What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

K-12 Tuition - who’s paying it and how much? (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
Offshoot of another thread. I put 3 kids through college. Happy that they graduated with zero student debt. Pretty big undertaking and it took discipline and sacrifices to make it happen. But it pales in comparison to the umpteen people I’ve heard who pay as much as I did for 4-5 years of college EVERY year starting at Kindergarten. I’m talking $10-60K per kid per year, every year. And then college. It’s a mind blowing sacrifice and amount of money in my mind.

My question is - why? Some say in their areas public schools are so bad that private school is the only option. Really? My thinking is if you have enough scratch for your FBG offspring to go to a private school you have enough money to move to an area with a great school district. So, is it that? Was the classroom size really the tipping point? Is it to give your kid a better shot at an Ivy League school? Is it keeping up with the Joneses? Is it that you or your spouse went to private school and don’t want to send your kids to something “lesser”? For those with kids out of school now, how much of a difference do you really think it made? Happy with your decision? Any regrets?

For FBG’s with Chet money it really doesn’t matter. But I know people who make far less than me paying $100K a year for their 3 kids to go to middle school. That blows my mind. I admire anyone who sacrifices to give their kids a great head start in life. Just wondering what the ROI really is K-12

Last edited:
The public school system sucks everywhere in the area. My wife and I both attended school in the same district we currently reside. We are paying 1/7 of our household income for one of our two kids to go private school. I sat down with both kids and had an open and honest discussion about public and private school. One kid wanted private school and the other wanted to stay in public school. One kid is much smarter than the other academically, the other kid is extremely street smart and has no desire for college. I hope to change that, but I will not force the issue. The kid not going to private school wanted guitar lessons, and gets a private lesson weekly. I make a lot less than most here and I am trying to provide the best education available for a kid who takes full advantage of the opportunity. I sacrifice a lot trying to give my kids the support I never had growing up. GGs stories aren't far from the tree. I am close to both my kids and there are no topics off the table for either kid. I have not lied to my kids about anything, that includes Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. Any questions they have are answered truthfully. I feel a little guilty at times not sending both kids to private school, but each kid is happy with the education they are receiving. I support them both in anything they want to learn, even adult topics. My wife sometimes gets embarrassed by some of the conversations that arise from the kids' questions but I would rather my kids learn about sex, drugs and rock n roll from me than their peers.

Good job Judge Smalls on not straddling your kids with student loans! I worked my way through college with no debt. Both of my kids know I will do everything in my power to keep them from needing student loans, even the one with no current desire to attend college. I sure hope that changes.

Offshoot of another thread. I put 3 kids through college. Happy that they graduated with zero student debt. Pretty big undertaking and it took discipline and sacrifices to make it happen. But it pales in comparison to the umpteen people I’ve heard who pay as much as I did for 4-5 years of college EVERY year starting at Kindergarten. I’m talking $10-60K per kid per year, every year. And then college. It’s a mind blowing sacrifice and amount of money in my mind.

My question is - why? Some say in their areas public schools are so bad that private school is the only option. Really? My thinking is if you have enough scratch for your FBG offspring to go to a private school you have enough money to move to an area with a great school district. So, is it that? Was the classroom size really the tipping point? Is it to give your kid a better shot at an Ivy League school? Is it keeping up with the Joneses? Is it that you or your spouse went to private school and don’t want to send your kids to something “lesser”? For those with kids out of school now, how much of a difference do you really think it made? Happy with your decision? Any regrets?

For FBG’s with Chet money it really doesn’t matter. But I know people who make far less than me paying $100K a year for their 3 kids to go to middle school. That blows my mind. I admire anyone who sacrifices to give their kids a great head start in life. Just wondering what the ROI really is K-12

Ideally, parents should want their children in environments where

1) Authority figures are setting a good example in all things. But that starts first in the home. Live your life the way your want your child to live when they become an adult.

2) Toxic elements are regularly culled in absolute terms. Bad teachers, students who are high risk threats, bad administrators, bad logistics, bad infrastructure, bad policy, etc, etc. You want your child around a structure that is constantly looking to improve and will shed anyone not in line with that vision

3) Practical life skills are taught in some fashion or the pathway to such is implied. A school environment with no practical boundaries teaches kids to have no boundaries. You want a culture and tone that reinforces discipline and rewards hard work and taking good measured risks.

That can be either in a public school or a private school.

@Otis said something in his complaining/fitness thread a year or two ago, that he put on weight, was angry, yelling at his family, sullen, isolated, drinking too much, fighting with his wife, depressed and basically hated his life. The one he chose. I'll always give Otis credit for one thing, when I lay into him, he takes it on the chin. He understands I'm making an objective point for a reason, I'm not looking to draw blood for the sake of sport. In a situation like that, does it matter what kind of school that Otis sends those girls to in life? It could be public or private, it could expensive or run down, it could be the best rated in the entire world. But if they come home and they get a piss poor example of how to conduct oneself, then what does it actually matter?

What I personally discovered about parenthood is part of pushing past what you want, what you feel and what holds you back is to be self aware enough to understand

1) Who you really are as a person and human being. Not your status. Not your job title. Not your bank account. But your character and your disposition. You have to face the ugly parts of yourself, the things you must change and the unspoken section of your core that will always be broken.

2) Who your children will never be. You have to be honest with your children and their practical abilities and limitations. Too many parents demand their kids to be something they are not, that they don't have within themselves, that is not authentic to their growing value system.

I'm not a good man. I will never be a good man. But I strove to try to put together the skills, experience and tool set to be a good parent. I had to comes to terms that I'm good at hurting people. I enjoy it. I built a lucrative career essentially on understanding how to hurt people in creative effective permanent ways. Massacre their entire life or prevent other threats from slaughtering someone else's life in the same fashion. I like the taste of blood in my mouth.

My godson is a different person. He's a good kid. He's built differently. For that I will always be grateful. He's not as ruthless. He's not someone with the outright savage mindset. It would not authentic to whom he is really is as a person.

Fatherhood is like coaching. You cannot fix and change everything. You focus on the fewer things that will have the most exponential returns. If we work on these three things, it will push the kid's development 65 percent of where he wants to go and chase his dreams. Something of that nature is how you have to approach practical development. I had a neighbor in Brooklyn who has a kid who wouldn't stop playing video games. I said to him, well you are frustrated, the kid needs to understand how to earn a living at some point, so push him towards skills and a career where he writes or builds or works on making video games. If that's his "passion", then set some structure to push some practical productivity towards that passion. Don't make it a war of contention in your relationship, turn it into a Win/Win opportunity.

A family unit is like a ship. Generally speaking, it usually falls to the father to be the captain of that ship. The first thing a captain needs to do is set the pace, set the tone, and set the example.

A MAN LEADS FIRST AND FOREMOST BY HOW HE LIVES HIS LIFE.

Public school or private, children need to be around good examples. If a child consistently is around good examples and there is a persistent uprooting and removal of toxic people and toxic elements out of the picture, the chances for that child to be a fully functioning adult with actual integrity and purpose rises in a dramatic fashion.

My kids go to really poorly graded public schools. We can afford to move to areas with "better" schools, or put them in private school, but we choose not to. My kids will be fine. They will be enriched by experiencing a variety life and understanding where others are coming from.

It's been challenging to come to this point for us. The struggle of kids in their classroom and school is real. I want my kids to be happy and to be good people. I think we're setting them up for that, even if it means that they are less likely to attend prestigious colleges as a result.

I pay about $9k tuition per kid for 4th grade, 3rd grade, and kindergarten. With fees and other charges it is probably >$10k. It is a bit sickening to me to pay that, but my wife and I both attended private catholic schools so we honestly never even considered anything different for our kids. The education IMO is superior to public education in our area as well, and it includes faith, which is important to us.

I also drive a Toyota Highlander and my wife was driving a 2012 vehicle until a few months ago when it had some major issues. We bought a slightly used Volvo XC 90 T6 Inscription for $40-something thousand with trade - which is the most I’ve ever paid for a vehicle. I guess my point is, we don’t spend a lot compared to many people on those purchases but we’re willing to pay the tuition.

Good call out on the faith angle. I get that. Your other point is key as well - I wonder what the percentage of parents who went to private school end up putting their kids in private school as well. Bet it’s high

I pay about $9k tuition per kid for 4th grade, 3rd grade, and kindergarten. With fees and other charges it is probably >$10k. It is a bit sickening to me to pay that, but my wife and I both attended private catholic schools so we honestly never even considered anything different for our kids. The education IMO is superior to public education in our area as well, and it includes faith, which is important to us.

I've had some employees of mine say they'd take a big paycut if there was essentially barracks housing and a full time teacher available ( would only work for younger kids) as part of the "benefits" package for work.

The cost of housing and daycare is very punitive for many people, and I pay pretty well against market across all my businesses.

The concept of a mid scale "commune" is not so far fetched from a practicality standpoint. The large issue is you don't want to invest in something like that when you don't know the other people. And you don't want to invest if you actually DO know the other people.

But I've given that some thought. What amounts to barracks system simple housing for my younger single employees. To attract good talent. But that brings problem of it's own ( many will start sleeping with each other, and the you'll have the clique problem, which doesn't bother me socially, but it would end up interfering on an operational level)

During the core phase of the pandemic, I hired tutors in math, science and English/writing and made them available via Zoom, etc, etc for my employees with young kids. It was used pretty heavily and it was good for overall morale, at least with the parents. I could not however logistically justify having a full internal "school" available.

My godson had a full time nanny when he was young. There was always a concern on my part of the balance between having a stronger overreaching hand in some areas and also letting things take their natural course so the kid could learn some life lessons on his own. Getting into fights at school was one of those issues. I believe it's good for young boys to get into scraps with other young boys. However there's the concern of bullying. Then there's the concern your kid might end up being the one that was the bully. And there was the factor that my godson was essentially taught basic boundary/self defense principles from someone like myself. "Put them down fast and cut their throats" doesn't fly so well to other parents of 7th graders.

It's not very easy to find good talent in the personnel area. For example, while I was essentially fully off the forums for probably 12-13 years of the 17-18 years I've been registered here, I've only identified @johnnycakes and @krista4 as those worthy of even an interview on my side of things. I've always thought @David Dodds was uniquely creative in a rare way but that's entirely different as he's likely more on a peer level. So for many companies out there, the idea of providing housing and education as part of the employee package, that is something I can see happening in the near future. But potential liability profile is daunting. For example, there have been some things that krista has said over the years that is impressive. Insightful. But she craves attention. She has the pretty standard issue over educated westernized woman feminist angst streak in her. She wants it known she's a woman here in a sea of mostly Beta males. You put her in a barracks living situation with a bunch of men and also families and kids and I don't know how that shakes out. Won't be good I imagine.

My take on many kids coming out of college today, from the employer viewpoint, is many are exposed to more information and have more access to more information, but many functionally "understand" less. It's not easy to find good problem solvers. I'll give krista that much, I recognize immediately she can self motivate and problem solve, which makes her a high utility type employee in terms of potential.

Employers crave those who can lead themselves and potentially lead others. Many of these young kids have no leadership acumen at all. I mean not even the basic principles that come from standard effective family unit socialization. Modern colleges appear more and more to be training future cannon fodder, and cogs in a wheel to keep the tax base infused, not helping these kids become fully formed people.

When I was single, I didn't think twice about the local school systems. I wasn't married. I didn't have kids. I didn't have siblings with kids. I didn't hang out with too many people who had kids. But when I inherited my godson to raise, then I truly got a full close up view of the total incompetence of the average public school. Even ones in "nicer" areas and with more resources. Then I got a whiff of the incompetence in many private schools too. I can see why some parents pay to the point of their own long term financial demise to get their kids into something they perceive as "better" It's hard to stomach some of the things that some parents see out there. Just the utter lack of integrity from many teachers and administrators. But there are good teachers and good principals and good schools out there, it's just most people will have access as a function of luck or logistics.

I recognize my situation was entirely unique for my godson's education. If he needed a different school, I'd move to a place where that could happen. If he needed a longer commute to get to that school, I could pay someone to drive him daily. I could afford access to things like a nanny where he could get some out of school socialization. If I wanted him in a school, I didn't stress about the potential cost of it. I had essentially an entire lifetime of earning before I had to raise him under my belt.

The end result I see is large corporations will take part in "educating" the children of their employees, but will only see the long term benefit of that if they can turn that into a future feeder system that replicates the "salaryman" dilemma in a place like Japan. Where people literally work themselves to death.

The most anyone can do is try to give a child as much practical life skills type education in their personal households. Part of this equation is that the majority of parents out there today are likely not suited to be parents. If you won't show up at a Jamba Juice or something like that, and put on an apron and shove fruit into blender and sweep some floors but would rather see your kids potentially be homeless in a few months, then why exactly are you a parent in the first place?

Most people don't get that you can't choose two things at once. You cannot, on an individual adult level, choose your narcissism or your fear of failure or your doubt or whatever is holding you back in life, and then also choose what's best for young children. Some people pick their demons, the ones they sleep with at night, over their own kids. Even to the point of risking those kids out on the streets and untethered over it. Again, why are some people parents?

Does that offend people? Because I don't care if it offends people. My parents were horrible people. I certainly would have been better off not being born at all. I did not make it to the other side. I only have the social/cultural/material trappings of "success" where society will say I made it to the other side. But I still carry all of that legacy with me. The evil in them, the evil that decided to choose to have a child and then abandon their child, some of that poison is deep down within me. That was my greatest fear for my godson, that I'd only revert to being the father who outright refused to raise me. I love my godson more than my own life. But I didn't enjoy raising him. Not a single bit of it. I don't begrudge him anything, he was an innocent, but I understand I am not naturally suited to be a parent. The only litmus test I had left was to understand that I had to change the worst parts of myself, so I could try each day to become the kind of man that I wanted him to grow to be, so he'd have a chance in this life.

What did Herb Brooks say to Mike Eruzione? He said - Worry about your own game, trust me, there's plenty there to keep you busy.

I see far too many parents who have not gotten past the worst parts of themselves as individuals. Why try to have a child on top of that? Or multiple children? So they can grow up and be tossed out on the street because you won't work at a Jamba Juice and have to bus a table that might be full of your other local "helicopter over privileged school mom fake friends"?

A highly rated expensive private school does not wash away these other issues above. It doesn't make up for the toxic pathology of what many parents do as discussed above.

@Otis complains endlessly in public about becoming a borderline alcoholic, yelling at his family, being unhealthy physically to the point of risk, acknowledging he's evolved into a fully formed hateful resentful person, for a life he chose no less, and the only person who challenges him on the toxicity of that as a zero example to his actual children is the retired geriatric who is the truly the most "not a good person, not even close" individual here?

The kind of schools out there is a problem. I won't disagree. But the real war for your kid's futures is fought in your homes first. It's fought at an individual level through you and being accountable to reaching your full potential as an authentic person.

we paid $4K - $5K a year for pre-K 25 years ago - don't even want to think about what it is now

wife insisted we send our kids to Catholic school - K through 12 - that was around $4K - $6K though grade school and jr. high

son's HS was $7K a year, my daughter's HS would have been $15K/yr ...but thankfully, she and her best bud, decided they wanted to get into a well-respected public school that had a good separate program for good students ...

ZERO costs to mom and dad ...double touch to heart and points to sky

Some say in their areas public schools are so bad that private school is the only option. Really? My thinking is if you have enough scratch for your FBG offspring to go to a private school you have enough money to move to an area with a great school district.
We stole our house in the housing crash in 2008. We live in a terrible school district. We pay about $10k/yr for K-8. I understand the equity argument, but if we were to move to a good school district we'd pay more for our new mortgage than our current mortgage + tuition. High school may be a different story 18 months from now (gulp), but our house will be paid off before our oldest starts college.

I'm paying through the nose for daycare for my 15 month old, but once she goes to pre-K and beyond it's gonna be all public school the rest of the way. We live in a good area with options for 2 districts, plus a number of good charter schools are nearby.

I don't understand why some parents choose to both work to fund private school when a stay at home parent working with a kid for an extra hour can make up the difference.

What happens if one parent dies?

IMHO, both parents in the modern Western world should be active in functional and productive careers outside the home, so that there is always a "safety valve" in place should one parent tragically perish.

Look at the situation in the other thread. One parent hasn't worked in 15 years. What happens if the primary bread winner dies? There's this automatic assumption that the adult siblings of said parents might take in the kids. Or the parents. Or friends of the family. That doesn't always work out like people think it does.

This isn't even beginning to talk about the raw stress that is placed on the primary bread winner. This is an issue not often discussed because the primary breadwinner in these situations is usually a male, and why pretend about it? Our society in general and many women ( not all but far too many) don't really care if men suffer. Our pain is generally an afterthought.

Career stress did a real number on me. Shaved years and years off my practical lifespan. My health is not great right now and decades upon decades upon decades of pure grind and attrition didn't help. And I did many things to curb that decline like regular exercise and good diet, etc, etc.

The math can get very tricky as well. Again, look at the situation in the other thread. Selling all your extra stuff only has limited mileage if you only have one income. So what happens when you can't pay the rent anymore? Well most people max out their credit cards and borrow money if they can from relatives and/or "friends" Then what? You can see how the situation can completely spiral out of control quickly, and now those kids will exit college and have to support their now financially destitute parents with busted credit. On top of potential college debt as well? In a world wide pandemic? During this kind of impending financial/economic forecast?

The stay at home parent situation or what really amounts to the stay at home mother situation is often something that is beyond the means of most people, and yes even a large number of people who do it and don't really game out the practical threat factor. I'm talking threat against basic survival and basic necessities here.

I want to be honest. In my godson's generation, there is literally no incentive at all to get married nor have children. Lots of drawbacks and threats, not much upside for most young people, particularly for young men. What's his upside here? He's in a very unique position. He's very young and he's living alone in a house that's fully paid off in a nice area. He's a ripe target for someone looking for a husband and someone wanting to be a SAHM. If he wants to get married and have kids, if that's his choice, I'll support that. But it's disheartening at times to hear him talk. Why marry a girl who has been passed around on Tinder a couple of hundred times before he met her? What incentive is there to build a barn to bring home the cow and when the milk flowed freely for everyone else first?

There's a saying - "If you wouldn't give me the kitten, I don't want the cat"

Meaning if you won't give me your best years, I'm not settling for your decline phase when you are just looking for a steady provider who won't buckle too hard on anything else.

For the people here who are parents with young kids, if you were born 10 years later or 15 years later, would you still make that same decision? It's an interesting question.

I'm not immediately opposed to the idea of a stay at home parent in each and every case. But for the average person out there, it's fraught with real danger. I'm talking real practical danger of total financial destruction and being financially destitute long term. Part of being a parent is trying to make sure our kids don't inherit our sins. Think about it, if the mother hasn't worked 15 years and the dad dies or something tragic happens, that's going to basically thrust the 15 year old kid in a position to where he has to speed up to do heavy lifting to financially support the mom through old age and possibly long term care and also uplift the 11 year old too. How does that leave a positive legacy for a kid?

Some kids are going to have to do without. Or go to school in a mediocre to bad school district.

You cannot move forward in life seeing complex issues in terms of only good ideal choice versus bad choice. Sometimes all you get in life is bad choice versus pretty horrible choice, and you have to learn to live with the bad choice. I see many parents and the private school issue go through that. They can only assess their children's education in terms of it being the good pure choice in a vacuum without any context to all the other inherent risks involved.

Don't have kids, but live in an area with high COL and bad public schools. Most of my friends spend thousands of dollars for primary and secondary education, with a total exceeding $100K by the time they graduate HS. As a product of public and state schools, I think it's kinda crazy, and a little driven by peer pressure, but their prerogative.

I think great schools help kids at the top of classes academically, and those at the very bottom. For middle of the road students, it probably doesn't matter.

I don't understand why some parents choose to both work to fund private school when a stay at home parent working with a kid for an extra hour can make up the difference.
This was our financial reality when our youngest started school, but while our promotions to date aren't paying to the scale previous generations benefited from we're not paycheck-to-paycheck anymore.

These issues seem so highly personalized to me that its really hard to use broad-brush concepts or judge others' decisions in most cases because we're all coming from a different place, have difference goals and things that are important to us. The one constant is that everyone wants to do the best by their own kids above all. For us, it is important to my wife and I to live in the city, and that carries with it certain challenges for schooling. Yes, we could have easily moved to the suburbs and largely solved the k-12 education problem, but that's not where we want to live and raise our kids. We have lots of friends in that situation, who have moved out of our community specifically to save money on schools, and obviously there's no judgment for that decision and we certainly envy them in some ways, but we like it where we are. Both our kids went to a K-8 catholic school about 3 blocks from our house that is a great part of our community and a great place for them to learn and interact with a very wide diversity of kids from all sorts of backgrounds. I'm an atheist and my wife is a non-practicing catholic, but they accept us anyway. That's about $2,500 per year (plus untold time and money volunteering at school and participating in various charity events throughout the year). My daughter is still there. My son is now a senior at a local Catholic high school that is about $15k per year. He loves it and we love it - been a fantastic experience for him. Our daughter may follow the same path or maybe she'll go to one of the several fantastic public schools in the city (but it won't be the one nearest to our house.) When they go to college, they will have to take on some debt and likely have a job. That's the way we both want it to be. My wife and I both worked throughout college and graduated with debt and that's what we want for our kids as well.

I landed in my community partly due to sheer luck -- my employer just happened to be one of a handful of places hiring in my field when I happened to be on the market. I realize now that some of the stuff we took for granted or saw as simply nice perks, like moderate housing prices, good public schools, and no commute, basically amounted to playing most of our adulthood on story mode. Our lives would have been different if we had to pay five-figure tuition every year for two kids.

My oldest went public the whole way, my next two went to private high schools. My general opinion is that you get more bang for your buck investing in your kids during their high school years than you do in college. The HS years are more formative, habits that last a lifetime are made. A kid who is smart but content to coast/hide in HS classes with 30 or more kids will likely have a hard time when the heat gets turned up in college. That same kid in a private school with 12 kids in a class where everyone is there to learn, and there is no choice but to participate and be prepared for class every day, will be much better prepared for college/life. As painful as it is to write the tuition checks the impact on my two who've gone the private route has been transformative for them, academically and socially. My oldest (smartest of the bunch) public schooler has also turned out just fine - she was ranked 2nd in her HS class and is about to graduate from an excellent college. She didn't "need" the individualized attention the private school experience provides, but even in her case as a natural high-achiever I think a combo of Private HS/inexpensive State U would have yielded a more prepared adult than the Public HS/expensive Private University combo she's wrapping up.

I went to a bad school in a bad part of town and honestly I think it made me a better person.

I'm not sure we quite have Chet money but we make really good money and our kids still go to below average rated public schools. Both are doing very well.

I'm a reasonably big believer in the public school system. If for no other reason than being a teacher is a really crappy job with really crappy pay so typically the only people willing to take that on are people that really believe in dedicating their life to helping kids. Not with 100% hit rate or anything (though I'm sure the same is true with private schools) but I know a lot of teachers and almost everyone one of them I'd consider among the most genuinely good people I know.

I'm also not convinced that you actually gain much of anything with the money spent on private schools. I'm sure it works for some people but I know plenty of people I grew up with that went to private schools and are grade A d-bags, and plenty others that did poor academically and did not succeed in life.

A kid who is smart but content to coast/hide in HS classes with 30 or more kids will likely have a hard time when the heat gets turned up in college. That same kid in a private school with 12 kids in a class where everyone is there to learn, and there is no choice but to participate and be prepared for class every day, will be much better prepared for college/life
A kid that is content in that way isn't really going to change their innate laziness just by going to a different school with higher expectations. They will still do the bare minimum to get by because that is there personality. They just have to work a bit harder to get by in the smaller class. That also doesn't mean that will change them for when they get to college.

I also think a kid that wants to learn will learn in public school and a kid that doesn't won't in private school. The kid's attitude and work ethic are the most important part of learning and they can get what they need in either scenario if they want to and work for it.

I made friends with a Korean kid in high school, and when I went to his house for the first time, his parents both had a discussion with him before dinner regarding school. His classes, what he was working on, anything he didn't understand. This was an almost daily thing for him, from what I could tell. I had never seen that at any of my other friends homes. Certainly not in mine. I grew up seeing so many bad parents that they seemed like fine regular parents that seeing involved parents shocked me.

I'll bet money on a kid with involved parents in a sh*t school system 7 days a week.

I made friends with a Korean kid in high school, and when I went to his house for the first time, his parents both had a discussion with him before dinner regarding school. His classes, what he was working on, anything he didn't understand. This was an almost daily thing for him, from what I could tell. I had never seen that at any of my other friends homes. Certainly not in mine. I grew up seeing so many bad parents that they seemed like fine regular parents that seeing involved parents shocked me.

I'll bet money on a kid with involved parents in a sh*t school system 7 days a week.
Good point. There's definitely something to be said from interacting with other people from different walks of life (wealth, intellect, race, etc.) in a public school.

My oldest went public the whole way, my next two went to private high schools. My general opinion is that you get more bang for your buck investing in your kids during their high school years than you do in college. The HS years are more formative, habits that last a lifetime are made. A kid who is smart but content to coast/hide in HS classes with 30 or more kids will likely have a hard time when the heat gets turned up in college. That same kid in a private school with 12 kids in a class where everyone is there to learn, and there is no choice but to participate and be prepared for class every day, will be much better prepared for college/life. As painful as it is to write the tuition checks the impact on my two who've gone the private route has been transformative for them, academically and socially. My oldest (smartest of the bunch) public schooler has also turned out just fine - she was ranked 2nd in her HS class and is about to graduate from an excellent college. She didn't "need" the individualized attention the private school experience provides, but even in her case as a natural high-achiever I think a combo of Private HS/inexpensive State U would have yielded a more prepared adult than the Public HS/expensive Private University combo she's wrapping up.
Nice post.

I can definitely see what you're saying about the benefit of being surrounded by bright and motivated peers in high school. As somebody who experienced both public and private schools fairly recently, do you think it's possible for a public school to replicate the "private school" environment through tracking? Thinking back to my own high school years (public), most of my classes were college-track, honors, or AP classes with the same general group of 25-40 or so kids, but college was a big step up in rigor and I'm not sure that the "tracked" experience really reproduce what a good private school might have done.

My kids are 18 and 16 so it’s been awhile but I’ll never forget…

At the height, when both were in day care..

$351.50 week for day care
$326 week for health care (this was with work helping a little)

They did private school until HS at roughly $10k each + much more after sports/trips.

Those early years were pretty lean, especially before we got health care paid for by work.

As a whole, Florida isn't known for their public schools. Where we live in Miami, there are some decent ones here and there but traditionally, Florida has lacked in the funding of public education (and without getting too political, I'm not sure that Desantis is helping the situation or hurting it). When we moved down to Miami from Atlanta in 2010, our son had been going to preschool at our church so when we moved, we decided to look for a similar situation. We ended up sending him to a catholic school for elementary in the area we lived. Technically the elementary school went through 8th grade, but with only one class per grade, we decided to look for something else that gave him more options scholastically and athletically. We ended up going to an open house at a private Jesuit, all-boys feeder school that runs from 8th grade through high school. I remember hearing from the senior class president that day and both my wife and I agreed that if our son turns out anything like that young man did, this school was going to be a good choice.

Now that our son is in his last semester of high school, we look back on that move with both some positives and negatives. Overall, the academics were excellent and the preparation for college that the school provided was great. Granted, my son is very similar to me in that he is a good, not great student and not exactly motivated by sitting in a class listening to lectures. But alas, I think he is going to be going into college well-prepared. Socially, I do think that going to an all-boys school has certainly limited his social skills with the opposite sex (and COVID lockdown didn't help) and college next year may come with a bit of an awakening, but overall, we are all happy with the decision that we made at the time. If we had the opportunity to go back in time 7 years, we may have made a different choice, but no huge regrets.

Was the $10k+/year we spend for elementary and $20k/year we spent for MS and HS worth it? I'm not sure that I can definitively say yes or no to that question. We only have one child so we didn't have to really stretch our budget in order for it to happen. Was the education he received above and beyond what he could have gotten at a local public school? I think so.
We have a well-adjusted, intelligent, somewhat mature 18-year-old young man. Is that more a product of nurture or nature? Who knows. Would he have turned out the same if he had gone to public school? Possibly. Does it matter that much to us? Not really.

Edit to add that both my wife and I went to public school K-12. I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, my wife grew up in rural, southern Illinois.

Last edited:
These issues seem so highly personalized to me that its really hard to use broad-brush concepts or judge others' decisions in most cases because we're all coming from a different place, have difference goals and things that are important to us....

I understand your sentiment.

But just because a school is private doesn't mean that zero tax dollars are involved. So the case in the other thread where the wife doesn't work to get the income low enough to qualify the kids for a private school, through something probably like a low income waiver or some additional scholarship program, that money has to come from somewhere.

Every hour you've ever worked at any job or career, does that full earning go to you? No, a portion of each hour, what you earn with your skill, blood, sweat and toil goes to taxes. Now I understand nearly all people aren't going to buckle at paying taxes to help support things like a good public library or a nice park for the public to use or safe roads or helping homeless veterans, things of that nature.

But do you want to subsidize someone who won't wake up early to put on an apron at a Jamba Juice or something like that, so they don't have to sweep some floors and shove some fruit in a blender?

Remember your toil is also a function of your time. The stress you accumulate from earning a living is shaving off years from your life. Stress is a real killer. The money pay out and don't keep means you retire later. Imagine if all the tax dollars you paid that were wasted were not wasted or refunded back to you. Be nice to have more time to spend with your kids when they are young or gain a new hobby or find something else to do with these resources and time.

There are good public schools out there. And some good teachers and good administrators. I wouldn't say they are the rule, they are the exception. The price you pay, in taxes, to subsidize the incompetence of the idiots there however, is a trade off of years of your life. Time. Resources.

OK, in the other thread, if the husband dies, and he's the primary bread winner, if something tragic happens, what happens to thoses two kids? Maybe they go on social assistance of some kind. And I don't think anyone here begrudges their tax dollars going to make sure a 15 year old and an 11 year old don't starve. But do you want your tax dollars paying for the mother who needs "the right kind of work" but not "scut work" And whom thinks working food and beverage is beneath her. Not in my words, but in the words of her own spouse.

Would you trade 2 days of your lifespan to support that? A week? A month? You are losing YEARS of your life. To fund incompetent people out there to inflict their incompetence onto the world, and even to children. I remember when I first had to start going to "school meetings" and I started to meet other parents. That local school district got into some stupid lawsuit because some nimrod administrator did something pointless and idiotic. Well it ended up costing X amount of dollars in a payout settlement or some such. That's money not going to hiring better teachers, getting better books, not getting better lab equipment or investing in another sports program. My tax dollars. Your tax dollars. For what? What good was achieved there?

The litmus test of not being judged depends on if someone else is paying for it or not.

You are losing pieces of your life because someone in New York can't get up every day and be bothered to have to clear a table nor mop a floor.

Start breaking down the raw total cost of what you paid in terms of your actual TIME, which is so precious, for the end result of something like that, over and over again, and then I fully believe your view on "judging" others will take a radical shift.

I want to be fair. I do understand where you are coming from here. No one wants to judge the pain of others. Or if we haven't walked a mile in their shoes. But that rope gets thin and short real quick when the trade off starts to be your time and your life.

What would you give for a little more time with someone who has now passed away in your life?

What would you give for a little more time when your kids were young?

What would you give for a little more time for yourself to pursue something that gives you happiness and purpose and passion?

These are the things you lose to subsidize other people's incompetence and their own self destructive pathology. If they don't to be judged then they should pay for it themselves.

Good call out on the faith angle. I get that. Your other point is key as well - I wonder what the percentage of parents who went to private school end up putting their kids in private school as well. Bet it’s high
I am a product of private schools, Catholic the whole way except for kindergarten. I had no problem (and actually preferred) sending both of my kids to public schools.

It sounds like some of you are in for $100-$200K depending on how many kids you put through private school BEFORE college. And then at least double it for college in some cases. Has to be some serious ROI for an investment approaching a half mil in some cases

Good point. There's definitely something to be said from interacting with other people from different walks of life (wealth, intellect, race, etc.) in a public school.

I see sending a child to private school instead of a public school about the same as I see parents deciding to spend much more to live in a more expensive neighborhood, if they can afford it, because it's safer.

The more expensive something becomes, the more that becomes a barrier to entry. Lots of people like to join the Equinox as a gym in major cities. It's very expensive for most people, but you are getting a certain type of client. Versus a Planet Fitness, where almost anyone can get the money together to afford it. But you get a much different kind of problem at a gym with a very low monthly price.

In general, what would help all public schools ( and even some private schools) is a widespread acceptance of consistent "culling"

i.e. People get fired on a regular basis for not performing. Teachers, administrators, support staff, etc, etc. It's very easy for incompetent people to hide in public education. Again, there are some very excellent people working in public schools, but the worst elements can literally hide for an entire career in some places.

i.e. troublesome students and bad seed students and certain low performing students should be turfed somewhere else. Some kids just need to be sent to a work farm. That's not politically correct to say, but some schools have a small number of kids who just exhaust the entire system, so there's no energy left for the kids trying to move forward.

There are some people and some situations that cannot be fixed. It's just easier to take them off the board entirely.

This is where private schools have more of an advantage. They are held to a cost/benefit standard ( public schools are typically not) and there are more options for practical enforcement.

I'm a lot older than nearly everyone here, at this point, I might actually be the oldest out of the regulars. I remember a time when stupidity was met head on. You were punished for it. Now we don't have that same kind of social structure.

I'm a simple person in this regard. I know what will work. It's just not something that will make most people "feel good" about it. There was a major social shift into refusing what worked in a practical sense simply because the acts in themselves made some people feel bad. You are just not entitled to NEVER feel bad at all in this life. That's a major change in how things work now.

Heads need to be cracked. It needs to happen because it works. It has always worked. I find the majority of people want the effective results but don't want to accept the carnage of how the sausage actually gets made. Some of that happens because they are entitled, some of that happens because most decision makers really have no idea how the actual red line working class lives, and some of that happens because our culture has empowered Betas with platforms that they didn't actually earn.

School administrations are havens for Betas and frankly Betas are never meant to lead anyone. In that context, the level of idiocy that has happen with schools is fairly but tragically predictable.

This all sounds reasonable, but there are other options, including public school/inexpensive college. As a lazy, but not stupid kid I took that path, and it has served me well as a still lazy, stupider adult.

Maybe for developmental stuff it's better to go private school early. My friends' private school kids certainly seem a lot more sophisticated than I was at their age. They might not be as tolerant though, as they're surrounded by a bunch of rich kids, with rich families.

For employment options, I think a prestigious college will take you much further than an elite high school. That being said, the difference is probably only critical for those at the top of their field.

Last edited:
My two teens have been in private school for 8 years. We will be about $500k in by the time they graduate high school, another $300k or so for university coming in the future.

Edit: this cost includes bus transportation directly to our front door and meals, as well as a week long trip to a camp each September.

It is a significant portion of our income as my wife didn’t make much with her business for four of those eight years.

We have sacrificed vacations, owning an investment property or cottage, and driving nice vehicles (currently driving a 2007 Lexus and a 2015 Hyundai). We did at least manage to put away some for retirement but not pay down our mortgage, I think it is about the same principle as when we moved in 12 years ago.

Why?

The primary reason was that our oldest had a hearing issue and public school was never going to work for her. She has thrived.

My wife and I both come from messed up families, me on welfare and her more middle class. That helps a bit with the sacrifice as we are giving up things we never had.

This is a way that we can give our kids more than we had. It is not just the education, it is the peer group.

It is cool to get good grades. It is cool to participate and volunteer. They both have better study habits in grade 9 than I had in university. They are confident, smart, driven kids. With our poor role models I am not sure my wife and I could have parented them alone to this same outcome.

It is hard thinking about the things I could have or the early retirement I have given up but I have zero doubt in my mind that in our situation it has immeasurably changed our daughters lives for the better.

Last edited:
It is cool to get good grades. It is cool to participate and volunteer. They both have better study habits in grade 9 than I had in university. They are confident, smart, driven kids. With our poor role models I am not sure my wife and I could have parented them alone to this same outcome.

Had my godson's parents lived, he would have likely been forced into a situation where he would have spent his moderate youth financially taking care of them in their old age. Their financials were quite bad before he was born, after he was born and at the time of their death.

I did not have to take care of my biological parents in old age. The older Christian couple that took me in, I did have to financially support the wife for a very long time in what amounts to full time long term care but not in an actual long term care facility. The cost was pretty heavy.

I'm not going to get into the deep financials of each and every person here, but given the practical age profiles of what I'm guessing is the majority here, the entire situation looming of the elderly parents who might need financial help/practical care is likely very salient.

Everyone has to make different choices based on different circumstances, so my lingering question on these issues is not so much can the parents retire, but will they become a financial burden onto that child as a young adult in the full time workforce because they themselves don't have the financials to safely retire. Maybe in part for the staggering cost of the child's college education and maybe extending into private school at lower levels as well.

These are many of the concerns for young people today that are driving them away from marriage and having kids, which is collapsing the American birth rate and marriage rate.

If some of you get hit in two directions at once ( paying heavily for the child's education/private school/university) and then a brunt fast hit of a parent or both parents hitting into major medical or needing long term care, etc, etc, that all becomes a very dangerous financial proposition for many.

I've seen many parents say - "We'll figure it out" in terms of financials and what ends up happening is just kicking the can down the road but the weight of that can gets bigger and bigger. I get why it happens, because I'm not rational in all measures with my godson. It's extremely easy to NOT be rational financially when it comes to what I believe he needs or will keep him safe.

I also understand some parents see the financial hit as the best of many "not very good to possibly bad options" which will turn up to the the only range available at the time.

What I've been recommending to my employees, the ones with preteen age range kids, when they ask me, I tell them to encourage their children to become career military. If this world survives ( I doubt it..), they process through 20 years and get a pension and medical. They also can get their college funded outside of their parents. When I was homeless, I had many other homeless people tell me, particularly the veterans, because I was still so young, to immediately join the military, as it was my best last hope to get off the streets for good.

I mean look at the other thread. If the guy was an architect or engineer in the military, there would be an entire range of long term upsides that would help that situation. Housing stipend or base housing, medical, pension, VA loan potential, a support structure for the wife from other military wives, etc, etc. And if the 15 year old would follow some of that path, they'd be relieved of having to pay for his college if he joined as well.

My godson will never have to take care of me in my old age. Had that been on the table when I was asked to be the fallback plan for him, I don't know if I would have still agreed. It would break me inside, tear me in half, if I was in a situation where I was an incapable elderly person and he had to spend his critical 20s/30s/etc/etc to care for me. I would see it as holding him hostage from life. I can see it both ways. Parents pay upfront because they want their kids to have the opportunities they never had themselves. But if doing so creates so much of a financial hit that one traps their moderate youth years, I don't know, I can't see the upside from my viewpoint.

I don't see the practicality of trading one liability for another. Not like that. The cost is what I see as too staggering, the risk involved. But my mileage is likely different than many here.

It is hard thinking about the things I could have or the early retirement I have given up but I have zero doubt in my mind that in our situation it has immeasurably changed our daughters lives for the better.
Awesome stuff man. I'm not sure what direction we'll end up going with all this, but you're setting a great example for your daughters and other fathers.

My kids are 18 and 16 so it’s been awhile but I’ll never forget…

At the height, when both were in day care..

$351.50 week for day care
$326 week for health care (this was with work helping a little)

They did private school until HS at roughly $10k each + much more after sports/trips.

Those early years were pretty lean, especially before we got health care paid for by work.

So $45k/ year after taxes for a private education.

Last edited:

I see sending a child to private school instead of a public school about the same as I see parents deciding to spend much more to live in a more expensive neighborhood, if they can afford it, because it's safer.

The more expensive something becomes, the more that becomes a barrier to entry. Lots of people like to join the Equinox as a gym in major cities. It's very expensive for most people, but you are getting a certain type of client. Versus a Planet Fitness, where almost anyone can get the money together to afford it. But you get a much different kind of problem at a gym with a very low monthly price.

In general, what would help all public schools ( and even some private schools) is a widespread acceptance of consistent "culling"

i.e. People get fired on a regular basis for not performing. Teachers, administrators, support staff, etc, etc. It's very easy for incompetent people to hide in public education. Again, there are some very excellent people working in public schools, but the worst elements can literally hide for an entire career in some places.

i.e. troublesome students and bad seed students and certain low performing students should be turfed somewhere else. Some kids just need to be sent to a work farm. That's not politically correct to say, but some schools have a small number of kids who just exhaust the entire system, so there's no energy left for the kids trying to move forward.

There are some people and some situations that cannot be fixed. It's just easier to take them off the board entirely.

This is where private schools have more of an advantage. They are held to a cost/benefit standard ( public schools are typically not) and there are more options for practical enforcement.

I'm a lot older than nearly everyone here, at this point, I might actually be the oldest out of the regulars. I remember a time when stupidity was met head on. You were punished for it. Now we don't have that same kind of social structure.

I'm a simple person in this regard. I know what will work. It's just not something that will make most people "feel good" about it. There was a major social shift into refusing what worked in a practical sense simply because the acts in themselves made some people feel bad. You are just not entitled to NEVER feel bad at all in this life. That's a major change in how things work now.

Heads need to be cracked. It needs to happen because it works. It has always worked. I find the majority of people want the effective results but don't want to accept the carnage of how the sausage actually gets made. Some of that happens because they are entitled, some of that happens because most decision makers really have no idea how the actual red line working class lives, and some of that happens because our culture has empowered Betas with platforms that they didn't actually earn.

School administrations are havens for Betas and frankly Betas are never meant to lead anyone. In that context, the level of idiocy that has happen with schools is fairly but tragically predictable.

The heads that need to be cracked are the dumbass politicians who don't allocate the money to pay the educators above the poverty line. They get paid crap and then people wonder why performance is low. Asinine.

I've had some employees of mine say they'd take a big paycut if there was essentially barracks housing and a full time teacher available ( would only work for younger kids) as part of the "benefits" package for work.

The cost of housing and daycare is very punitive for many people, and I pay pretty well against market across all my businesses.

The concept of a mid scale "commune" is not so far fetched from a practicality standpoint. The large issue is you don't want to invest in something like that when you don't know the other people. And you don't want to invest if you actually DO know the other people.

But I've given that some thought. What amounts to barracks system simple housing for my younger single employees. To attract good talent. But that brings problem of it's own ( many will start sleeping with each other, and the you'll have the clique problem, which doesn't bother me socially, but it would end up interfering on an operational level)

During the core phase of the pandemic, I hired tutors in math, science and English/writing and made them available via Zoom, etc, etc for my employees with young kids. It was used pretty heavily and it was good for overall morale, at least with the parents. I could not however logistically justify having a full internal "school" available.

My godson had a full time nanny when he was young. There was always a concern on my part of the balance between having a stronger overreaching hand in some areas and also letting things take their natural course so the kid could learn some life lessons on his own. Getting into fights at school was one of those issues. I believe it's good for young boys to get into scraps with other young boys. However there's the concern of bullying. Then there's the concern your kid might end up being the one that was the bully. And there was the factor that my godson was essentially taught basic boundary/self defense principles from someone like myself. "Put them down fast and cut their throats" doesn't fly so well to other parents of 7th graders.

It's not very easy to find good talent in the personnel area. For example, while I was essentially fully off the forums for probably 12-13 years of the 17-18 years I've been registered here, I've only identified @johnnycakes and @krista4 as those worthy of even an interview on my side of things. I've always thought @David Dodds was uniquely creative in a rare way but that's entirely different as he's likely more on a peer level. So for many companies out there, the idea of providing housing and education as part of the employee package, that is something I can see happening in the near future. But potential liability profile is daunting. For example, there have been some things that krista has said over the years that is impressive. Insightful. But she craves attention. She has the pretty standard issue over educated westernized woman feminist angst streak in her. She wants it known she's a woman here in a sea of mostly Beta males. You put her in a barracks living situation with a bunch of men and also families and kids and I don't know how that shakes out. Won't be good I imagine.

My take on many kids coming out of college today, from the employer viewpoint, is many are exposed to more information and have more access to more information, but many functionally "understand" less. It's not easy to find good problem solvers. I'll give krista that much, I recognize immediately she can self motivate and problem solve, which makes her a high utility type employee in terms of potential.

Employers crave those who can lead themselves and potentially lead others. Many of these young kids have no leadership acumen at all. I mean not even the basic principles that come from standard effective family unit socialization. Modern colleges appear more and more to be training future cannon fodder, and cogs in a wheel to keep the tax base infused, not helping these kids become fully formed people.

When I was single, I didn't think twice about the local school systems. I wasn't married. I didn't have kids. I didn't have siblings with kids. I didn't hang out with too many people who had kids. But when I inherited my godson to raise, then I truly got a full close up view of the total incompetence of the average public school. Even ones in "nicer" areas and with more resources. Then I got a whiff of the incompetence in many private schools too. I can see why some parents pay to the point of their own long term financial demise to get their kids into something they perceive as "better" It's hard to stomach some of the things that some parents see out there. Just the utter lack of integrity from many teachers and administrators. But there are good teachers and good principals and good schools out there, it's just most people will have access as a function of luck or logistics.

I recognize my situation was entirely unique for my godson's education. If he needed a different school, I'd move to a place where that could happen. If he needed a longer commute to get to that school, I could pay someone to drive him daily. I could afford access to things like a nanny where he could get some out of school socialization. If I wanted him in a school, I didn't stress about the potential cost of it. I had essentially an entire lifetime of earning before I had to raise him under my belt.

The end result I see is large corporations will take part in "educating" the children of their employees, but will only see the long term benefit of that if they can turn that into a future feeder system that replicates the "salaryman" dilemma in a place like Japan. Where people literally work themselves to death.

The most anyone can do is try to give a child as much practical life skills type education in their personal households. Part of this equation is that the majority of parents out there today are likely not suited to be parents. If you won't show up at a Jamba Juice or something like that, and put on an apron and shove fruit into blender and sweep some floors but would rather see your kids potentially be homeless in a few months, then why exactly are you a parent in the first place?

Most people don't get that you can't choose two things at once. You cannot, on an individual adult level, choose your narcissism or your fear of failure or your doubt or whatever is holding you back in life, and then also choose what's best for young children. Some people pick their demons, the ones they sleep with at night, over their own kids. Even to the point of risking those kids out on the streets and untethered over it. Again, why are some people parents?

Does that offend people? Because I don't care if it offends people. My parents were horrible people. I certainly would have been better off not being born at all. I did not make it to the other side. I only have the social/cultural/material trappings of "success" where society will say I made it to the other side. But I still carry all of that legacy with me. The evil in them, the evil that decided to choose to have a child and then abandon their child, some of that poison is deep down within me. That was my greatest fear for my godson, that I'd only revert to being the father who outright refused to raise me. I love my godson more than my own life. But I didn't enjoy raising him. Not a single bit of it. I don't begrudge him anything, he was an innocent, but I understand I am not naturally suited to be a parent. The only litmus test I had left was to understand that I had to change the worst parts of myself, so I could try each day to become the kind of man that I wanted him to grow to be, so he'd have a chance in this life.

What did Herb Brooks say to Mike Eruzione? He said - Worry about your own game, trust me, there's plenty there to keep you busy.

I see far too many parents who have not gotten past the worst parts of themselves as individuals. Why try to have a child on top of that? Or multiple children? So they can grow up and be tossed out on the street because you won't work at a Jamba Juice and have to bus a table that might be full of your other local "helicopter over privileged school mom fake friends"?

A highly rated expensive private school does not wash away these other issues above. It doesn't make up for the toxic pathology of what many parents do as discussed above.

@Otis complains endlessly in public about becoming a borderline alcoholic, yelling at his family, being unhealthy physically to the point of risk, acknowledging he's evolved into a fully formed hateful resentful person, for a life he chose no less, and the only person who challenges him on the toxicity of that as a zero example to his actual children is the retired geriatric who is the truly the most "not a good person, not even close" individual here?

The kind of schools out there is a problem. I won't disagree. But the real war for your kid's futures is fought in your homes first. It's fought at an individual level through you and being accountable to reaching your full potential as an authentic person.
If you are not a good person, as you stated above, why would you agree to be somebody’s Godfather?

Did you have an angle on the parents or something?

Users who are viewing this thread