly as he was mic'd up for the Super Bowl as Colts tight end Dallas Clark beat Saints defenders time after time for big catches at critical moments. Payton's main point of emphasis was that it is a sin to let their best player beat you.

Anyone watching today knows that was very much the case as Davis was just that for San Francisco -- so much so that a novena might be in order on behalf of one Williams, Gregg.

There will be few Saints fans who remember Tracy Porter's pick six of Peyton Manning as a lasting legacy of Gregg Williams' defensive genius, but rather the Mike Martz of defense routinely ignoring down, distance, time remaining and placement in the game, as well as proper coverage responsibilities given that in favor of the blitz.

His legacy is a few loudmouth radio comments, a couple of safeties who talk a big game and don't deliver come the post-season, and when the game is on the line he will put his defense in position to make a big play -- sadly more often for the opponent's offense than his own defense.

Goodbye, Gregg Williams.

I wish I could say we hardly knew you, but sadly we cannot.

Those "remember me" hits you bragged about will be your lasting New Orleans legacy.

Sadly they were parting shots as your defense ushered the team a quick exit in consecutive seasons to two former PAC-10 coaches with average at best offenses you made look far better than they really were or are.

Typical Saints fan. Fire Greg Williams, that would be stupid. The man does take chances..yeah, the same chances that won NO A superbowl. The guy makes the Saints defense better, with average players. Why not fire the head coach for allowing the Saints to draft ANOTHER RB..... when he could have drafted defense? You think the Saints could have traded A rb for D help this year? The Saints D has to take chances. It didn't work out this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Typical Saints fan. Fire Greg Williams, that would be stupid. The man does take chances..yeah, the same chances that won NO A superbowl. The guy makes the Saints defense better, with average players. Why not fire the head coach for allowing the Saints to draft ANOTHER RB..... when he could have drafted defense? You think the Saints could have traded A rb for D help this year? The Saints D has to take chances. It didn't work out this time.
Actually, williams contract has expired and his rumored to be following Fisher to the Ramshttp://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/13/peter-king-gregg-williams-expected-to-join-fisher/http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/01/coordinator_williams_focused_o.html

This loss is not on the defense. The Saints offense couldn't stay on the field and sustain drives and the defense stayed out there and wore down. Imagine if all the times that the saints offense or special teams gave up the ball if the Saints defense had let them come away with 7 points instead of 3 points. Who ever wrote this is an idiot.

Saints lost that game because of turnovers, and the stellar play of the SF defense. That writer is severely underrating the 49ers, as well. One of those teams was the higher seed, and had a playoff bye. It wasn't the Saints.

Williams is gone...on that last drive going man on every play and leaving Davis in one on one coverage was just ridiculous. In the end though the Saints deserved to lose - they did everything possible to hand the game to the Niners and they finally did. 5 turnovers, 2 on special teams, is just unacceptable.

Per Schefter Spagnuolo is an option to replace him...that would be a good move.

The defense played huge. That loss was not on the defense. The handful of big plays by the SF offense were spectacularly thrown balls that were defended quite well. As much as the defense was forced to be on it's heels all day I have no problem with how they played.

You can't turn the ball over 5 times (especially in the playoffs) and expect to win. The Saints outcoached, and outplayed the niners on offense and defense. I'd trade that for reversing the scoreboard though.

The fumbled kickoff in the second half was the biggest play of the game, setting up the niners at the 20 after they had just scored. The Saints D, that had barely had time to sit down was forced to put the helmets back on and get back out there. Very easy to get demoralized at that point, but the Saints D held them to a field goal.

The niner fans should enjoy this, because they're not going to be the beneficiary of 5 turnovers when they play the Packers. Get ready to be "Tebowed" if you're a niners fan.

This loss is not on the defense. The Saints offense couldn't stay on the field and sustain drives and the defense stayed out there and wore down. Imagine if all the times that the saints offense or special teams gave up the ball if the Saints defense had let them come away with 7 points instead of 3 points. Who ever wrote this is an idiot.
This article is dead on. How can you not see this? Saints go zone the first two plays of that drive and all Smith can do is dump the ball off to Gore twice. Smith also seems to take forever between both plays letting a lot clock run. The very nexy play we blitz and could have gotten burned deep for a TD had the throw been accurate. So the very nexy play we decide that putting a safety one on one with Vernon Davis (which had burned the Saints the series before doing the exact same thing)? There's not a safety in the league that can cover Davis one on one. All they had to do was sit back in a zone and make Alex Smith try and fit the ball into tight spaces which he hadn't done the entire game. The second that ball was snapped and I saw us blitz again I lowered my head. The Saints defense played a terrific game for three and a half quarters but were put in a position to fail TWICE once the Saints got the lead. Were they really that concerned about Crabtree or Ginn Jr. that they had to leave M. Jenkins a safety on V. Davis with no help? Yes Greg Williams did help lead the Saints to a Super Bowl win and yes I am grateful for that. But I think many Saints fans are blinded by that and can't see the real picture. There's a reason fans from other teams that Williams has coached are happy he is no longer there. I'd like to hear from some Skins fans and Bills fans and get thier take...

This article is dead on. How can you not see this? Saints go zone the first two plays of that drive and all Smith can do is dump the ball off to Gore twice. Smith also seems to take forever between both plays letting a lot clock run. The very nexy play we blitz and could have gotten burned deep for a TD had the throw been accurate. So the very nexy play we decide that putting a safety one on one with Vernon Davis (which had burned the Saints the series before doing the exact same thing)? There's not a safety in the league that can cover Davis one on one. All they had to do was sit back in a zone and make Alex Smith try and fit the ball into tight spaces which he hadn't done the entire game. The second that ball was snapped and I saw us blitz again I lowered my head. The Saints defense played a terrific game for three and a half quarters but were put in a position to fail TWICE once the Saints got the lead. Were they really that concerned about Crabtree or Ginn Jr. that they had to leave M. Jenkins a safety on V. Davis with no help? Yes Greg Williams did help lead the Saints to a Super Bowl win and yes I am grateful for that. But I think many Saints fans are blinded by that and can't see the real picture. There's a reason fans from other teams that Williams has coached are happy he is no longer there. I'd like to hear from some Skins fans and Bills fans and get thier take...
Blitzing a ton is what got you there, so to speak. That's Gregg Williams. And sometimes you die by the blitz. Your hindsight is 20/20, that's for sure. There's not a safety in the league that can cover Davis?? When did he get so invincible? I don't recall hearing before the game that the Saints had to double cover Davis if they wanted a chance to win the game. No, it was all about the 49ers being able to keep up with the Saints offense. The team had how many turnovers? That's your culprit. Big Vernon Davis game aside, the Saints only turn it over 3 or even 4 times, and they win the game.

Saints lost that game because of turnovers, and the stellar play of the SF defense. That writer is severely underrating the 49ers, as well. One of those teams was the higher seed, and had a playoff bye. It wasn't the Saints.
I'm not sure I'd use the word "steller". They did gaive up 32 points. This is not a disrespect to the 49ers because they played a terrific game and no doubt deserved to win and they earned that win, but I don't think the writer is underrating anyone here. The 49ers were at home, were up 17-0 and won the turnover battle 5-1 and it took two horrible defensive calls leaving Davis one on one with a safety when ahead in the final 4 minutes for them to squeek out a win not once but TWICE! The writer and myself included feel the coaching staff (defensive) did not put the Saints anywhere near in position to win that game at the end. Now all the credit in the world to Alex Smith and the 49ers for recognizing this and making the play. He made some terrific throws when he had to. Do any 9er fans feel Smith could have made those plays if the Saints sit in a zone and makes him make tight throws 15 yards down the field? BEST case is that he completes a few and they line up for a 50 yard FG for overtime?Again, I am not trying to bash the 9ers at all. All that matters in the end is who has more pts on the scoreboard and they made the plays to be able to do just that. It was one of the best football games I have ever seen and best of luck to SF next week!

Blitzing a ton is what got you there, so to speak. That's Gregg Williams. And sometimes you die by the blitz. Your hindsight is 20/20, that's for sure. There's not a safety in the league that can cover Davis?? When did he get so invincible? I don't recall hearing before the game that the Saints had to double cover Davis if they wanted a chance to win the game. No, it was all about the 49ers being able to keep up with the Saints offense. The team had how many turnovers? That's your culprit. Big Vernon Davis game aside, the Saints only turn it over 3 or even 4 times, and they win the game.
My forsight was 20/20. As soon as the 9ers got the ball at the end (thier last two possesions) I said that all the Saints had to do was sit in a zone and no way they lose this game. Just don't get cute and leave them in one on one coverage and give up a big play. It wasn't hindsight...

I'm quite certain that at some point this season Gruden said Davis was the best the TE in the league.

Williams is gone and needs to be gone. So tired of watching the safeties overmatched when he refuses to double cover anybody because he has to bring a 3-man blitz every single down. Over it.

This article is incoherent, though.

Last edited:
Turnovers were more to blame IMO.

But Williams has always lived by the blitz and lost by the blitz. He had some good defenses in Buffalo, but they also gave up a ton of big plays. That's what you get with him all game long no matter what the situation is.

Turnovers were more to blame IMO. But Williams has always lived by the blitz and lost by the blitz. He had some good defenses in Buffalo, but they also gave up a ton of big plays. That's what you get with him all game long no matter what the situation is.
Thanks Grove and I agree with this. This will ultimately be his downfall...not being able to adjust pending on the situation.

Williams is gone and needs to be gone. So tired of watching the safeties overmatched when he refuses to double cover anybody because he has to bring a 3-man blitz every single down. Over it.This article is incoherent, though.
:hifive: Sucks when you talk a lot of trash and then your guys can't back it up huh?

A couple sources already reporting that Gregg is on his way out and heading to St. Louis.

Bring on Spags.

I thought Spags was interviewing with Philly? Williams is a good coach and we would not have won in 2009 without the takeaways. Bottom Line is that there just isn't much talent on our defense. I saw at least 2 dropped interceptions yesterday. Our LB's are very weak IMO. Line is okay. CB's are okay considering they are always left on an island. Jenkins is a major bust.

nopeNew orleans has the ball for 32 min to SF's 28

NO had more first downs.

'Sam Quentin said:

NO had more first downs.
The Saints' defense undoubtedly was the reason the game remained close while their offense struggled. People forget because of all Alex Smith's heroics at the end of the game, but the Niners pretty much did squat on offense for the second, third and most of the 4th quarter.The problem for the Saints D is that they fell apart at the end because of bad planning and management. There is no excuse for having Jenkins singled up on Vernon Davis when there are 5 or 6 DB's on the field and the 49ers wideouts have been shut down all game long. That goes on the coordinator, IMO.

There are plenty of Saints fans who will be happy to see Williams go. His style is outdated and obsolete in today's NFL because any QB worth a crap nowadays can make a hot read and beat the blitz.

'Sam Quentin said:

NO had more first downs.
The Saints' defense undoubtedly was the reason the game remained close while their offense struggled. People forget because of all Alex Smith's heroics at the end of the game, but the Niners pretty much did squat on offense for the second, third and most of the 4th quarter.The problem for the Saints D is that they fell apart at the end because of bad planning and management. There is no excuse for having Jenkins singled up on Vernon Davis when there are 5 or 6 DB's on the field and the 49ers wideouts have been shut down all game long. That goes on the coordinator, IMO.

There are plenty of Saints fans who will be happy to see Williams go. His style is outdated and obsolete in today's NFL because any QB worth a crap nowadays can make a hot read and beat the blitz.
:goodposting: This is dead on! I wondered all season too, did he even try and disguise the blitz? It seemed like he'd line em up at the LOS way early and send em. The QBs had plenty of time to adjust and make the hot read.

The system is set up to make Roman Harper look great and get big numbers but he's actually not very good and very slow.

Play calling has been brutal forever on the D side of the Saints ball.

Saturday's loss is on the defense. Their offence gave them two chances to seal the deal and they couldn't.

Users who are viewing this thread