What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jameis Winston (2 Viewers)

this seems odd to me

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2046812-nfl-scouts-jameis-winston-is-obliterating-his-draft-stock?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-league

Then came the Great Crab Legs Caper. Winston was given a citation for busting out of Publix with some delicious crab meat. Hope it was worth it. Hope he got some dijon mustard to go with them as well, because when you listen to NFL personnel men—and I queried some in the immediate aftermath of the incident—Winston's draft stock is incinerating right before our eyes.

This from an NFL scout: "When I heard about this, I was stunned. He was the top overall pick next year. Was. Not any more. This latest thing shows a continuation of bad judgment. I don't trust him, and I can tell you very few teams in the NFL will trust him."

This from a front-office executive: "He's on his way to falling out of the first round."

This from another scout: "We're talent whores. But we're not total whores. It's almost impossible, at this point, to trust Winston."

Last edited by a moderator:
this seems odd to me

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2046812-nfl-scouts-jameis-winston-is-obliterating-his-draft-stock?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-league

Then came the Great Crab Legs Caper. Winston was given a citation for busting out of Publix with some delicious crab meat. Hope it was worth it. Hope he got some dijon mustard to go with them as well, because when you listen to NFL personnel men—and I queried some in the immediate aftermath of the incident—Winston's draft stock is incinerating right before our eyes.

This from an NFL scout: "When I heard about this, I was stunned. He was the top overall pick next year. Was. Not any more. This latest thing shows a continuation of bad judgment. I don't trust him, and I can tell you very few teams in the NFL will trust him."

This from a front-office executive: "He's on his way to falling out of the first round."

This from another scout: "We're talent whores. But we're not total whores. It's almost impossible, at this point, to trust Winston."
Why do you find this odd? NFL is a big money business and teams spend a lot of money trying not to draft busts or bums.

I still can't get pass stealing soda in a ketchup cup. I'd pass on drafting him just for that dumb s***.
Too bad he didn't go to jail for that. He would have gotten his ####### beat.

"What are you in for?"
This is definitely the most interesting thing about him and his drama. He's the Andy Dufresne of shoplifting. 22 years and he would have stolen a Big Gulp.

Didn't he get in trouble for "stealing" soda at a BK or something too? Doesn't seem to be very bright...at least when it comes to making good life choices. Granted he'll get way more choices than the rest of us, but this is just dumb.

this seems odd to me

Why do you find this odd? NFL is a big money business and teams spend a lot of money trying not to draft busts or bums.
that crab theft pushed this over the top

of course, a lot can change between now and next year's draft

"As reported in the news, last night I received an adult civil citation for petit theft from a local supermarket," Winston said. "I went to the supermarket with the intent to purchase dinner but made a terrible mistake for which I'm taking full responsibility. In a moment of youthful ignorance, I walked out of the store without paying for one of my items.

"As reported in the news, last night I received an adult civil citation for petit theft from a local supermarket," Winston said. "I went to the supermarket with the intent to purchase dinner but made a terrible mistake for which I'm taking full responsibility. In a moment of youthful ignorance, I walked out of the store without paying for one of my items.
2/10

i remember when i was unaware that you had to pay for things in the supermarket, which is odd because i do not recall very much of preschool

Publix Snow Crab Legs: Now only $1,200,000.00/lb!

:o

ok...but you're only allowed to use that excuse one more time mr!!!!!!

From the producers of Free Shoes University comes the sequel Free Snowcrab-legs University. He should be suspended for the season, no ifs and or butts about it. They need to send a message that you won't be suspended for possible acts of of rape no sir but by god you go and steal some crab legs n crawfish at Publix and your butt will be all but kicked off the team. You gotta draw the line somewhere, let them know this isn't Gainesville for God's sake, we have law and order around here.

My guess is he has been getting hooked up at Publix (people looking the other way) for some time, and they finally did something about it.

From the producers of Free Shoes University comes the sequel Free Snowcrab-legs University. He should be suspended for the season, no ifs and or butts about it. They need to send a message that you won't be suspended for possible acts of of rape no sir but by god you go and steal some crab legs n crawfish at Publix and your butt will be all but kicked off the team. You gotta draw the line somewhere, let them know this isn't Gainesville for God's sake, we have law and order around here.
A Gator player got caught stealing a Taco. At least Jameis went for the good stuff.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=7757431&src=desktop

A Gator player got caught stealing a Taco. At least Jameis went for the good stuff.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=7757431&src=desktop
:confused:

gator ate the taco, but Winston got crabs...not sure how you figure he got the good stuff

My guess is he has been getting hooked up at Publix (people looking the other way) for some time, and they finally did something about it.
Definitely. I was at a restaurant once up there and a table of players were next to me. Plate after plate after plate of free food. Got up and left.....no bill. And none of those guys were 1/100th as good or famous as Winston.

His biggest mistake was doing it at a large corporation that doesn't give a #### about him.

In high school, I knew a lot of people that got "hooked up" by their friends at restaurants. Winston is obviously getting the star treatment around town but it's time he grows up and realizes that stealing is stealing.

Definitely. I was at a restaurant once up there and a table of players were next to me. Plate after plate after plate of free food. Got up and left.....no bill. And none of those guys were 1/100th as good or famous as Winston.His biggest mistake was doing it at a large corporation that doesn't give a #### about him.
This is probably why Publix isn't pushing it too hard & is cool with the citation. If they were to dig too deep they would probably notice a pattern of employees giving food away to players. It's like club/restaurant owners giving free stuff to celebs. If anything people should be commending Jameis for not snitching on some poor little college kid for hooking him up. After all he has gone through he was still big enough to take the fall for an irrelevant fellow student. This "no snitching" mentality may not carry much weight in the media or in the FFA, but it is really big in the urban community & the locker room. If anything this just proves Jameis is a great leader and will stick up for anyone.

Quez said:
Premier said:
Quez said:
Definitely. I was at a restaurant once up there and a table of players were next to me. Plate after plate after plate of free food. Got up and left.....no bill. And none of those guys were 1/100th as good or famous as Winston.His biggest mistake was doing it at a large corporation that doesn't give a #### about him.
This is probably why Publix isn't pushing it too hard & is cool with the citation. If they were to dig too deep they would probably notice a pattern of employees giving food away to players. It's like club/restaurant owners giving free stuff to celebs. If anything people should be commending Jameis for not snitching on some poor little college kid for hooking him up. After all he has gone through he was still big enough to take the fall for an irrelevant fellow student. This "no snitching" mentality may not carry much weight in the media or in the FFA, but it is really big in the urban community & the locker room. If anything this just proves Jameis is a great leader and will stick up for anyone.
:spin: x 1,000

Quez said:
Premier said:
Quez said:
This is a genuinely interesting take, and I'd really be curious to know if that's actually what happened.

It would change my opinion about this particular incident a lot.

Quez said:
Premier said:
Quez said:
Lol. It's still theft. Over/Under on his Wonderlic? I'd set the line at 12. I'll take the under at 10.

No, you're total whores. Cam Newton steals a $1700 laptop and has the gall to even put his name on it in huge letters and he still goes #1. This will have have absolutely no impact on his eventual draft position.

Quez said:
Premier said:
Quez said:
Lol. It's still theft. Over/Under on his Wonderlic? I'd set the line at 12. I'll take the under at 10.
Way over. For all the dumb stuff he's doing off the field, he is said to be extremely book smart. I believe Stanford accepted him and even for football, they aren't taking meatheads.

It's a shame he messed up his reputation so bad, because for his first year there he was a model student athlete.

Quez said:
Premier said:
Quez said:
This is a genuinely interesting take, and I'd really be curious to know if that's actually what happened.

It would change my opinion about this particular incident a lot.
Anywhere these guys go, the college kids at the register look the other way. I imagine this time though some publix manager was upstairs watching and called it in.

I wonder how he actually took them? Did he just walk out, hide under shirt, or were they not scanned when he went through the line? He probably could have got off if he just didn't answer the knock at the door or lied. Don't they have to catch you in the act?

I wonder why they don't have security cameras? That is ridiculous in 2014. People have security cameras watching their houses, but a huge corporation like Publix can't spare .0001% of their profits to set up a security system?

I wonder how he actually took them? Did he just walk out, hide under shirt, or were they not scanned when he went through the line? He probably could have got off if he just didn't answer the knock at the door or lied. Don't they have to catch you in the act?

I wonder why they don't have security cameras? That is ridiculous in 2014. People have security cameras watching their houses, but a huge corporation like Publix can't spare .0001% of their profits to set up a security system?
I was certain you were joking in your last post about him being congratulated for not snitching, but now you're advocating he should have lied or not opened the door? By admitting it, he avoided being charged, having a criminal record and only has to do 20hrs of community service.

Publix definitely has cameras. They reviewed them and noticed it was him.

I imagine he went through the line, scanned some cheap items and the cashier tossed the crab legs in the bag. That's what usually happens at least.

Quez said:
Premier said:
Quez said:
:goodposting: People throw around the term "hero" too liberally these days, but it certainly applies here.

Quez said:
Premier said:
Quez said:
You've watched too many movies.

If he wasn't bright enough to realize that his every move will be scrutinized after the alleged rape charges, he probably isn't bright enough to not do something like this again. Even if he makes it through this one, he'll do something else. Actions like this, that to most of us, are clearly costing a player millions and millions of dollars, are usually the result of a flaw deep in their personality and what they view as acceptable or unacceptable behavior. In analogy terms, he's got a rugby rulebook and he's playing football.

See also: Davis, Fred

I was certain you were joking in your last post about him being congratulated for not snitching, but now you're advocating he should have lied or not opened the door? By admitting it, he avoided being charged, having a criminal record and only has to do 20hrs of community service.
I'm not advocating that he should have lied. I am saying he could of, but didn't because he is a stand up guy.

Users who are viewing this thread