What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is it ever ok to use a belt to discipline your child? (1 Viewer)

Is it acceptable to use a belt or other object to discipline your child?

• Yes as long as it's not excessive

Votes: 120 21.4%
  • Yes, but only for very rare occasions

Votes: 107 19.0%
  • No, never

Votes: 316 56.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 19 3.4%

• Total voters
It's child abuse, and just because you were abused as a child doesn't mean it's ok to beat your child too.
:lmao: I never got "beat", I got spanked. I didnt fear my parents, had a good upbringing, never wanted for anything, and have no bad childhood memories.

But I was "abused" because I was spanked a few times? Riiiight.
you must be repressing some pretty sick ####.

it's not your fault.

If you can't figure out how to keep your kids in line without resorting to striking them, I feel sad for you.

My Grandfather used to make us go out and pick a switch off a bush in the front yard.It wasn't so much the physical pain, as my Grandfather would never "abuse" us. It had more to do with the process of trying to figure out which branch would hurt less.From that point on, all he had to do was talk about the bush and we knew to cool it.
I guarantee you with one look I get the same reaction and I don't lay a hand on my son.

If you can't figure out how to keep your kids in line without resorting to striking them, I feel sad for you.
I posed a question asking for better alternatives, but no responses to that yet. Feel free to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Grandfather used to make us go out and pick a switch off a bush in the front yard.It wasn't so much the physical pain, as my Grandfather would never "abuse" us. It had more to do with the process of trying to figure out which branch would hurt less.From that point on, all he had to do was talk about the bush and we knew to cool it.
I guarantee you with one look I get the same reaction and I don't lay a hand on my son.
I think I would rather have my child fear a stick than fear my gaze.

I think I would rather have my child fear a stick than fear my gaze.
Yeah, I think we're getting a little insight into the non-hitters. They just like to emotionally abuse their kids.

So your son fears you and you're proud about this? That's troubling to say the least.You had to have done something in the past for your son to equate the 'look' with something.

I posed a question asking for better alternatives, but no responses to that yet. Feel free to start.
I'm pretty sure I answered you.
You were the only one. I thought you were being sarcastic in that response, but yes, time outs are one option. But I'm looking for more suggestions, especially since time outs don't always work. In my experience, my daughter considers time-outs a game. It's not effective and I was having a difficult time finding something that works. And I also look for an option for her avoiding bedtime, since I'm trying to get her into a pattern to prepare for school soon. Time outs aren't the best option for bed time. It's like rewarding her bad behavior by allowing her to stay up to do the time for the time-out... which is what she wants. Lately, my best success has come from taking away things she likes to do. Or if not that, making her favorite toys or such disappear for awhile.I'd like to hear what other things parents in the thread have found that works as an alternative. That way the whole thread isn't about one side bashing the other for being bad parents just because they don't agree with their parenting style.

Set boundaries and don't bend. If they cross them, let them know the consequences (no TV, or no games, etc) and follow through. Say "no" a thousand times until the crocodile tears make you say "yes" and you've just lost big time.Teach them, talk to them, let them know what behavior is expected, let them know about household dangers and their consequences, keep dangerous items out of reach, and support good behavior as much as you punish bad behavior. Guide them - assume that "spare the rod, spoil the child" means a shepherd's crook and not a stick. Know who their friends are, get to know their friends' parents, be involved. But let them play and be themselves. It's a delicate balance; you want them to learn and discover and grow on their own and not smother them. Let them know that you're there for them and that they can come to you at any time for any reason with any question.If they do something dangerous or illegal, let them know that there are consequences. Break a window playing baseball? Guess where the money to fix it is coming from. Stealing? Return the stolen item and admit it to the store manager. Teach them to take responsibility for their actions.Those are a few to start.

We 'spank'. By that, a swat on the butt. Not multiple hits or over the knee. Not with an instrument. Enough to get their attention and sting momentarily.Occasionally it's a slap on the hand. Again, one swat.With our daughters, they have always known it could be a spanking/slap on the hand, a time out, something taken away, or loss of a privilege. We use spanking/slap on hand for very serious offenses, dangerous things, very willful and repeated disobedience. Time outs are usually used to remove them from a situation they can't act appropriately in. Loss of privileges or especially effective when their actions have resulted in the loss of someone else's freedom/property etc (like stealing a toy, intentionally breaking something etc).I said no to the belt. I think using an instrument changes it. I don't know why.
this. An open handed swat on the ### is an attention getter - it let's them know that they messed up big time, and it makes the consequences immediate. Time outs and all the other stuff - those can happen too, but you've gotta have something in the arsenal that goes above and beyond.

Set boundaries and don't bend. If they cross them, let them know the consequences (no TV, or no games, etc) and follow through. Say "no" a thousand times until the crocodile tears make you say "yes" and you've just lost big time.Teach them, talk to them, let them know what behavior is expected, let them know about household dangers and their consequences, keep dangerous items out of reach, and support good behavior as much as you punish bad behavior. Guide them - assume that "spare the rod, spoil the child" means a shepherd's crook and not a stick. Know who their friends are, get to know their friends' parents, be involved. But let them play and be themselves. It's a delicate balance; you want them to learn and discover and grow on their own and not smother them. Let them know that you're there for them and that they can come to you at any time for any reason with any question.If they do something dangerous or illegal, let them know that there are consequences. Break a window playing baseball? Guess where the money to fix it is coming from. Stealing? Return the stolen item and admit it to the store manager. Teach them to take responsibility for their actions.Those are a few to start.
Sounds like good advice. :thumbup:

Perhaps I am missing something, but how you control a kid if he has 0 fear of ever being stuck by you?

Dad "Go put the money back that you stole out of mom's purse."

Kid "No."

Dad "Well, no Xbox/Ipad/whatever. You are punished" *parasaurolophus gaze*

Kid "No." *Takes Xbox back to his room".

I was a pretty good kid, one night I thought it would be funny to lock my dad in the garage while he was working, I was 9 or so....

Yeah that was not cool

wifes friend has a 16 year old, I want to beat, they are"hippyish", kids talks to them and everyone like a #######.

I'm on board with dentist, society people need more beatings
Look, there is no black and white in here. Just because somebody gets spanked once doesn't mean they are abused. Your hippie friends probably don't discipline at all, and have a dooshy kid.

What I am saying is that all it takes is for your kids to know what is expected of them and know something they don't like will happen if they don't live up to that. To people defending the spanking and the belt because they turned out fine - I would bet a lot of that is because you lived in a house that had discipline. The spanking had nothing to do with the equation - it was all about you knowing you crossed a line and something was coming to you. I just believe that hitting has no positives. As somebody else stated - I would rather have had a wack across the ### then have my Nintendo or bike taken away. I think all kids have a trigger that you can take away from them for punishment. There is zero point in resorting to hands, belts, etc.. IMO if you do it as a reaction you have problems because you can't control your emotions, and I think it's even worse to have the advance thinking to go get something or take something off to strike your kid with. You have time to think about it, and it's still a good idea to you. Have some self control and act like you would dealing with any other human. I just don't get why you would treat your child any different than you would anybody else you have a relationship with.

Long story short - nobody is saying that you shouldn't have discipline, what people in here are saying (or at least I am) is that getting physical shouldn't be needed to get your point across to your child.
well, for starters, your relationship with your kids is different than it is with any other human. You are tasked with raising them and have a vested interest in how they turn out. That makes it different.

in the spanking/no spanking debate, there should be some consideration for age. I am pro-spanking for <10. When kids are over 10 or so, I don't think it has the same effect. When you can discriminate between a short term pain and a long-term punishment and rationalize that being spanked will hurt for 5-10 minutes tops, it no longer becomes a big deal. For smaller kids though, getting spanked could be the biggest thing ever.

I was a pretty good kid, one night I thought it would be funny to lock my dad in the garage while he was working, I was 9 or so....

Yeah that was not cool

wifes friend has a 16 year old, I want to beat, they are"hippyish", kids talks to them and everyone like a #######.

I'm on board with dentist, society people need more beatings
Look, there is no black and white in here. Just because somebody gets spanked once doesn't mean they are abused. Your hippie friends probably don't discipline at all, and have a dooshy kid.

What I am saying is that all it takes is for your kids to know what is expected of them and know something they don't like will happen if they don't live up to that. To people defending the spanking and the belt because they turned out fine - I would bet a lot of that is because you lived in a house that had discipline. The spanking had nothing to do with the equation - it was all about you knowing you crossed a line and something was coming to you. I just believe that hitting has no positives. As somebody else stated - I would rather have had a wack across the ### then have my Nintendo or bike taken away. I think all kids have a trigger that you can take away from them for punishment. There is zero point in resorting to hands, belts, etc.. IMO if you do it as a reaction you have problems because you can't control your emotions, and I think it's even worse to have the advance thinking to go get something or take something off to strike your kid with. You have time to think about it, and it's still a good idea to you. Have some self control and act like you would dealing with any other human. I just don't get why you would treat your child any different than you would anybody else you have a relationship with.

Long story short - nobody is saying that you shouldn't have discipline, what people in here are saying (or at least I am) is that getting physical shouldn't be needed to get your point across to your child.
well, for starters, your relationship with your kids is different than it is with any other human. You are tasked with raising them and have a vested interest in how they turn out. That makes it different.
Spanking or not, this is the crux of the issue. Not calling anyone out here, but a lot of parents don't take their role seriously enough in actively and consistently keeping their kids on the right path.

We correct our 1 year olds grammar. Not discipline, just 'say ran, not runned'. We have been criticized for it. 'Leave her alone. She's really good at talking.'

How the hell do you think she got that way?

Our 4 year old is easily the best behaved and most relationally sensitive kid in her preschool. Lots of that is her mothers disposition and the grace of God, but at least some if it is very intentional teaching and correction.

Children don't learn proper behavior as a result of being spanked. They learn to fear the negative consequence associated with a behavior. IMO those aren't the same thing. Using spanking isn't about discipline. Its about exerting authority. Parents turn to physical acts out of frustration when they don't know what else to do.

So your son fears you and you're proud about this? That's troubling to say the least.You had to have done something in the past for your son to equate the 'look' with something.
Who said anything about fear? He said his grandpa just had to talk about the bush and they knew to cool it. I can give my son a look and he knows to cool it. As far as having done something in the past, yes, of course. He has been taught that his actions have consequences, and those consequences are enforced. Most parents don't like non physical discipline because it is hard work for them and it is ongoing. My ex wife is terrible at it. She can take something away and give it back within two hours. I occasionally find a toy in a random place from 5 years ago. Gives us a good laugh actually. In fact about two weeks ago we found a nerf gun in the basement that had never been opened that I had taken away from him 2 years ago.We went to play laser tag once. We had already paid and were about ready to go in for our session. He talked back to his mom about something, and that was it. We left immediately. It was explained clearly to him why we were leaving and that his behavior was responsible for it.Frequently that is viewed as a waste of money, or punishing yourself, or whatever other excuses are made. You see this all the time. Parents are grocery shopping and their kids are asking for everything in the store and misbehaving. The parents just want to get out of the store and get their grocery shopping done so they cave and make deals. Buy them something to occupy them. They probably even spank them when they get home. I would have never put up with that. I leave the store and deal with the more important pressing issue. I act like a parent and figure out the grocery shopping another night or go back late at night.These actions are all harder on the parent, but better for the child.

Children don't learn proper behavior as a result of being spanked. They learn to fear the negative consequence associated with a behavior. IMO those aren't the same thing. Using spanking isn't about discipline. Its about exerting authority. Parents turn to physical acts out of frustration when they don't know what else to do.
Which is why it's more effective for younger kids who don't get the concept of theoretical future consequences. Part of discipline is introducing replacement consequences that are more immediate than the actual consequences of their actions which may not be experienced for a long time.All discipline at young ages is instilling dislike of a false consequence.

Never even had the urge to spank any of my kids with a belt. The closest I have come was when we were potty training them, if they soiled their pants I rubbed their nose in it and told them "Bad child".

The first and only time I spanked my daughter she was four years old and it was to stop the habit of running out in the street. She didn't do it in malice, it was really more of a game she played. We tried everything we could to get it to stop. We had short stern talks, long serious talks, took away toys, took away priveleges, after several weeks I resorted to slapping her hand, at first she laughed, so we went back to the other stuff. Nothing. So then I started slapping her hand hard enough for her to know I wasn't messing around. She still did it. Finally, she came within about a foot from my neighbor hitting her with his car and I grabbed her, walked her into the house, and spanked her bottom red. She stopped after that. It could have been the shock of almost getting hit by the car or it could have been the spanking, perhaps both. In a few years I'm sure she will better understand what a moving car can do to the human body. Until then I'm OK with fear of negative consequences dictating whether or not she runs out into the middle of the street. I love teaching my kids, but in order to teach them I have to make sure they are around to teach. Sometimes, if the slow, patient learning process isn't cutting it other measures have to be taken. Hopefully it's the last time I have to do it, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I felt it was neccesary.

The first and only time I spanked my daughter she was four years old and it was to stop the habit of running out in the street. She didn't do it in malice, it was really more of a game she played. We tried everything we could to get it to stop. We had short stern talks, long serious talks, took away toys, took away priveleges, after several weeks I resorted to slapping her hand, at first she laughed, so we went back to the other stuff. Nothing. So then I started slapping her hand hard enough for her to know I wasn't messing around. She still did it. Finally, she came within about a foot from my neighbor hitting her with his car and I grabbed her, walked her into the house, and spanked her bottom red. She stopped after that. It could have been the shock of almost getting hit by the car or it could have been the spanking, perhaps both. In a few years I'm sure she will better understand what a moving car can do to the human body. Until then I'm OK with fear of negative consequences dictating whether or not she runs out into the middle of the street. I love teaching my kids, but in order to teach them I have to make sure they are around to teach. Sometimes, if the slow, patient learning process isn't cutting it other measures have to be taken. Hopefully it's the last time I have to do it, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I felt it was neccesary.
This touches on a point I made in the other thread. This is the only time I believe in physical discipline. When the point you are trying to get across is for their own safety and wanting them to associate their behavior with physical pain, because there is the very real threat of it and they simply are not developed enough to understand.

One of four siblings here, almost every night the first three kids were beaten, except for

Sunday that was the old mans day of rest. We really had to mess up to get beat on Sunday but sometimes

that happened too.

The fourth child my parents decided no spankings just time-outs, taking stuff away, incentive programs etc. for

discipline. I'll let you guess which one is a burden on society.

For my children I would never beat, or even have them experience what I went through cause it wasn't nescerry(SP)

I have spanked them never more than twice. Works just fine for little ones under 10, over 10 no spankings just took stuff away and time-out and so far their fine.

Problem with kids today and alot of people under 40 is people don't want to parent their kids, they want to be their kids best friend.

One of four siblings here, almost every night the first three kids were beaten, except for

Sunday that was the old mans day of rest. We really had to mess up to get beat on Sunday but sometimes

that happened too.

The fourth child my parents decided no spankings just time-outs, taking stuff away, incentive programs etc. for

For my children I would never beat, or even have them experience what I went through cause it wasn't nescerry(SP)

I have spanked them never more than twice. Works just fine for little ones under 10, over 10 no spankings just took stuff away and time-out and so far their fine.

Problem with kids today and alot of people under 40 is people don't want to parent their kids, they want to be their kids best friend.
Sorry to hear.The second is definitely a big problem.

Perhaps I am missing something, but how you control a kid if he has 0 fear of ever being stuck by you? Dad "Go put the money back that you stole out of mom's purse."Kid "No."Dad "Well, no Xbox/Ipad/whatever. You are punished" *parasaurolophus gaze*Kid "No." *Takes Xbox back to his room".
Dad *Goes to room, takes Xbox from kid* "Like I said. No Xbox. Except now instead of one week it's two. Wanna try for three? And you now owe your mom an extra $10. That's coming out of your allowance. You need money for something? Ask us. And if you want to buy something that you can't ask us about, you probably shouldn't be buying it in the first place."Kid should have been told, repeatedly and early on, that going into mom's purse for any reason is unacceptable and that if they need anything, ask and it can be discussed.As far as control, when you have their respect and they know what their limits are, control is easy. And you don't need a belt to get there.

that happened too.

Do you think they would have been a burden on society if they received the same beatings? It sounds like an argument in favor of the beatings, but you don't do it yourself and say it wasn't necessary.

that happened too.

Do you think they would have been a burden on society if they received the same beatings? It sounds like an argument in favor of the beatings, but you don't do it yourself and say it wasn't necessary.
Case by case. Discipline is needed, exactly how its administered depends on the child and parent(s).

Perhaps I am missing something, but how you control a kid if he has 0 fear of ever being stuck by you?
How do I manage over 100 teenagers everyday for 6 hours with them having 0 fear of ever being struck by me? Further complicating things is that many of them receive no discipline at home from their parents. In my experience people generally respond with respect when shown respect.

Who said anything about fear? He said his grandpa just had to talk about the bush and they knew to cool it. I can give my son a look and he knows to cool it. As far as having done something in the past, yes, of course. He has been taught that his actions have consequences, and those consequences are enforced. Most parents don't like non physical discipline because it is hard work for them and it is ongoing. My ex wife is terrible at it. She can take something away and give it back within two hours. I occasionally find a toy in a random place from 5 years ago. Gives us a good laugh actually. In fact about two weeks ago we found a nerf gun in the basement that had never been opened that I had taken away from him 2 years ago.We went to play laser tag once. We had already paid and were about ready to go in for our session. He talked back to his mom about something, and that was it. We left immediately. It was explained clearly to him why we were leaving and that his behavior was responsible for it.Frequently that is viewed as a waste of money, or punishing yourself, or whatever other excuses are made. You see this all the time. Parents are grocery shopping and their kids are asking for everything in the store and misbehaving. The parents just want to get out of the store and get their grocery shopping done so they cave and make deals. Buy them something to occupy them. They probably even spank them when they get home. I would have never put up with that. I leave the store and deal with the more important pressing issue. I act like a parent and figure out the grocery shopping another night or go back late at night.These actions are all harder on the parent, but better for the child.
:goodposting:

that happened too.

Impossible for me to say,

I'm never in favor of beatings,

I say it wasn't necessary because

we almost never got into trouble,

but was beaten almost every night.

There was no CPS in our county until early 1980s

Just offering extreme cases and the three

of us turned out fine, not sure how. The one

who didn't get any beatings didn't. Go figure.

One needs only to look at the words we use to understand that the word 'beatings' goes way beyond 'discipline'.

The fact that some kids do well may be in spite of the beatings--not because of them.

If by "use" you mean hit them, I'd say no. If you use the belt to tie them up so they can't get away, yes.

I was a pretty good kid, one night I thought it would be funny to lock my dad in the garage while he was working, I was 9 or so....Yeah that was not coolwifes friend has a 16 year old, I want to beat, they are"hippyish", kids talks to them and everyone like a #######.I'm on board with dentist, society people need more beatings
Look, there is no black and white in here. Just because somebody gets spanked once doesn't mean they are abused. Your hippie friends probably don't discipline at all, and have a dooshy kid. What I am saying is that all it takes is for your kids to know what is expected of them and know something they don't like will happen if they don't live up to that. To people defending the spanking and the belt because they turned out fine - I would bet a lot of that is because you lived in a house that had discipline. The spanking had nothing to do with the equation - it was all about you knowing you crossed a line and something was coming to you. I just believe that hitting has no positives. As somebody else stated - I would rather have had a wack across the ### then have my Nintendo or bike taken away. I think all kids have a trigger that you can take away from them for punishment. There is zero point in resorting to hands, belts, etc.. IMO if you do it as a reaction you have problems because you can't control your emotions, and I think it's even worse to have the advance thinking to go get something or take something off to strike your kid with. You have time to think about it, and it's still a good idea to you. Have some self control and act like you would dealing with any other human. I just don't get why you would treat your child any different than you would anybody else you have a relationship with. Long story short - nobody is saying that you shouldn't have discipline, what people in here are saying (or at least I am) is that getting physical shouldn't be needed to get your point across to your child.
Well I agree discipline is needed. I believe a spanking here and there is fine. Like I posted earlier, I was disciplined that way on occasion. That being said my wife is against that completely so my son and my daughter have never been punished that way. A few times when my son was younger I slapped his hand when he was grabbing for the stove but that was almost a reaction.I know some people say kids shouldn't be afraid of their parents but I personally feel a little bit of fear is a good thing. You can have respect and fear. I was afraid of my father growing up but just enough to not #### up. It's not like he would walk in a room and I would be afraid, it was more I was out being a ####### and if my pop found out, I was ####ed. Of course as I got older a resented him but then that passed too and we have a great relationship. I know now he just didn't want a kid to be a #### up like he was, yes they were a tad strict in some areas :shrug:

Plenty of parents have raised happy, well adjusted kids, and still maintain good relationships with their kids. And they used belts or paddles.So yes it's ok.I personally don't think I'll ever use a belt, but that's me.

Spanking is a failure of parenting. Hitting a kid with a belt is an even bigger failure. You're using violence to communicate because you've failed to communicate in other ways, or worse, you never tried. Some parents arent skilled at communicating, though, and violence is a very clear kind of communication. It might work better than YOUR alternatives, even if it doesn't work better than ALL of the alternatives.

I don't spank my kid, but I fail as a parent in plenty of other ways. I try to fix those areas, as I would hope most parents would.

I don't think spanking is child abuse, but I do think some kids carry emotional baggage from it. If it makes them question themselves and how their parents could hit them, or teaches them to avoid punishment instead of doing the right thing to do the right thing, or leaves them with shame, it does cause damage.

Lastly, just because the kid fixes the behavior that caused the problem, doesn't meant the spanking worked. You're giving the kid a strong negative reinforcement right now, but asking them to fill in the blanks themselves as to why they shouldn't have done what they did. Its a bandaid. And if you explain it after the spanking, what have you done differently than someone who explained it before the spanking?

From a personal standpoint, I was not hit by a belt. My brother was. It caused huge problems for him, he had low self esteem, and is now mentally ill with father issues. So my experience with spanking has been all negative. But I have seen plenty of kids who were spanked and turned out all right. Its not the end all be all of parenting failure, but I can't understand why someone would plan to become a spanking parent.

Spanking is a failure of parenting. Hitting a kid with a belt is an even bigger failure. You're using violence to communicate because you've failed to communicate in other ways, or worse, you never tried. Some parents arent skilled at communicating, though, and violence is a very clear kind of communication. It might work better than YOUR alternatives, even if it doesn't work better than ALL of the alternatives.I don't spank my kid, but I fail as a parent in plenty of other ways. I try to fix those areas, as I would hope most parents would. I don't think spanking is child abuse, but I do think some kids carry emotional baggage from it. If it makes them question themselves and how their parents could hit them, or teaches them to avoid punishment instead of doing the right thing to do the right thing, or leaves them with shame, it does cause damage. Lastly, just because the kid fixes the behavior that caused the problem, doesn't meant the spanking worked. You're giving the kid a strong negative reinforcement right now, but asking them to fill in the blanks themselves as to why they shouldn't have done what they did. Its a bandaid. And if you explain it after the spanking, what have you done differently than someone who explained it before the spanking?From a personal standpoint, I was not hit by a belt. My brother was. It caused huge problems for him, he had low self esteem, and is now mentally ill with father issues. So my experience with spanking has been all negative. But I have seen plenty of kids who were spanked and turned out all right. Its not the end all be all of parenting failure, but I can't understand why someone would plan to become a spanking parent.

Spanking is a failure of parenting. Hitting a kid with a belt is an even bigger failure. You're using violence to communicate because you've failed to communicate in other ways, or worse, you never tried. Some parents arent skilled at communicating, though, and violence is a very clear kind of communication. It might work better than YOUR alternatives, even if it doesn't work better than ALL of the alternatives.I don't spank my kid, but I fail as a parent in plenty of other ways. I try to fix those areas, as I would hope most parents would. I don't think spanking is child abuse, but I do think some kids carry emotional baggage from it. If it makes them question themselves and how their parents could hit them, or teaches them to avoid punishment instead of doing the right thing to do the right thing, or leaves them with shame, it does cause damage. Lastly, just because the kid fixes the behavior that caused the problem, doesn't meant the spanking worked. You're giving the kid a strong negative reinforcement right now, but asking them to fill in the blanks themselves as to why they shouldn't have done what they did. Its a bandaid. And if you explain it after the spanking, what have you done differently than someone who explained it before the spanking?From a personal standpoint, I was not hit by a belt. My brother was. It caused huge problems for him, he had low self esteem, and is now mentally ill with father issues. So my experience with spanking has been all negative. But I have seen plenty of kids who were spanked and turned out all right. Its not the end all be all of parenting failure, but I can't understand why someone would plan to become a spanking parent.

Spanking is a failure of parenting. Hitting a kid with a belt is an even bigger failure. You're using violence to communicate because you've failed to communicate in other ways, or worse, you never tried. Some parents arent skilled at communicating, though, and violence is a very clear kind of communication. It might work better than YOUR alternatives, even if it doesn't work better than ALL of the alternatives.
Brilliant post. :goodposting:

Brilliant post. :goodposting:
Yup.

I like the contrast of fred's well thought out, well written post with this drivel

'[icon] said:
Liberal pantywaists... Nothing wrong with taking a belt to a kids ### for gettig out of line. It's certainly not a felony. Excessive for dropping a ball? Sure! But as a course of discipline I fully intend to have the belt in my arsenal when raising my kids.

Users who are viewing this thread