What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kendall Hunter (1 Viewer)

Source

Christopher Harris

ESPN

So much for the Kendall Hunter hype train.

Personally, I think Hunter could handle the job as Frank Gore's backup in the San Francisco 49ers' backfield. Hunter may be short (5-foot-7) but he's no lightweight. He's 200 pounds of quick-twitch speed, and I still think he has ability similar to Ray Rice. Then again, I'm not in the 49ers' meeting room, and for now Jim Harbaugh & Co. appear to have decided Hunter is mostly a third-down back. How do I know this? Because San Francisco just inked Brandon Jacobs to a one-year deal.

Now, this certainly isn't a major financial commitment to a player who's become known for somewhat erratic behavior and a running style that doesn't befit his massive (6-foot-4, 264 pounds) frame. Toward the end of his career with the New York Giants, he lost lead-back duties to Ahmad Bradshaw; in the 2011 season, Bradshaw averaged just north of 14 carries per game, while Jacobs averaged just shy of 11, and Bradshaw actually scored nine rushing TDs to the much bigger man's seven. Jacobs will be 30 in July, and there's no guarantee he'll even be the 49ers' short-yardage back in '12. He could very well wind up an afterthought. But for the moment, for as long as he's on this roster, we have to consider him a threat to Gore's TDs.

Everyone knows Gore is an injury risk. It's true that he appeared in 16 games last season for the first time since '06, but it's also true that the Niners all but eliminated him in the passing game (he had a mere 17 catches, after averaging 51 grabs per season over his previous five injury-shortened campaigns) and rested him for long stretches during the season's second half. The team tried giving its goal-line touches to Anthony Dixon, but Dixon was uninspired, to say the least, and Gore mostly reassumed those duties as the season went on. Connect the dots: One way to keep Gore healthy would be to remove him from those short-yardage car crashes, and in theory Jacobs should be up to that task. Provided he's on the roster and used regularly, that would make Jacobs a legit candidate to lead the 49ers in rushing scores next season.

If Gore gets hurt, however, I wouldn't trust Jacobs to assume the starting job. I still think that mantle will belong to Hunter, who I believe is getting a bad rap here. I still view him as Gore's handcuff. But I acknowledge that the acquisition of Jacobs probably removes Hunter from the sleeper list: The only reason to draft him this summer will likely be if you draft Gore first. As for Jacobs, I definitely don't rule out the possibility that he does the cha-cha-cha at the line of scrimmage a few times, earns his new coaches' ire rather quickly and goes gently into that good night. And even if he's a good soldier and successfully plays the part of bull in china shop, I can't see him coming anywhere near his 152 carries from last season. Heck if he gets to 100, I'll be surprised. As such, he's going to be a TD vulture at best, and you probably don't need to draft him outside extremely deep leagues.

As for Gore? Well, this isn't the greatest news. Essentially replacing Dixon with Jacobs should, in theory, supply the Niners with a better in-close TD-maker, and that means it might not be smart to bet Gore winds up with more than the eight TDs he scored in '11. Take away his short-yardage duties and essentially remove him from the passing game? Well, even in a fantasy football season that shapes up as one of the most frustrating ever for RBs, I already didn't consider Gore a top-10 back, and this drives him down to No. 13 on my RB list. It's certainly not a fatal blow -- I mean, after all, this is Brandon Jacobs -- but it's illustrative of the lengths the 49ers will go to keep their money man healthy.

Source

Christopher Harris

ESPN

Personally, I think Hunter could handle the job as Frank Gore's backup in the San Francisco 49ers' backfield. Hunter may be short (5-foot-7) but he's no lightweight. He's 200 pounds of quick-twitch speed, and I still think he has ability similar to Ray Rice. Then again, I'm not in the 49ers' meeting room, and for now Jim Harbaugh & Co. appear to have decided Hunter is mostly a third-down back. How do I know this? Because San Francisco just inked Brandon Jacobs to a one-year deal.

Now, this certainly isn't a major financial commitment to a player who's become known for somewhat erratic behavior and a running style that doesn't befit his massive (6-foot-4, 264 pounds) frame. Toward the end of his career with the New York Giants, he lost lead-back duties to Ahmad Bradshaw; in the 2011 season, Bradshaw averaged just north of 14 carries per game, while Jacobs averaged just shy of 11, and Bradshaw actually scored nine rushing TDs to the much bigger man's seven. Jacobs will be 30 in July, and there's no guarantee he'll even be the 49ers' short-yardage back in '12. He could very well wind up an afterthought. But for the moment, for as long as he's on this roster, we have to consider him a threat to Gore's TDs.

Everyone knows Gore is an injury risk. It's true that he appeared in 16 games last season for the first time since '06, but it's also true that the Niners all but eliminated him in the passing game (he had a mere 17 catches, after averaging 51 grabs per season over his previous five injury-shortened campaigns) and rested him for long stretches during the season's second half. The team tried giving its goal-line touches to Anthony Dixon, but Dixon was uninspired, to say the least, and Gore mostly reassumed those duties as the season went on. Connect the dots: One way to keep Gore healthy would be to remove him from those short-yardage car crashes, and in theory Jacobs should be up to that task. Provided he's on the roster and used regularly, that would make Jacobs a legit candidate to lead the 49ers in rushing scores next season.

If Gore gets hurt, however, I wouldn't trust Jacobs to assume the starting job. I still think that mantle will belong to Hunter, who I believe is getting a bad rap here. I still view him as Gore's handcuff. But I acknowledge that the acquisition of Jacobs probably removes Hunter from the sleeper list: The only reason to draft him this summer will likely be if you draft Gore first. As for Jacobs, I definitely don't rule out the possibility that he does the cha-cha-cha at the line of scrimmage a few times, earns his new coaches' ire rather quickly and goes gently into that good night. And even if he's a good soldier and successfully plays the part of bull in china shop, I can't see him coming anywhere near his 152 carries from last season. Heck if he gets to 100, I'll be surprised. As such, he's going to be a TD vulture at best, and you probably don't need to draft him outside extremely deep leagues.

As for Gore? Well, this isn't the greatest news. Essentially replacing Dixon with Jacobs should, in theory, supply the Niners with a better in-close TD-maker, and that means it might not be smart to bet Gore winds up with more than the eight TDs he scored in '11. Take away his short-yardage duties and essentially remove him from the passing game? Well, even in a fantasy football season that shapes up as one of the most frustrating ever for RBs, I already didn't consider Gore a top-10 back, and this drives him down to No. 13 on my RB list. It's certainly not a fatal blow -- I mean, after all, this is Brandon Jacobs -- but it's illustrative of the lengths the 49ers will go to keep their money man healthy.
I don't see anything in that to make me believe the 49ers think less of Kendall Hunter. I think it says more about Anthony Dixon. Whether Hunter becomes a lead back I don't know, but I do know this, he can do the job very effectively. Maybe even better than Ray Rice.

'JohnnyU said:
Whether Hunter becomes a lead back I don't know, but I do know this, he can do the job very effectively. Maybe even better than Ray Rice.
:confused: Huh ?
I'm saying given the chance he can be as good as Ray Rice. That's not beyond the realm of possibility. I remember when Ray Rice wasn't considered a lead RB ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Source

Christopher Harris

ESPN

I don't see anything in that to make me believe the 49ers think less of Kendall Hunter. I think it says more about Anthony Dixon. Whether Hunter becomes a lead back I don't know, but I do know this, he can do the job very effectively. Maybe even better than Ray Rice.
"So much for the Kendall Hunter hype train" is part of the article, not my own opinion of the article. I'm not sure if you were confused by that or not so I thought I would clear it up. I hope your belief in Hunter comes true. I've held onto him all year hoping he slowly takes over. I'm not too pleased with the Jacobs' signing though, it can only hurt.

Like others, Jacobs signing doesn't change Hunter's value IMO.

Its still too early to give up on him though. Especially a rookie RB with no offseason.

I'd be a happy man if he was the next Ray Rice :excited:

I guess we have talked it to death and will find out in a few years or sooner if Gore goes down.
He doesn't run the ball well inside. If you can't do that you have to be an absolute athletic freak to be a good NFL player, he isn't. Ray Rice and MJD run the ball inside the majority of the time and they have a lot of power. I've seen a lot of guys who love him on every forum and they always say he's the same size as Rice and MJD. He doesn't play like them at all which is what matters. He cannot be more than a CoP guy unless he puts on a ton more muscle, especially his legs, without losing quickness and runs between the tackles much, much more effectively. I don't see guys change drastically so I don't see it happening. I think he's a sell high if you have someone in your league who thinks he's worth a first round pick.

Whether Hunter becomes a lead back I don't know, but I do know this, he can do the job very effectively. Maybe even better than Ray Rice.
I'm saying given the chance he can be as good as Ray Rice. That's not beyond the realm of possibility. I remember when Ray Rice wasn't considered a lead RB ;)
That never happened. Rice was a second round pick - McGahee was the incumbent and held the job for the first season Rice easily pushed him aside the next season.None of that has anything to do with Hunter. I like him and think he is probably capable of a bigger role, but right now it doesn't seem like he'll get that chance anytime soon.

Source

Christopher Harris

ESPN

Personally, I think Hunter could handle the job as Frank Gore's backup in the San Francisco 49ers' backfield. ...
"So much for the Kendall Hunter hype train" is part of the article, not my own opinion of the article. I'm not sure if you were confused by that or not so I thought I would clear it up. I hope your belief in Hunter comes true. I've held onto him all year hoping he slowly takes over. I'm not too pleased with the Jacobs' signing though, it can only hurt.
ESPN is almost exclusively writing about redraft. In redraft, Hunter's hype train upside is limited by Jacobs. In 2013, Jacobs will be in the WWE.Silver lining: SF will not draft a RB to compete with Hunter. Chris Polk would be a much bigger threat to Hunter's dynasty prospects.

Source

Christopher Harris

ESPN

Personally, I think Hunter could handle the job as Frank Gore's backup in the San Francisco 49ers' backfield. ...
ESPN is almost exclusively writing about redraft. In redraft, Hunter's hype train upside is limited by Jacobs. In 2013, Jacobs will be in the WWE.Silver lining: SF will not draft a RB to compete with Hunter. Chris Polk would be a much bigger threat to Hunter's dynasty prospects.
The 49ers may not use a draft pick on a RB this year, but they could always select one in the 2013 draft. I am optimistic that Hunter can still snag a useful number of the touches to make him a decent FF player, and his body of work so far is inconclusive to what his future career direction holds for us, but he isn't without risk to be sure.

Source

Christopher Harris

ESPN

The 49ers may not use a draft pick on a RB this year, but they could always select one in the 2013 draft. I am optimistic that Hunter can still snag a useful number of the touches to make him a decent FF player, and his body of work so far is inconclusive to what his future career direction holds for us, but he isn't without risk to be sure.
After Jacobs was signed the first two draft prospects the 49ers brought in were David Wilson and Doug Martin. The Jacobs signing has jack squat to do with the 49ers draft. Jacobs might not even make the final team.

Yeah, that's a possibility, and it's not a bad one for Hunter because it gives him a window. If he walks into camp in 2013 as "his job to lose" that's a good thing. Foster:Tate, Bradshaw:ABrown, Fred:Spiller, SGreene:Powell, Starks:AGreen, BJGE:Ridley/Vereen, Benson:Scott. Unless Gore plays forever.

I guess we have talked it to death and will find out in a few years or sooner if Gore goes down.
He doesn't run the ball well inside. If you can't do that you have to be an absolute athletic freak to be a good NFL player, he isn't. Ray Rice and MJD run the ball inside the majority of the time and they have a lot of power. I've seen a lot of guys who love him on every forum and they always say he's the same size as Rice and MJD. He doesn't play like them at all which is what matters. He cannot be more than a CoP guy unless he puts on a ton more muscle, especially his legs, without losing quickness and runs between the tackles much, much more effectively. I don't see guys change drastically so I don't see it happening. I think he's a sell high if you have someone in your league who thinks he's worth a first round pick.
You're wrong about Hunter between the tackles. He does run well and has excellent vision. You seem to be throwing darts.

Great thread. I think Hunter and Jacquizz Rodgers are very interesting from a FF perspective because they might be the best values at RB. Better than some of the rookies in this draft yet undervalued. How does everyone see hunter versus Rodgers from a dynasty standpoint? What is their vale from a rookie pick?

Ray Rice got 380 carries in 13 games his last year in college. Anyone who didn't think he was a lead back was blind to the overwhelming mountain of evidence to the contrary.

Ray Rice got 380 carries in 13 games his last year in college. Anyone who didn't think he was a lead back was blind to the overwhelming mountain of evidence to the contrary.
I guess you could say the same thing about Hunter, who had 271 carries his last year in college. That's a hell of a lot of carries too.

I guess you could say the same thing about Hunter, who had 271 carries his last year in college. That's a hell of a lot of carries too.
I do remember thinking there were questions about Rice coming out of college. And with his landing spot. Anyway most important thing is whether Hunter is talented enough and gets the opportunity. I think I would be willing to get him cheaply now because after the Jacobs signing people might be more down on him.

271 isn't a "hell of a lot". It's a good amount, but it is many orders of magnitude fewer than 380. It's also irrelevant- I am not addressing any perceptions about Hunter, I'm strictlly addressing your claim that people generally doubted Rice's ability to be a lead back. Rice had more carries in 13 games than all but 15 nfl rbs managed in 16 games. His pace would have broken the nfl carry record by more than 50 carries. Anyone who questioned whether he was capable of being a lead back had to have been ignorant that such a thing as college football even existed.

271 isn't a "hell of a lot". It's a good amount, but it is many orders of magnitude fewer than 380. It's also irrelevant- I am not addressing any perceptions about Hunter, I'm strictlly addressing your claim that people generally doubted Rice's ability to be a lead back. Rice had more carries in 13 games than all but 15 nfl rbs managed in 16 games. His pace would have broken the nfl carry record by more than 50 carries. Anyone who questioned whether he was capable of being a lead back had to have been ignorant that such a thing as college football even existed.
I agree with you, I'm just saying there were some doubters about Rice because of his size. Rice is a stud.

Maybe SF can sign Devin Thomas as a wr1 as well.Your track record isn't good, Hoss.
Yes it is. Everyone misses some, you're just pointing out Thomas and there are others too. Hell, I drafted Jamarcus Russell in the first round of a couple of rookie drafts :bag: I've hit on many as well, (DeSean Jackson in the 2nd round of rookie drafts, Mike Wallace (in the 4th rd of a few rookie drafts) Jermichael Finley (off the ww in several leagues), Jimmy Graham (late in rookie drafts, Greg Jennings late in rookie drafts, and many more). Yes, my track record is very good. I have the titles to prove it. Selectively pointing out my misses is ok I guess, but your statement about my track record is more than a little bit skewed. Who are you?

Oh. I thought there was some news or something. So nothing has changed. Thanks.
There really is only so many ways to say the same thing ;) but it does serve as a reminder to those interested to try and get him now before his value goes through the roof.
Yeah, his value is rocketing upward now that the 49ers signed Brandon Jacobs to back up Gore.

Oh. I thought there was some news or something. So nothing has changed.

Thanks.
There really is only so many ways to say the same thing ;) but it does serve as a reminder to those interested to try and get him now before his value goes through the roof.
Yeah, his value is rocketing upward now that the 49ers signed Brandon Jacobs to back up Gore.
Everyone in here seems to have a lot of respect for Greg Cosell, so here is his take on Hunter."NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell compares 49ers rookie Kendall Hunter to Brian Westbrook, the man he's replacing in San Francisco.

The two are almost carbon copies in height, weight, and speed while doing much of their damage out of shotgun offenses. "I thought he was a very powerful guy for 199 pounds," Cosell said of Hunter. "He had a very physical running style. He had suddenness in the way he moves, the ability to stop and start and change direction." Hunter also has similarities to Ray Rice. We expect him to pass Anthony Dixon on the depth chart this summer.

Source: Sacramento Bee"

I don't think it' s accurate to say Jacobs was signed to "back up" Gore. I'm assuming you know this and are just having some fun with Johnny U.

I don't think it' s accurate to say Jacobs was signed to "back up" Gore. I'm assuming you know this and are just having some fun with Johnny U.
No, he means it. Who knows, it may be true for the short term. I like what Greg Cosell said about Hunter and what my eyes saw in him. He's as good a gamble as most and I emphasize gamble. Nothing is set in stone.

Thanks.
Everyone in here seems to have a lot of respect for Greg Cosell, so here is his take on Hunter."NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell compares 49ers rookie Kendall Hunter to Brian Westbrook, the man he's replacing in San Francisco.

The two are almost carbon copies in height, weight, and speed while doing much of their damage out of shotgun offenses. "I thought he was a very powerful guy for 199 pounds," Cosell said of Hunter. "He had a very physical running style. He had suddenness in the way he moves, the ability to stop and start and change direction." Hunter also has similarities to Ray Rice. We expect him to pass Anthony Dixon on the depth chart this summer.

OK, now how about an article about him that ISN'T a year old? :)

Thanks.

Do you think Cosell has changed his mind about Hunter since then?

No, he means it. Who knows, it may be true for the short term. I like what Greg Cosell said about Hunter and what my eyes saw in him. He's as good a gamble as most and I emphasize gamble. Nothing is set in stone.
Well just IMO, but it seems clear to me that Jacobs wasn't signed as Gore's b/u per se. If anything, he was signed as a situational and short yardage/GL back. Saying he was signed as his b/u implies that when Gore needs a breather it will be Jacobs who goes in. I think both Jacobs and Hunter will be used as situational backs, I would label Hunter as more Gore's b/u than Jacobs still nonetheless.

Thanks.

Do you think Cosell has changed his mind about Hunter since then?
Costello compared Cyrus Gray to Kendall Hunter and quickly pointed out that they are "role" players and "the 2nd back" of a tandem.

Thanks.

A year old article about Hunter does not hold too much weight today, after seeing a very average Hunter run the ball last yr.I've said it before and I'll say it again and again. do NOT overpay for Kendall Hunter. He is a CHANGE of PACE RB !!!

Thanks.

A year old article about Hunter does not hold too much weight today, after seeing a very average Hunter run the ball last yr.I've said it before and I'll say it again and again. do NOT overpay for Kendall Hunter. He is a CHANGE of PACE RB !!!
I'll ask again, do you think because that article was from 2011 it changes the way Greg Cosell thinks of Kendall Hunter?

Thanks.

I'll ask again, do you think because that article was from 2011 it changes the way Greg Cosell thinks of Kendall Hunter?
Cosell's opinion is likely still similar, but he isn't immune from changing his view based on what his updated observations are from his film study either. The comparison was made to Westbrook, but it also doesn't mean that Hunter will have the same career trajectory that Westbrook had, just that there are some similarities to their game.I own Hunter in one of my leagues, and I am optimistic that he can be more than what he has shown so far in the NFL (as the jury is still out on what he can become IMHO).

Thanks.

Cosell's opinion is likely still similar, but he isn't immune from changing his view based on what his updated observations are from his film study either. The comparison was made to Westbrook, but it also doesn't mean that Hunter will have the same career trajectory that Westbrook had, just that there are some similarities to their game.I own Hunter in one of my leagues, and I am optimistic that he can be more than what he has shown so far in the NFL (as the jury is still out on what he can become IMHO).
Exactly !!! the jury is still out. Sure anyone change their mind on a player, but there isn't any reason to change your opinion on Hunter given the current samply size. He averaged 4.3 ypc and had good vision. I don't see where it's time to throw Hunter under the bus or remotely close to it.

I'm with you JohnnyU. Seems his value has taken a steep drop since Summer 2011, though.
His value last summer was that of a rookie being drafted in the early to mid second round of rookie drafts. I don't believe his value has dropped, as I don't see anyone trading him for less than that this offseason, and it definitely hasn't "taken a steep drop." Maybe I'm missing something?

Is it possible that Gore is going to see things winding down sooner than later? They had to pay him last season, he was holding out or wanting more money. I wasn't blown away by Hunter, the Niners are trying to create a lot more offense to pair with a vicious defense...these guys are making a Super Bowl run with Alex Smith at this point so they want as many ways to create points. James is join to have a spot immediately I would think, he'll snap off some big runs, but ultimately I think he is more of a toy or gadget, a guy they can get the ball to 10-15 times a game depending on the situation.

If there is a handcuff to Gore for this season, I still think it's Hunter. I don't think Hunter has too much of a chance to become a full-time guy there long-term, but the James pick doesn't impact that at all, IMO.

If there is a handcuff to Gore for this season, I still think it's Hunter. I don't think Hunter has too much of a chance to become a full-time guy there long-term, but the James pick doesn't impact that at all, IMO.
I think the main player this impacts is Hunter and in a negative way. Hunter should lose PT with the addition of James.I don't see how this can be viewed any other way. It's an indictment on Hunter, he was sub-par last year, and now it looks like Harbaugh wants to go in a different direction.

I think the main player this impacts is Hunter and in a negative way. Hunter should lose PT with the addition of James.I don't see how this can be viewed any other way. It's an indictment on Hunter, he was sub-par last year, and now it looks like Harbaugh wants to go in a different direction.
I'm not sure how Hunters season could be considered sub-par on any level. He was backing up Gore & looked good when he was given playing time. The James pick was a surprise, not because they didn't need an RB, but because they needed more of a full time guy. If you assume Gore is phased out over the next 2 seasons, the 49ers will then have 2 undersized backs that fit the 3nd down mold. Of the 2, I would think Hunter actually fits a little more as the full down back, with James the 3rd down guy. Should be fun to see what Harbaugh has in mind for them.

I'm not sure how Hunters season could be considered sub-par on any level. He was backing up Gore & looked good when he was given playing time. The James pick was a surprise, not because they didn't need an RB, but because they needed more of a full time guy. If you assume Gore is phased out over the next 2 seasons, the 49ers will then have 2 undersized backs that fit the 3nd down mold. Of the 2, I would think Hunter actually fits a little more as the full down back, with James the 3rd down guy. Should be fun to see what Harbaugh has in mind for them.
I shouldn't say sub-par, I think he looked average, nothing special. But I don't see how this can have no effect on Hunter,as the Match seems to think. Maybe wishful thinking by a Hunter owner. I also own Hunter in half of my leagues, I'm not stoked with the James pick.

'Casting Couch said:
'mcd said:
'Casting Couch said:
'BeTheMatch said:
I shouldn't say sub-par, I think he looked average, nothing special. But I don't see how this can have no effect on Hunter,as the Match seems to think. Maybe wishful thinking by a Hunter owner. I also own Hunter in half of my leagues, I'm not stoked with the James pick.
I just don't think James is an obstacle that Hunter has to overcome in his pursuit of a featured role. Again, I don't think it's very likely that Hunter ever secures that role, but I don't think his chances got any worse with the addition of James, because I don't view James as having even the small shot at the featured role that Hunter does.

I traded for hunter in the offseason, and am a bit deflated ... Had it been Hillman, and James in Denver, I would be less concerned.

'Casting Couch said:
'mcd said:
'Casting Couch said:
'BeTheMatch said:
I'm not sure how Hunters season could be considered sub-par on any level. He was backing up Gore & looked good when he was given playing time.

The James pick was a surprise, not because they didn't need an RB, but because they needed more of a full time guy. If you assume Gore is phased out over the next 2 seasons, the 49ers will then have 2 undersized backs that fit the 3nd down mold. Of the 2, I would think Hunter actually fits a little more as the full down back, with James the 3rd down guy. Should be fun to see what Harbaugh has in mind for them.
I just don't think James is an obstacle that Hunter has to overcome in his pursuit of a featured role. Again, I don't think it's very likely that Hunter ever secures that role, but I don't think his chances got any worse with the addition of James, because I don't view James as having even the small shot at the featured role that Hunter does.
Not getting this considering James is basically a faster version of Hunter.

Users who are viewing this thread