What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I believe the economy may be really bad right now. (3 Viewers)

For some reason, I always forget about Social Security - I just logged into the SS website and for a gov agency, it's pretty slick. If I delay my retirement to 70 (and with 5 kids, I'm probably never retiring) the amount per month jumps quite a bit from 67. It's more than I thought I'd be getting per month for sure. Hot damn!
Pardon? They had to send me a password by old-fashioned paper mail for me to access their website. That wasn't 10 years ago -- it was last month.

Really? Huh....I had to do the 'username' reminder by answering three personal questions (thank god I remembered those) then they sent me a text with a code, which I plugged in, created a new password and WA LA - ***MANSION****

For some reason, I always forget about Social Security - I just logged into the SS website and for a gov agency, it's pretty slick. If I delay my retirement to 70 (and with 5 kids, I'm probably never retiring) the amount per month jumps quite a bit from 67. It's more than I thought I'd be getting per month for sure. Hot damn!
Unless we turn into France :oldunsure:
If we can bring their soccer talent with it, lets do it.

Unless we turn into France :oldunsure:
If we can bring their soccer talent with it, lets do it.
:lmao: No

Pardon? They had to send me a password by old-fashioned paper mail for me to access their website. That wasn't 10 years ago -- it was last month.

Really? Huh....I had to do the 'username' reminder by answering three personal questions (thank god I remembered those) then they sent me a text with a code, which I plugged in, created a new password and WA LA - ***MANSION****

Worked for me too. First time signing in. Don't forget that while they are showing x dollars at whatever year you retire. Starting in 2035 they can only pay out 80%. So that blows for some of us who will retire right around that time.

Social Security will be there when you retire
The Social Security taxes you pay go into the Social Security Trust Funds that are used to pay benefits to current
beneficiaries. The Social Security Board of Trustees estimates that, based on current law, the Trust Funds will be
able to pay benefits in full and on time until 2035. In 2035, Social Security would still be able to pay about $800 for
every $1,000 in benefits scheduled. Learn more at ssa.gov/ThereForMe.

Worked for me too. First time signing in. Don't forget that while they are showing x dollars at whatever year you retire. Starting in 2035 they can only pay out 80%. So that blows for some of us who will retire right around that time.

The Social Security taxes you pay go into the Social Security Trust Funds that are used to pay benefits to current
beneficiaries. The Social Security Board of Trustees estimates that, based on current law, the Trust Funds will be
able to pay benefits in full and on time until 2035. In 2035, Social Security would still be able to pay about $800 for
I think we're collectively at the point where we don't need to worry about this sort of thing. If/when they tweak social security, there's a very high chance that we'll all be grandfathered in.

They’ll fix that. Last thing they want is old people on the streets. Talk about a disaster if they start cutting social security. Huge voting demographic. Not to mention social security isn’t a give away. Those people have been putting money into the fund for their entire lives.

Ask quietly in government circles in Riyadh, Abu Dhabi, Kuwait City or Doha about the petroyuan, and the response — even in the weeks following Xi’s visit to Riyadh — is unanimous: the petrodollar is here to stay. On a recent trip to the region, I didn’t hear a single official talking seriously about making preparations to introduce a new currency to the mix. The answers sound a lot like this: What’s in it for us? The greenback is freely convertible, the yuan isn’t; the dollar is liquid, the yuan isn’t. That’s the polite version; the more candid answers sounded even more emphatic about the absurdity of turning to a managed currency produced by an opaque and unpredictable financial machine.

As in every conspiracy, there’s a grain of truth in the petroyuan tale, however. Xi did encourage the region to embrace the yuan for oil trade. But rather than pricing oil in yuan, as many had expected, Xi simply asked Middle East producers to accept payments in yuan.

Middle East officials were lukewarm at best. In public, they are open to debate the merits, but not much more. “There are no issues with discussing how we settle our trade arrangements, whether it is in the US dollar, whether it is the euro, whether it is the Saudi riyal,” Saudi Finance Minister Mohammed Al-Jadaan said last month. Thani Al Zeyoudi, the Emirati trade minister, said his country was prepared to discuss settling trade in different currencies, but only for “non-oil” deals.

In the region, the petroyuan is also seen as a door that, once opened, would invite followers. India may want a petrorupee, officials say; Japan, South Korea and Taiwan could seek similar arrangements. Although China is Saudi Arabia’s largest oil customer, taking roughly 26% of its oil exports, the combination of Japan and South Korea surpasses that share, reaching 28%. Add Taiwan, and the trio account for nearly one-third of Saudi petroleum exports. If you say “yes” to the petroyuan, how can you refuse, say, the petroyen and the petrowon?

Going beyond settling oil trade invoices in yuan is even harder. The appetite among OPEC producers to price oil in yuan using a Chinese exchange is almost nil. Middle Eastern national oil companies closely watch how Beijing tries to manipulate local commodity prices such as iron ore, cotton, coal or grains every time prices rise above its pain threshold. Having spent 60 years building a formidable cartel, why would Middle East nations cede pricing power to China?

So one of my best friends runs one of the 10 largest mortgage lenders in the country.

He said it is astonishing how poorly the middle class manages their finances...living paycheck to paycheck on six figure househould incomes.

So then I checked the statistics and he was right....what int he hell is this country doing? Incredible.
Blanket statements like this are pretty myopic and lacking in the ability to think about different circumstances (which is odd as I‘ve found you to typically be a thoughtful poster).

Making 100k living in SoCal, San Francisco, New York, etc etc while supporting a family is quite different from making 100k in Omaha and being single. It’s not hard to see how the former could be paycheck to paycheck.

And a new study conducted by New York City-based financial technology firm SmartAsset shows just how much.

The company looked at 76 of the largest cities in the United States to determine what a $100,000 salary is actually worth after taxes. It adjusted those figures based on the after-tax amount and cost of living in each of them.

The findings may be even more staggering than you thought. According to SmartAsset's data, a $100,000 annual salary in New York City amounts to only $35,791 when those factors are considered.

Ouch. That figure is good for dead last in the SmartAsset study. It can't even buy you a Tesla. And it can barely buy you half a year of college at Columbia University, based on those tuition numbers.

Of all 76 cities assessed, $100,000 has the least stretch in New York City. Rounding out the bottom five: Honolulu, Hawaii ($36,026); San Francisco, California ($36,445); Washington, D.C. ($44,307); and Long Beach and Los Angeles, California, which tie at $44,623.

I don't see the difference when you talk about taking nice trips instead of buying a new car.
Fair, as we all have different priorities.

Like a lot of males, I grew up loving cars - read all the magazines, and hung out with a mechanic friend, who souped up muscle cars from the 60‘s and 70’s.

I also drove fast and recklessly, occasionally racing through residential streets, and a quarter mile ”drag strip” in a deserted office park. Practiced police turns when it snowed. In the process, I‘ve probably earned 20 speeding tickets, plus a smattering of other moving violations. Even got thrown in a holding cell a few hours, when the cops thought I was trying to evade them. In reality, I was just driving too fast to notice their lights and sirens.

With all that in mind, I was sure I’d buy a nice sports car some day. But once I could afford it, I lost Interest. I’ve owned only two new cars in my life, and three used ones. The enjoyment they provide is really transient. I‘ve also driven a couple Teslas and a modern GT350. While they’re much nicer (and faster) than anything I’ve owned, still not fun enough to justify the price.

Traveling is a different story. A single day spent hiking, biking, climbing or skiing, especially in an unfamiliar wild setting, can provide far more enjoyment than any motorized vehicle. And you can spend a lot of days outdoors for the price of a new car.

Of course it’s all subjective, so YMMV.

Outstanding news! So, 6.2% of your income is taken out your paycheck for 30 or 40 years, the government will ONLY lose 20% of it and then when they give you back 80% of the money they took, you can look forward to paying taxes on it? What an awesome deal!

Outstanding news! So, 6.2% of your income is taken out your paycheck for 30 or 40 years, the government will ONLY lose 20% of it and then when they give you back 80% of the money they took, you can look forward to paying taxes on it? What an awesome deal!
No, if need be, the government will print the other 20% to give to us.

So a 22 OZ bag of chicken wings is $12.xx at the store. That's comprised of 10 wings and probably 10 oz of ice crystals. Everyday I'm shocked by the prices of food. Something is going to have to give.

Meanwhile milk is still $2.99 like it's been for three decades.
HA!!!!! Not down here. Try 5-6 bucks a gallon. Where do you live?
Where milk is not 5-6 bucks a gallon.

Dude, only the first $147k of your income. With FBG money, that's nothing.

Seriously, if this isn't proof that the government is horrible at running things then I don't know what is.

Well, when you put it that way.....yeesh.

Seriously, if this isn't proof that the government is horrible at running things then I don't know what is.
The government and the general idea is fine. Just need to tweak the operating parameters a little bit.

The real problem is "politics", because THAT is what is twisting a fairly simple issue into some kind of an armageddon thing. Just raise the age a few years and/or raise the tax cap significantly or eliminate it.

The government and the general idea is fine. Just need to tweak the operating parameters a little bit.

The real problem is "politics", because THAT is what is twisting a fairly simple issue into some kind of an armageddon thing. Just raise the age a few years and/or raise the tax cap significantly or eliminate it.
In other words, let's just increase the tax on those who already pay 90% of all federal income taxes some more. That seems fair!

Just as an aside:

You know what's the cheapest takeout dinner-for-four these days? Chain pizza places**. At least in the N.O. metro area.

10-15 years ago, you national burger chains were considerably less, especially if one or two of those four meals were kid's-meal specials (e.g. McD's Happy Meal).

** Yes, they skimp on the cheese more than they used to. Solution: Buy a bag of shredded mozzarella (almost always on sale at local groceries if you're not brand-picky), then add on more cheese and pop in the air fryer for a minute or two.

Just as an aside:

You know what's the cheapest takeout dinner-for-four these days? Chain pizza places. At least in the N.O. metro area.

10-15 years ago, you national burger chains were considerably less, especially if one or two of those four meals were kid's-meal specials (e.g. McD's Happy Meal).
Delivery costs me $40-$70 now (depending on what I order) except for pizza. Its insane. Pizza still the best deal. Pies generally $25 and can comfortably feed our family.

In other words, let's just increase the tax on those who already pay 90% of all federal income taxes some more. That seems fair!
A lot of those people that don't pay federal income taxes are retired. They already paid their income taxes and now are living off of SS.

There's no way to address social security without making somebody worse off. Either future retirees will have to pay more in payroll taxes, or they'll have to retire later, or they'll receive fewer benefits, or taxpayers will have to make up the difference from general appropriations, or whatever. Raising the limit on the payroll tax seems like a reasonable alternative, among many others.

At this point, for those of us in Gen X, social security is what it is and we might as well make our peace with it. I would have loved to have had the opportunity to opt out when I was 20, but that was then and this is now, and it's a waste of everyone's time to lament that we didn't get to take advantage of compounding market returns instead of relying on a pay-as-you-go annuity. At age 50, sticking with the pay-as-you-go annuity is our best bet. Changes to the program are going to affect our kids -- who have decades to respond -- not us.

There's no way to address social security without making somebody worse off. Either future retirees will have to pay more in payroll taxes, or they'll have to retire later, or they'll receive fewer benefits, or taxpayers will have to make up the difference from general appropriations, or whatever. Raising the limit on the payroll tax seems like a reasonable alternative, among many others.

At this point, for those of us in Gen X, social security is what it is and we might as well make our peace with it. I would have loved to have had the opportunity to opt out when I was 20, but that was then and this is now, and it's a waste of everyone's time to lament that we didn't get to take advantage of compounding market returns instead of relying on a pay-as-you-go annuity. At age 50, sticking with the pay-as-you-go annuity is our best bet. Changes to the program are going to affect our kids -- who have decades to respond -- not us.
Privatizing social security from now on would be a great first step

I'm sure we could find billions, if not trillions of dollars in federal government spending that would not make anyone any worse off (except maybe the lobbyists or farcical "project" owners) and funnel that to SS.

ETA: ferreting out those currently abusing the benefit as well would be a good place to start

Last edited:

At this point, for those of us in Gen X, social security is what it is and we might as well make our peace with it. I would have loved to have had the opportunity to opt out when I was 20, but that was then and this is now, and it's a waste of everyone's time to lament that we didn't get to take advantage of compounding marke returns instead of relying on a pay-as-you-go annuity. At age 50, sticking with the pay-as-you-go annuity is our best bet. Changes to the program are going to affect our kids -- who have decades to respond -- not us.
Can you describe how that works? Us two examples, one 50 year old and one 20 year old.

I'm all in favor of doing this, but the transition-related problems that people were talking about back in 2005 would still be there. You're not going to tell current retirees and near-retirees "Sorry, but you guys are on your own from now on." Those folks are going to be grandfathered into the existing system. And then we have to figure out how to cut checks to those people for the next few decades without relying on payroll taxes from younger workers. We should probably rip that band aid off at some point, but it's going to be painful for whoever gets caught in the transition.

I'm all in favor of doing this, but the transition-related problems that people were talking about back in 2005 would still be there. You're not going to tell current retirees and near-retirees "Sorry, but you guys are on your own from now on." Those folks are going to be grandfathered into the existing system. And then we have to figure out how to cut checks to those people for the next few decades without relying on payroll taxes from younger workers. We should probably rip that band aid off at some point, but it's going to be painful for whoever gets caught in the transition.
This.

And as I mentioned above, cut spending to lobbies, special interest groups, farcical social programs, etc and put that money toward those grandfathered. If the spending bloat goes away, the things that actually need funding would have plenty

The one player game is pretty straightforward - they have that one actuarily equal no matter the age you claim. If you're married and your wife has earnings, though, the two player game is more complicated and there is opportunity to make or lose thousands of dollars over your lives with a poor choice. If you're in that category you definitely want to run the numbers (or have someone do that) to know where you stand. It pays off bigly.

Actuarily pulling the other bandaid - the income limitation on the payroll tax. This covers a lot of the shortfall. They could also monkey with the bend points to squeeze the upper income folks. That's obscure enough to pass muster and could be pretty effective.

Other solutions are tougher. Raising the age is tough as even though people live longer their physical faculties do die out in their sixties. Taxing benefits is tough as most of the income is already taxed (it was never indexed for inflation, so that threshold keeps dropping). Making it means tested would result in a citizen revolt as SS was always promised to be a piggy bank for all.

At this point, for those of us in Gen X, social security is what it is and we might as well make our peace with it. I would have loved to have had the opportunity to opt out when I was 20, but that was then and this is now, and it's a waste of everyone's time to lament that we didn't get to take advantage of compounding marke returns instead of relying on a pay-as-you-go annuity. At age 50, sticking with the pay-as-you-go annuity is our best bet. Changes to the program are going to affect our kids -- who have decades to respond -- not us.
Can you describe how that works? Us two examples, one 50 year old and one 20 year old.
If you do it from now on it would be the same for everybody. However the 50 year old would have the old social security pension as well as whatever they put away and earn going forward.

Fast-food prices in general have been rising a lot faster than inflation for a few years now. It's nowhere near a quick dinner-for-four deal anymore. GB the air fryer.
And McDonalds is trying to go upscale with their burgers, no doubt at a higher price. It’s hard not to spend $10 now. It defeats the whole premise, people want McDonalds because it’s cheap.

Fast-food prices in general have been rising a lot faster than inflation for a few years now. It's nowhere near a quick dinner-for-four deal anymore. GB the air fryer.
And McDonalds is trying to go upscale with their burgers, no doubt at a higher price. It’s hard not to spend $10 now. It defeats the whole premise, people want McDonalds because it’s cheap.
I couldn’t believe it. I work overnights, starving when I got out recently. Busy night. Hadn’t had McDonalds in years. Pulled in and got a bacon croissant sandwich, orange juice and a hash brown. $12……..twelve friggin dollars for that.

On this page of this thread I learned that a lot more people than I ever imagined seem to be relying on fast food to feed their families. Is it because people don't have the time to cook at home?

If you do it from now on it would be the same for everybody. However the 50 year old would have the old social security pension as well as whatever they put away and earn going forward.
Can you describe how it would work for everybody?

Like the SS withholding would still be there, but one can control where their SS withholding $ goes? Like a 401k? What happens when people make terrible decisions in that SS account?

Or just abolish SS and let people have that money back in their paycheck?

Or something else?

To me, the purpose of SS is to have a minimum backstop (pension) that would allow for a minimum lifestyle maintenance after retirement. Basically poverty line equivalence. And as long as you put enough years paying in, you qualify.

Is it "fair"? No. It's not fair. Just like life. And that's OK.

It doesn't mean that one can't save more for retirement on their own.

On this page of this thread I learned that a lot more people than I ever imagined seem to be relying on fast food to feed their families. Is it because people don't have the time to cook at home?

Being frank, and only speaking for my own household: It's more fatigue than time.

That's distilling it down to the essentials -- it's a little more complicated than that when you tease apart the inputs.

a lot more people than I ever imagined seem to be relying on fast food to feed their families.

I would also add there is some distance between "knowing what fast food costs" and "relying on fast food to feed their families". While some people are, I wouldn't think an appreciable number of Americans are on the "No fast food - ever!" plan.

Can you describe how it would work for everybody?

Like the SS withholding would still be there, but one can control where their SS withholding $ goes? Like a 401k? What happens when people make terrible decisions in that SS account?

Or just abolish SS and let people have that money back in their paycheck?

Or something else?

To me, the purpose of SS is to have a minimum backstop (pension) that would allow for a minimum lifestyle maintenance after retirement. Basically poverty line equivalence. And as long as you put enough years paying in, you qualify.

Is it "fair"? No. It's not fair. Just like life. And that's OK.

It doesn't mean that one can't save more for retirement on their own.
When I was younger I was all for making SS an elective program and/or letting people make their own investment decisions etc. As I’ve gotten older my thinking has changed. Quite frankly, I don’t think the majority of people are qualified to make those kind of decisions on their own. Like you said SS is supposed to me a minimum backstop for the elderly. If you worked your entire life, you’re not going to live well but you’re also not going to be begging on the street. What do we do with the people who opted out but didn’t put anything away, made poor investment decisions…ie kept chasing the meme stocks etc, or even if we have an extended downturn in the market lasting a decade or more. SS is a good system as long as the government stops using it as a slush fund.

a lot more people than I ever imagined seem to be relying on fast food to feed their families.

I would also add there is some distance between "knowing what fast food costs" and "relying on fast food to feed their families". While some people are, I wouldn't think an appreciable number of Americans are on the "No fast food - ever!" plan.
That's fair, though I did use the word 'seem'.

I'm not on the "No fast food - ever!" plan (though my wife and kids are) as I'll occasionally grab McD's for a McMuffin (those are f'n crack) but I have no clue what it would cost to feed our family a meal made up entirely of fast food.

I like to bash the gov't as much as the next guy, but the bolded above really isn't the problem is it?

I thought it was pretty well documented that lower birthrates combined with a wave of baby boomers retiring at earlier and earlier ages and living longer was the main issue.

According to the WSJ, the SS trust fund was on an upward trajectory ($2.9 trillion) as recently as 2019 when it began its decline.

Last edited:

That's fair, though I did use the word 'seem'.

I'm not on the "No fast food - ever!" plan (though my wife and kids are) as I'll occasionally grab McD's for a McMuffin (those are f'n crack) but I have no clue what it would cost to feed our family a meal made up entirely of fast food.
McMuffin Hack: ask for the muffin "very well done". 🤤

ETA: I also used to get them buttered, but they refuse to do that anymore.

Some people in this thread seem like they really don't understand what it is to be human.

You could live life like a miser and "make the best of it" I guess if that's your bag. People want to feel things, they want to live and live abundantly. When you tell people they shouldn't, I just shake my head.

People can live how they want to live. The disconnect is that everyone can't have everything and then complain that the economy sucks because their parents, who spent on way fewer luxuries, had more stable retirement accounts.

A middle class family in the past had a mediocre house with a white picket fence and was content. Now today's middle class is jealous they can't have the same as easily. But a middle class family in the past didn't travel all the time, they didn't eat out all the time, they didn't camp out for the privilege to spend thousands of dollars to see Taylor Swift, they didn't have 8 streaming services on top of cable, they didn't upgrade their phone every 8 months.

The middle class in our parent's generation flew on an airplane once a decade and ate out a couple times a year and thought that was living the good life. The middle class now flies somewhere every year (multiple times, many years) and eats out all the dang time and complains they don't have enough. Applebees sure as heck didn't have an hour long wait on a Wednesday evening during our parent's generation, lol.

Yes all the luxury/experience stuff is too expensive. Bowling is stupid expensive. Sports games, Disney World, etc. But they're all expensive because they everyone still keeps going because they've decided spending and experiences are their primary priority in life, then complaining they're not as well off in other areas as the last generation when the last generation prioritized those things instead.

Last edited:
Business owner friend just went to a conference.

Keynote speaker expects a substantial recession beginning in Q4 that will end in 2024. He further expects a depression type event in 2030 due to US debt management becoming unsustainable and economic collapse.

Scary stuff. We only have ourselves to blame if the depression event comes to fruition. There are a lot of scared economists out there right now.

Keynote speaker expects a substantial recession beginning in Q4 that will end in 2024. He further expects a depression type event in 2030 due to US debt management becoming unsustainable and economic collapse.

Scary stuff. We only have ourselves to blame if the depression event comes to fruition. There are a lot of scared economists out there right now.

Could, uh, we get some credentials on this speaker by chance?

Predicting economic events 7 years down the line is like trying to predict the weather, wind direction and speed for October 12th...you might be correct, but there's a greater chance you're wrong.

Might be fun to look back through threads here 7-9 years ago to see what we were blathering about here vs where we are now. We've had some wicked smahhht fbgs making salient points interspersed with wildly wrong interpretations of what was about to eventuate down the line.

After skipping dinner and staying too late at a friend‘s house, my wife and I went to Taco Bell, possibly our first fast food meal in 15 years together. It definitely wasn’t 49 cent bean burritos, but $1.69 is still pretty cheap imo.

My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it’s pretty serious.

Could, uh, we get some credentials on this speaker by chance?

Predicting economic events 7 years down the line is like trying to predict the weather, wind direction and speed for October 12th...you might be correct, but there's a greater chance you're wrong.

Might be fun to look back through threads here 7-9 years ago to see what we were blathering about here vs where we are now. We've had some wicked smahhht fbgs making salient points interspersed with wildly wrong interpretations of what was about to eventuate down the line.

Predicted in 1875 and still going strong

Users who are viewing this thread