What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hello group....my name is Opie... (3 Viewers)

The MSM has been harping on how President Trump LOST OVER A BILLION DOLLARS......over 10 years....20 years ago.

This is actually considered "newsworthy"....even though everyone knew of his financial troubles....then
They usually fail to mention that he wrote a book entitled, "The Art of the Comeback", owning the fact that he lost money.

Take a look at this video.
Keep in mind, that many of the people in this video are "respected members of the MSM" and that they are reporting, what they call, "NEWS".

Just look at how they, SO UNBIASEDLY,  report this..."news" and tell me that they don't have an agenda.

Last edited by a moderator:
This month, the MSM has been harping on how President Trump LOST OVER A BILLION DOLLARS......over 10 years....20 years ago.

This is actually considered "newsworthy"....even though everyone knew of his financial troubles....then
They usually fail to mention that he wrote a book entitled, "The Art of the Comeback", owning the fact that he lost money.

Take a look at this video.
Keep in mind, that many of the people in this video are "respected members of the MSM" and that they are reporting, what they call, "NEWS".

Just look at how they, SO UNBIASEDLY,  report this..."news" and tell me that they don't have an agenda.
So, true.

The level of bias and contempt for people that lean right in most media outlets is no longer obscured, hidden behind at least a veneer of objectivity. The liberal media monopoly, thankfully, has also ended, so that the viewer and/or reader no has options. 

Vote with your remote and with your computer key strokes.

The media has been very tough on Trump and he’s been very tough on them. However, it’s a mutualistic relationship where both sides have benefitted. The media gets great ratings when they cover Trump and Trump gets the attention he loves. The media gave Trump more free media attention that most Presidential candidates in history bought. The media legitimized him and kept him on the front minds of voters. 

In the end, it’s a reflection of us as a country. We love him or hate him but are obsessed with him either way. We are a Nation obsessed with entertainment so it was only a matter of time that we chose political entertainment over genuine leadership and good government. 

So, true.

The level of bias and contempt for people that lean right in most media outlets is no longer obscured, hidden behind at least a veneer of objectivity. 
I continue to strongly disagree with this.

President Trump lies on a continual basis, unlike any President or major politician in the last 70 years (since Joe McCarthy, whom Trump resembles not a little.) The media, as is their responsibility, corrects those lies. Many other Republicans come on news programs and defend Trump’s lies and in so doing tell lies of their own. These are also explained, and the result is that many conservatives believe that the media is being unfair to conservatives. But that’s the exact opposite of the truth. 

Your advice that people who agree with you should reject the mainstream media in favor of sources who will confirm your opinion won’t help solve anything. It will only move you further away from reality. 

President Trump lies on a continual basis, unlike any President or major politician in the last 70 years (since Joe McCarthy, whom Trump resembles not a little.) The media, as is their responsibility, corrects those lies. Many other Republicans come on news programs and defend Trump’s lies and in so doing tell lies of their own. These are also explained, and the result is that many conservatives believe that the media is being unfair to conservatives. But that’s the exact opposite of the truth. 

Your advice that people who agree with you should reject the mainstream media in favor of sources who will confirm your opinion won’t help solve anything. It will only move you further away from reality. 
Our society is so conditioned to showing contempt to people on the right, that people on the left have come be believe it is fair and are completely oblivious to it.   The media is biased left, our universities are biased left, this forum is biased left.   It is not just Trump, there is a significant bias in our major institutons and it flows down into many parts of our society.  

Our society is so conditioned to showing contempt to people on the right, that people on the left have come be believe it is fair and are completely oblivious to it.   The media is biased left, our universities are biased left, this forum is biased left.   It is not just Trump, there is a significant bias in our major institutons and it flows down into many parts of our society.  
Yes I’m aware that this is your POV. I think it’s self serving and wrong. 

To your first link, that study is considered flawed by many. In fact there is no consensus on this issue: 

https://academic.oup.com/joc/article-abstract/50/4/133/4110147?redirectedFrom=fulltext

To your second link there is no doubt that most conservatives believe the media is biased against them. This belief is not only false, it is the main reason for our current state of division, IMO. 

To your first link, that study is considered flawed by many. In fact there is no consensus on this issue: 

https://academic.oup.com/joc/article-abstract/50/4/133/4110147?redirectedFrom=fulltext

To your second link there is no doubt that most conservatives believe the media is biased against them. This belief is not only false, it is the main reason for our current state of division, IMO. 
The belief is true and a reason for the current state of division. 

So, you now claim this is the main reason for the division in the country and not Trump based on your previous posts since he was elected. Not the things you claim all the time about him being a racist, bigot, etc etc?  Ok Tim. 

The belief is true and a reason for the current state of division. 

So, you now claim this is the main reason for the division in the country and not Trump based on your previous posts since he was elected. Not the things you claim all the time about him being a racist, bigot, etc etc?  Ok Tim. 
I never wrote that Trump is the main problem. IMO, he is a symptom- not he himself, I still don’t believe that most of his views are representative of those that voted for him or those that continue to support him: he is a bigot, most of them aren’t. But their support of him is problematic, based on the tribalistic nature of our current situation. 

I never wrote that Trump is the main problem. IMO, he is a symptom- not he himself, I still don’t believe that most of his views are representative of those that voted for him or those that continue to support him: he is a bigot, most of them aren’t. But their support of him is problematic, based on the tribalistic nature of our current situation. 
So, you believe there is no liberal bias or MSM bias and the main reason this country is divided is because conservatives believe there is?  

The media is biased left, our universities are biased left, this forum is biased left.   It is not just Trump, there is a significant bias in our major institutons
Joe and David will be so pleased to know the forum portion of their company is a major institution!  Congrats guys.  

I absolutely believe there is anti-Trump bias in the MSM, but I wouldn’t necessarily equate that with liberal or anti-conservative bias. In large part, Trump does not embrace true conservative principles, and what he is criticized for often has little if anything to do with conservatism.

I absolutely believe there is anti-Trump bias in the MSM, but I wouldn’t necessarily equate that with liberal or anti-conservative bias. In large part, Trump does not embrace true conservative principles, and what he is criticized for often has little if anything to do with conservatism.
Media bias is a strange animal. I used to think that it was mostly because it was a very diverse group of employees from varying walks of life and so it would be more progressive/liberal. But that simply isn't true. It is a profession slanted heavily to white males. I found that interesting. 

Interesting to note that it was near 50/50 self identification in the 70s where now it’s 50% independent with moderate to left of center views. Have the reporters changed or has what’s considered right and left changed? I would argue the latter a bit. With little resistance from GOP Congress and the signature and endorsement of Nixon, the Clean Air Act was passed in 1970. Nixon spearheaded the creation of the EPA. Nixon as VP under Eisenhower actually worked quite a bit on civil rights Ike the Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act and later to firmly end segregation in schools. Reagan and a GOP majority Senate passed immigration reform that legalized most of illegal immigrants in the country.  

Being a conservative in the 70s, 80s and 90s isn’t necessarily the same as being a conservative today. The political fulcrum is always shifting.

Oh I wouldn’t go that far. You simply ignore the clues all around you. But you’ve got them. 
You are in the 20 percent of FBG's who are oblivious to it.   Which is probably makes up about 80 percent of the PSF.  Moderates and conservatives overwhemingly see it, and even some liberals.  

You are in the 20 percent of FBG's who are oblivious to it.   Which is probably makes up about 80 percent of the PSF.  Moderates and conservatives overwhemingly see it, and even some liberals.  
I’m not oblivious. I understand your argument fully. I’ve seen the same stuff you have, watched the same shows. My opinion is different from yours. 

And why bother with percentages? So 80% of those reading this agree with you? I doubt it but who cares anyhow? If it makes you feel better, make it 99.999% of people reading this agree with you. Make me the lone dissenter if you want. Do you think that adds to your credibility? 

I’m not oblivious. I understand your argument fully. I’ve seen the same stuff you have, watched the same shows. My opinion is different from yours. 

And why bother with percentages? So 80% of those reading this agree with you? I doubt it but who cares anyhow? If it makes you feel better, make it 99.999% of people reading this agree with you. Make me the lone dissenter if you want. Do you think that adds to your credibility? 
Got your back

This phenomenon predates Trump. Straight up- any elected leader who lies should be called out.

Problem is- Obama lied as well ("If you like your health care plan, you can keep it" / ISIS is a jayvee squad) and there was no scrutiny.

A free press is predicated on active questioning of all leaders, irrespective of political alignment. When the press omits undesirable truths, it;s a problem.

The mainstream media has failed and thus should be called out.

There is a reasonable expectation of some fairness. When that is jettisoned, most people see it, and since we have options, move on to another outlet. 

This phenomenon predates Trump. Straight up- any elected leader who lies should be called out.

Problem is- Obama lied as well ("If you like your health care plan, you can keep it" / ISIS is a jayvee squad) and there was no scrutiny.

A free press is predicated on active questioning of all leaders, irrespective of political alignment. When the press omits undesirable truths, it;s a problem.

The mainstream media has failed and thus should be called out.

There is a reasonable expectation of some fairness. When that is jettisoned, most people see it, and since we have options, move on to another outlet. 
To claim there was no scrutiny on Obama is laughably incorrect.  To try to compare the amount of lies would also be laughable.

Both of those statements turned out to be wrong (the first one arguably.) But they weren’t deliberate lies. 

That being said, I’m sure Obama did tell some deliberate lies. Every President does, some worse than others. But any reasonable person would have to concede that Trump is completely different from anyone before him in this regard. 

To claim there was no scrutiny on Obama is laughably incorrect.  To try to compare the amount of lies would also be laughable.
Obama got the biggest free pass in the history of the presidency. 

Treated with kid gloves from even before he was elected. 

If you don’t think that, which you certainly are entitled to, there is nothing I or anyone else can say to change your mind.

Obama got the biggest free pass in the history of the presidency. 

Treated with kid gloves from even before he was elected. 

If you don’t think that, which you certainly are entitled to, there is nothing I or anyone else can say to change your mind.
True. There isn’t much you can say that will sway me from the reality of how he was actually treated.

Both of those statements turned out to be wrong (the first one arguably.) But they weren’t deliberate lies. 

That being said, I’m sure Obama did tell some deliberate lies. Every President does, some worse than others. But any reasonable person would have to concede that Trump is completely different from anyone before him in this regard. 
Make no mistake- he did.

The issue is the press seldom called him out on it.

Obama in the MSM was treated very well. Right leaning media was excessively brutal. Bush got good treatment until things went sideways in the economy and Iraq, then he got crushed. Though it seems every the GOP now acknowledges he wasn’t a good President. 

Beyond that, it’s hard to make many more comparisons since the media has evolved so much and Trump behaves so different from previous Presidents.

This.  

He’s an extremely polarizing and divisive person, and was long before he became POTUS.  It’s hardly surprising he’s polarized this political environment even more then it already was.  

Right, it’s just who Trump is. He thrives on conflict and drama and the kind of antics that make for great reality TV.

If 80 percent of people see it, it means most viewers see the views that are presented by the media as slanted in most cases further to the left than their views.   I am not sure how you don't understand that is conclusive proof that the media is slanted.  That is the very definition of what it means by being biased.  

He did not. It’s not even close. This shows a basic lack of understanding of the history of the office and the coverage from the media. 
Maybe not from Talk Radio and Fox News.   Hollywood, the MSM, and network TV adored Obama.   The only reason Obama had it tougher than before was the advancement of social media where ordinary people could express their anger towards him.  

Oh...and "bias" is absolutely going to lean left when the GOP is basically sprinting to the right faster than Hillary and her purse hot sauce on the way to BWW!!

L<----------x---------->C

L<----------x------------------------------------------------------------------------->C

And the x didn't even move.

Loving him and respecting him isn’t the same thing as giving him a free pass.

It seems that way now because of just how bad Trump is as a person and president.  It’s nit that it’s all so slanted. It’s that he gives them so much bad stuff to report on...and has constantly insulted the media and journalists.

Maybe not from Talk Radio and Fox News.   Hollywood, the MSM, and network TV adored Obama.   The only reason Obama had it tougher than before was the advancement of social media where ordinary people could express their anger towards him.  
I’m talking about how many news outlets avoided ever discussing or showing FDR in a wheel chair or how FDR’s people would physically assault and destroy photographs of him in a wheelchair and it wouldn’t be challenged in the press. The press also routinely looked the other way at the vices of drugs, alcohol and affairs that Presidents like FDR, JFK and others engaged in.

We have had a lot of Presidents with varying relationships with the media. Going to extremes and saying one is the most unfairly treated ever and another was treated the best ever is just not taking into account anything that has happened before maybe 1980? 

Also saying except Fox News and talk radio is a pretty big caveat. Fox News was the most watched news network in the country at the time by a very wide margin and 6 of the top 10 radio shows in the country were conservative political programs. 

Users who are viewing this thread