What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is there a War On Thanksgiving? (1 Viewer)

We serve both. It's a big deal since (most of) my family is Jewish and thus eschew pork in their own homes, though several enjoy it. As my wife isn't Jewish they get a pass to have the ham at our house, so people look forward to it. I stick with the turkey myself.
gb the gentiles 

gb the gentiles 
Back when I was a kid, we'd have thanksgiving at my great aunt and uncle's house. The spread was ridiculous from chopped liver to egg rolls. Though also Jewish, they didn't abide by any dietary restrictions - so they too had not only ham but also spare ribs. My great uncle used to manage a butcher shop so the meat was always first rate and he knew how to prepare it - his turkeys were fantastic. Part of his baste - 7up. No kidding. But the spare ribs were my favorite thing.

Back when I was a kid, we'd have thanksgiving at my great aunt and uncle's house. The spread was ridiculous from chopped liver to egg rolls. Though also Jewish, they didn't abide by any dietary restrictions - so they too had not only ham but also spare ribs. My great uncle used to manage a butcher shop so the meat was always first rate and he knew how to prepare it - his turkeys were fantastic. Part of his baste - 7up. No kidding. But the spare ribs were my favorite thing.
I believe it. I use Coca Cola to bake ham and I'm sure it has a lot of the same properties. (Sugar mostly ;)  )

Non Jewish person question: For Jewish folks that don't abide by kosher diet, how is that seen by most?

Is it like you're kind of doing something a little out of bounds or way out of bounds or no big deal at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Non Jewish person question: For Jewish folks that don't abide by kosher diet, how is that seen by most?

Is it like you're kind of doing something a little out of bounds or way out of bounds or no big deal at all?
You'd be considered a non-Jew by most Orthodox I think. From there it varies across the Jewish sect spectrum (conservative, reformed) from pretty taboo to frowned upon but accepted, to not noteworthy. My mom's side of the family is more on the conservative Jewish side, so straddling taboo and frowned upon. My dad's side (of which the great aunt and uncle I mention above were part) didn't care.

Not wild about the attempt at co-opting Thanksgiving for any “side”. But that’s what Donald Trump does, he creates an “us vs. them”, puts himself on the side of “right”, and calls the other side some kind of name. Childish, divisive, typical Trump. It’s embarrassing that the President does this. 

I’m pretty famous for my childhood breakfast Koya-Sammich with bacon, ham, and sausage along with egg.

For most reform (and certainly agnostic or go to temple at the high holy days only Jews), pork products in a diet aren’t much different than that our gentile counterparts. 

Now, in some families you have the last vestiges of a cultural disposition against pork that can show at times, but generally we are red and high pressure blooded pork eating ‘mericans.

Though TG is all about the turkey, stuffing, and gravy.  With a smattering of scrapple if ya have an early breakfast. 

You'd be considered a non-Jew by most Orthodox I think. From there it varies across the Jewish sect spectrum (conservative, reformed) from pretty taboo to frowned upon but accepted, to not noteworthy. My mom's side of the family is more on the conservative Jewish side, so straddling taboo and frowned upon. My dad's side (of which the great aunt and uncle I mention above were part) didn't care.
Other than the ultra orthodox / Hasidic sects, most all would recognize me as a Jew even with my penchant for a multitude of sins. 

I'm all for the war. Thanksgiving is my least favorite holiday. My mom insists we go there every year and she is a terrible cook. Atrocious. It makes me sad to see posts here and in the FFA with people celebrating the anticipation of fabulous meals and I look forward to turkey that has been over-cooked by about two hours to the point that it is sawdust and an array of canned/frozen vegetables as sides . And there is no TV in the vicinity of the eating table so I usually can't even watch football. And we have a two hour commute both ways.

I will join this war to make this whole holiday go away. Unless someone can convince my mother to come to my house instead and we will make an appropriate meal.

I'm all for the war. Thanksgiving is my least favorite holiday. My mom insists we go there every year and she is a terrible cook. Atrocious. It makes me sad to see posts here and in the FFA with people celebrating the anticipation of fabulous meals and I look forward to turkey that has been over-cooked by about two hours to the point that it is sawdust and an array of canned/frozen vegetables as sides . And there is no TV in the vicinity of the eating table so I usually can't even watch football. And we have a two hour commute both ways.

I will join this war to make this whole holiday go away. Unless someone can convince my mother to come to my house instead and we will make an appropriate meal.
One year we went to my wife’s family’s house. Her aunt made this salmon dip- it looked good if fish dip is your thing, but as she warmed it up in the oven she kept stirring it...and stirring...and stirring, for like an hour and a half, until that salmon was beaten into a fine paste. You could no longer discern any ingredients, it was just one big warm fishy cheesy glob. 

One year we went to my wife’s family’s house. Her aunt made this salmon dip- it looked good if fish dip is your thing, but as she warmed it up in the oven she kept stirring it...and stirring...and stirring, for like an hour and a half, until that salmon was beaten into a fine paste. You could no longer discern any ingredients, it was just one big warm fishy cheesy glob. 
I see your fishy cheese glob and raise you canned sweet potatoes with grape nuts on top of them with a side of frozen turnips put in the microwave to "cook". 😪

I see your fishy cheese glob and raise you canned sweet potatoes with grape nuts on top of them with a side of frozen turnips put in the microwave go "cook". 😪
Where the hell do you even find frozen turnips? Does she cut them and freeze them herself? Wtf grape nuts? You probably get that vegetable mix too- you know, with the Lima beans. Comes in a can or frozen! Cranberry sauce that is still in can shape. 
I suppose in this instance it’s ok to have ham (you should bring a ham.)

Where the hell do you even find frozen turnips? Does she cut them and freeze them herself? Wtf grape nuts? You probably get that vegetable mix too- you know, with the Lima beans. Comes in a can or frozen! Cranberry sauce that is still in can shape. 
I suppose in this instance it’s ok to have ham (you should bring a ham.)
It's like a frozen turnip puree. I have no freaking idea where they come from and I've never seen that in a store, but admittedly have never been looking. It's like frozen mashed turnips. She sprinkles some dried parsley on top though to make it her own. 

And yes grape nuts. On top of canned sweet potatoes. Put in a casserole dish and cooked in the oven. Possibly with some brown sugar or something but I don't know because I won't touch it.

And cranberry sauce in my mom's house only comes in can shapes. No concept of actually making something from real food ingredients. 

My wife made a spinach gratin and crab dip that we are going to bring tomorrow. My mom will probably be pissed that we brought our own food but my wife's rationale was that we could put the spinach gratin on top of the turkey to give it some moisture and maybe make it edible.  

It's like a frozen turnip puree. I have no freaking idea where they come from and I've never seen that in a store, but admittedly have never been looking. It's like frozen mashed turnips. She sprinkles some dried parsley on top though to make it her own. 

And yes grape nuts. On top of canned sweet potatoes. Put in a casserole dish and cooked in the oven. Possibly with some brown sugar or something but I don't know because I won't touch it.

And cranberry sauce in my mom's house only comes in can shapes. No concept of actually making something from real food ingredients. 

My wife made a spinach gratin and crab dip that we are going to bring tomorrow. My mom will probably be pissed that we brought our own food but my wife's rationale was that we could put the spinach gratin on top of the turkey to give it some moisture and maybe make it edible.  
Ok I think if you took like 1/2 cup of butter, grape nuts, brown sugar, pinch of nutmeg/cinnamon and it might not be bad, but just straight grape nuts is a head slapper.

Students say it's NOT okay to celebrate Thanksgiving

A quick look at their site and it looks like it's heavily slanted toward conservatives and calling out Political Correctness so clearly it's not unbiased. And I don't know, maybe the students on the video are all faking it. And as usual, the youtube comments are awful. But this isn't out of line with my experience with some young people. :shrug:  

What would a war on Thanksgiivng entail?  Forcing you to not eat turkey. Nothing more than red meat for a Conservative agenda.  A POTUS should be above this...…

What would a war on Thanksgiving entail?  Forcing you to not eat turkey. Nothing more than red meat for a Conservative agenda.  A POTUS should be above this...…
Similar to the war on Christmas. No one said you should stop celebrating Christmas, just not say "Happy Holidays" instead. Trump was referring what he (or Fox) called "the radical left" wanting to change the name (to what I have no idea). 

More from Vox:

https://www.vox.com/explainers/2019/11/27/20985579/trump-rally-change-thanksgiving-name-liberals-fox-news-florida?utm_content=voxdotcom&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=vox.social&utm_source=twitter

Trump’s made-up war on Thanksgiving, explained

Before we inevitably arrive at the alleged war on Christmas this holiday season, we’ve first got to tackle the … war on Thanksgiving? Which is supposedly a thing now, too. At least according to President Donald Trump.

Conservative media and some Republicans have for years claimed that Christmas is under attack, turning some people’s decision to say “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas” during the month of December into a culture war touchstone to try to spark outrage on the right. Trump has embraced the “war on Christmas” narrative, and now he’s taking it a step further: he’s claiming liberals are out to get Thanksgiving, too.

At a rally in Florida on Tuesday, the president confoundingly reassured supporters that he wouldn’t let the “radical left” change Thanksgiving’s name. “As we gather for Thanksgiving, you know, some people want to change the name Thanksgiving. They don’t want to use the term Thanksgiving,” Trump said. He later continued: “People have different ideas why it shouldn’t be called Thanksgiving, but everybody in this room, I know, loves the name Thanksgiving. And we’re not changing.”

It’s not clear who on the left Trump believes is trying to change the name of Thanksgiving, which is a secular American holiday. It’s true there is some cultural strife surrounding the day, including its historical weight for Native Americans and its environmental impact, but there’s not some broad push to change the name of the holiday altogether.

[...]

It’s not a bad idea to give Thanksgiving a think

For all you Thanksgiving aficionados out there, nobody’s coming to take away your turkey, your stuffing, or your cranberry sauce. (Side note: Have you seen Vox’s definitive ranking of Thanksgiving sides?) But that doesn’t mean it’s not worth considering that the holiday isn’t the same for everyone and for all communities.

For Native Americans, the holiday can be a painful one, not a time to celebrate but instead a time to remember the atrocities they suffered when Europeans landed in America, and to note that the story in many history books about the Pilgrims and Native Americans is not an accurate one.

Since 1970, some Native Americans have instead been observing the National Day of Mourning, a protest and remembrance of “the genocide of millions of Native people, the theft of Native lands, and the relentless assault on Native culture.” They gather in Plymouth, Massachusetts, on Thanksgiving each year.

”We go there every year, along with many nonindigenous allies, as well, to talk about the truth about Thanksgiving,” Mahtowin Munro, co-leader of the United American Indians of New England, which organizes the protest, told CNN.

It’s not clear whether this protest is what Trump was referencing, but if it was, it’s hardly a leftist effort to rename a holiday — rather, it’s an effort to highlight the country’s history from an underrepresented perspective.

Some environmental groups have also pushed for more conversation about the environmental impact of Thanksgiving, including the food consumed (and wasted) and travel. Again, not bad to think about, but also not an attack on Thanksgiving.

Will Trump’s claims of a war on Thanksgivings have legs? It’s hard to tell, but given the Christmas season basically starts now, he, Fox News, and the rest of the culture war-stoking conservative media are likely to turn to Christmas instead. At least we now have the tweets and memes.

I have some Jewish friends that eat anything when they are out with non-jews.  I am talking bacon, ham and cheese whatever.

When around their family they only eat Kosher. One guy said he does it for his mom and dad to keep peace.

Similar to the war on Christmas. No one said you should stop celebrating Christmas, just not say "Happy Holidays" instead. Trump was referring what he (or Fox) called "the radical left" wanting to change the name (to what I have no idea). 

More from Vox:

https://www.vox.com/explainers/2019/11/27/20985579/trump-rally-change-thanksgiving-name-liberals-fox-news-florida?utm_content=voxdotcom&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=vox.social&utm_source=twitter

Trump’s made-up war on Thanksgiving, explained

Before we inevitably arrive at the alleged war on Christmas this holiday season, we’ve first got to tackle the … war on Thanksgiving? Which is supposedly a thing now, too. At least according to President Donald Trump.

Conservative media and some Republicans have for years claimed that Christmas is under attack, turning some people’s decision to say “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas” during the month of December into a culture war touchstone to try to spark outrage on the right. Trump has embraced the “war on Christmas” narrative, and now he’s taking it a step further: he’s claiming liberals are out to get Thanksgiving, too.

At a rally in Florida on Tuesday, the president confoundingly reassured supporters that he wouldn’t let the “radical left” change Thanksgiving’s name. “As we gather for Thanksgiving, you know, some people want to change the name Thanksgiving. They don’t want to use the term Thanksgiving,” Trump said. He later continued: “People have different ideas why it shouldn’t be called Thanksgiving, but everybody in this room, I know, loves the name Thanksgiving. And we’re not changing.”

It’s not clear who on the left Trump believes is trying to change the name of Thanksgiving, which is a secular American holiday. It’s true there is some cultural strife surrounding the day, including its historical weight for Native Americans and its environmental impact, but there’s not some broad push to change the name of the holiday altogether.

[...]

It’s not a bad idea to give Thanksgiving a think

For all you Thanksgiving aficionados out there, nobody’s coming to take away your turkey, your stuffing, or your cranberry sauce. (Side note: Have you seen Vox’s definitive ranking of Thanksgiving sides?) But that doesn’t mean it’s not worth considering that the holiday isn’t the same for everyone and for all communities.

For Native Americans, the holiday can be a painful one, not a time to celebrate but instead a time to remember the atrocities they suffered when Europeans landed in America, and to note that the story in many history books about the Pilgrims and Native Americans is not an accurate one.

Since 1970, some Native Americans have instead been observing the National Day of Mourning, a protest and remembrance of “the genocide of millions of Native people, the theft of Native lands, and the relentless assault on Native culture.” They gather in Plymouth, Massachusetts, on Thanksgiving each year.

”We go there every year, along with many nonindigenous allies, as well, to talk about the truth about Thanksgiving,” Mahtowin Munro, co-leader of the United American Indians of New England, which organizes the protest, told CNN.

It’s not clear whether this protest is what Trump was referencing, but if it was, it’s hardly a leftist effort to rename a holiday — rather, it’s an effort to highlight the country’s history from an underrepresented perspective.

Some environmental groups have also pushed for more conversation about the environmental impact of Thanksgiving, including the food consumed (and wasted) and travel. Again, not bad to think about, but also not an attack on Thanksgiving.

Will Trump’s claims of a war on Thanksgivings have legs? It’s hard to tell, but given the Christmas season basically starts now, he, Fox News, and the rest of the culture war-stoking conservative media are likely to turn to Christmas instead. At least we now have the tweets and memes.
I think this is a pretty good example of where we are and why.

Acknowledging some people don't like the name Thanksgiving or have questions about celebrating is somehow turned into saying those people have declared "war on Thanksgiving". Which isn't what they said at all. But why let facts get in the way of a good mob?

I think this is a pretty good example of where we are and why.

Acknowledging some people don't like the name Thanksgiving or have questions about celebrating is somehow turned into saying those people have declared "war on Thanksgiving". Which isn't what they said at all. But why let facts get in the way of a good mob?
Agreed. 

Of course there is no war on Thanksgiving. 

Listen Children to a story 

That was written long ago 

Bout a kingdom on a mountain 

and the valley far below 

In the kingdom was a treasure 

buried deep beneath the stone 

And the valley people swore

they’d have it for their very own 

His kid laid it out for us in his tweet mentioned in another other thread - this is all BS to trigger arguments. So transparent, low level troll maneuver. 

2,500 likes on the "This is Stolen Land" Pumpkin Pie

I continue to be surprised by how many people seem surprised this is a thing. And to be clear, it's not any "war on Thanksgiving". Nobody said that. But to be unaware there are a fair number of folks uncomfortable with Thanksgiving seems odd. 

2,500 likes on the "This is Stolen Land" Pumpkin Pie

I continue to be surprised by how many people seem surprised this is a thing. And to be clear, it's not any "war on Thanksgiving". Nobody said that. But to be unaware there are a fair number of folks uncomfortable with Thanksgiving seems odd. 
I think most are aware of that, to be honest, but let's face it, in today's climate, pretty much anything that is a thing has a fair number of folks who are uncomfortable with it. 

I think most are aware of that, to be honest, but let's face it, in today's climate, pretty much anything that is a thing has a fair number of folks who are uncomfortable with it. 
I have to disagree. Most don't seem to be aware this is a thing. And it's not some fringe thing. I asked my 21 year old son about this and he said absolutely it was not uncommon, especially for people his age. 

I've found it super interesting that people seem to make this position out to be non existent. :shrug:  

Users who are viewing this thread