What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Listing the problems in society (1 Viewer)

Black and White thinking. Not the race issue (though that is a problem), no the thinking that it has to be this way or the other way. No middle ground. No gray areas. Most things are not good or bad. Most things in life are somewhere in the middle

Who said you "enforce" it?  You do what you can in the classroom.  You try to expose kids to other ways of thinking and living and new ideas.  You set an example by the way you live.  You cannot force people to be inclusive, that rebounds into negative thinking and mean spirited-ness.  Then you hope for the best.  We've made some progress in these areas but clearly we have a long way to go, in my opinion.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Who said you "enforce" it?  You do what you can in the classroom.  You try to expose kids to other ways of thinking and living and new ideas.  You set an example by the way you live.  You cannot force people to be inclusive, that rebounds into negative thinking and mean spirited-ness.  Then you hope for the best.  We've made some progress in these areas but clearly we have a long way to go, in my opinion.  
There really is little you can do in a classroom. It takes direct experience. I am far more experienced with Muslims than most Americans because of my Iraqi in-laws and working briefly in Egypt. I am far more experienced with Mexicans because I worked down there so much. But you can only become that familiar with a few cultures, unfortunately.

Power for power's sake. Some people are motivated by power: the need to be prominent, dominant, influential. Power for power's sake. Just look at our two major party candidates. Are they out to achieve anything except power for themselves? Sorry, they are not. They are motivated by power, not the desire to be of service. They aren't alone: Soros is the same way, for example. So is the leader of that motorcycle gang.

So you believe that this is the most pervasive problem in America and that most of the other issues in our country stem from this one issue and your solution is "meh, try to do better, I guess"? I can see you've really thought this one through.

How about the fact that the US has to pay for all the innovation and the rest of the world seems to get things much cheaper than we do.
Especially when you think about some drug prices here as compared to just across the border in Canada.

So you believe that this is the most pervasive problem in America and that most of the other issues in our country stem from this one issue and your solution is "meh, try to do better, I guess"? I can see you've really thought this one through.
Why so angry?  Wow, you folks are all charged up today.  Nothing meh about it.  I do what I can and live my life according to principles I feel are important.  I feel strongly about this, but if I out to much passion in my replies and I am called a troll.  Too little passion and I'm meh.  It is a pervasive problem, not easily remedied. It does contribute to lots of other issues such as poverty, education, job opportunitues, fair housing and so forth.  There is no easy fix.  Education and experience are the only ways I know that can begin to change it.  Ok?

Why so angry?  Wow, you folks are all charged up today.  Nothing meh about it.  I do what I can and live my life according to principles I feel are important.  I feel strongly about this, but if I out to much passion in my replies and I am called a troll.  Too little passion and I'm meh.  It is a pervasive problem, not easily remedied. It does contribute to lots of other issues such as poverty, education, job opportunitues, fair housing and so forth.  There is no easy fix.  Education and experience are the only ways I know that can begin to change it.  Ok?
Not angry at all. Your original post suggested that racism wasn't the issue so much as a single race was creating these problems. You picked a fight and then weren't crazy about it when the fight came to you.

I personally was intrigued by your solution and wondered if there was a proper way of implementing it and was disappointed when you had nothing.

Getting back on track, do you believe there are policies or systems in place that make it much more difficult for American non-whites to have access to adequate incomes, education, and housing? If so, it would help if you could expound on that.

I hear you, but I'm not sure much more could be done in the classroom.  ( @Sconch ?)  Teaching lots and lots of diversity to our youfs has been in place for quite awhile.  I'm all ears....

Not angry at all. Your original post suggested that racism wasn't the issue so much as a single race was creating these problems. You picked a fight and then weren't crazy about it when the fight came to you.

I personally was intrigued by your solution and wondered if there was a proper way of implementing it and was disappointed when you had nothing.

Getting back on track, do you believe there are policies or systems in place that make it much more difficult for American non-whites to have access to adequate incomes, education, and housing? If so, it would help if you could expound on that.
Everything we've tried so far has not worked, and much of it has backfired. We definitely need new ideas. I don't have any.

Well, glad to hear you are not angry.  I was not picking a fight.  I do not argue online anymore.  It is useless to try to change anyone's mind online.  It usually results in angry diatribes from one person or the other, or both.  

What Bueno just said is on point.  I know we've tried many programs to "fix" things and somehow, although we have made some progress, I am not sure we have become an egalitarian society just yet. 

Anyway, that is a huge question... concerning programs or policies that result in less than ideal circumstances for one group or another.   The first thing that comes to mind is the idea of Europeans just helping themselves to this continent, as if Native peoples had no rights or legal standing whatsoever. Manifest Destiny and all that crap. I could argue that genocide was being practiced but I know that riles lots of people.   Secondly, the concept of owning other people, slavery, did nothing to help racial relations.  I do not think I need to expound on that.  The entire set of Jim Crow laws were abominable.  As for current polices, there were and still are lots of zoning and gerrymandering going on that tends to segregate people in private schools and neighborhood public schools.  Private schools, to me exacerbate the problem by allowing those with money to get solid educations exclusive of those unable to afford tuition.  Privatizing prisons and insane Marijuana laws results in people of color being jailed at higher rates and longer sentences that those who can afford quality lawyers.  I will probably think of a few other things after I post this, but those are the immediate thoughts I had.  As 

As for the white superiority thing, some of the stuff Europeans have done cannot just be written off as inconsequential and in the past.  Racism/or white supremacy has deep and dark roots, that I think are becoming more evident via the anonymity of the internet.  I think lots of people in the USA and elsewhere are racist by default.  Not that they actively go out and discriminate against one group of the other, although that too occurs.  But more that they fail to recognize not only their own default positions on things, things they were taught perhaps by a racist household and think they have shed that stuff  but actually still harbor these negative thoughts about people of color, or muslims, or "the other" as Eli Wiesel put it.  By the way, I am not one who feels racism can only go one way.  I have met people who are racist towards Anglos.  They may have a harder time institutionalizing their racist thoughts, and some people say the oppressed are not really able to be racists becasue they lack the poower to enforce it.  I disagree with that.

Anyway, I am rambling.  These are the first thoughts that came to my mind on this topic.  Sorry if it is not more systemically or logically stated.   Or if I am trolling. NOT

edit ps: btw, teaching what you can in the classroom helps.  It at least exposes the kids to different music, different poetry, different philosophies, different people!  It expands the horizons, at the very least.  It might not be as effective as actually experiencing another culture, but in the absence of opportunity to travel, book learnin' is all we've got.  We tried busing and that seemed to create as many or more problems.  Many urban neighborhoods and schools remain highly segregated.  So direct experience of different cultures is not easily obtained.

A lot of these issues are intertwined. Regardless, our species is perpetually flawed. I have essentially zero hope for our long-term future.

Well, glad to hear you are not angry.  I was not picking a fight.  I do not argue online anymore.  It is useless to try to change anyone's mind online.  It usually results in angry diatribes from one person or the other, or both.  

What Bueno just said is on point.  I know we've tried many programs to "fix" things and somehow, although we have made some progress, I am not sure we have become an egalitarian society just yet. 

Anyway, that is a huge question... concerning programs or policies that result in less than ideal circumstances for one group or another.   The first thing that comes to mind is the idea of Europeans just helping themselves to this continent, as if Native peoples had no rights or legal standing whatsoever. Manifest Destiny and all that crap. I could argue that genocide was being practiced but I know that riles lots of people.   Secondly, the concept of owning other people, slavery, did nothing to help racial relations.  I do not think I need to expound on that.  The entire set of Jim Crow laws were abominable.  As for current polices, there were and still are lots of zoning and gerrymandering going on that tends to segregate people in private schools and neighborhood public schools.  Private schools, to me exacerbate the problem by allowing those with money to get solid educations exclusive of those unable to afford tuition.  Privatizing prisons and insane Marijuana laws results in people of color being jailed at higher rates and longer sentences that those who can afford quality lawyers.  I will probably think of a few other things after I post this, but those are the immediate thoughts I had.  As 

As for the white superiority thing, some of the stuff Europeans have done cannot just be written off as inconsequential and in the past.  Racism/or white supremacy has deep and dark roots, that I think are becoming more evident via the anonymity of the internet.  I think lots of people in the USA and elsewhere are racist by default.  Not that they actively go out and discriminate against one group of the other, although that too occurs.  But more that they fail to recognize not only their own default positions on things, things they were taught perhaps by a racist household and think they have shed that stuff  but actually still harbor these negative thoughts about people of color, or muslims, or "the other" as Eli Wiesel put it.  By the way, I am not one who feels racism can only go one way.  I have met people who are racist towards Anglos.  They may have a harder time institutionalizing their racist thoughts, and some people say the oppressed are not really able to be racists becasue they lack the poower to enforce it.  I disagree with that.

Anyway, I am rambling.  These are the first thoughts that came to my mind on this topic.  Sorry if it is not more systemically or logically stated.   Or if I am trolling. NOT
Would love to expound upon your comment, but will be gone most of the day. I will leave with this thought: to solve the problems we are facing requires everyone to take personal responsibility for their own actions, thoughts and beliefs. If you believe you are something, that is what you are. To solve our problems requires individuals to own their own #####. Then we can make progress.

A few I've thought of before:

The fragmentation of the world into various nation-states where globalization intersects cultures.  I think, at some point, becoming a more connected world where global governmental bodies (with teeth) could unite nation-states and give way to a population that saw themselves as "world" citizens would go a long way to phasing out some long-held prejudices and stereotypes that are variant and found within the borders of states, existing through historical events, religious beliefs, or other sources and perpetuated in part from state isolationism.

I forgot the other one while posting the above.  So maybe forgetfulness?

One big problem we have is that people complain too much and don't enjoy all the greatness we have and all the progress we've made the last 100 years or so.   We're on a pretty good trajectory, probably the best (and easiest) time to be alive ever.  Enjoy the ride. 

One big problem we have is that people complain too much and don't enjoy all the greatness we have and all the progress we've made the last 100 years or so.   We're on a pretty good trajectory, probably the best (and easiest) time to be alive ever.  Enjoy the ride. 
To piggyback on this concept, WAY too many people just looking for ways to be offended and outraged. Not every Tweet and FB post (or news/magazine article) is your opportunity to march to Montgomery. I had someone jump all over my case a couple of weeks ago because I used the word "females." Apparently that's a dehumanizing and sexist term now.

The biggest problem is that the post WWII society that we set up for ourselves was an artificial bubble and we have no way of re-igniting/sustaining it. Couple that with the idea that  that's what (for the most part) people still see as the (yes there were problems for women/minorities) norm.  

The biggest problem is that the post WWII society that we set up for ourselves was an artificial bubble and we have no way of re-igniting/sustaining it.
I assume you're talking economically. We sure did our level-best by handing out loans to European and Asian governments and then having them by our resources with that money, but we knew we were living on borrowed time even then. As those other countries recovered, we would have less and less of a global market-share.

Greed. Not that we can do anything about it because greed stems from an instinct to survive and make life as good as possible for you and your progeny.

The bottom line is everything can be traced back to basic instincts for survival and continuing your genetic line in as favorable environment as possible.

Find a way to curb those instincts and I think many problems go away.
It's basic human instinct.  It's never going to be curbed.  The best society can do is create a system in which most of its members believe they can better achieve those goals through participation and peaceful coexistence.

A few I've thought of before:

The fragmentation of the world into various nation-states where globalization intersects cultures.  I think, at some point, becoming a more connected world where global governmental bodies (with teeth) could unite nation-states and give way to a population that saw themselves as "world" citizens would go a long way to phasing out some long-held prejudices and stereotypes that are variant and found within the borders of states, existing through historical events, religious beliefs, or other sources and perpetuated in part from state isolationism.

I forgot the other one while posting the above.  So maybe forgetfulness?
You want a giant, global bureaucracy with "teeth" that can systematically homogenize all cultures, religions, and beliefs?

I couldn't imagine a system any more repressive.

Everything we've tried so far has not worked, and much of it has backfired. We definitely need new ideas. I don't have any.
There are plenty of ideas. The problem is we do not try them. When finding solutions to problems, debate is not a good method. Trial-and-error is better. There are undoubtedly ideas that will work but will never get tried because they cannot pass the debate phase. Someone will always shoot them down in debate. 

To piggyback on this concept, WAY too many people just looking for ways to be offended and outraged. Not every Tweet and FB post (or news/magazine article) is your opportunity to march to Montgomery. I had someone jump all over my case a couple of weeks ago because I used the word "females." Apparently that's a dehumanizing and sexist term now.
#####es be trippin

You want a giant, global bureaucracy with "teeth" that can systematically homogenize all cultures, religions, and beliefs?

I couldn't imagine a system any more repressive.
No, but I can see why my post might lead you to think that.  My main point, that I missed, is that I think humans need to see themselves as world citizens, as opposed to citizens of their country or state, and that one of the main ways I think we could achieve that is to have some kind of global government that unites nation-states (something more sinngificant than the UN).  I'm not imagining an oppressive government, like some out of Orwell's 1986, but something that can start tackling economic, social, and environmental issues at a global level.  I do think cultures would become more homogenous overtime, which is certainly a negative outcome, but I think there would be so many more pros that would vastly outweigh that.

No, but I can see why my post might lead you to think that.  My main point, that I missed, is that I think humans need to see themselves as world citizens, as opposed to citizens of their country or state, and that one of the main ways I think we could achieve that is to have some kind of global government that unites nation-states (something more sinngificant than the UN).  I'm not imagining an oppressive government, like some out of Orwell's 1986, but something that can start tackling economic, social, and environmental issues at a global level.  I do think cultures would become more homogenous overtime, which is certainly a negative outcome, but I think there would be so many more pros that would vastly outweigh that.
Glorious days. 

Like I said in the OP, I'm hoping for a little more than one word answers for the list.
mental health issues.

people who drink to the point of being addicted and messing up their lives and the lives of those around them both now and for generations to come.  :D

mental health issues.

people who drink to the point of being addicted and messing up their lives and the lives of those around them both now and for generations to come.  :D
mental health issues - like autism, Down's Syndrome? The cost for care to society?

And there are plenty of people who fit the description of alcoholics and can be productive embers of society. Maybe alcoholism that leads to homelessness?

Fair enough, but I think us as a country have much more pressing issues than this
But a lot of issues can't be discussed because many times, to get to the root of the problem, it requires some blunt talk. Saying things that might offend certain people.

Users who are viewing this thread