What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is ProFootballTalk.com now officially unreadable? (1 Viewer)

tombonneau

Footballguy
Years ago this site used to be a must-read for breaking NFL news, but now that everyone and their brother has a blog, breaking news has pretty much become omnipresent on the Web, so it's one competitive advantage has pretty much been nullified.

And it just seems that Florio is much more concerned at this point with manufacturing him and his site as some sort of media presence and is trying desperately to simply generate controversy and stories out of nothing, much moreso even than in the past. The major knock on the site used to be the Rumor Mill was 90% rumor, then that actually improved, but now it just seems most pieces are him editorializing his "controversial" opinion.

What pushed me over the edge was his egregious and unnecessary excoriating of Vince Young after his "the media is writing my legacy" comments. Just ridiculous.

Anyway, it's gotten to the point where I'll probably just unsubscribe from the RSS feed and be done with it. Anyone else done with this site? (I know, I know, I'm probably about 2 years too late on coming around ...)

Yeah I find it's more about Florio pontificating than anything else. It's still enjoyable to drop in and read the comments, but it's not a go-to site for me anymore.

I guess I don't see much change. It's always been as much about editorial comments and tearing players down as reporting actual news/rumors. He has some connections, so there's occasionally some good info. I ignore the rest.

The only change I see is that he has become a regular guest on radio shows (e.g. Dan Patrick) which has caused some people to view him as more 'mainstream' than he was a few years ago.

If it's not your cup of tea...don't go to the site. :jawdrop: I happen to enjoy it myself.

I think a lot of FBG's bash the site here yet check over there 5 times a day.

Yeah, it's so unreadable that they are setting new visit records every month. They'll miss you.
I probably visit the site once a week whereas I used to visit multiple times a day during the season (and sometimes during the off-season).Yeah, I know, they don't miss me. Frankly, I don't care. The site has gone downhill.

Yeah, it's so unreadable that they are setting new visit records every month. They'll miss you.
Record visits from millions of mouth-breathers is nothing to be proud of. Do you read the comments on that site? It is written for the lowest common denominator and they are clearly responding.I'm sure he's going quite well with his affiliate ad network and as a businessman I give him props. As a "journalist" or "media gadfly" or whatever he is, not so much.Anyway, I'll probably continue to scan the PFT HEADLINES THAT SHOUT AT ME FROM MY RSS FEED to catch any breaking news, but that's about it.

Florio lands a nugget faster than the rest of the mainstream media and some other bloggers...He has some connections on the inside that he seems to speculate on far too often...that's where he loses me. Other than that, I give it a scan every couple days or so.

I would be interested to see what other blogs people use?

The worst thing about this site is that you HAVE to visit it. You don't even get a choice!

Oh, wait a minute...

I actually agree with you here. I used to go to that site to read about stuff noone was covering. For awhile, very little bore itself out and then like you said, more and more it seemed he had a bead on some of the under the covers kind of stuff.

Because of that, his profile increased. Whether it was due to that or something else, once that occurred, the news he was privy to seemed to dry up. Now it is just his opinion.

I've always had a private bone to pick with him with regard to the way he simply massacred Vick (a VTech alum), but has pretty much taken the low road on Pacman (West Virginia alum). If he fashioned himself as a true budding journalist, his personal biases in these instances were not disguised.

I've always had a private bone to pick with him with regard to the way he simply massacred Vick (a VTech alum), but has pretty much taken the low road on Pacman (West Virginia alum). If he fashioned himself as a true budding journalist, his personal biases in these instances were not disguised.
I don't think this is accurate, at all. If you did a search of Pac Man articles you would get one after another that rips him. And for that matter, he also rips Chris Henry, another WVU alum. PFT originated a turd list and Florio is an equal opportunity hater in regards to NFL players who can't stay out of trouble.BTW- Every single day I read several articles that give an interesting take on news of the day. Honestly, I don't get you people at all. PFT is a virtual mecca for NFL news and analysis that you won't find anywhere else. I mean seriously, enjoy ESPN and CNNSI if that's your thing.

I don't think this is accurate, at all. If you did a search of Pac Man articles you would get one after another that rips him. And for that matter, he also rips Chris Henry, another WVU alum. PFT originated a turd list and Florio is an equal opportunity hater in regards to NFL players who can't stay out of trouble.BTW- Every single day I read several articles that give an interesting take on news of the day. Honestly, I don't get you people at all. PFT is a virtual mecca for NFL news and analysis that you won't find anywhere else. I mean seriously, enjoy ESPN and CNNSI if that's your thing.
sure. pft is a mecca of nfl news for readers that can stomach florio's politics. i can't. so i stopped going there regularly two years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread