What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's play pick a player in dynasty - must be same position - only two players listed per post (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Thread rules - Post just two players of the same position in a single post and then anyone respond to it. Don't put more than one set of players (2) in your post.

Sam Howell or Brock Purdy?

Thread rules - Post just two players of the same position in a single post and then anyone respond to it. Don't put more than one set of players (2) in your post.

Here's one that includes a player that will be in the 2023 draft.

Trey Lance or Anthony Richardson? Both are raw. I never thought I would see someone more raw than Lance, but AR is it IMO.

Trey Lance or Anthony Richardson? Both are raw. I never thought I would see someone more raw than Lance, but AR is it IMO.

As a Gators fan, this is Lance by a mile for me.

Richardson just doesn't have it, imo.

Purdy

Assuming he keeps the job, great system and a lot of weapons
Hard to say. My guess is that Lance will be the starter if healthy, but I could be wrong. I do believe JG is gone this time, but could be wrong about that as well.

Well, Purdy certainly complicates this one. As a 49er fan, I'm not down on Lance at all, unlike others. They had to know he would need time after playing only 1 season of college ball and then sitting out a year. If you actually watched the first game against the Bears, he made some really good throws in the first half. Then the heavy rains came and the entire offense derailed. I think he would have been fine if he hadn't got hurt trying to run like a fullback. Anyway, I digress. Lance is only 22 and has a ton of talent, is smart and dedicated to the game, so would roll with him.

As a Gators fan, this is Lance by a mile for me.

Richardson just doesn't have it, imo.
I agree. AR looks like a SF bust, regardless of his rushing upside.

Well, Purdy certainly complicates this one. As a 49er fan, I'm not down on Lance at all, unlike others. They had to know he would need time after playing only 1 season of college ball and then sitting out a year. If you actually watched the first game against the Bears, he made some really good throws in the first half. I think he would have been fine if he hadn't got hurt trying to run like a fullback. Anyway, I digress. Lance is only 22 and has a ton of talent, is smart and dedicated to the game, so would roll with him.
I agree about Lance, but between Howell and Purdy, I think people are dismissing Howell because Purdy has played well. Howell could be a better long term dynasty asset whenever he gets his chance.

Last edited:
Justin Fields or Jalen Hurts
Tough one

Have to go with Hurts because of the receiving talent the Eagles have assembed. Brown, Smith and Goedert. Tough to get better than that. Hopefully the Bears will get Fields some pass catchers this off season. Mooney can be a decent #2/3 type and Claypool is a #3 at best. Hurts has two #1 type guys.

Well, Purdy certainly complicates this one. As a 49er fan, I'm not down on Lance at all, unlike others. They had to know he would need time after playing only 1 season of college ball and then sitting out a year. If you actually watched the first game against the Bears, he made some really good throws in the first half. I think he would have been fine if he hadn't got hurt trying to run like a fullback. Anyway, I digress. Lance is only 22 and has a ton of talent, is smart and dedicated to the game, so would roll with him.
I agree about Lance, but between Howell and Purdy, I think people are dismissing Howell because Purdy has played well. Howell could be a better long term dynasty asset when he gets his chance.
Maybe, but prefer the Shanahan system. That said, McLaurin and Dotson look like a potential lethal combo

I agree about Lance, but between Howell and Purdy, I think people are dismissing Howell because Purdy has played well. Howell could be a better long term dynasty asset when he gets his chance.
Maybe, but prefer the Shanahan system. That said, McLaurin and Dotson look like a potential lethal combo
Both good points for either side. I think people favor Purdy because they have seen him play, whereas Howell hasn't.

Definitely Purdy…he has showed a lot since he became the starter while Howell is still a total unknown who was not a high draft pick.

Burrow vs Herbert

Burrow…surrounded by fantastic young weapons, a good offensive Coach and seems to have the “it” factor in a big way.
A deep playoff run by LAC can change things. I do agree with your take though.
I don't see how it changes anything. The Chargers weapons are meh and Allen is getting old. Ekeler leads the team in receptions.
The chargers receivers have been banged up all year, now finally together.

Purdy for me. Homer pick, perhaps, but the kid has done nothing but impress me. He’s patient, makes good reads, and plays within himself. He doesn’t force plays or try to play hero ball like so many QBs with much longer track records - he makes smart decisions and throws it away rather than taking bad sacks or throwing dumb picks. He’s an effective game-manager, and with the way the Niners are built, that’s exactly what they need him to be. I like his chances at winning the starting job next year, regardless of what happens in the playoffs. I mean, unless he completely faceplants and renders everything I said moot, but I doubt that happens.

Burrow vs Herbert

Burrow…surrounded by fantastic young weapons, a good offensive Coach and seems to have the “it” factor in a big way.
A deep playoff run by LAC can change things. I do agree with your take though.
I don't see how it changes anything. The Chargers weapons are meh and Allen is getting old. Ekeler leads the team in receptions.
Allen looks damn good since he came back. His style of play will age well, so can see him playing at a high level for another 2-3 years. Health is always the thing with him as it is with Williams. But yeah, not nearly the caliber of weapons that Burrow has.

Justin Jefferson or Ja'mar Chase?
Jefferson for me.

I like chase. A lot. He’s electric.

But Chase has Higgins and is in an offense that doesn’t necessarily have to move through him.

JJ makes spectacular catches, and can beat an opponent at all levels of the field. He is the best WR in the NFL, and I feel like he’s left a little meat on the bone this season - which is ridiculous considering he might have a 2K yard WR season.

Bryce Young or CJ Stroud - call your shots now boys!

Bryce. Both have their warts but I’ll trust the talent and go with the idea of the landscape of the league changing which might allow Bryce to overcome his physical worries as he has everything else needed

Etienne or Dobbins ?

For fantasy I like Young. He could be a better version of Jalen Hurts. Young's size can't be overlooked however, but I like his rushing upside over Stroud and he can also throw it too. It might be kind of like Jalen Hurts vs Trevor Lawrence in fantasy.

I’m lucky (I hope) and am drafting both (1, 2, 3, 4 :wub: ) but knee-jerk imma go with Young. He’s got more mobility, and while we didn’t see it a ton in college, the ability is there, and IMO could develop for him. he doesn’t need to be Fields (and won’t be) but if he can become a 3-5 point rushing QB per week that should elevate hisFF floor enough to make his passing accuracy & arm relevant in FF.

Stroud has the size, a great arm, makes good decisions and isn’t a statue, so he’s perhaps a better RL QB than Young, but with a lower FF ceiling. He can also roll out and make plays on the run, but he’s not going to be a 5+ point rushing QB (at least I don’t think he will).

That all said, landing spot is going to be everything. Pretty sure Young will be a Texan (and IMO they’re gonna draft WRs early too) so that’s a tough situation.

If Stroud lands in INDY or CAR, or Seattle he could be the better win-now prospect.

Like I said, I’m taking both so I’m rooting for them both to be good. But Young, despite his size, looks like he could be very good. His size does worry me though.

Bryce. Both have their warts but I’ll trust the talent and go with the idea of the landscape of the league changing which might allow Bryce to overcome his physical worries as he has everything else needed

Etienne or Dobbins ?
Etieene right now until I see if Dobbins gets healthier next year. If Dobbins hadn't gotten hurt I would have chose him.

Bijan Robinson or Jonathan Taylor?
Bijan Robinson by a lot. Firm believe RB's bodies only have so much to give, most of them anyway and playing the odds is the smart move most of the time. Taylor has 3 years of NFL wear and tear on his body and I can't see Robinson going to a situation as bad as Taylor but for sure not worse.

I’m lucky (I hope) and am drafting both (1, 2, 3, 4 :wub: ) but knee-jerk imma go with Young. He’s got more mobility, and while we didn’t see it a ton in college, the ability is there, and IMO could develop for him. he doesn’t need to be Fields (and won’t be) but if he can become a 3-5 point rushing QB per week that should elevate hisFF floor enough to make his passing accuracy & arm relevant in FF.

Stroud has the size, a great arm, makes good decisions and isn’t a statue, so he’s perhaps a better RL QB than Young, but with a lower FF ceiling. He can also roll out and make plays on the run, but he’s not going to be a 5+ point rushing QB (at least I don’t think he will).

That all said, landing spot is going to be everything. Pretty sure Young will be a Texan (and IMO they’re gonna draft WRs early too) so that’s a tough situation.

If Stroud lands in INDY or CAR, or Seattle he could be the better win-now prospect.

Like I said, I’m taking both so I’m rooting for them both to be good. But Young, despite his size, looks like he could be very good. His size does worry me though.
Not sure how you can endorse anyone landing in indy right now. That OL will get him killed if they don't address it in the off-season and their WR corps could be a lot better.

I'd say Purdy. I'm just not sure Howell ever gets a chance. He was a 5th round pick and has made no inroads on Wentz or Heinicke. Chances are the 2023 starter isn't on the team yet.

Purdy meanwhile has played well already and could just keep the starting job going forward. He was fortunate the 2 guys in front of him got hurt, otherwise he may never have gotten a chance to show what he can do, but now that he has, I think that job is his to lose.

Justin Jefferson or Ja'mar Chase?
Maybe a hot take, but I think Jefferson is a much better WR than Chase. I'm not sure this is all that close.

Jahan Dotson vs Terry McLaurin
McLaurin. I don't think Dotson has #1 talent. His ceiling is lower than where McLaurin currently is in my opinion.

Etienne or Dobbins ?
Etieene right now until I see if Dobbins gets healthier next year. If Dobbins hadn't gotten hurt I would have chose him.

Well that’s mildly cheating by putting in qualifiers 😂 as it’s partially why asked the question. All makes total sense though

Users who are viewing this thread