What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

J Charles hurt ? (1 Viewer)

it's never good when you injure yourself without being hit, so hopefully it was just a rolling of the ankle. anything else, and there is probably more to this story.
Wasn't his big knee injury in 2011 also without contact?
Yes. He slipped/skidded on the first yardage marker on the sideline as he was running out of bounds. That was a flukey injury.
I have seen other players slip in those as well. They didn't get injured, but you would think by now they would use some non slip rug material or something.

After dealing with McFadden's "strained" foot a couple years ago, JChuck is officially on my do not draft list until more info comes out after an MRI. This has the potential to make or break a team this year depending on whether or not this proves serious, as I suspect there will be a precautionary fall in Charles' draft position until more info comes out.

dodged a bullet. thanks.
Not quite yet. Anytime I hear "foot strain" the first thought I have is Lis Franc. Hopefully that won't be the case, but in terms of bullets it would be a wide gauge.
Yeah, people get carted off a practice field for strain feet all the time. :sarcasm:

While he may be perfectly fine, and I hope he is, he is not in the clear yet.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on SportsCenter Monday the Chiefs are "privately" concerned about Jamaal Charles' strained foot.
Per Schefter, the Chiefs are "hoping for the best but bracing for the worst." Charles will likely undergo a Monday MRI to determine the full extent. X-rays confirmed Charles avoided a fracture, but a mid-foot sprain could cost him a lot of time. The full damage has yet to be formally revealed.

dodged a bullet. thanks.
Not quite yet. Anytime I hear "foot strain" the first thought I have is Lis Franc. Hopefully that won't be the case, but in terms of bullets it would be a wide gauge.
X-rays were negative.
IIRC that rules out a lot of bad things ... including a Santonio Holmes style worst-case lis franc.

But it doesn't rule out an MJD, DMC, or Murray type injury.
It doesn't? Lis Franc injuries (MJD, DMC, Murray) are visible on X-rays.

Only thing to worry about now is some sort of small muscle tear within his foot.

Last edited by a moderator:
dodged a bullet. thanks.
X-rays were negative.
IIRC that rules out a lot of bad things ... including a Santonio Holmes style worst-case lis franc.

But it doesn't rule out an MJD, DMC, or Murray type injury.
It doesn't? Lis Franc injuries (MJD, DMC, Murray) are visible on X-rays.

Only thing to worry about now is some sort of small muscle tear within his foot.
Lisfranc joint injuries are rare, complex and often misdiagnosed. Typical signs and symptoms include pain, swelling and the inability to bear weight. Clinically, these injuries vary from mild sprains to fracture-dislocations. On physical examination, swelling is found primarily over the midfoot region. Pain is elicited with palpation along the tarsometatarsal articulations, and force applied to this area may elicit medial or lateral pain. Radiographs showing diastasis of the normal architecture confirm the presence of a severe sprain and possible dislocation. Negative standard and weight-bearing radiographs do not rule out a mild (grade I) or moderate (grade II) sprain. Reevaluation may be necessary if pain and swelling continue for 10 days after the injury. Proper treatment of a mild to moderate Lisfranc injury improves the chance of successful healing and reduces the likelihood of complications. Patients with fractures and fracture-dislocations should be referred for surgical management.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/1998/0701/p118.html

Not saying this is a for sure a grade I or II Lisfranc, but by the descriptor above, it sounds like it's too early to call.

So lets talk about JC's overall health, this ankle inury aside. Can he handle the increased workload? He already seems injury prone.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4617/jamaal-charles

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on SportsCenter Monday the Chiefs are "privately" concerned about Jamaal Charles' strained right foot.

Per Schefter, the Chiefs are "hoping for the best but bracing for the worst." Charles will likely undergo a Monday MRI to determine the full extent. X-rays confirmed Charles avoided a fracture, but a mid-foot sprain could cost him a lot of time. The full damage has yet to be formally revealed. Aug 12 - 2:05 PM

So lets talk about JC's overall health, this ankle inury aside. Can he handle the increased workload? He already seems injury prone.
I'd hardly call him injury prone. The ACL injury was slipping on the sideline and he turned his ankle today.

Every RB is one bad plant from messing up his ankle.

Davis is the favorite out of the clubhouse because he was a draft choice of the new staff. Davis got the most touches last week but did nothing special. We will have a better handle on the situation after the next preseason game. If Davis opens and plays well he will have a strong grip on the backup role IMO.

Ankles tend to be a nagging injury so whoever captures the backup role has some upside.

Looks like Schefter's full of ####...

ESPN's Ed Werder reported Monday Chiefs coach Andy Reid and GM John Dorsey believe Jamaal Charles' right foot injury is not "a matter of serious concern" based on the initial diagnosis.
On Sirius XM Radio, Reid went so far as to suggest Charles could return to practice on Tuesday. Preliminary signs point to a day-to-day injury for Charles, despite a previous report of "private" concern over the ailment inside the Chiefs' organization. For now, Charles is only thought to have a foot strain.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on SportsCenter Monday the Chiefs are "privately" concerned about Jamaal Charles' strained foot.
Per Schefter, the Chiefs are "hoping for the best but bracing for the worst." Charles will likely undergo a Monday MRI to determine the full extent. X-rays confirmed Charles avoided a fracture, but a mid-foot sprain could cost him a lot of time. The full damage has yet to be formally revealed.
Full on scoop mode.

I will not jump to any conclusions till we get official results of an MRI.

Can't take this crap with ESPN...Schefter....internet viral....#### all this. Waste of energy to worry about this stuff till you get a real answer.....not get all your panties in a bunch over rumors, concerns....it's all nonsense till we have real medical facts.

ESPN's Ed Werder reported Monday Chiefs coach Andy Reid and GM John Dorsey believe Jamaal Charles' right foot injury is not "a matter of serious concern" based on the initial diagnosis.

On Sirius XM Radio, Reid went so far as to suggest Charles could return to practice on Tuesday. Preliminary signs point to a day-to-day injury for Charles, despite a previous report of "private" concern over the ailment inside the Chiefs' organization. For now, Charles is only thought to have a foot strain. Aug 12 - 2:57 PM

On Sirius XM Radio, Reid went so far as to suggest Charles could return to practice on Tuesday. Preliminary signs point to a day-to-day injury for Charles, despite a previous report of "private" concern over the ailment inside the Chiefs' organization. For now, Charles is only thought to have a foot strain. Aug 12 - 2:57 PM

Pure media schtick.

like i mentioned before, hurting yourself randomly while not being hit is not a GOOD sign, so I am curious as to what happened? Did he ran and just have an awkward cut/landing? Did he just roll over an ankle? because you don't just walk/run around and get injured unless something is unstable in the foot.

Well, I was seriously considering (maybe 50/50?) taking Jamaal Charles #1 overall in my 12 team PPR draft this coming Sunday. This has at least restored me to sanity and got me out of that line of thinking.

like i mentioned before, hurting yourself randomly while not being hit is not a GOOD sign, so I am curious as to what happened? Did he ran and just have an awkward cut/landing? Did he just roll over an ankle? because you don't just walk/run around and get injured unless something is unstable in the foot.
What in gods name are you talking about? Most muscle strains , tears, pulls etc occur without any contact. Typically broken bones occur from contact.

But soft tissue injuries? Plenty without anyone ever touching you. Quite common.

A strain in your foot can easily happen by taking a bad step....not being fully warm...who knows? The body is a funny thing. World class athletes go down with strains and pulls everyday without warning, without contact.

So, let's see, we've got some already saying it sounds like a Lisfranc, referring to him as injury-prone, and some other random panic. Negative X-rays, coaches saying it's not a long term thing, and the knees jerk on.

The immediate news cycle is really the best for entertainment.

What in gods name are your talking about? Most muscle strains , tears, pulls etc are occur without any contact. Typically broken bones occure from contact.

But soft tissue injuries? Plenty without anyone ever touching you.
I get what you are saying but you misguided in what i was trying to suggest. RG3 injured himself without being hit too. usually when you are hurt by NOT being hit, it's not necessarily a GOOD thing, like I suggested, so I am curious as to HOW Charles hurt himself. Did he just turn over his ankle, make an awkward landing. If I was walking around or running and doing it "normally," and hurt a soft tissue in my foot or ankle, I'd be curious and concerned that something is not so great with my foot or ankle.

So, I am curious as to HOW charles injured himself. if he was just walking and running normally and something went "wrong" that is not great as compared to just turning it over, landing awkwardly, slipped, etc (which I understand could lead to a worse injury). [suggesting that normal activity leading to a soft tissue injury suggests instability in that muscle to begin with].

Found out one of my buddies was at the Chiefs practice this morning. Texts:

"I was 20 ft away from him when it happened. He didn't look to be in a lot of pain and didn't even fall down when it happened."

"Field was very wet this morning. Had some rain last night. I'd pay attention and see if he's back at practice this week. If not then I would be concerned."

Well, I was seriously considering (maybe 50/50?) taking Jamaal Charles #1 overall in my 12 team PPR draft this coming Sunday. This has at least restored me to sanity and got me out of that line of thinking.
This isn't an absurd line of thinking if he's healthy, though it would be hard to pass on AP.

Charles has a legit chance for 70 catches, 600 receiving yards, plus 1200 rushing yards. That would rival AP's numbers last year from a PPR perspective.

Charles has been the 1.02 in many, many leagues. A serious injury would screw a lot of fantasy teams.

I wouldn't make a big deal out of him being "carted off".... a lot of guys have been "carted off" at Chiefs camp regardless of what the injury is. EX: Bowe was carted off for leg cramps early on in Camp. There were a few other guys carted off with minor injuries.

Sounds like Dorsey and Reid are not overly concerned, X-rays were negative but I haven't heard anything on MRI yet. That doesn't mean JC is in the clear yet, but it doesn't sound as bad as some had thought.

Users who are viewing this thread