What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kendall Hunter (2 Viewers)

'Casting Couch said:
'mcd said:
'Casting Couch said:
'BeTheMatch said:
If there is a handcuff to Gore for this season, I still think it's Hunter. I don't think Hunter has too much of a chance to become a full-time guy there long-term, but the James pick doesn't impact that at all, IMO.
I think the main player this impacts is Hunter and in a negative way. Hunter should lose PT with the addition of James.I don't see how this can be viewed any other way. It's an indictment on Hunter, he was sub-par last year, and now it looks like Harbaugh wants to go in a different direction.
I'm not sure how Hunters season could be considered sub-par on any level. He was backing up Gore & looked good when he was given playing time.

The James pick was a surprise, not because they didn't need an RB, but because they needed more of a full time guy. If you assume Gore is phased out over the next 2 seasons, the 49ers will then have 2 undersized backs that fit the 3nd down mold. Of the 2, I would think Hunter actually fits a little more as the full down back, with James the 3rd down guy. Should be fun to see what Harbaugh has in mind for them.
I shouldn't say sub-par, I think he looked average, nothing special. But I don't see how this can have no effect on Hunter,as the Match seems to think. Maybe wishful thinking by a Hunter owner. I also own Hunter in half of my leagues, I'm not stoked with the James pick.
I just don't think James is an obstacle that Hunter has to overcome in his pursuit of a featured role. Again, I don't think it's very likely that Hunter ever secures that role, but I don't think his chances got any worse with the addition of James, because I don't view James as having even the small shot at the featured role that Hunter does.
Not getting this considering James is basically a faster version of Hunter.
Kendall Hunter is considerably stockier, Lamichael James is tiny. Kendall Hunter's chance of being a starting NFL back ain't great but it's better than Lamichael James' who has no chance imo.

'Casting Couch said:
'mcd said:
'Casting Couch said:
'BeTheMatch said:
If there is a handcuff to Gore for this season, I still think it's Hunter. I don't think Hunter has too much of a chance to become a full-time guy there long-term, but the James pick doesn't impact that at all, IMO.
I think the main player this impacts is Hunter and in a negative way. Hunter should lose PT with the addition of James.I don't see how this can be viewed any other way. It's an indictment on Hunter, he was sub-par last year, and now it looks like Harbaugh wants to go in a different direction.
I'm not sure how Hunters season could be considered sub-par on any level. He was backing up Gore & looked good when he was given playing time.

The James pick was a surprise, not because they didn't need an RB, but because they needed more of a full time guy. If you assume Gore is phased out over the next 2 seasons, the 49ers will then have 2 undersized backs that fit the 3nd down mold. Of the 2, I would think Hunter actually fits a little more as the full down back, with James the 3rd down guy. Should be fun to see what Harbaugh has in mind for them.
I shouldn't say sub-par, I think he looked average, nothing special. But I don't see how this can have no effect on Hunter,as the Match seems to think. Maybe wishful thinking by a Hunter owner. I also own Hunter in half of my leagues, I'm not stoked with the James pick.
I just don't think James is an obstacle that Hunter has to overcome in his pursuit of a featured role. Again, I don't think it's very likely that Hunter ever secures that role, but I don't think his chances got any worse with the addition of James, because I don't view James as having even the small shot at the featured role that Hunter does.
Kendall Hunter is considerably stockier, Lamichael James is tiny. Kendall Hunter's chance of being a starting NFL back ain't great but it's better than Lamichael James' who has no chance imo.
:confused: Hunter: 5'7" 199

James: 5'8" 195

'Casting Couch said:
'mcd said:
'Casting Couch said:
'BeTheMatch said:

Exactly, smaller + thicker = stockier. Just look on google, Hunter is ripped.

'Casting Couch said:
'mcd said:
'Casting Couch said:
'BeTheMatch said:

James.

'Casting Couch said:
'mcd said:
'Casting Couch said:
'BeTheMatch said:

James.
Sexy

'Casting Couch said:
'mcd said:
'Casting Couch said:
'BeTheMatch said:

James.
Hunter.

Well, the Redskins seemed to go through a slew of RB's last year so I guess it doesn't hurt to have good depth at the position as long as the 49ers can afford it and it doesn't take away from another area of need more than RB. I'd be surprised if Jacobs is around more than a year but you never know. I still think he's going to have a proclivity of possible injury given his size but hope he stays healthy. I don't think James will take many carries away from Hunter this year. Kendall proved he can play and I don't really see them using him any less than last year even with Jacobs & James there. I drafted Hunter in a couple of dynasty leagues last year and at that time many thought he could eventually end up as Gore's successor even with his size. Brian Westbrook wasn't all that big either and he was very successful as the Eagles main back so it's certainly in the realm of possibility that Hunter could do the same. Harbaugh's approach to the offense should continue to evolve and Hunter should be a big part of that as long as he stays healthy. With the pounding and violent hits RB's take in today's NFL you have to make sure you have competant people, as well as enough depth, that can step in when needed and help the offense to continue to thrive and produce. The James pick may not be a popular one but I say give the kid a chance to help the 49ers and do what he can, in whatever capacity , to help us reach our goal which is to win another superbowl. I believe the 49ers orginization is doing their best in getting players to make that happen. As far as the RB situation is concerned there's always going to be unexpected things happen during the course of the year and you have to make sure all bases are covered and that you don't miss a step when this hiccups occur.I'm very pleased with the things Jim Harbaugh has done with our team and if some think he's an arrogant SOB, so be it. The NFL's not a popularity contest and as long as he keeps the team winning I'll give him a lot of leeway with his attitude,arrogance,demeanor or not being nicey nice. Just hope he keeps it all professional even if he's rubbing the rest of the league the wrong way.

I do believe that Kendall Hunter is still going to be a big part of the 49ers game plan going forward and I'm glad to have him on several of my dynasty rosters.

'Casting Couch said:
'mcd said:

James.
Hunter.
"Kendall Hunter is considerably stockier, Lamichael James is tiny."Hunter doesn't look any "stockier" to me.. Much less "considerably stockier".. They're virtually the same size.. If James is "Tiny", I'd say Hunter is too.. James is the faster version..

I'll take James over Hunter..

Last edited by a moderator:
Kendall proved he can play
Did he really though? I mean I didn't see every game but he looked "okay" to me, nothing more. Now Ray Rice/LeShaun McCoy didn't light the world on fire their rookie seasons either, but I don't know that people should be feeling confident that Hunter showed enough to be labeled as the heir apparent to Gore. I don't think he's shown that yet at all.

'Casting Couch said:
'mcd said:
'Casting Couch said:
'BeTheMatch said:

i agree james's chances of earn a starting role are slim, but honestly i don't think it matters. james is more of a home run hitter, score from anywhere player than hunter and i think it could make a difference. when given a choice between hunter or james while gore is heathly i think they would go with james. when gore is out or gone, i think they'll at least share the carries until a better option replaces hunter.

'Casting Couch said:
'mcd said:
'Casting Couch said:
'BeTheMatch said:

i agree james's chances of earn a starting role are slim, but honestly i don't think it matters. james is more of a home run hitter, score from anywhere player than hunter and i think it could make a difference. when given a choice between hunter or james while gore is heathly i think they would go with james. when gore is out or gone, i think they'll at least share the carries until a better option replaces hunter.
Yeah I don't really disagree with any of this, but I'm not yet convinced that Hunter can't carry the majority of the load in a RBBC. For fantasy purposes James just isn't the kind of guy that I'd ever be targeting. Call me greedy, but I'm not gonna use a roster spot on a RB if I can't reasonably expect him to run for 1000 yards given the opportunity. I know some people like to point at Sproles as a comparable who was a top 10 back last season, but Sproles only became fantasy relevant after being moved to the best offense in the league; and I can't imagine his last year stats being anything but a crazy outlier on what he'll accomplish in his career moving forward. So I always leave those type of backs to others.

For fantasy purposes James just isn't the kind of guy that I'd ever be targeting. Call me greedy, but I'm not gonna use a roster spot on a RB if I can't reasonably expect him to run for 1000 yards given the opportunity.
Seems like a valid reason for not rostering Hunter as well.

For fantasy purposes James just isn't the kind of guy that I'd ever be targeting. Call me greedy, but I'm not gonna use a roster spot on a RB if I can't reasonably expect him to run for 1000 yards given the opportunity.
Seems like a valid reason for not rostering Hunter as well.
Arguably, but if Gore goes down to injury in the early weeks of the season I think there'd be a very good chance that Hunter would run for 1000+ yards. Whereas even if the RB1 went down, even then I can't envision a NFL team trusting Lamichael James with enough carries to get 1000+ yards.

I guess we have talked it to death and will find out in a few years or sooner if Gore goes down.
He doesn't run the ball well inside. If you can't do that you have to be an absolute athletic freak to be a good NFL player, he isn't. Ray Rice and MJD run the ball inside the majority of the time and they have a lot of power. I've seen a lot of guys who love him on every forum and they always say he's the same size as Rice and MJD. He doesn't play like them at all which is what matters. He cannot be more than a CoP guy unless he puts on a ton more muscle, especially his legs, without losing quickness and runs between the tackles much, much more effectively. I don't see guys change drastically so I don't see it happening. I think he's a sell high if you have someone in your league who thinks he's worth a first round pick.
You're wrong about Hunter between the tackles. He does run well and has excellent vision. You seem to be throwing darts.
Show me one run all year where he ran inside and broke some tackles. Maybe he did in college, it's a different game. Any short rb picked in the first 3 rounds of the draft is Ray Rice these days. Now the chance to trade him for anything is over.Let me add that I was new to dynasty and picked up Hunter purely on others advice before seeing him play. But I objectively watched him and quickly realized he has nothing in common with Rice or MJD. I've hung onto him because I've learned that despite all the people who say they love him, it's a very small vocal minority. In 4 leagues I had him (some inherited) nobody would even give up a 2nd round pick for him. To me, people are seeing with rose colored glasses and not being honest.Seems worse than I thought if they drafted James though. Apparently they don't think he's the long tern CoP guy either. I'm still holding him but it's going to take a miracle for him to be useful. And the first big game he ever has I'm trading him in a heartbeat if someone wants him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arguably, but if Gore goes down to injury in the early weeks of the season I think there'd be a very good chance that Hunter would run for 1000+ yards. Whereas even if the RB1 went down, even then I can't envision a NFL team trusting Lamichael James with enough carries to get 1000+ yards.
I think they signed Brandon Jacobs for the possibility of Gore going down.

I think they signed Brandon Jacobs for the possibility of Gore going down.
Eh, maybe I'm underestimating Jacobs, but I'm not expecting the 30 year old RB on a 1 year contract to be having much of a role on the 49ers.

Are the 49ers expected to actually roster 4 RBs? Seems like a lot, who goes?
Does Hunter play special teams?If not, looks like if all goes to plan then the 9ers will axe Jacobs at the end of camp. I love James in this spot btw.

Hunter owner here and though at first a little bummed about the James pick, I've come to the conclusion this is a potential win-win for both. I think Harbaugh and Baalke are looking down the road a little bit for when Gore is no longer viable (think 2013 or, on the outside, 2014).

At that point, James and Hunter will be a pretty efficient two-headed monster for SF.*

I think the 49ers have set themselves up pretty well in the run game for the next 5 to 8 years with these two. I fully expect them to draft another RB fairly early next season if they're still in what appears to be a BPA mode.

*At least that's what I keep telling myself. ;)

Kendall Hunter has 'it' in 49ers backfield

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

As we count down the days to training camp, Around the League will examine one player from every team set for a breakout campaign in 2012. Next up: the San Francisco 49ers.

49ers running back Kendall Hunter approached the line of scrimmage looking for a hole, finding nothing. It was third-and-one against the Seahawks in Week 16. The 5-foot-7 dynamo had been stuffed the play before.

This was supposed to be Frank Gore's down. Or even Anthony Dixon. Those guys were the short-yardage hammers. What was Jim Harbaugh doing giving it to Hunter up the middle on back-to-back plays with playoff positioning on the line?

Hunter crept to the outside, but there was nowhere to go. The Seahawks had him surrounded with five defenders. In a moment of hesitation, depending on your vantage point, Hunter seemed to disappear. He waited. And then exploded up the middle like he was shot out of a cannon for 24 yards. The Seahawks defenders never saw him. So that's why Harbaugh had him in.

Making the Leap: Kendall Hunter

I don't care that the 49ers signed Brandon Jacobs. He's not even a lock to make the team. I don't care that Frank Gore is one of the most underrated players at any position over the last decade. The 49ers think they can get more with less from the aging back. I don't even care that the 49ers drafted another promising back in LaMichael James.

Kendall Hunter is going to break out this year because he has "it." And because he was drafted by the right team.

The 49ers might have the most creative offensive staff in football when it comes to the running game. They won't hesitate to have Gore and Hunter in the backfield together in a variety of formations. They will find a way to use Hunter as a receiver, a position in which he averaged 12.2 yards-per-carry.

Hunter put up 668 yards from scrimmage as a rookie. He's not going to suddenly become a workhorse, but that number could double as the 49ers find more ways to get him the ball. He's San Francisco's answer to Darren Sproles, except he has more surprising power. Again and again, we saw Hunter gain additional yards after contact. He falls forward when getting hit -- at least when you can find him.

I think that article should find it way into the FFA. There has got to be another thread you can post that in.

Users who are viewing this thread