What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (4 Viewers)

timdraft™ were Serious Business(c). Oh the anguish over Cézanne receiving a middling ranking. 😂

Woe to the judge who didn’t take his job seriously though. @timschochet never forgave that guy who butchered the Philosopher rankings.

#goodtimes
was Cezanne the inspiration for Sherwin Williams? "just COVER that mountain with paint, Frenchy". i'm drunk & Dante AF.....

miss them folks & that unirony, mah brah. Gimme Shelter - 

I really like “Long and Winding Road”. It reminds me of another Paul song that I love from his solo days, “My Love”. Both songs are maudlin with cheesy or romantic lyrics depending on your taste. But what I love are the melodies. He’s so good at that pop melodies, perhaps the best ever. 

I group “Love Me Do” as one of the “Beatlemania” songs- the #1 hits they had a string of when they first became famous. Of those songs, IMO “Love Me Do” is one of the least of them. Still awfully good though. 

Reminder that 12:01 a.m. PST on Monday is the close of my two contests for charity:

Name my #1 song.  I have the following; please correct or add as you'd like (these are in order of submission):

1. simey – Abbey Road medley
  2. Mister CIA – She Said She Said
  3. timschochet – Paperback Writer
  4. pecorino – Hey Jude
  5. Binky the Doormat – In My Life
  6. wikkidpissah – Taxman
  7. Dr. Octopus – Got To Get You Into My Life
  8. Nigel Tufnel – You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away
  9. Uruk-Hai – Ticket to Ride
  10. Dinsy Ejotuz – Let It Be
  11. Tom Hagen – Eleanor Rigby
  12. Spock – Rain
  13. Leroy Hoard – A Day in the Life
  14. rockaction  - I Want to Hold Your Hand
  15. Ted Lange as Your Bartender – In My Life
  16. shuke – Abbey Road medley
  17. Alex P Keaton – Something
  18. Getzlaf15 – With A Little Help From My Friends
  19. zamboni – While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  20. neal cassady – I Am the Walrus
  21. Shaft41 – Hey Bulldog
  22. Ilov80s – Norwegian Wood
  23. Officer Pete Malloy – I Want to Hold Your Hand
  24. Godsbrother – Dear Prudence
  25. ManofSteelhead – Eleanor Rigby
  26. mike9289 - I'm Looking Through You
Guess my top 10.  I have lists from the following; please let me know if I've missed you or if you want to add your list (these are in the order in which I randomly pasted them into a Word  document):

1. Ilov80s
  2. ManofSteelhead
  3. Getzlaf
  4. ScottNorwood
  5. rockaction
  6. Mister CIA
  7. simey
  8. Dr. Octopus
  9. tim
  10. Spock
  11. Tom Hagen
  12. mike9289
  13. Uruk
  14. Alex P Keaton
  15. Binky
  16. pecorino

106.  Baby You're a Rich Man (single, 1967)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

This is another Beatles song I love, but apparently a little less than 100 or so others.

I should take a nap.

Mr. krista:  "I like it. It’s vaguely Harrison-influenced. I like his falsetto.  Seems way ahead of its time.  You could see Happy Mondays or some of those factory bands playing a song like that."

Suggested cover:  I dunno, sleepy.
Damn, forgot about this.  Probably should be in my top 25 sent to Getz.

I really like “Long and Winding Road”. It reminds me of another Paul song that I love from his solo days, “My Love”. Both songs are maudlin with cheesy or romantic lyrics depending on your taste. But what I love are the melodies. He’s so good at that pop melodies, perhaps the best ever. 

I group “Love Me Do” as one of the “Beatlemania” songs- the #1 hits they had a string of when they first became famous. Of those songs, IMO “Love Me Do” is one of the least of them. Still awfully good though. 
Long and Windind Road is a really good song.  Love Me Do is Beatlemania.   It's a top 50 song in my book but Krista has a different book and that's cool.    Love Me Do is so dang good.   Going to be interesting to see songs listed above it.  

I'm I the only one in here that's going to admit to loving the Spectorized version of Long and Winding Road?  Come at me.

This song that you were the first to add has been added on the next two lists for three-in-a-row.

Another song that was on 4 of the first 5 lists has only been listed once since.

21 lists in now.

One song has been on 18 of them.
Better to start the run than end it. Kind of like drafting kickers.

Top 10 (no particular order)

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Abbey Road medley

Eleanor Rigby

I Am the Walrus

Something

Paperback Writer

A Day in the Life

Come Together

Norwegian Wood

Penny Lane
#1: Eleanor Rigby

I'm I the only one in here that's going to admit to loving the Spectorized version of Long and Winding Road?  Come at me.
i liked it because, in those days, i actually cared that grownups saw the value in the music i loved so much, so orchestral versions of anything rock had value that way. Not a fan of that leslieized whatever in the naked version, so i could use a demaster of the remasters

@Ted Lange as your Bartender, you seem to have a great Beatles video vault.  Got anything to post for our halftime show here today?   :)  
I’ve actually been holding onto a video for a few days waiting for a specific song to be named on your list.  I’m going to keep waiting for that since I have a feeling it’s coming up pretty soon.

In the meantime, here’s a “video” of a Beatles performance at the Star Club in Hamburg in 1962.  Very raw sound still but the intensity with which they tear through these sings is impressive.  And anyone who listens to this and still thinks Ringo is somehow a bad drummer can just ####.  He is wailing in this set.

This has been our dinner prep and dinner time soundtrack both a Friday and Saturday .. thank you!!

We picked up at 140 (I'll Be Back) and ended at 122 (Sexy Sadie) on Friday, paired with Country Fried Steak, baby potatoes and green beans with feta, almonds and balsamic. To be honest there were not many stand outs in this section but there were quite a few we weren't familiar with and said we need to have a few more listening sessions to really be able to pass judgement on them.

Saurday's baked pasta with Italian sausage started off with Glass Onion and took us right through to Long and Winding Road. Interestingly we both were looking forward to the latter song but then both of us went, "meh" when listening to it. Didn't do much for either of us. Stand outs here were many - Yellow Submarine, She,s a Woman, No Reply, Baby Your a Rich Man, to name a few.

Echoing a few others, we cannot get over the level of detail in the narrative. I would have to listen to each song multiple times in a row to hear the specifics mentioned and still couldn't come close to this.  And that doesn't even account for the significant level of knowledge of Beatles history, etc.

I hope to come up with a top 10 list later today but will list my #1 guess shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been our dinner prep and dinner time soundtrack both a Friday and Saturday .. thank you!!

We picked up at 140 (I'll Be Back) and ended at 122 (Sexy Sadie) on Friday, paired with Country Fried Steak, baby potatoes and green beans with feta, almonds and balsamic. To be honest there were not many stand outs in this section but there were quite a few we weren't familiar with and said we need to have a few more listening sessions to really be able to pass judgement on them.

Saurday's baked pasta with Italian sausage started off with Glass Onion and took us right through to Long and Winding Road. Interestingly we both were looking forward to the latter song but then both of us went, "meh" when listening to it. Didn't do much for either of us. Stand outs here were many - Yellow Submarine, She,s a Woman, No Reply, Baby Your a Rich Man, to name a few.

Echoing a few others, we cannot get over the level of detail in the narrative. I would have to listen to each song multiple times in a row to hear the specifics mentioned and still couldn't come close to this.  And that doesn't even account for the significant level of knowledge of Beatles history, etc.

I hope to come up with a top 10 list later today but will list me #1 guess shortly.
Love it!  Love the food pairings!   :)   

Long and Winding Road is one I always thought was a favorite, until I got down actually to ranking them and realized it was right in the middle for me.

My guess for top song is A Day in the Life. 

Mrs. Punk is picking In my Life, which is one of my regular karaoke songs and will typically have me in tears by the end (I can be a sentimental fool after a few drinks and the karaoke is rolling).

I’ve actually been holding onto a video for a few days waiting for a specific song to be named on your list.  I’m going to keep waiting for that since I have a feeling it’s coming up pretty soon.

In the meantime, here’s a “video” of a Beatles performance at the Star Club in Hamburg in 1962.  Very raw sound still but the intensity with which they tear through these sings is impressive.  And anyone who listens to this and still thinks Ringo is somehow a bad drummer can just ####.  He is wailing in this set.
This is perfect for our halftime show.  Thanks!

Love it!  Love the food pairings!   :)   

Long and Winding Road is one I always thought was a favorite, until I got down actually to ranking them and realized it was right in the middle for me.
There are a few songs like this. I thought I liked them a lot more than I really do. On the flip side, this thread has me discovering a bunch that I didn't pay much attention to but starting to really dig them.

There are a few songs like this. I thought I liked them a lot more than I really do. On the flip side, this thread has me discovering a bunch that I didn't pay much attention to but starting to really dig them.
You guys should put in a personal top 25 to Getzlaf, too, if you haven't already.  He's doing a compilation of FBG favorites that he'll start revealing when I'm at my top 25.

Here is my stab at the top 10:

Abbey Road Medley
And Your Bird Can Sing
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
I'm Only Sleeping
Help!
Happiness Is a Warm Gun
A Day In The Life
Nowhere Man
I'm So Tired

Here is my stab at the top 10:

Abbey Road Medley
And Your Bird Can Sing
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
I'm Only Sleeping
Help!
Happiness Is a Warm Gun
A Day In The Life
Nowhere Man
I'm So Tired
krista4's top 10 that is.

You guys should put in a personal top 25 to Getzlaf, too, if you haven't already.  He's doing a compilation of FBG favorites that he'll start revealing when I'm at my top 25.
Yep, would love to get their list!

I need it before Krista gets to her #25. So we have some time.....

Talked to Krista yesterday about the composite list and we agreed to.....

Count down the entire Composite Rankings from 118 to 1.   When Krista lists her #25, I'll start the count down and list 4 or 5 songs each time she posts a new one in her Top 25.

I will be quoting Krista's post on that song so that people can have the spotify and YouTube links again.

I'll list the FGB that ranked that song the highest in the composite, along with how many times it was ranked #1 and the number of times someone ranked it in their Top 10.

When Krista gets down to her FINAL 10, I will stop my countdown.  Should be at around #50 at that point.   After Krista finishes, I'll post the Final 50 of the Composite rankings.

Many thanks to all that have sent in lists!  And thanks Krista for letting me do this!

Here’s my stab at the top 10:

In My Life

A Day in the Life

Abbey Road Medley

Ticket To Ride

Strawberry Fields Forever

Norweigian Wood

Eleanor Rigby

Tomorrow Never Knows

I Feel Fine

We Can Work It Out

Here it goes for top 10. I know there are going to be a few surprises but not sure where they'll be coming from.

A Day in the Life

In My Life

A Hard Days Night

Norwegian Wood

Nowhere Man

Drive My Car

Little Help From My Friends

Something

Ticket to Ride

Yesterday

That was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I'm going on a work road trip tomorrow, so I'll put the top 25 list together tomorrow or Tuesday. I have to start working on my pizza dough for Super Bowl.

Yep, would love to get their list!

I need it before Krista gets to her #25. So we have some time.....

Talked to Krista yesterday about the composite list and we agreed to.....

Count down the entire Composite Rankings from 118 to 1.   When Krista lists her #25, I'll start the count down and list 4 or 5 songs each time she posts a new one in her Top 25.

I will be quoting Krista's post on that song so that people can have the spotify and YouTube links again.

I'll list the FGB that ranked that song the highest in the composite, along with how many times it was ranked #1 and the number of times someone ranked it in their Top 10.

When Krista gets down to her FINAL 10, I will stop my countdown.  Should be at around #50 at that point.   After Krista finishes, I'll post the Final 50 of the Composite rankings.

Many thanks to all that have sent in lists!  And thanks Krista for letting me do this!
Getz ...you know this reads like Tanner wrote it.  😂

Long and Windind Road is a really good song.  Love Me Do is Beatlemania.   It's a top 50 song in my book but Krista has a different book and that's cool.    Love Me Do is so dang good.   Going to be interesting to see songs listed above it.  
Post #2 has the list of songs being ranked and which ones have been ranked and where, in case you (or anyone else) ever want to check.  Here are the songs that are left - freaking murderers row:

Please Please Me:

I Saw Her Standing There
Do You Want To Know A Secret
There's A Place
Twist And Shout

With the Beatles:

It Won't Be Long
All My Loving
You Really Got A Hold On Me
Money (That's What I Want)

A Hard Day’s Night:

A Hard Day's Night
I Should Have Known Better
If I Fell
I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
And I Love Her
Can't Buy Me Love
Any Time At All
I'll Cry Instead
Things We Said Today
You Can't Do That

Beatles for Sale:

I'm A Loser
I'll Follow The Sun
Eight Days A Week

Help!:

Help!
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
I Need You
You're Going To Lose That Girl
Ticket To Ride
Tell Me What You See
I've Just Seen A Face
Yesterday

Rubber Soul:

Drive My Car
Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
You Won't See Me
Nowhere Man
Girl
I'm Looking Through You
In My Life
Wait
If I Needed Someone
Run For Your Life

Revolver:

Taxman
Eleanor Rigby
I'm Only Sleeping
Love You To
Here, There And Everywhere
She Said She Said
Good Day Sunshine
And Your Bird Can Sing
For No One
I Want To Tell You
Got To Get You Into My Life
Tomorrow Never Knows

Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band:

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
With A Little Help From My Friends
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
Getting Better
Within You Without You
Lovely Rita
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
A Day In The Life

Magical Mystery Tour (EP):

I Am The Walrus

The Beatles (aka White Album):

Back In The USSR
Dear Prudence
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
I'm So Tired
Blackbird
Yer Blues
Mother Nature's Son
Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey
Helter Skelter
Long, Long, Long
Cry Baby Cry

Yellow Submarine:

Hey Bulldog
It's All Too Much
All You Need Is Love

Abbey Road:

Come Together
Something
Oh! Darling
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Here Comes The Sun
You Never Give Me Your Money/Sun King/Mean Mr Mustard/Polythene Pam/She Came In Through The Bathroom Window/Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End medley

Let It Be:

Two Of Us
Across The Universe
Let It Be
I've Got A Feeling
Get Back

Singles, etc.:

From Me To You
She Loves You
I Want To Hold Your Hand
This Boy
I Feel Fine
Day Tripper
We Can Work It Out
Paperback Writer
Rain
Hey Jude
Revolution
Don't Let Me Down
The Ballad Of John And Yoko
Strawberry Fields Forever
Penny Lane

Every time I come in to this thread I can't help but say, "what was she thinking?". This is an absolutely insane endeavor.

I get tired just thinking about trying to do it with a much easier collection of songs (I.e Guess Who being the first one I thought of as the local Canadian).

Just went through Krista's list of songs that remain.  It's going to be hit after hit and that list is why taking this task on is extremely difficult.   Better her than me.  

Reminder that 12:01 a.m. PST on Monday is the close of my two contests for charity:

Name my #1 song.  I have the following; please correct or add as you'd like (these are in order of submission):

1. simey – Abbey Road medley
  2. Mister CIA – She Said She Said
  3. timschochet – Paperback Writer
  4. pecorino – Hey Jude
  5. Binky the Doormat – In My Life
  6. wikkidpissah – Taxman
  7. Dr. Octopus – Got To Get You Into My Life
  8. Nigel Tufnel – You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away
  9. Uruk-Hai – Ticket to Ride
  10. Dinsy Ejotuz – Let It Be
  11. Tom Hagen – Eleanor Rigby
  12. Spock – Rain
  13. Leroy Hoard – A Day in the Life
  14. rockaction  - I Want to Hold Your Hand
  15. Ted Lange as Your Bartender – In My Life
  16. shuke – Abbey Road medley
  17. Alex P Keaton – Something
  18. Getzlaf15 – With A Little Help From My Friends
  19. zamboni – While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  20. neal cassady – I Am the Walrus
  21. Shaft41 – Hey Bulldog
  22. Ilov80s – Norwegian Wood
  23. Officer Pete Malloy – I Want to Hold Your Hand
  24. Godsbrother – Dear Prudence
  25. ManofSteelhead – Eleanor Rigby
  26. mike9289 - I'm Looking Through You
Guess my top 10.  I have lists from the following; please let me know if I've missed you or if you want to add your list (these are in the order in which I randomly pasted them into a Word  document):

1. Ilov80s
  2. ManofSteelhead
  3. Getzlaf
  4. ScottNorwood
  5. rockaction
  6. Mister CIA
  7. simey
  8. Dr. Octopus
  9. tim
  10. Spock
  11. Tom Hagen
  12. mike9289
  13. Uruk
  14. Alex P Keaton
  15. Binky
  16. pecorino
Krista, I did a guess at your top 10 a few pages back, although, I"ll admit, I didn't go back and check your post about what albums were represented there, so it's probably a joke.  

Just went through Krista's list of songs that remain.  It's going to be hit after hit and that list is why taking this task on is extremely difficult.   Better her than me.  
Yes, it's only going to get worse from here.   :(   

Krista, I did a guess at your top 10 a few pages back, although, I"ll admit, I didn't go back and check your post about what albums were represented there, so it's probably a joke.  
There are a few that have come in not on my list yet; I'll make sure yours is on the there.  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread