What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (2 Viewers)

21.  You've Got To Hide Your Love Away (Help!, 1965)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

C'mon.  I realize some Beatles songs are love/hate, but this has to be one that nobody hates, right?  Every person in the world sings along starting with that "Hey!", don't they?  C'mon.

Everybody knows this was heavily influenced by Bob Dylan, but did you also know that it was banned in Lilliput because the line "feeling two-foot small" was deemed offensive to the island's inhabitants?  Well of course not, because that's just dumb.  C'mon.

Back to Dylan, though.  The musical influence of Dylan is obvious, from the (nearly all) acoustic nature to the folky feel; perhaps even John's sometimes off-key vocal are an homage?  In addition to the music, though, we can hear Dylan's influence on John's lyrics.  While John had started to explore more personal themes on a few songs in this same time period (such as "I'm a Loser," also influenced by Dylan), this song seemed like the most significant break from the lighter lyrics on earlier works, becoming more introspective and delving much deeper into John's personal pain.  Some of the themes seen in many of John's later works - isolation, bitterness, vulnerability - seem to have first been explored here.  I guess I should mention that some have speculated that this was about Brian Epstein, or about John's alleged tryst with Epstein, but none of that has ever been confirmed.

As @Nigel Tufnel pointed out, this song is simpler than many that I have rated lower than it.  As a result, I don't have a ton to say about the musical style or structure.  What I love about it is more the overall feel; it hits some unidentifiable magic for me.  I love the folk ballad style in 3/4 time.  I love that the lyrics are evocative rather than obvious.  I love John's slightly off-key and subdued vocal performance that then gains strength in the later verses, and I love that in this case there aren't harmonies or double-tracked vocals that would detract from the gravelly lead.  I love the gradual addition of more percussion and other instrumentation, from the tambourine to the maracas to, of course, those flutes.  To me the most musically interesting part of the song is that final verse, which is all instrumental and acts as the finale to the song instead of going into another chorus; that was a bold and unexpected step at the time.

Fun fact:  This was the first Beatles song to feature a session musician, flautist Johnnie White.  (I pretend the Andy White session on "Love Me Do" did not happen.)  "Flautist" is a fun word to say.  Fla-u-tist.  Flau-tist.

Mr. krista:  "Obviously I really like it and especially what Lennon does with his voice, in that lower register like Alex Chilton in the Box Tops. Cool anthemic quality.  Singing in that register means everybody can sing that song.  All folk songs should be in that key."

Suggested cover:  Since @JZilla just rejoined the thread, this is a good time for Eddie Vedder.  So many covers by him of this song, but I guess this is "official"?  I like this live version quite a bit.  
I also had this at 21.  You finally got one right!  Thanks for all this K4!  I check in three or four times a day and every time I do I get another great song stuck in my head for a few hours.

I’m going to be a while; gobs of work to do first. :(  

#20 choice is firm but need to write it up.  Only question is whether I redact Mr krista’s particularly tasteless comment on it.

I’m going to be a while; gobs of work to do first. :(  

#20 choice is firm but need to write it up.  Only question is whether I redact Mr krista’s particularly tasteless comment on it.
Who are you, Robert Mueller? Be the fun guy.  The Manafort lawyer who forgets how to redact.

Don’t redact the tasteless. There’s plenty on tasteful in here to balance it out.

Just moving on from She Said She Said after listening to it about 3700 times. Trying to think of what the musical equivalent would’ve been for me coming up that Helter Skelter was for the Twist and Shout crowd in what...’68 or so? Not sure there’s ever been one.

Didn’t submit a list but these last handful would’ve killed it. I hadn’t ever heard some of these otherwise. It blows my mind what range these guys covered. Not to mention in a relatively short amount of time. 

Have a great weekend all!

21.  You've Got To Hide Your Love Away (Help!, 1965)

C'mon.  I realize some Beatles songs are love/hate, but this has to be one that nobody hates, right?  Every person in the world sings along starting with that "Hey!", don't they?  C'mon.

Everybody knows this was heavily influenced by Bob Dylan, but did you also know that it was banned in Lilliput because the line "feeling two-foot small" was deemed offensive to the island's inhabitants?  Well of course not, because that's just dumb.  C'mon.

Back to Dylan, though.  The musical influence of Dylan is obvious, from the (nearly all) acoustic nature to the folky feel; perhaps even John's sometimes off-key vocal are an homage?  In addition to the music, though, we can hear Dylan's influence on John's lyrics.  While John had started to explore more personal themes on a few songs in this same time period (such as "I'm a Loser," also influenced by Dylan), this song seemed like the most significant break from the lighter lyrics on earlier works, becoming more introspective and delving much deeper into John's personal pain.  Some of the themes seen in many of John's later works - isolation, bitterness, vulnerability - seem to have first been explored here.  I guess I should mention that some have speculated that this was about Brian Epstein, or about John's alleged tryst with Epstein, but none of that has ever been confirmed.

As @Nigel Tufnel pointed out, this song is simpler than many that I have rated lower than it.  As a result, I don't have a ton to say about the musical style or structure.  What I love about it is more the overall feel; it hits some unidentifiable magic for me.  I love the folk ballad style in 3/4 time.  I love that the lyrics are evocative rather than obvious.  I love John's slightly off-key and subdued vocal performance that then gains strength in the later verses, and I love that in this case there aren't harmonies or double-tracked vocals that would detract from the gravelly lead.  I love the gradual addition of more percussion and other instrumentation, from the tambourine to the maracas to, of course, those flutes.  To me the most musically interesting part of the song is that final verse, which is all instrumental and acts as the finale to the song instead of going into another chorus; that was a bold and unexpected step at the time.

Fun fact:  This was the first Beatles song to feature a session musician, flautist Johnnie White.  (I pretend the Andy White session on "Love Me Do" did not happen.)  "Flautist" is a fun word to say.  Fla-u-tist.  Flau-tist.

Mr. krista:  "Obviously I really like it and especially what Lennon does with his voice, in that lower register like Alex Chilton in the Box Tops. Cool anthemic quality.  Singing in that register means everybody can sing that song.  All folk songs should be in that key."

Suggested cover:  Since @JZilla just rejoined the thread, this is a good time for Eddie Vedder.  So many covers by him of this song, but I guess this is "official"?  I like this live version quite a bit.  
I went back to see if you'd picked Vedder's cover of "I've Got A Feeling".. funny you say there that he overplays the vocal, because I feel that way about this one too

Better live, in both cases

@Tremendous Upside *HHEEYYY* we're talking about Pearl Jam, drink twice up there!   :banned:  

Last edited by a moderator:
I went back to see if you'd picked Vedder's cover of "I've Got A Feeling".. funny you say there that he overplays the vocal, because I feel that way about this one too

Better live, in both cases

@Tremendous Upside *HHEEYYY* we're talking about Pearl Jam, drink twice up there!   :banned:  
I met Sean twice:  once at a NY cornhole, and then briefly later when he was in town for a PJ concert and I got him tickets for a Cubs game.  Such a great guy.  I must have sent him something from Amazon once, because he still shows up in my address book there, and I refuse to delete the listing.   :banned:  to Sean.

I suspect this is one of the consensus top three for which my ranking won't move the needle, so here we go!

20.  While My Guitar Gently Weeps (White Album, 1968)

George's inspiration for this song began with a notion he gleaned from I Ching:  "In the West we think of coincidence as being something that just happens...  But the Eastern concept is that whatever happens is all meant to be, and that there's no such thing as coincidence - every little item that's going down has a purpose....I decided to write a song based on the first thing I saw upon opening any book – as it would be relative to that moment, at that time.  I picked up a book at random, opened it – saw 'gently weeps' – then laid the book down again and started the song."  I likewise decided to write a song based on this inspiration, so just now opened my favorite book, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, stabbed my finger in without looking, and got:  "Mongolian" and "cheese."  I'm not sure I'm going to get the same masterpiece out of these two words, but I'll do my best.

The introduction to this song is one of my favorites in any Beatles composition; there's something about the way it builds that's like no other.  (Yes, I did that.)  Those sometimes-doubled piano notes begin a driving tempo, with the guitars and hi-hat adding to this progression toward what we know is going to be exciting.  While I love the groove of the verses, my favorite part of the song is that bridge, especially the double-tracked soaring vocals and the organ on those high notes.  I think the transitions on this song are especially good, especially the last note of the second verse becoming the first note of the guitar solo.  With each transition, the song seems to become fuller and more infectious, as more instrumentation is added and the energy increases, building to that wonderful moaning fade-out.  George's vocal sounds more confident and wildly more expressive on this song than I hear in his prior work; to me, with the possible exception of "Here Comes The Sun," he's never sounded better on a Beatles track.  

I expect that what many people love here is the guitar solo, but I'd find the song just as appealing without it.  Though I don't feel as strongly about it as Mr. krista apparently does (below), I would love this song even more if it were George on the lead guitar.  I'm just such a fan of George's style and manner of expressing himself through his guitar, and I'd like to have heard the entire song as being an extension of George's emotions instead of what I find so on-the-nose as to be a little wan and colorless.  George did initially try to do a backward guitar solo himself, such as he'd pioneered in "I'm Only Sleeping," and during earlier sessions also had John on electric guitar instead, but he wasn't satisfied with any of these early recordings, in part because he (likely correctly) thought the others weren't taking the song seriously or giving much effort to it.  A bit bummed out, George had an idea while driving into London with Eric Clapton, and he asked Clapton to perform the solo instead.  Clapton recorded the solo in one take, with a bunch of flanging added later at his request to make it sound more Beatles-y.  Credit to him, then, for giving George some encouragement when the other Beatles weren't; he also lifted the spirits of the group generally during the otherwise tense sessions.  Paul recalls Clapton being nice, accommodating, and allowing them all to have "good fun" for a while. 

Dozens of recordings of this song were made and scrapped with a variety of instrumentation, different line-ups, different almost everything.  I usually don't post any of these early versions in my write-ups, mostly because I'm already taking so much time and valuable FBG space with each one, but the first take of this song, with only George and Paul, is special. George's vocal is spectacular!

Mr. krista:  "The weeping guitar is just the cheesiest effect. And I feel like bringing Clapton in gives this veneer of professionalism that makes it so boring.  Outside of Cream and the Yardbirds, he is just so ####### boring. They bring him in just to en-boring something.  I don’t know, this is rough-edged and exciting and seemed to express the artist. Let’s just spread wax over it all and look, I’m making the guitar weep.  Mememememe.  Listen, it’s like weeping.  ####### hack. I wish he’d fallen out the window."

Suggested cover:  Aw, you know I'm not going to post anything but this.  

20.  While My Guitar Gently Weeps (White Album, 1968)

George's inspiration for this song began with a notion he gleaned from I Ching:  "In the West we think of coincidence as being something that just happens...  But the Eastern concept is that whatever happens is all meant to be, and that there's no such thing as coincidence - every little item that's going down has a purpose....I decided to write a song based on the first thing I saw upon opening any book – as it would be relative to that moment, at that time.  I picked up a book at random, opened it – saw 'gently weeps' – then laid the book down again and started the song."  I likewise decided to write a song based on this inspiration, so just now opened my favorite book, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, stabbed my finger in without looking, and got:  "Mongolian" and "cheese."  I'm not sure I'm going to get the same masterpiece out of these two words, but I'll do my best.
While My Mongolian Gently Cheese  :headbang:

Two more knocked out.  Down to 15 if we don't count Mrs. Punk (whom I've listed but probably shouldn't be officially eligible) and the two who chose the song that I stated in the first post wasn't my #1. ;)  

1. simey – Abbey Road medley
  2. Mister CIA – She Said She Said
  3. timschochet – Paperback Writer
  4. pecorino – Hey Jude
  5. Binky the Doormat – In My Life
  6. wikkidpissah – Taxman
  7. Dr. Octopus – Got To Get You Into My Life
  8. Nigel Tufnel – You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away
  9. Uruk-Hai – Ticket to Ride
  10. Dinsy Ejotuz – Let It Be
  11. Tom Hagen – Eleanor Rigby
  12. Spock – Rain
  13. Leroy Hoard – A Day in the Life
  14. rockaction  - I Want to Hold Your Hand
  15. Ted Lange as Your Bartender – In My Life
  16. shuke – Abbey Road medley
  17. Alex P Keaton – Something
  18. Getzlaf15 – With A Little Help From My Friends
  19. zamboni – While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  20. neal cassady – While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  21. Shaft41 – Hey Bulldog
  22. Ilov80s – Norwegian Wood
  23. Officer Pete Malloy – I Want to Hold Your Hand
  24. Godsbrother – Dear Prudence
  25. ManofSteelhead – Eleanor Rigby
  26. mike9289 – I’m Looking Through You
  27. heckmanm: Eleanor Rigby
  28. Atomic Punk – A Day in the Life
  29. [Mrs. Punk – In My Life]
  30. bananafish – Abbey Road medley
  31. bonzai – Abbey Road medley
  32. fatguy – Here Comes the Sun
  33. ScottNorwood- Yesterday
  34. Sebowski – I’m So Tired

I just noticed that, of the four songs that are guaranteed in the top 10 so far, three are songs no one picked as my #1, and the other is the song I already stated wasn't my #1.  🤔

I dont agree with him, but I would seriously enjoy having a drink with Mr. Krista... I bet you get certain looks on your face that are identical to my wife when I go on similar rants.

Oh, and your ranking if this song sucks, boo, hiss, asian massage parlor joke done in taste inserted here, and so on...

I dont agree with him, but I would seriously enjoy having a drink with Mr. Krista... I bet you get certain looks on your face that are identical to my wife when I go on similar rants.

Oh, and your ranking if this song sucks, boo, hiss, asian massage parlor joke done in taste inserted here, and so on...
Careful.   :oldunsure:

I laughed way more than I should have at Tanner's "uses that mouth to kiss Tom Brady" joke, though.

1 - 

2 -

3 - 

4 - 

5 - 

6 - Don't Let Me Down

7 - 

8 - The Ballad Of John And Yoko

9 - I Am The Walrus

10 - While My Guitar Gently Weeps

11 - 

12 - Something

13 - You've Got To Hide Your Love Away

14 - Paperback Writer

15 - 

16 - 

17 - The Long And Winding Road

18 - 

19 - Happiness Is A Warm Gun

20 - 

21 - I Want You (She's So Heavy)

22 - The Fool On The Hill

23 - 

24 - Eleanor Rigby

25 - Oh Darling

1 - 

2 -

3 - 

4 - 

5 - 

6 - Don't Let Me Down

7 - 

8 - The Ballad Of John And Yoko

9 - I Am The Walrus

10 - While My Guitar Gently Weeps

11 - 

12 - Something

13 - You've Got To Hide Your Love Away

14 - Paperback Writer

15 - 

16 - 

17 - The Long And Winding Road

18 - 

19 - Happiness Is A Warm Gun

20 - 

21 - I Want You (She's So Heavy)

22 - The Fool On The Hill

23 - 

24 - Eleanor Rigby

25 - Oh Darling
impressive

19.  I Want To Hold Your Hand (single, 1963)

"I Want To Hold Your Hand" knocked "She Loves You" off the top spot on the UK charts, selling over a million copies in advance of its release!  While Beatlemania was in full swing in the UK, it hadn't blossomed much yet in the US.  Maybe everybody knows the background of this song, but in case someone wandered into the thread from Mars or Mississippi...  An interview with the Beatles and story about their UK success was aired on CBS News on December 10, 1963, and a teenager viewer named Marsha Albert wrote to Carroll James, a DJ in DC, asking him to play something from the Beatles.  James secured a copy of the song in advance of its official release and asked Albert onto the show to introduce it, which she did with the now-famous words, "Ladies and gentlemen, for the first time on the air in the United States, here are The Beatles singing 'I Want To Hold Your Hand.'"  Soon the song was being played by DJs around the country, and Capitol advanced its release to accommodate the overwhelming response, selling over a million copies in ten days.  It quickly became the first Beatles song to hit #1 in the US, coincidentally being replaced by "She Loves You" after a seven-week run.  

It's hard to imagine now how monumental it was at that time for a British band to maintain this kind of presence on the US charts, but it just didn't happen before that.  Even for the Beatles, three singles - "Please Please Me," "From Me To You," and "She Loves You" - had previously been released mostly to yawns.  The Beatles were in the midst of their Paris shows when word came in that they had hit #1 in the US, and Paul said they all jumped on Mal Evans and tried to ride him around the hotel room while, as Ringo described it, they “all just started acting like people from Texas, hollering and shouting ‘Yahoo!’”  A US tour was quickly organized, including the iconic first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show that had more than 73 million viewers!  There were only like 73.5 million people in the US at that time, meaning more than 99% of Americans were watching, including infants and prisoners.  Sure, I totally made that up.  But holy hell, 73 million was a lot of viewers in 1963.

As their works tended to be at the time, this was a true collaboration between Paul and John - "eyeball to eyeball" as they termed it.  It was so well-crafted by the first time they brought it into the studio that Geoff Emerick thought to himself how much time they must have put into writing and rehearsing it, and though they made 17 takes, the Beatles were on point from the very beginning, sounding polished and confident.  George even laid down his guitar licks to everyone's immediate delight.  Emerick described the atmosphere during this recording as joyous, such as when they recorded the handclaps:  "As I watched the four Beatles gathered around a single mic, clowning around as they added the part, it was apparent to me how much fun they were having, how much they loved doing what they were doing."  

That intoxicating energy exudes from this song, as does the dollop of confidence they'd gain with their success in the UK market.  The song is best enjoyed for me as just a "feel," to get swept up in the excitement and fever and not think about it too deeply.  But since I am still me, I'll note a few things I particularly love.  Like several of my highly ranked songs, it starts with an infectious hook and then builds excitement, though this one is unusual in that respect; though it's hard to imagine not knowing what happens after those opening guitar licks, for just a second try to put yourself in the place of someone who's never heard this song before.  Where is it going?  How do I dance to this?  It's only ~5-6 seconds in that the song starts to resolve itself and give you an idea where it's going.  Like "She Loves You," it gives me the feeling of having been plopped into the middle of something wondrous that I don't yet quite understand.

The verses then start out normally enough, with some melodic unison singing punctuated by fun handclaps, until we get to that last line, where suddenly there's a break into an extremely high harmony for "I want to hold your hand," followed by - oh my god it's another reference to a drum fill but here we go - a phenomenal little drum fill.  Things turn normal again for most of a line in unison, whew, until again the vocal breaks into an unexpected harmony that descends in a staggered pattern.  What just happened here?  I don't know.  Luckily, we then go into a mellow bridge, and all is right with the world until oh my god there are those harmonies again and they're getting kind of loud and aggressively ascending and why are they shouting "I get high!" at me??  Relax, they're actually saying, "I can't hide," though Bob Dylan misheard those lyrics as "I get high" until the Beatles corrected him.  (I did not make that part up.)  Then we settle back into some verses and another bridge and everything goes fine because the harmonies are more consistent and we get to that "ha-a-a-a-a-and" part that all seems perfectly normal and is in waltz time and so no, mom, they are not bad boys, they are nice because look they are in suits and flicking their heads around cutely and that was 3/4 time and so you see this is all perfectly safe and you needn't worry and screeeeaam shrieeeeeek I'm gonna die if I can't make babies with them RIGHT NOW.  

Mr. krista:  "That’s a song that has gone up in my estimation. I love the chords that open it. I’m not 100% sure the rest of the song lives up to it, since it seems like something overwhelming is going to happen but it’s just 'I want to hold your hand.'  I feel like that’s a substitute phrase for something desperate and full of pathos."

Suggested cover:  Al Green

Two more eliminated; down to 13 eligible entries:

1. simey – Abbey Road medley
  2. Mister CIA – She Said She Said
  3. timschochet – Paperback Writer
  4. pecorino – Hey Jude
  5. Binky the Doormat – In My Life
  6. wikkidpissah – Taxman
  7. Dr. Octopus – Got To Get You Into My Life
  8. Nigel Tufnel – You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away
  9. Uruk-Hai – Ticket to Ride
  10. Dinsy Ejotuz – Let It Be
  11. Tom Hagen – Eleanor Rigby
  12. Spock – Rain
  13. Leroy Hoard – A Day in the Life
  14. rockaction  - I Want to Hold Your Hand
  15. Ted Lange as Your Bartender – In My Life
  16. shuke – Abbey Road medley
  17. Alex P Keaton – Something
  18. Getzlaf15 – With A Little Help From My Friends
  19. zamboni – While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  20. neal cassady – While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  21. Shaft41 – Hey Bulldog
  22. Ilov80s – Norwegian Wood
  23. Officer Pete Malloy – I Want to Hold Your Hand
  24. Godsbrother – Dear Prudence
  25. ManofSteelhead – Eleanor Rigby
  26. mike9289 – I’m Looking Through You
  27. heckmanm: Eleanor Rigby
  28. Atomic Punk – A Day in the Life
  29. [Mrs. Punk – In My Life]
  30. bananafish – Abbey Road medley
  31. bonzai – Abbey Road medley
  32. fatguy – Here Comes the Sun
  33. ScottNorwood- Yesterday
  34. Sebowski – I’m So Tired

krista4 said:
19.  I Want To Hold Your Hand (single, 1963)

"I Want To Hold Your Hand" knocked "She Loves You" off the top spot on the UK charts, selling over a million copies in advance of its release!  While Beatlemania was in full swing in the UK, it hadn't blossomed much yet in the US.  Maybe everybody knows the background of this song, but in case someone wandered into the thread from Mars or Mississippi...  An interview with the Beatles and story about their UK success was aired on CBS News on December 10, 1963, and a teenager viewer named Marsha Albert wrote to Carroll James, a DJ in DC, asking him to play something from the Beatles.  James secured a copy of the song in advance of its official release and asked Albert onto the show to introduce it, which she did with the now-famous words, "Ladies and gentlemen, for the first time on the air in the United States, here are The Beatles singing 'I Want To Hold Your Hand.'"  Soon the song was being played by DJs around the country, and Capitol advanced its release to accommodate the overwhelming response, selling over a million copies in ten days.  It quickly became the first Beatles song to hit #1 in the US, coincidentally being replaced by "She Loves You" after a seven-week run.  

It's hard to imagine now how monumental it was at that time for a British band to maintain this kind of presence on the US charts, but it just didn't happen before that.  Even for the Beatles, three singles - "Please Please Me," "From Me To You," and "She Loves You" - had previously been released mostly to yawns.  The Beatles were in the midst of their Paris shows when word came in that they had hit #1 in the US, and Paul said they all jumped on Mal Evans and tried to ride him around the hotel room while, as Ringo described it, they “all just started acting like people from Texas, hollering and shouting ‘Yahoo!’”  A US tour was quickly organized, including the iconic first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show that had more than 73 million viewers!  There were only like 73.5 million people in the US at that time, meaning more than 99% of Americans were watching, including infants and prisoners.  Sure, I totally made that up.  But holy hell, 73 million was a lot of viewers in 1963.

As their works tended to be at the time, this was a true collaboration between Paul and John - "eyeball to eyeball" as they termed it.  It was so well-crafted by the first time they brought it into the studio that Geoff Emerick thought to himself how much time they must have put into writing and rehearsing it, and though they made 17 takes, the Beatles were on point from the very beginning, sounding polished and confident.  George even laid down his guitar licks to everyone's immediate delight.  Emerick described the atmosphere during this recording as joyous, such as when they recorded the handclaps:  "As I watched the four Beatles gathered around a single mic, clowning around as they added the part, it was apparent to me how much fun they were having, how much they loved doing what they were doing."  

That intoxicating energy exudes from this song, as does the dollop of confidence they'd gain with their success in the UK market.  The song is best enjoyed for me as just a "feel," to get swept up in the excitement and fever and not think about it too deeply.  But since I am still me, I'll note a few things I particularly love.  Like several of my highly ranked songs, it starts with an infectious hook and then builds excitement, though this one is unusual in that respect; though it's hard to imagine not knowing what happens after those opening guitar licks, for just a second try to put yourself in the place of someone who's never heard this song before.  Where is it going?  How do I dance to this?  It's only ~5-6 seconds in that the song starts to resolve itself and give you an idea where it's going.  Like "She Loves You," it gives me the feeling of having been plopped into the middle of something wondrous that I don't yet quite understand.

The verses then start out normally enough, with some melodic unison singing punctuated by fun handclaps, until we get to that last line, where suddenly there's a break into an extremely high harmony for "I want to hold your hand," followed by - oh my god it's another reference to a drum fill but here we go - a phenomenal little drum fill.  Things turn normal again for most of a line in unison, whew, until again the vocal breaks into an unexpected harmony that descends in a staggered pattern.  What just happened here?  I don't know.  Luckily, we then go into a mellow bridge, and all is right with the world until oh my god there are those harmonies again and they're getting kind of loud and aggressively ascending and why are they shouting "I get high!" at me??  Relax, they're actually saying, "I can't hide," though Bob Dylan misheard those lyrics as "I get high" until the Beatles corrected him.  (I did not make that part up.)  Then we settle back into some verses and another bridge and everything goes fine because the harmonies are more consistent and we get to that "ha-a-a-a-a-and" part that all seems perfectly normal and is in waltz time and so no, mom, they are not bad boys, they are nice because look they are in suits and flicking their heads around cutely and that was 3/4 time and so you see this is all perfectly safe and you needn't worry and screeeeaam shrieeeeeek I'm gonna die if I can't make babies with them RIGHT NOW.  

Mr. krista:  "That’s a song that has gone up in my estimation. I love the chords that open it. I’m not 100% sure the rest of the song lives up to it, since it seems like something overwhelming is going to happen but it’s just 'I want to hold your hand.'  I feel like that’s a substitute phrase for something desperate and full of pathos."

Suggested cover:  Al Green
Well done, Krista.

Have a blessed day.

I'm going to make that my last write-up of the day.  I had to do a lot of thinking for work today, so my pretty little head hurts...the thinking.  I might update some first post links for Sebowski with my remaining hours.  

My hiking plans for tomorrow were canceled due to weather and wimpiness of my friends, so I'll crank a few out then.  Sunday is full of hiking and social activities, and Tuesday/Wednesday are pretty much out next week due to work/social stuff.  I'd expect to be hitting #1 by late next week.

Oh goodness, I thought we’d overcome the whininess.  Bless your little hearts.
I blame it on the ambien. 😩

Great progress here. Unfortunately, I have been out of commission alllll day! 

I want to thank all of the great people that baby sat me last night. 👶

I am never touching ambien again! 

I would also like to to explain some of what I posted, but it still confuses me. 

However, I will share a piece of what I PMed to K4 when I awoke :

Hey Krista, 

I just woke up. Reread your thread from last night. 

Urgh. I'm real sorry for the derail. I thought... hmmm.. I'm not sure what I thought. Some of the replies I remember, some I don't and a few I remember differently. 

For example, I have no real idea what a "brief" really is, but, apparently, I've spent 17 years helping write them? WTF? 

I did spend 17 years working closely with lawyers in our company's defense, and the adrenaline, drinking and hours were a part of it during busy periods around trials, hearings, etc., but I have no clue why I latched onto "briefs"? Lol. 

I'd like to apologize and clarify my attempted replies to the wonderful people who baby sat me last night, including you, but I don't want to wreck your thread again. 

Thus, before I post again, I wanted to get your input. 

Finally, your awesome thread has really helped me during a rough time. 

Thanks a lot for that and for being such a great person and friend. 

K gave her blessings for me to jabber away as much as I needed, but I decided not to try to clarify, as I don't think I can. 🤔

Thus, sorry for any confusion and thanks for all the help! 🙂

Now, I shall return to my normal nonsense. 😁

What’s up, long time no talk. Aren’t the Beatles great?
Heya man! 

You ask - What's up? 

Heh. Read the past few pages of my posts, and maybe you can tell me? 🤔

Seriously, it's better than I made it sound. I'm gaining weight again and my pain has been lessing. 

Now, regarding the Beatles - Great? - Naw. They suxxors! 

😜

Good to see you again, my friend! 😎

Heya man! 

You ask - What's up? 

Heh. Read the past few pages of my posts, and maybe you can tell me? 🤔

Seriously, it's better than I made it sound. I'm gaining weight again and my pain has been lessing. 

Now, regarding the Beatles - Great? - Naw. They suxxors! 

😜

Good to see you again, my friend! 😎
Ambien seems awful. I mean I have drank and smoked too much and posted stupid #### here but Im never touching Ambien.  I am glad you also decided to ditch it. 

Users who are viewing this thread