What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Justified (1 Viewer)

I wasn't too sure about the hat thing either. But in the end I'm on board with it because it was in large part a tip of the hat *groan* to Elmore's original vision of Raylan.

Just thinking back on the finale, I'm just so pleased with how it ended. Finale's are not always all that great. This one was. I'm gonna miss this show. It's one I can see me going back to.

Re-watching the pilot, I was laughing out loud at the Raylan/Dewey Crowe scenes. Such great characters in this show.
seeing Dewey playing a bit part as a mild mannered Michigan detective in battle creek is depressing.

Just thinking back on the finale, I'm just so pleased with how it ended. Finale's are not always all that great. This one was. I'm gonna miss this show. It's one I can see me going back to.

Re-watching the pilot, I was laughing out loud at the Raylan/Dewey Crowe scenes. Such great characters in this show.
seeing Dewey playing a bit part as a mild mannered Michigan detective in battle creek is depressing.
Dewey and Dickey Bennett were two of my favorite villains in this show. Both extreme and over-the-top, but just awesome.

after it finished, I was pretty bummed. I've enjoyed this series a lot over the years...more than some others that get lots of hype. when he was driving Ava back and that "never leave Harlan county alive" song was playing, it kinda brought everything back together for me. even if they eventually do make it out, the whole series is about one small corner of Kentucky, and the people that are either living out or fighting against their family legacies. pretty cool.

coyote5 said:
belljr said:
Anyone else forget Avs was pregnant
What do you mean forget? When was it ever mentioned other than the reveal?
She told Boyd like 3 episodes ago

or Katherine. ... it was mentioned or at least I thought it was

maybe not :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
what was boyd's last words? Couldn't hear it.
We dug coal together.
It was a great final scene - but hard to reconcile with the fact that Raylan was willing to kill the guy a few scenes earlier (although it was years) - and was mad that he didn't get the opportunity.
He wanted to, but he never could. He had the opportunity and part of him wanted to pull the trigger. If you go back and watch the pilot, they had a "showdown" at the end of the pilot, and Raylan shot him, but he didn't shoot to kill, which his boss pointed out at the time.

Raylan never could kill Boyd. He obviously would have killed Boyd had Boyd drawn on him, but neither would make the move to kill, which they both discussed in the final scene.
The part that doesn't fly for me is Raylan wanted him to draw - he wanted to kill him.

what was boyd's last words? Couldn't hear it.
We dug coal together.
It was a great final scene - but hard to reconcile with the fact that Raylan was willing to kill the guy a few scenes earlier (although it was years) - and was mad that he didn't get the opportunity.
He wanted to, but he never could. He had the opportunity and part of him wanted to pull the trigger. If you go back and watch the pilot, they had a "showdown" at the end of the pilot, and Raylan shot him, but he didn't shoot to kill, which his boss pointed out at the time.

Raylan never could kill Boyd. He obviously would have killed Boyd had Boyd drawn on him, but neither would make the move to kill, which they both discussed in the final scene.
The part that doesn't fly for me is Raylan wanted him to draw - he wanted to kill him.
My take: Yes he wanted to kill him and yes he wanted to lock Ava up, but he's never shot anyone who didn't draw on him first.

Ava: “What’s it prove, letting him live?”

“Maybe nothing,” Raylan said.

A questionable shooting got him sent to Harlan to begin with. And now it's 4+ years later. He's been playing part time daddy down in Florida, Boyd has been locked up and Ava has been in hiding. Raylan has let it go. “Sometimes I think the only way to get out of our town alive is to have never been born there,” Boyd said. “But then of course there’s you.”

And nobody has mentioned the best line of the season. Forget those lame lines some of you throw up as great.

Art - "I still don't know what she sees in you"

Raylan - "It would be weird if you did"
My favorite line of the night as well.

I loved the ending. Maybe a little too conveniently wrapped up, but that's ok.

The Raylan/Boon showdown was great.

Loved that they did the "four years later" fast forward. It made it a little suspenseful, thinking that at any moment, someone from Raylan's past was going to jump out and shoot him down.

Loved that Raylan made Ava wait a good 5 minutes before he told her he wasn't bringing her in.

Loved the final scene with Raylan and Boyd and Boyd's final line.

The Boyd Crowder Translatorhttp://www.breitbart.com/blog/2014/02/13/boyd-crowder-translater/

WHAT HE SAYS:I fear that within my belly stirs the emanations of desire for a product that sates the ache within

WHAT HE MEANS:

I’m hungry

WHAT HE SAYS:

Well, my darling, being a lowly omnivore like yourself, I shall choose from this glorious list of animal flesh – the edible prize that men have hunted and killed for centuries, incidentally – a rounded flesh of cow, slipped within a doughy mattress, saddled with cheddar

WHAT HE MEANS:

I’ll have a cheeseburger.

WHAT HE SAYS

Well, well, well – I hesitate to ask what brings us the pleasure of this divine coincidence that we find ourselves crossing paths this fine spring morning

HE MEANS:

What are you doing here?

WHAT HE SAYS:

I fear my brother I am in a quandary as to your inner thoughts and the impact of said ruminations on your future actions in this here hollow

WHAT HE MEANS:

What’s up?

WHAT HE SAYS:

Be that as it may, I sense within me a growing, nagging torpor that seeks a temporary hibernation in a solitary area for comfort and slumber.

WHAT HE MEANS:

I’m going to bed.

The Boyd Crowder Translator

http://www.breitbart.com/blog/2014/02/13/boyd-crowder-translater/

WHAT HE SAYS:I fear that within my belly stirs the emanations of desire for a product that sates the ache within

WHAT HE MEANS:

I’m hungry

WHAT HE SAYS:

Well, my darling, being a lowly omnivore like yourself, I shall choose from this glorious list of animal flesh – the edible prize that men have hunted and killed for centuries, incidentally – a rounded flesh of cow, slipped within a doughy mattress, saddled with cheddar

WHAT HE MEANS:

I’ll have a cheeseburger.

WHAT HE SAYS

Well, well, well – I hesitate to ask what brings us the pleasure of this divine coincidence that we find ourselves crossing paths this fine spring morning

HE MEANS:

What are you doing here?

WHAT HE SAYS:

I fear my brother I am in a quandary as to your inner thoughts and the impact of said ruminations on your future actions in this here hollow

WHAT HE MEANS:

What’s up?

WHAT HE SAYS:

Be that as it may, I sense within me a growing, nagging torpor that seeks a temporary hibernation in a solitary area for comfort and slumber.

WHAT HE MEANS:

I’m going to bed.
I don't know if any of those are actual quotes or not - but that's the way we were used to Boyd talking and what made him so great.

The dialogue of Boyd this year was a shadow of prior years.

Black hat just wasn't right though.
I was assuming that was Boone's hat. Raylan took it from him showing he was a poser. :shrug:
It was, just saying it didn't look right on him. It was kind of a crappy hat to begin with and after wearing the white hat all that time the black hat wasn't right.

On another note, finally got the wife to sit down and watch the pilot...and my ISP went down. <_<

I want to pick this story back up in a couple years when Boyd gets paroled. He decides to get out of Harlan alive and move across the country to California; where Raylan has not so coincidentally been transferred and hooked up with Ava. She's a perfect fit for him afterall. Being she's a fugitive he can keep her at bay from all the relationship nonsense he's incapable of, but when he needs company, she's a pretty good choice. And he gets to participate vicariously in the raising of Boyd's kid, which helps him with his own daddy issues. Of course Boyd blows some #### up and Raylan knows the MO. The reunion is touching for awhile but not after Boyd follows Raylan to Ava's... and sees his kid.

Damn, I miss this show.

Good show, good ending

Loved that Duffy got out, nice touch

Writing was pretty good the whole run.

I'll miss it.

prosopis said:
I wasn't too sure about the hat thing either. But in the end I'm on board with it because it was in large part a tip of the hat *groan* to Elmore's original vision of Raylan.
I am unaware of this, please explain.
Leonard hated the hat that Olyphant and company chose for Givens when the show began. In his books he had the character wear what they called a "businessman's stetson" instead of the more cowboy-ish stetson Givens wore in the show. The book stetson had a smaller brim than the show stetson and, apparently, it was just about the only thing about the show that Leonard didn't like. I've seen/read a few interviews with people involved in the show who said that Leonard just could never quite let that one go. I thought having Boon trying to sort of imitate Givens and then having Givens take that hat from him and wear it after his got shot was kind of a cool way to work in an homage to Leonard and a little in-joke about the hat.

There was also a point early in the series (first couple episodes somewhere, I believe) where Rachel asked Givens what's up with the hat. His answer was something like, "just tried it on one day and it fit." That's the same line he gives her at the end of the finale when she makes a comment about his new hat.

Thought the finale was really good and the entire show was very true to Leonard's writing and his characters. Well done.

prosopis said:
I am unaware of this, please explain.
Leonard hated the hat that Olyphant and company chose for Givens when the show began. In his books he had the character wear what they called a "businessman's stetson" instead of the more cowboy-ish stetson Givens wore in the show. The book stetson had a smaller brim than the show stetson and, apparently, it was just about the only thing about the show that Leonard didn't like. I've seen/read a few interviews with people involved in the show who said that Leonard just could never quite let that one go. I thought having Boon trying to sort of imitate Givens and then having Givens take that hat from him and wear it after his got shot was kind of a cool way to work in an homage to Leonard and a little in-joke about the hat.

There was also a point early in the series (first couple episodes somewhere, I believe) where Rachel asked Givens what's up with the hat. His answer was something like, "just tried it on one day and it fit." That's the same line he gives her at the end of the finale when she makes a comment about his new hat.

Thought the finale was really good and the entire show was very true to Leonard's writing and his characters. Well done.
Didnt Raylan`s gun holster have a flap on it? wouldnt that slow down the draw in a showdown ?

And nobody has mentioned the best line of the season. Forget those lame lines some of you throw up as great.

Art - "I still don't know what she sees in you"

Raylan - "It would be weird if you did"
I liked this show a lot. I think my favorite parts were the Art and Raylan banter.

Man I am going to miss this show. Watched an interview where Raylin and Boyd were speaking about the series, and how Walton "Boyd" almost didn't accept the part of Boyd. I can't imagine anyone better being cast in the Raylin's or Boyd's role. Sad to see it come to an end. I have been a big Olyphant fan since his days on Deadwood.

No way Ava would have still had that thick Kentucky drawl living in California for any decent amount of time.
A lot of people don't lose their accents when they move to another region. My cousin has lived up north for over 30 years, and she still sounds like a country girl from the south.
I have American friends in London who've lived there 30 years who sound more American than I do.

Just finished Season 1. Great start, looking forward to 60 more fresh episodes. I haven't watched the Shield so this is my first time seeing Goggins on screen. His character, his acting were the highlight of season 1.

Boyd Crowder has a way with words. His lines and more importantly his delivery are some of the finest acting I have ever seen grace the small screen. Now I understand why some of you had your panties in a bunch on page 1 of this thread when it wasn't clear how big of a role he would have in this series.

Is Goggins this good in The Shield?

Boyd Crowder has a way with words. His lines and more importantly his delivery are some of the finest acting I have ever seen grace the small screen. Now I understand why some of you had your panties in a bunch on page 1 of this thread when it wasn't clear how big of a role he would have in this series.

Yes he is.

Finally watched the last season. Got hooked on this a couple of years back... just before the last season first aired on Prime and had to wait for it to go to Prime. Then kind of forgot to go back and watch because I just haven't been using Prime to watch shows much recently. 

What a great series. Olyphant and Goggins are just perfect the whole way through. The supporting cast almost never disappointed. Very enjoyable. 

The ending seemed to be a good way to end it. I think it showed how Givens as much as he thought he was driven to get Boyd really couldn't just go the whole way. And that series finale really highlighted that in a solid way. I think Givens was hoping Boyd would level the gun at him and give him an excuse and when Boyd didn't- Givens being a good hearted guy couldn't cross that line into out right murder. I liked the old gunslinger stand off at the end with Boone. They set it up nicely. My only suggestion on that would have been to have given us more meat on the Boone character. Introduced him before and built him up more than just the last few episodes that we got. It seemed to be the replacement for the last fight the series always seemed to point to of Givens and Boyd but since that went the other way- we had Givens and Boone. 

Very worth a binge feast for anyone reading this and not having already partaken. 

. I liked the old gunslinger stand off at the end with Boone. They set it up nicely. My only suggestion on that would have been to have given us more meat on the Boone character. Introduced him before and built him up more than just the last few episodes that we got. It seemed to be the replacement for the last fight the series always seemed to point to of Givens and Boyd but since that went the other way- we had Givens and Boone. 
I agree with this.  I felt the Boone arc was too fast and shoehorned in.

Goggins is great in the Shield. 

I'm not sure anyone is as good in anything as Goggins is in Justified. 

Great show...I just recently binged the whole thing not realizing the last season was the last season till the very end.  Was a little bummed when I woke up to that fact.

The Shield changed the TV game as much as the Sopranos did. 
I see The Shield as being the the fuel for us to have shows like Justified, Sons of Anarchy, The Americans, Breaking Bad, etc. (And I never really watched The Shield... maybe one full episode and a few pieces of others). 

Much like Sopranos really is the reason why we have shows like Rome, Game of Thrones, Deadwood, Westworld etc. Maybe even more so. I think Sopranos gave HBO and later the other premium movies channels and even later the upstarts like Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc the road to relevance in the age of "on demand". You need to have content that is only found on the subscription to your service. HBO (and now others) have invested heavily in creating original content. Good for us. Yea capitalism!

Users who are viewing this thread