What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kendall Hunter (1 Viewer)

'ffguru56 said:
Football connoisseur Sigmund Bloom via Twitter seems to think they "definitely" have a good run blocking o-line and adequate pass blocking, so I'm not the only one.
Local beat writer Matt Maiocco says the o-line "did not fare well", it was an up and down season, and gave them a 'C' grade for the year.
Maiocco is a hack. He got worse when he became one of Jed's paid mouthpieces. He might as well be Grant Cohn.

'ffguru56 said:
Football connoisseur Sigmund Bloom via Twitter seems to think they "definitely" have a good run blocking o-line and adequate pass blocking, so I'm not the only one.
Local beat writer Matt Maiocco says the o-line "did not fare well", it was an up and down season, and gave them a 'C' grade for the year.
My point being that perhaps you should rest a little on jumping all over a layperson's message board post when clearly even experts disagree. Let's get back to the Kendall Hunter talk.

I sifted back to a few articles I saved last year on Kendall Hunter. I figured this might be a good reflection piece as we discuss his potential after a year in the nfl.

Evan Silva 4-5-11 Draft 2011: The Running Backs

Height/Weight: 5'7/199

College Experience: Fourth-year senior

Combine #s: 4.53 forty, 1.52 10-yd split, 24 x 225, 35"

vertical, 10'2" broad jump, 4.21 ss

Style Comparison: Ahmad Bradshaw

2010 Stats: 271 - 1,548 (5.7) - 16 Tds; 20 - 101 (5.1) - 0 Tds

Draft Prediction: Saints, No. 72 overall.

Positives: Twice a first-team All-Big 12 pick, Hunter left college ranked fourth in Cowboys history for rushing yards

(4,181) and touchdowns (37), averaging 5.91 yards per career carry. He finished second to teammate Justin

Blackmon in 2010 Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year voting, and was a first-team All-Academic honoree. Built like

Maurice Jones-Drew, Hunter has a thick base with powerful thighs and calves. He ran 4.43 at his Pro Day. Hunter

didn't pass protect much in Oklahoma State's spread offense, but excelled in blitz pickup at the Senior Bowl. He

caught 63 passes in college and is ready to play on passing downs. Hunter breaks more tackles than you'd expect

from a sub-200 pound back. He also draws high marks for balance and vision.

Negatives: Hunter has a history of ankle problems. He fractured one of his ankles as a high school junior, and a

high ankle sprain cost Hunter five games and his starting job to Keith Toston in 2009. Hunter won't break nearly as

many tackles in the pros as he did in the Big 12, playing in Dana Holgorsen's high-flying spread. NFL teams won't

view Hunter as a bell-cow back because of his size. Hunter is a slippery runner, but lacks outstanding moves and

elusiveness.

Outlook: Tatum Bell has been the most productive Oklahoma State back since Barry Sanders. Assuming health,

Hunter is a good bet to overtake Bell. He'll focus on passing downs initially, but could emerge as an effective 15-18

touch-per-game runner when opportunity arises.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sigmund Bloom 5-2-11 Bloom Top 100 (Postdraft)

Hunter's fall w as not unexpected and he ended up in a long-term situation that he could inherit as

early as next year. If you're holding 1.11 and the folks ahead of you nail my top 10, Hunter is a terrific consolation prize. He

might end up in a committee w ith Anthony Dixon, but he'll be the Bradshaw to Dixon's Jacobs.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Joe Everett 5-10-11 Fantasy Football Rookie Top-50

KENDALL HUNTER - RB - 49ERS: Kendall Hunter is an explosive runner capable of taking any play the distance

with his quickness and running instincts. He can string moves together and make multiple defenders miss with his

excellent footwork but he also has great ball skills to make plays out of the backfield. While Hunter will most certainly

be stuck behind Frank Gore for the next year or two, he will be worked into a 3rd down role this season and could take this

backfield over in the event of another Gore injury.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Doug Orth 6-28-11 Top 20 Rookies For 2011 (11-20)

Reasons to like Hunter: A three-year starter at Oklahoma State, Hunter was incredibly productive in his four years, posting two seasons in which he eclipsed 1,500 rushing yards and 16 TDs (2008 and 2010) while finishing his career with a 5.9 YPC. Although Hunter doesn’t possess ideal size or speed, he is a smart, hard-working runner who displays good vision and instincts. He sets up his blocks well and can make a defender miss in the hole with above-average quickness. When combined with his reliable hands and open-field elusiveness, the 2010 All-American could slide into the RB2 role in San Francisco behind Frank Gore immediately. Considering the injury history Gore has (including the hip injury he suffered late last season), new HC Jim Harbaugh may be inclined to ease up on Gore’s workload a bit more than previous HC Mike Singletary did. While Anthony Dixon is no slouch, Harbaugh and the front office obviously identified Hunter as their kind of back on Day 3 of April’s draft, so given that Hunter contributes more to the passing game than Dixon does, he has a leg up on the second-year back should Gore miss time again this season.

Reasons to dislike Hunter: Despite his production and big heart, Hunter seems like a bad fit for an offense that wants to play power football initially. At 5-7 and 200 pounds, Hunter doesn’t move the pile on inside runs and doesn’t always power through the “easy” tackle, so he is highly unlikely to serve as a full-time back should Gore miss time. And while he shows fight in pass protection, defenses will try to exploit his size if he is asked to block on a regular basis. Because a fully healthy Gore trumps him in just about every possible way at this point of his career, Hunter will likely be relegated to standing on the sidelines along with Dixon when the veteran is healthy. And if Gore should get hurt, Hunter’s rookie-year upside is likely as a lead committee back.

Fantasy Assessment: It should be noted that Hunter’s ranking on this list is based primarily on Gore’s injury history, meaning Hunter should get 2-3 games to showcase his abilities with 15+ touches. From a game-to-game consistency standpoint, Hunter isn’t likely to provide much in terms of fantasy numbers. But given Gore’s injury history, it’s a good bet that Hunter will see a bit of action in fantasy lineups at some point this season, essentially taking over the role Brian Westbrook served late last season. He’s a mandatory handcuff for Gore owners and a nice little trade chip for the Gore owners who let him slide too far late in the draft.

Fearless late-June prediction: 65 rushes for 300 yards and two TDs; 18 receptions for 95 yards and one TD

'ffguru56 said:
My point being that perhaps you should rest a little on jumping all over a layperson's message board post when clearly even experts disagree. Let's get back to the Kendall Hunter talk.
drummer disagrees and he's a guy with a very unique way of looking at things. Even in the SF threads he usually just trolls and argues with everything. Bloom is very credible but while I appreciate Bloom's opinion I believe he is wrong. Maiocco and Barrows are two of the best beat writers for the team and Barrows has also pointed out inconsistencies (namely from Anthony Davis).The usual ways of measuring o-line play don't make SF look good. The beat writers who cover the team week in and week out also claim Bloom is wrong. Bloom is an asset but when you have to cover the entire NFL it makes it harder to really follow the specifics of any one team.

'ffguru56 said:
drummer disagrees and he's a guy with a very unique way of looking at things. Even in the SF threads he usually just trolls and argues with everything. Bloom is very credible but while I appreciate Bloom's opinion I believe he is wrong. Maiocco and Barrows are two of the best beat writers for the team and Barrows has also pointed out inconsistencies (namely from Anthony Davis).The usual ways of measuring o-line play don't make SF look good. The beat writers who cover the team week in and week out also claim Bloom is wrong. Bloom is an asset but when you have to cover the entire NFL it makes it harder to really follow the specifics of any one team.
Those same beat writers were too scared to report the realities of the Singletary regime. But even they would tell you that the 49ers spent a lot on o-line this past decade. Somehow you find that "unique". I guess realty is "unique" to you. BTW other readers of this thread: you can aks me a question about Hunter and the o-line. For some odd reason, Dr. Awesome thinks he can speak for other fans here. Even though he knows nothing about the team he roots for, like not knowing who scouted for them or who was GM before said scout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's get back to the Kendall Hunter talk.
Thank you.
Matt Barrows (local beat writer) says he expects SF to draft a rb (maybe even with a high draft pick) and claims SF sees Hunter as a change of pace guy.
This is what I'm afraid of -- I really think there's a chance Hunter is never more than a 10 touch a game guy.
They are preparing for when Gore can't produce. Dixon is too slow and indecisive. They need more depth @ RB, and Hunter is smallish for the Power run game, but a lot of the snaps are also predicated on pass blocking and blitz protection. Gore may have slowed down, but he has been real good at picking up the blitz. If Hunter can pick it up in the pass game, then he may get a lot more touches.

'ffguru56 said:
I dunno if you really wanna go with FO's rankings, being that it really doesn't reflect things like Martz to Jimmy Raye. Pass blocking, sure they rank low. Look at how many offenses they went through, how many starting QB's behind those offenses, the level of talent at QB, etc. The odd thing is, under the Martz offense with JTO (who provided comedy) and Shaun Hill, FO ranks the run offense at 7th in said Martz offense with Rachal, Staley, Snyder, Bass, Heitmann, etc. Following year under Raye: FO ranks the run hogs at 32nd. This was Singletary's first year as full time HC. Hill and Alex Smith were starters with the change to Smith because Hill hit a wall and lost confidence, thus defenses stacking the box against him, and Raye went spread after the switch to Smith. Next season: 13th. One more off season of Raye, but Raye was fired before October, and Mike Johnson had Alex Smith and Troy Smith behind center. This I believe is also Solari's second season. Bear in mind, the 49er offense, despite Martz, didn't have "hot reads" until Raye. Alex Smith was learning that concept under Raye. It was basically seam routes to Vernon Davis in the passing game, and play action and screens? Fuggetaboutit. Basically your disaster as far as the passing game and QB reads. Now where does Hunter fit in in all this? Fuggetabout those rankings too. I see Hunter being more of a Faulk type RB. At best in Harbaugh's offense: Kevin. Insane upside? Marshall with a real passing offense. Hunter has great balance and a real nice low center of gravity, and a second gear that is explosive. You can't look at the FO's rankings and say to yourself "He has zero chance" because said rankings fail to explain what I pointed out as far as the why's and what's, Martz, Raye, even back to Turner and Hostler (where FO ranks the run offense higher under Hostler [where the run blocking was ranked 12th!], the worst OC ever the past 30 years, even worse than Trestman).It's kinda unfair when Hunter has to fill Gore's shoes. Gore is tremendous despite the haphazard crap the 49ers have been through (Gore is on the same amount of OC's, HC's and GM's Alex Smith has had) and really has been a stud on 2 reconstructed knees under crap offenses. I don't think Harbaugh is gonna put Hunter in the backseat and not try to feature him more. There is a lot of upside to Hunter, yet as a Bell Cow, still taking the backseat there when Alex get's nervy and Gore has to come in to loosen a defense. I don't play FF, but Hunter you can stock away and has a lot of value predicated on what you have spent for him.ETA: maybe an Edge James RB too, but it's late and I am on beer 7.ETA part deux: Didn't consult Florida Danny on this, but I am going back to Danny's early work on a 49er blog where he started. Great story on how he got on with FO, and we debated a lot of things 49ers before FO. Great guy, and solid peeps.

'ffguru56 said:
My point being that perhaps you should rest a little on jumping all over a layperson's message board post when clearly even experts disagree.
Sigmund Bloom is an expert? I like Bloom, but he's a Lawyer that does FF in his spare time and has been lacking at that more and more the past few years.

My point being that perhaps you should rest a little on jumping all over a layperson's message board post when clearly even experts disagree.
Sigmund Bloom is an expert? I like Bloom, but he's a Lawyer that does FF in his spare time and has been lacking at that more and more the past few years.
Ever have a kid? lolThe guy still knows things.

I watch every 49er game and am baffled how anyone thinks Hunter will pickup for Gore when he retires. Obviously I would hope he would as a fan of the team and therefore Hunter but it's not even a remote possibility in my mind. On the other hand I think my team does have a solid change of pace RB for the foreseeable future.

I watch every 49er game and am baffled how anyone thinks Hunter will pickup for Gore when he retires. Obviously I would hope he would as a fan of the team and therefore Hunter but it's not even a remote possibility in my mind. On the other hand I think my team does have a solid change of pace RB for the foreseeable future.
Why is it "not even a remote possibility" in your mind? He's not just some smallish back that takes everything outside and is only good as a receiver. He has shown very good vision, explosion, and is stronger than you're giving him credit for. I see too many times here at FBGs where people are too quick to label guys "Change of Pace back". Hell, it's not like he's 180 lbs, he weighs 200 lbs and has good low center of gravity.

I am going to echo some of what MS said... I’m also a Niner fan- one who watches every snap including preseason. I also am Hunter owner in dynasty. I would love for him to emerge as a talented lead back in a year or two.

If this year proved anything, it’s that his floor will be as a good COP back who could spot start. Those who are projecting stardom are taking a leap of faith, IMO. It’s possible, but I think it would take a Frank Gore/Matt Forte-type of dogged determination to their craft and workout regimen in the off-season.

He hit the holes quickly when the blocking was there. He is not afraid to run inside and can be nifty. He goes down relatively easily and I didn’t see the spectacular elusiveness to counteract that. He is a game pass blocker who seems like he will continue to improve in that area.

People were a bit down on Ray Rice after his first season so there is no need to write him off completely. There's always hope Hunter can take his game up a level or two. I just think it is premature at this point to anoint him as a future lead back, particularly in a power running attack. Not sure a current Hunter owner would let him go for anything less than what they invested to get him.

Why is it "not even a remote possibility" in your mind? He's not just some smallish back that takes everything outside and is only good as a receiver. He has shown very good vision, explosion, and is stronger than you're giving him credit for. I see too many times here at FBGs where people are too quick to label guys "Change of Pace back". Hell, it's not like he's 180 lbs, he weighs 200 lbs and has good low center of gravity.
I agree it's possible he becomes the starting rb to replace Gore but the team reportedly sees him as a cop guy and not the replacement. Wouldn't be the first time a guy overcame that impression to steal the job but it's something to consider.

I am going to echo some of what MS said... I’m also a Niner fan- one who watches every snap including preseason. I also am Hunter owner in dynasty. I would love for him to emerge as a talented lead back in a year or two.If this year proved anything, it’s that his floor will be as a good COP back who could spot start. Those who are projecting stardom are taking a leap of faith, IMO. It’s possible, but I think it would take a Frank Gore/Matt Forte-type of dogged determination to their craft and workout regimen in the off-season. He hit the holes quickly when the blocking was there. He is not afraid to run inside and can be nifty. He goes down relatively easily and I didn’t see the spectacular elusiveness to counteract that. He is a game pass blocker who seems like he will continue to improve in that area. People were a bit down on Ray Rice after his first season so there is no need to write him off completely. There's always hope Hunter can take his game up a level or two. I just think it is premature at this point to anoint him as a future lead back, particularly in a power running attack. Not sure a current Hunter owner would let him go for anything less than what they invested to get him.
Gore was considered a gamble/reach when he was drafted (because of his knees), yet blew up in 2006 with Norv and Larry Allen. I don't think 49er fans thought Gore would become the All Time leading rusher. I agree it's premature to call Hunter an every down stud (who would not be able to have done what Gore did in pancake offenses), yet Gore is slowing down and might not hold up a full sched next season. Dixon has too much Barlow in him, and the 49ers need more depth at RB. Norris is a waste of a roster spot. I think if the passing game opens up more, the RB's will have more opportunities to make big plays.

Wasn't MS the guy who had the big thread after last years draft and made the argument that picking RB's drafted after the first few rounds was wasting a pick. If I recall, he was pretty obnoxious about it, so there is your answer why.......because it would support his thesis that those guys weren't worth high rookie picks.

I agree it's possible he becomes the starting rb to replace Gore but the team reportedly sees him as a cop guy and not the replacement. Wouldn't be the first time a guy overcame that impression to steal the job but it's something to consider.
I'll need a link for this one.

From one of the Matts who cover the team. Forget which one right now. I'll dig up a link tomorrow when I can browse internets better. I mentioned it earlier in the pissing match drummer and I were having. They're also likely to draft a rb though that could simply be filler as Dixon isn't so great.

Wasn't MS the guy who had the big thread after last years draft and made the argument that picking RB's drafted after the first few rounds was wasting a pick. If I recall, he was pretty obnoxious about it, so there is your answer why.......because it would support his thesis that those guys weren't worth high rookie picks.
I'm the guy who drafted Cam Newton and Torrey Smith after Hunter, Helu and Delone Carter and it's working out for me. On a serious note I've been a 49er fan since Paul Hofer was the RB, then Earl Cooper, Lenvil Elliot thru the years of Tyler, Craig, Hearst, etc;Like I said I like Hunter and would be freaking stoked if he turns All Pro. I watch every game and in all honesty it ain't gonna happen and if it does I'll be thrilled to be wrong.

From one of the Matts who cover the team. Forget which one right now. I'll dig up a link tomorrow when I can browse internets better. I mentioned it earlier in the pissing match drummer and I were having. They're also likely to draft a rb though that could simply be filler as Dixon isn't so great.
Getting another RB in the mix isn't a secret. But it doesn't mean they are displacing Hunter either. Pretty much any off-season 49er roster or draft speculation will have an RB in the mix. Gore will be in his second year of his 4 year deal, and the second 2 years of it I think is setup in favor of the 49ers. BTW, it was Barrows who wrote that:

Hunter proved to be a pleasant surprise, hitting the line of scrimmage sharply and taking care of the football. But the 49ers see him as more of a change-of-pace runner. Even if the 49ers added a wide receiver - or two or three - in the offseason, they still are a team that at its core wants to overpower defenses and run the ball down their throats. That's something they were unable to do at the most critical part of the season and something they will have to remedy in the offseason.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/01/what-was-wrong-with-frank-gore.htmlWhich is odd from Barrows because Hunter got a lot more carries than Dixon on snaps Gore would have been on due to Gore's nagging injuries. I take Beat writers with a grain of salt anyway. They have been horrid during the Singletary era. "Right coach for this team" sort of crap.

BTW: it was no "pissing match" between you and I. Try to not bring me in when you are addressing another poster. I already posted several years of FO rankings. Address that instead of being sore here.

BTW: it was no "pissing match" between you and I. Try to not bring me in when you are addressing another poster. I already posted several years of FO rankings. Address that instead of being sore here.
Oh, okay. Your shtick is obvious at this point. Nitpick over ridiculous rap. Argue it to death. Pick fights. Throw as much history about the Niners as possible whether it's relevant or not to the topic at hand. There's a reason I was advised in last year's SF thread to ignore you like everyone else does. I'm guessing you didn't email Danny like you said you would. Either way, go ahead and respond with your rant. I'm done with it. If folks have read your posts and still want to take you seriously that's on them. Happy trolling. :thumbup:

Oh, okay. Your shtick is obvious at this point. Nitpick over ridiculous rap. Argue it to death. Pick fights. Throw as much history about the Niners as possible whether it's relevant or not to the topic at hand. There's a reason I was advised in last year's SF thread to ignore you like everyone else does. I'm guessing you didn't email Danny like you said you would. Either way, go ahead and respond with your rant. I'm done with it. If folks have read your posts and still want to take you seriously that's on them. Happy trolling. :thumbup:
Look, I didn't "get in the way" of you posting a link to Barrows. You should thank me for doing your work for you. The guys asked you a question yet you somehow blamed it on a "pissing match" and me, and from what it looks like you still aren't over said match. I haven't emailed Danny yet. I could do that with the premise of "Hey Danny, I'm in a pissing match over your FO rankings" to which I'm sure he will be amused by it. He knows me very well. Danny went from posting DVOA type stuff on Lynch's blog (in the comments section), then posted said stuff on Niners Nation (David "Fooch" Fucillo "discovered" Danny on Lynch's blog), and somehow (from what I gather Paraag might had something to do with this but I'm not sure) is now on FO's staff. Great story.

I'm the guy who drafted Cam Newton and Torrey Smith after Hunter, Helu and Delone Carter and it's working out for me. On a serious note I've been a 49er fan since Paul Hofer was the RB, then Earl Cooper, Lenvil Elliot thru the years of Tyler, Craig, Hearst, etc;Like I said I like Hunter and would be freaking stoked if he turns All Pro. I watch every game and in all honesty it ain't gonna happen and if it does I'll be thrilled to be wrong.
Well, I have my doubt's on Hunter too, but I am really impressed at his balance. I can see him doing a lot more if the 49er offense can spread itself out more than it had this past season. As a receiving back in a more uptempo offense he could do well. The screen pass sure could use improvement. But I really like his footwork for a rook with no off-season. He isn't that much smaller than Gore, although 2 inches can be pretty big in the NFL. It's all about if the O-line can blow a D-Line up. But the pass game has to loosen a Defense up for them to run the ball with what they got.

Count me also among those who scratches his head at the overabundance of Hunter love on this board, and one who believes a CoP career is what we should expect for him.

Another head scratcher for me is seeing so many folks suggesting Gore is about done and Hunter is on the verge of taking over, when San Fran just signed Gore to a 4-year deal with $13.5 mil guaranteed before the 2011 season. Barring major injury, count on Gore starting for 3 of those 4 contract years, i.e. through 2013 (his age 29 and 30 seasons). The final year, we'll see based on how he's doing to that point.

When Gore's time is up though, I expect a new face to arrive as the primary back, not for them to give the ball to Hunter for 250+ carries. Very unlikely in my opinion.

Count me also among those who scratches his head at the overabundance of Hunter love on this board, and one who believes a CoP career is what we should expect for him. Another head scratcher for me is seeing so many folks suggesting Gore is about done and Hunter is on the verge of taking over, when San Fran just signed Gore to a 4-year deal with $13.5 mil guaranteed before the 2011 season. Barring major injury, count on Gore starting for 3 of those 4 contract years, i.e. through 2013 (his age 29 and 30 seasons). The final year, we'll see based on how he's doing to that point.When Gore's time is up though, I expect a new face to arrive as the primary back, not for them to give the ball to Hunter for 250+ carries. Very unlikely in my opinion.
This. 1000%.

There is no reason to label him as a COP back. I won't list the reasons why again, but some of you are taking the easy road on Hunter. The only thing that worries me is how long Gore will be effective.

There is no reason to label him as a COP back. I won't list the reasons why again, but some of you are taking the easy road on Hunter. The only thing that worries me is how long Gore will be effective.
The Niners homers (of which I am one) are pretty unanimous in saying that he's shown no reason to believe that he is going to be a top 5, bell-cow type RB going forward. That's not "taking the easy road", it is just the reality of the situation based on watching him play all year. Can he explode and be more than a change of pace guy? Yeah, sure it is possible, but I don't see any reason to anticipate or project that based on what he showed last year.

I guess we have talked it to death and will find out in a few years or sooner if Gore goes down.
Pretty much. I don't think anyone can label him anything right now. You can't say his upside is a COP back, but you certainly can't say he's a bellcow either. He was okay this year, nothing more. He *may* not fit what the 9ers are looking for as a between the tackles guy ala Gore, but maybe, if he's skilled enough, he can carve out a 15-20 touch a game role that could make him a very effective fantasy player. Time will tell.

Count me also among those who scratches his head at the overabundance of Hunter love on this board, and one who believes a CoP career is what we should expect for him. Another head scratcher for me is seeing so many folks suggesting Gore is about done and Hunter is on the verge of taking over, when San Fran just signed Gore to a 4-year deal with $13.5 mil guaranteed before the 2011 season. Barring major injury, count on Gore starting for 3 of those 4 contract years, i.e. through 2013 (his age 29 and 30 seasons). The final year, we'll see based on how he's doing to that point.When Gore's time is up though, I expect a new face to arrive as the primary back, not for them to give the ball to Hunter for 250+ carries. Very unlikely in my opinion.
Dunno about "done" but a full 16 games isn't gonna happen again.

:goodposting: this.

:goodposting: Hunter had his chances last year when Gore was dinged up and did nothing with it. Didn't look explosive or powerful at all.

:goodposting: Hunter had his chances last year when Gore was dinged up and did nothing with it. Didn't look explosive or powerful at all.
Not sure who you were watching but he averaged 4.2 ypc on 112 rushes. Not sure how you came to your conclusion. Every time I watched Hunter he looked very explosive and fast through the hole and he's not afraid to mix it up between the tackles.ETA: What I see in Hunter as his greatest asset is his vision.

I think maybe what people saw was a result of the differences between he and Gore, but not a trait of himself.

What I mean is, when we saw Hunter last year, we notice a stark difference between him and gore because Gore is so different. And I think we have to temper what we saw by remembering that Hunter was coming in fresh after teams had been bludgened by Gore and his style and then exposed to another completely different style.

yes, his production was there and there is no arguing that. But I think when you take it out of a vaccuum, you sstart to see why the 49'ers see him as complimentary and not a true replacement. I would be skeptical that Hunter could come in and maintain or exceed what he showed on a more limited basis, if he were asked to be a bell cow back.

I agree with the Casting couch. I think he nailed it. this has all the looks of a bernard Scott 2.0 (a guy that looks good in his spots but the team doesn't want Scott, they want a bruiser that is going to mush things up, then bring in Hunter to take advantage of his different skills).

Seems his coaching staff feels the same way:
According to CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco, Brandon Jacobs was signed in large part because the 49ers "don't have confidence in" Anthony Dixon and view Kendall Hunter as a "change-of-pace" back.We had already dumped Dixon, owner of a per-carry average of 3.3 in two years, even in deep Dynasty leagues. The 49ers will ditch him next. While we remain high on Hunter's ability, his Dynasty value is capped by the coaching staff's view that he's a complementary back as a opposed to a lead runner.

While we remain high on Hunter's ability, his Dynasty value is capped by the coaching staff's view that he's a complementary back as a opposed to a lead runner.
Can you show me where the coaches said this? Sounds like an opinion of Matt Maiocco to me.

While we remain high on Hunter's ability, his Dynasty value is capped by the coaching staff's view that he's a complementary back as a opposed to a lead runner.
Can you show me where the coaches said this? Sounds like an opinion of Matt Maiocco to me.
I posted something from a beat reporter. If you want to pretend he's making that up without having any info from within the organization, that's cool with me.

I posted something from a beat reporter. If you want to pretend he's making that up without having any info from within the organization, that's cool with me.
Happens all the time.

Read the thread again, it's not too difficult to locate.
You can just tell me which post it is that shows a link where the coaches actually said they only viewed Hunter as a COP back. I don't care enough to. Besides, the proof will be in the pudding once Hunter gets his chance and he will perform well enough they won't be able to remove him.

Read the thread again, it's not too difficult to locate.
You can just tell me which post it is that shows a link where the coaches actually said they only viewed Hunter as a COP back. I don't care enough to. Besides, the proof will be in the pudding once Hunter gets his chance and he will perform well enough they won't be able to remove him.
As a 9er fan I hope you're right but it's a longshot from everything I know.

Those of you in dynasty leagues that are already casting Hunter off, go right ahead. It makes him cheaper for me to obtain. I think he's a Brian Westbrook clone and he proved to be durable carrying the load with 271 attempts for 1500+ yds and 16 TDs his senior season. He can be a nightmare for defenses to prepare for and I would think you would want that kind of player on the field as much as possible.

Seems his coaching staff feels the same way:

According to CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco, Brandon Jacobs was signed in large part because the 49ers "don't have confidence in" Anthony Dixon and view Kendall Hunter as a "change-of-pace" back.

We had already dumped Dixon, owner of a per-carry average of 3.3 in two years, even in deep Dynasty leagues. The 49ers will ditch him next. While we remain high on Hunter's ability, his Dynasty value is capped by the coaching staff's view that he's a complementary back as a opposed to a lead runner.
Just to clarify, Rotoworld has framed this statement to make it seem that Maiocco heard from the 49ers, but the quote actually came from an article where Maiocco list his top 49ers needs.
With their salary cap whittled down to the point where they can fit in their draft class and not much else, let's assume the 49ers are finished spending big free-agent dollars.

The focus now shifts toward the draft.

The 49ers have seven draft wants -- and that's because needs is just too strong of a word.

As I see it, there are only two positions where the 49ers can add a starter. At the very least, they need depth at those spots.

Here is the complete list of spots the 49ers will look to fill in the draft:

5. Running back: Frank Gore is the starter, but the 49ers can be expected to try to upgrade behind him. Kendall Hunter is a change-of-pace back -- not an every-down solution. Anthony Dixon was in the doghouse a year ago because he was inconsistent with his assignments. Veteran Rock Cartwright was signed for his special-teams play. The 49ers are definitely in the market for a 215-plus-pound no-nonsense runner who is reliable in blitz pickup.

Read more: Ranking the 49ers' draft 'wants'

Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

Users who are viewing this thread