What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Should Children Be Trained And Taught To Handle Bullies? (14/30) (1 Viewer)

GordonGekko

Footballguy
VIDEO: Teen Takes Her Own Life After Being Attacked by Bullies Feb 11, 2023

Fourteen-year-old Adriana Kuch took her own life the day after a video was posted online of her being savagely beaten by bullies at school. The incident happened at Central High School in Bayville, New Jersey. Some students say bullying is rampant at the school. Following Kuch's suicide, angry students staged a walk-out from classes. Three of the students involved in the attack were charged with felony assault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjdtJmoDBMw

VIDEO: Contentious school board meeting held in wake of N.J. student's death Feb 16, 2023

Parents and students packed the auditorium at Central Regional High School in Bayville on Thursday night demanding answers from the school board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMcWv_rvdVY

VIDEO: Charlee's BJJ Transformation (A Bullyproof Project) Nov 4, 2021

When Rener found out that Charlee Funes was attacked at school, he used social media to connect with her family and invited her to rebuild her confidence at the Certified Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Training Center in her community. They accepted the offer and this video documents her Gracie Bullyproof transformation over the summer of 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qYlQFEwD4A

Direct Headline: Cyberbullying is on the rise among middle and high school students

By Elizabeth Thomas July 16, 2019

... Among the 20 percent of students who said they were bullied between the ages of 12 and 18 during the 2016 school year, 15% said they were bullied online or by text, according to the report by the National Center for Education Statistics. This is a 3.5% increase from the 2014-2015 school year....Furthermore, the report found that roughly 41% of students between the ages of 12-18 who reported being bullied thought the bullying would happen again....Cyberbullying can include anything from sending hateful messages to sharing harmful or defaming content about someone else online, according to StopBullying.gov, and it can be “persistent, permanent, and hard to notice.”

The report found that girls were more likely to be bullied and that 21% of girls who reported being bullied were singled out online or via text messages....In 2018, a 12-year old girl took her own life after her parents said she was severely cyberbullied by peers and adults at her Florida middle school....The parents of Gabbie Green, told ABC News that the bullying began on social media, though it eventually escalated to offline incidents as well. "There were memes, they put memes out of her figure," her mother, Tanya Green, said....Shane Green, Gabbie's father, added that there was even "a picture with a gun to her head."

....On the day Gabbie killed herself, the Greens said she had been receiving harassing text messages...."They were saying that they were going to spread rumors about her," Tanya Green said of the messages. The texts "were telling her that she should just kill herself" and that "nobody liked her...."

The federal report found that students who reported being bullied online varied by gender, race and grade level.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/cyb...chool-students-report-finds/story?id=64364477

“I would rather be a little nobody, then to be a evil somebody.”

- Abraham Lincoln

“You should be nicer to him,' a schoolmate had once said to me of some awfully ill-favored boy. 'He has no friends.' This, I realized with a pang of pity that I can still remember, was only true as long as everybody agreed to it.”

- Christopher Hitchens

“If they don't like you for being yourself, be yourself even more.”

- Taylor Swift

Here is another topic that is designed to increase discussion and participation in the FFA.

I see this as an interesting topic because many here are parents and the explosion and normalization of online social media has made bullying a potentially terrifying proposition for America's youth. You can be persecuted and hunted down, for digital eternity, with no relief and often no recourse. Tragically, some kids are also committing suicide over being bullied. Also the notion that the average parent is on their own in this regard, without any practical help from their local schools, has never been more glaring as a day to day reality. This topic is broad enough where I believe there can be a lot of interesting discussion without having to delve into public policy nor other controversial public administration subthemes.

( For those without children, feel free, if you wish, to discuss other children in your life pathway such as nieces, nephews, cousins, children of friends/coworkers/neighbors, students in your class, etc, etc) Are you currently concerned about your child being bullied? If your child was bullied, and you'd like to share, what happened? How did it resolve ( if at all)? Were you bullied as a child? How did that resolve? What impact did it have short and long term on your life? Were you a bully in your youth? What catalyzed that behavior? What changed, if at all? What concerns do you have about your children regarding social media and the potential for threat / abuse / bullying? Have you observed these things happening to other children in your network/social sphere? Is there an answer for any of this? Should children be taught and trained to physically fight back? Do you approve of your kids using physical violence if needed in self defense against these bullies? Does your approach change if it's a son in the situation versus a daughter? Would you be willing to confront the parents of a kid who is bullying your own child? What would you say? What would you do?

I'll leave this here for others to discuss. (14/30)

the kid has got to fight back, he may get a beat down ...but then come back harder

this doesn't relate to weapons and death level threats - I'm talking school yard bullying

Never been a worse time to be a kid, which is something my generation should be ashamed of. No easy answers though.

So here is what I see around me at least.

Mental health crisis
Covid stunted social development
Kids are generally protected more than in past - thinner skinned?

Now mix that with things that haven’t changed at all….
Kids are just as mean as ever
Still get away with physical and verbal bullying with no real consequences

Add up that recipe and I would say half the kids go to school wondering if they’ll get beat up and most of the rest go dreading what will be said to them that day.

My approach has been tons of sports (soccer, basketball, baseball) from age 5-10, and am about ready to start introducing martial arts, beginning with Judo. But first and foremost, is teaching my kid to be respectful of others, pick and choose his battles, and know that his words are not only his greatest weapon, but also his best defense.

I was under the impression that physical bullying in schools was mostly a thing of the past. I imagine most of us remember actual, full-on hazing taking place in high school, similar to the stuff depicted in Dazed and Confused. That stuff doesn't happen anymore, obviously. Schools embarked on a pretty massive anti-bullying campaign 20+ years ago that seems to have eradicated most of the "schoolyard bully" phenomenon too.

It would easy to imagine that a lot of that has moved online. Adults have not set a great example when it comes to cyberbullying.

My approach has been tons of sports (soccer, basketball, baseball) from age 5-10, and am about ready to start introducing martial arts, beginning with Judo. But first and foremost, is teaching my kid to be respectful of others, pick and choose his battles, and know that his words are not only his greatest weapon, but also his best defense.
But are you going with Cobra Kai, Miyagi-Do, or Eagle Fang?

just have him join the Punching Team.

just have him join the Punching Team.

And people wonder why kids behave as bully/troll combos in real life.

"I learned it by watching you!"

Last edited:
Bullying hysteria is to martial arts businesses as sweetest day is to greeting card companies.

VIDEO: Ray Velcoro Beats Up Bully's Dad - True Detective Season 2 Jun 22, 2015

Ray Velcoro (Colin Farrell) interrogates his own son and then confronts the school bully's dad.

"You're going to run out on your dad? Take a look. He's doing this for you."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHOGs5x90PU

Something that no one talks about is when the situation spins so far out of control, and given that most public school districts just don't want to get sued above all else, that the "victim" might have family that gets involved.

Don't get me wrong, I've run into my fair share of psychopaths, narcissists, sociopaths and generally horrific people in my life. But it wasn't until that I started parenting, and started to have no choice but to deal with other parents, did I really see the endless depth of true human depravity.

I guess the next question becomes - At what point does a parent need to intervene on their own and with their own two hands? Outside of the law, the school district, social norms, everything.

Users who are viewing this thread