What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It felt good on Draft Night but now you have to actually start'em...Who Should I Start Thread "OFFICIALLY UNOFFICIAL" (1 Viewer)

FYI or to all who plan on frequenting this, we're going to need a group effort here

-First and foremost, try and explain what you're thinking. You might get a smart remark at times but its best to come clean.
Try and list any rules for your leagues but I stress this, most of my responses are going to be Redraft only and PPR, typically start 2 Rb/3Wr, TE and a Flex, let's keep it simple
I don't play Dynasty or those 2 QB Super Flex leagues although they sound fun

I'm gonna stay in my lane, there's no way I can fill Chaka's shoes so I won't try

All good
Cheers!
:goodposting: any details you can provide to enhance your ask is very appreciated.

LOL thanks for starting this weeks thread MoP. I will take the reins starting week 2, you have enough on your plate already.

It's hard to believe we need @Chaka first week to weigh in on starting line ups, but believe me we do.
Start your starters, yo.

I know you're thinking "I drafted RB/WR X to be my flex starter before RB/WR Y but RB/WR Y has a smoking matchup (even though we don't know which matchups are "smokin'" yet) so maybe I should start him because... reasons.

Don't. Start your starters, yo.
This, with the exception that I’m going TLaw over Purdy with Trent likely out.

But yes - start the team ya drafted week 1. Don’t get cute.
Trent signed. Now how do you feel?

Personally, I probably still go with Lawrence but I may be a little jaded here. I passed on Purdy in the FBG Home League with the hope of landing Lawrence a little later so I have some kind of bias going here.

However I definitely like Lawrence's matchup more than Purdy's

Lawrence>Purdy

It's hard to believe we need @Chaka first week to weigh in on starting line ups, but believe me we do.
Start your starters, yo.

I know you're thinking "I drafted RB/WR X to be my flex starter before RB/WR Y but RB/WR Y has a smoking matchup (even though we don't know which matchups are "smokin'" yet) so maybe I should start him because... reasons.

Don't. Start your starters, yo.
This, with the exception that I’m going TLaw over Purdy with Trent likely out.

But yes - start the team ya drafted week 1. Don’t get cute.
Trent signed. Now how do you feel?

Personally, I probably still go with Lawrence but I may be a little jaded here. I passed on Purdy in the FBG Home League with the hope of landing Lawrence a little later so I have some kind of bias going here.

However I definitely like Lawrence's matchup more than Purdy's

Lawrence>Purdy
I’m still going TLaw over Purdy. It’s just a way better matchup and Niners should be a bit rusty.

Starting CMC in another league because duh.

But imma let the Niners get the Jets out the way before making decisions moving forward.

0.5 PPR

QB:
Jayden Daniels vs TB
Matthew Stafford at Det

Flex (pick 2):
Diontae Johnson at NO
Terry McLaurin vs TB (stack with Daniels?)
Rhamondre Stevenson at Cin
That first one is really a pickle. Stafford is often criminally underrated. After I just got done saying I passed on Purdy in the hope of landing Lawrence later, Stafford was definitely the guy I would have taken if Lawrence was gone. I almost went with Stafford over Lawrence and still have some concerns that I didn't.

I guess my first question is how many points does your league award for passing TDs. If it's four I lean towards Daniels, if it's six I lean towards Stafford. That's probably the main differentiator IMO.

Daniels>Stafford*

I do think the Patriots are being a little undervalued but they are a difficult team to get a handle on at this point. The problem is, so are the Panthers and the Commanders.

I guess, for me since I passed on both Rhamondre and Diontae for McLaurin that's my answer. Gotta believe in the guy I drafted to be a (flex) starter. But really you should start the guy your gut is telling you to.

McLaurin>Rhamondre>Diontae

Straight ppr Redraft

Flex choice

Aaron Jones or Chris Godwin, drafted Jones at pick 57 as third RB and got Godwin as third WR at 65.

I am leaning Jones, but have doubts
I wouldn't have doubts. Jones is a good player and you should give him his run while he's healthy. O'Connell loves to pass more than just about anyone but, with Darnold under center I think we may see a bit more commitment to the run game.

Jones>Godwin

Should I start the guys I drafted to be starters? Presume no injuries.

I’m leaning toward doing this. Am I crazy? Should I talk myself out of it?

I have a strong bench with considerable upside if that helps. TIA

I have a lot of Cooks v. Jameson Williams type choices for my Wr3 slot in leagues.

Also, need to decide pretty quickly here whether Gus Edwards is the RB1 with the Chargers and should be in my lineups over somebody like a Mostert or Javonte Williams.

Maybe you posted already but for some stronger drafters I can see looking at what might be on the bench Week 1
Example...you drafted 4 WR inside of 6-7 rounds or 4 RBs inside of 7-8 rounds and have 1-2 flex spots, you might have some research to do

I have a lot of Cooks v. Jameson Williams type choices for my Wr3 slot in leagues.

Also, need to decide pretty quickly here whether Gus Edwards is the RB1 with the Chargers and should be in my lineups over somebody like a Mostert or Javonte Williams.
Cooks is probably a solid play this week and he has some upside. He scored a TD in eight games last year and CeeDee is definitely still rounding into football shape so, if Cooks is going to have a big game it should be this week. But, I am an unabashed fan of Jameson and I think he is just more fun to have in your lineup. All reports out of camp have been glowing and he has as much upside as any player in the league.

Jameson>Cooks

I start Mostert over Gus for lots of reasons. Mostly because we have a good idea of his role in a much better offense.

Personally I start Jameson over Gus but it's a classic upside play vs a possibly decent floor. But, since we don't really know if Gus has a decent floor and we're certain Jameson is an upside play.

Mostert>Jameson>>Gus

• Thanks
Reactions: Zow
Choose 1: Etienne (@MIA), Olave (vCAR), or Metcalf (vDEN)?
PPR (also FWIW, a 5-point bonus at 150 rushing or receiving yards, always a possibility).

I see folks wanting to start TLaw vs the Phins Week 1

-The good news is Jacksonville can be every bit as hot if not more than Miami, doubt the Jags "Feel the Heat" in this one

-The bad news for those wanting to cash right in on the Jax passing attack vs the Miami Secondary, let's go thru who Miami is wheeling out there
1. Jalen Ramsey - RCB and good luck picking on him all game, he had a couple interceptions when he came off IR last year after signing with Miami and nobody wanted to throw at him the rest of the way which made Howard's fall from grace even worse. 57th/127 CBs lasts season is not that great but most QBs try not to throw passes his way, doesn't end well.

2. Kendall Fuller - LCB and an upgrade over "X" in '22 and '23, Howard was on the decline for a while, maybe injuries caught up with him but Fuller seems to stay on the field
7th out of 127 CBs ranked last season, major upgrade for Miami.

3. Javon Holland - FS and ranked 3rd out of 92 rated Safeties last season, Year 4 and working towards getting a Phat extension from Miami

4. Kader Kohou - Slot/Nickel, Had a much better '22 vs '23 but still holds down this starting spot in the Secondary

5. Jordan Poyer - SS, fan base might be a little worried about a 32/33 yr old starting Strong Safety coming off injury

Depth - Campbell at Safety, Ethan Bonner a hidden gem at Corner and rookie Storm Duck, definitely my new jersey for '24, what a name for a Miami Dolphin

Miami has some new faces at Edge, pressure on Lawrence to maximize the skills of the secondary would be wise.
I can see why people might start Lawrence but how many FF teams wheel him out Week 1?
QB16 -ADP preseason?

PPR (also FWIW, a 5-point bonus at 150 rushing or receiving yards, always a possibility).
First world problems.

I go with Etienne, it's why you drafted him high. Personally I like Metcalf over Olave. I think the new OC will be good for the offense and I like his ability to house one more than Olave's.

Besides, MoP thinks the Jags will pass for negative yardage so, if they're going to do anything it's going to be on the ground.

Etienne>DK>Olave

First world problems.

I go with Etienne, it's why you drafted him high. Personally I like Metcalf over Olave. I think the new OC will be good for the offense and I like his ability to house one more than Olave's.

Besides, MoP thinks the Jags will pass for negative yardage so, if they're going to do anything it's going to be on the ground.

Etienne>DK>Olave
Was leaning that way myself. Thanks for the input, have a 🤝

How good is the rest of your lineup if this is who you have left to chose from at flex?
Must be one of those 4 team leagues.

How good is the rest of your lineup if this is who you have left to chose from at flex?
Must be one of those 4 team leagues.
It's 12 teams, but it's a dynasty league so that changes everything. Have built it up very strong, for now at least. But no matter how good your roster is there are always tough calls at the border of your lineup/bench.

One more.

Just drafted. QBs are Dak @ CLE & Goff VS DET

Goff, easy call, right?

Also, irrelevant, but I have Lamb :oldunsure:
It's not irrelevant, stacking QB/WR combos is generally a net benefit.

My first impulse is to point out you probably drafted Dak before Goff. Maybe 2-3 rounds?

However, I mentioned above that I view Dak as the QB you pass on early in the hope of getting Goff late. They are essentially the same QB at this point. If you're lucky Dak will continue to get you 14 yards/game rushing but I don't see that 1.4 points as being a difference maker at this point. Maybe in the two games where Dak scores a rushing TD, then again Goff ran for the same number of TDs (2) as Dak last season.

Goff is at home, in a dome against most likely a lesser defense in the Rams than the Cowboys face on the road in Cleveland.

Goff>Dak

One more.

Goff, easy call, right?

It's not irrelevant, stacking QB/WR combos is generally a net benefit.

My first impulse is to point out you probably drafted Dak before Goff. Maybe 2-3 rounds?

However, I mentioned above that I view Dak as the QB you pass on early in the hope of getting Goff late. They are essentially the same QB at this point. If you're lucky Dak will continue to get you 14 yards/game rushing but I don't see that 1.4 points as being a difference maker at this point. Maybe in the two games where Dak scores a rushing TD, then again Goff ran for the same number of TDs (2) as Dak last season.

Goff is at home, in a dome against most likely a lesser defense in the Rams than the Cowboys face on the road in Cleveland.

Goff>Dak
I waited on both and landed both. Sometimes the draft comes to you - the value was too good to pass up Goff, and too many teams needed their QB1, so I figured I’d play the matchups.

And stacking is great, in DFS. It can also be great if playing the weekly matchups.

In this case I think it would make it worse, but when Dak has the better matchup, that’s who I’ll play. ;)

One more.

Goff, easy call, right?

Didn't know that the Lions traded Goff to the Rams.

Someone asked the same question in the asst. coach and my horrible opinion was Goff this and most weeks since Dallas has a fairly easy schedule and I forsee several games where they just win and have to just run out the clock. I mean maybe Dak and Lamb just feast before then but I could easily see Goff with better numbers than Dak.

I guess mine would be, I drafted Purdy to be my guy but then Herbert fell and I impulse drafted him since I thought it was incredible value. I think I still start Purdy though.

Maybe you posted already but for some stronger drafters I can see looking at what might be on the bench Week 1
Example...you drafted 4 WR inside of 6-7 rounds or 4 RBs inside of 7-8 rounds and have 1-2 flex spots, you might have some research to do

Yeah I was just trying to be funny, brother man.

I have Brock Bowers as my TE1 ( :oldunsure: ) and am flipping coins on my Flex, but this year I am trying to be a little less ADHD about churning the redraft roster. Quite often my machinations pre-Week 1 don't yield anything meaningful so I'm just kind of sticking with the beliefs I had going into the draft. I put a lot of time into independent research each year, and while I have misses like anyone else, I have resolved to simply trust myself more this year.

Also, coming off a title I have a bit of a dgaf attitude lol.

I guess mine would be, I drafted Purdy to be my guy but then Herbert fell and I impulse drafted him since I thought it was incredible value. I think I still start Purdy though.
Purdy and it isn't really close

Herbert could change that narrative as the season goes in but, ATM Purdy is in a stacked offense and Herbert isn't.

Purdy>Herbert

Thanks in advance.

Standard Scoring + PPR

Nabers or Krik at Flex (JJ and Cupp are starting)

Which 2 RB should I start: Walker III, Zamir White or Jerome Ford (yes, I know, my RB's are weak)

I'm of the belief that you should let your strategy play out until you're proven wrong. You're supposed to have a strong bench with upside, so good job. You might need them later.
The second-worst thing is watching a bench guy blow up and not in your lineup.
The worst is watching a guy you targeted, drafted and planned to start get benched and do exactly what you hoped he'd do.
Start your starters.

I have Brock Bowers as my TE1 ( :oldunsure: ) and am flipping coins on my Flex, but this year I am trying to be a little less ADHD about churning the redraft roster. Quite often my machinations pre-Week 1 don't yield anything meaningful so I'm just kind of sticking with the beliefs I had going into the draft. I put a lot of time into independent research each year, and while I have misses like anyone else, I have resolved to simply trust myself more this year.

I detected the humor but as we find out thru many other posters teams, there are decisions to make

I got one from last night PPR league at the 3-hole
T.Hill-J.Jacobs-D.Adams-Nico-CJStroud-Rice-Njoku, we Flex 2 so I can go 4-wide at WR...JWilliams/T.Pollard are my RB2 options Week 1
Brian Thomas is my WR5 and I have Benson-Wright-McLaughlin...hoping one of them is relevant by Mid Oct

Cheers

Thanks in advance.

Standard Scoring + PPR

Nabers or Krik at Flex (JJ and Cupp are starting)

Which 2 RB should I start: Walker III, Zamir White or Jerome Ford (yes, I know, my RB's are weak)
For the first one I see the argument for both and I would probably end up going with my gut. Personally. I would have drafted Nabers a little bit ahead of Kirk so I would probably start him. But it's very close. Kirk is a known commodity. He's played at a high level and he has a better quarterback. I just think Nabers will see more targets but that's pure speculation. Go with your gut

Nabers>Kirk

In my opinion, you start Kenneth Walker 100% out of those three options. Between zamir and Ford okay I can see why it would be close. I personally probably go with Zamir because I don't believe the hype surrounding a timeshare between him and Marttison. I also think people are misremembering the quality of Ford's production. When he became the starter last year. It was decidedly mediocre.

But ultimately it's close enough to be a coin toss.

Walker>>>Zamir>Ford

I detected the humor but as we find out thru many other posters teams, there are decisions to make

T.Hill-J.Jacobs-D.Adams-Nico-CJStroud-Rice-Njoku, we Flex 2 so I can go 4-wide at WR...JWilliams/T.Pollard are my RB2 options Week 1
Brian Thomas is my WR5 and I have Benson-Wright-McLaughlin...hoping one of them is relevant by Mid Oct

Cheers
I like going with four wide receivers in your situation. I'm also a fan of Javonte but if you want to get him in your lineup. The real question is who do you bench? To me? It comes down to Adams and Nico and of those two I probably bench. Nico, just because there's a little bit of uncertainty about Target distribution in Houston right now. Personally, I'm not buying into that, but that's probably because I have Nico as my wide receiver number two in the football guys home league.

I probably stick with your gut call here.

.5 PPR

Tua / Caleb

Joe Mixon / Rasheed Rice

Taysom Hill / Brock Bowers
Tua>Caleb I'm a big fan of the rookie but come on.

Rashee>Mixon Big fan of Mixon this year and it's a great offense, but this one is all about Target share and opportunity. Rashee seems more locked into being a bigger part of the offense until we know how Houston is going to shake out.

Taysom>Bowers in a couple weeks I think this one will tilt the other way but I just don't see how you can go with a rookie playing a difficult position to adjust to having missed the last. What, 3 weeks of training camp?

Cheers
I like going with four wide receivers in your situation. I'm also a fan of Javonte but if you want to get him in your lineup. The real question is who do you bench? To me? It comes down to Adams and Nico and of those two I probably bench. Nico, just because there's a little bit of uncertainty about Target distribution in Houston right now. Personally, I'm not buying into that, but that's probably because I have Nico as my wide receiver number two in the football guys home league.

We Flex 2 so I actually plan on Hill-Adams-Collins-Rice for week 1. RB2 is the only question right now, Williams might be the right play over Pollard
My weak spot is going to be RB2 and perhaps TE. I am getting trade offer already on Rice - Mostert/Monty type RBs, think I'll hold off a couple weeks
:thumbup:

Thanks for the feedback. I might add some of my Exploit/Avoid thoughts in this thread Week 1, no reason to fire up another new one

Keenan Allen or Courtland Sutton? 2PPR / 6 pt TD / 1 pt per 10 ydrec
Hmmmm, I gotta watch the Bears week 1 to see how they utilize everyone
I could see Allen do his thing for like 7/76 Week 1 to let everyone know he's getting his 8-9 targets a game, hard to predict TDs

Courtland Sutton had 10 TDs last year but that's not typically sustainable. I do think as Bo Nix develops that Sutton will be a more reliable flex or WR3 after 3-4-5 games
Caleb will not come out gangbusters but they have full intentions of throwing the ball in Chicago.

Don't know if that helps but I would lean Allen for the first Week of the season

.5 PPR

Tua / Caleb

Joe Mixon / Rasheed Rice

Rashee>Mixon Big fan of Mixon this year and it's a great offense, but this one is all about Target share and opportunity. Rashee seems more locked into being a bigger part of the offense until we know how Houston is going to shake out.

Taysom>Bowers in a couple weeks I think this one will tilt the other way but I just don't see how you can go with a rookie playing a difficult position to adjust to having missed the last. What, 3 weeks of training camp?
These are what I have in now. I may put in Caleb at last minute.

Cheers

We Flex 2 so I actually plan on Hill-Adams-Collins-Rice for week 1. RB2 is the only question right now, Williams might be the right play over Pollard
My weak spot is going to be RB2 and perhaps TE. I am getting trade offer already on Rice - Mostert/Monty type RBs, think I'll hold off a couple weeks
:thumbup:

Thanks for the feedback. I might add some of my Exploit/Avoid thoughts in this thread Week 1, no reason to fire up another new one
Unless Spears is hurt in week one I definitely play Javonte over Pollard. I have not seen anything to indicate Javonte is in a timeshare of any consequence while Pollard is almost certainly in a 50/50 with Spears.

Javonte>Pollard

.5 PPR

Tua / Caleb

Joe Mixon / Rasheed Rice

These are what I have in now. I may put in Caleb at last minute.
Just FYI, I have the same combo of Tua/Caleb in one of my long time redraft leagues so I'll be in the same boat as you
More than happy to play Tua week 1 vs Jax at Hard Rock in the 1:00 Sunshine

Non-ppr, please pick 2 from the following flex options

Achane vs Jags - I know, I drafted him in the third I should back my own judgement. Just not sure what his percentage will be and might be guessing weekly
DK Metcalf vs Broncos - had him penciled in but a comment above about him facing Surtain has me pausing to evaluate further
T.Higgns vs Pats - decent option with Chase uncertainty
J.Ford vs Cowboys - likely gets most of the running work but Cowboys probably tough to run on
Monty vs Rams - Gibbs probably gets most of the work but Monty an option for goalline work most weeks?
Pickens @ Falcons - dunno, like him this year but the QB situation is weird there
C.Watson vs Eagles in Brazil - not really considering him this week but he's an option I guess

Last edited:
Hi friends!
0.5ppr minor coinflips for your consideration. My current starters are listed first.
A Ekeler @ TB or T Spears @ Chi
P Freiermuth @ Atl or B Bowers @ LAC
R Bateman @ KC or Gabe Davis @ Mia

O.K one more:
FFPC scoring:
Need TWO of the following:

Javonte Williams @ Sea
R.Mostert vs Jax
C.Hubbard @ N.O.
L.McConkey vs LAV

.5 PPR

Godwin vs Commanders
Or
McLaurin at Bucs

Swift vs Titans
Or
J Williams at Seahawks

Projected 50/50 against my opponent.

Leaning McLaurin (Best option on team) and Javante. I feel we need to see how they use Swift.

Thanks, Chaka!!

Users who are viewing this thread