What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce (1 Viewer)

I've had several chefs contribute their favorite recipes (I really need to reformat that page, never enough time) - that tri tip marinade is my favorite of the bunch.

i usually use Purple Label + black pepper + bourbon. 24 hours then grill.  Simple and delicious. 
Can you give me a little more granularity?  Assuming a 3-4 Lb tri-tip, how much of each in the bolded?  Anything else other than those three ingredients?

Can you give me a little more granularity?  Assuming a 3-4 Lb tri-tip, how much of each in the bolded?  Anything else other than those three ingredients?
1 gal freezer bag

1/3-1/2 bottle purple label, 3-4 Tbsp black pepper (fresh coarse ground best), 1/2 C bourbon (f you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it) 

marinate 24 hours, grill. I usually go lean side down 10 mins direct flame, then move to indirect for ~20 mins, then fat side down direct flame then move to indirect until rare temp in the middle. 

Pull and let rest 5-10 mins to get to med-rare. Ends will be more done, such is the nature of tritip. :)  

1 gal freezer bag

1/3-1/2 bottle purple label, 3-4 Tbsp black pepper (fresh coarse ground best), 1/2 C bourbon (f you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it) 

marinate 24 hours, grill. I usually go lean side down 10 mins direct flame, then move to indirect for ~20 mins, then fat side down direct flame then move to indirect until rare temp in the middle. 

Pull and let rest 5-10 mins to get to med-rare. Ends will be more done, such is the nature of tritip. :)  
Just ordered a bottle of purple, black and green.  Will make the red beans/rice dish one of these cooler fall weekends.  Interested to try the salmon recipe as well.  I generally blacken mine using a rub I created, but yours looks really good.  

But up first, the tri-tip with the bourbon.  :wub:

Hey dude, I'm heavily into my cooking, been perfecting chilli over many years, do a lot of tex mex cooking and also have a Webber Smokey Mountain that I've been doing low and slow smoking with for about 5 years. 

In Glasgow there's even a Mexican deli that does a whole range of Mexican and US products and a a vast quantity of hot sauces. I'm one of their best customers and I actually  reckon they'd also love to get their hands on some 

Im gonna guess that delivering to Scotland would either be out of the question or very expensive infortunately. 

They all sound interesting. I like the sound of the Thai one with pineapple. 

Hey dude, I'm heavily into my cooking, been perfecting chilli over many years, do a lot of tex mex cooking and also have a Webber Smokey Mountain that I've been doing low and slow smoking with for about 5 years. 

In Glasgow there's even a Mexican deli that does a whole range of Mexican and US products and a a vast quantity of hot sauces. I'm one of their best customers and I actually  reckon they'd also love to get their hands on some 

Im gonna guess that delivering to Scotland would either be out of the question or very expensive infortunately. 

You got a chili recipe a bloke from Oregon could peek at?

Rhythmdoctor said:
This is why I'm excited. I don't mind heat but it's the flavor that is important.  

I make a very basic hot sauce for chicken (wings or breast sandwiches) that tastes awesome and is simply this - Frank's Red Hot (original), butter, brown sugar and cayenne for added heat.  The flavor is awesome, it's a mild heat.  I'm sure Hot Sauce Guy is better at this than I am.
When I do wings I make a sauce with Franks, butter, can of Chipotle in adobo sauce and some honey. It's absolutely delicious 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
1 gal freezer bag

Damn now I wish I had bought a bottle of the purple label!! That sounds amazing..... 

When I do wings I make a sauce with Franks, butter, can of Chipotle in adobo sauce and some honey. It's absolutely delicious 
You could do that with any of my sauces. Skip the chipotles. If you want chipotle wings just get Brown Label. First place for chipotle in Texas this year.  :)  

Are usually improv my chili batch to batch… I can post a basic crockpot recipe when I have a chance after we're set up  at the festival.   It doesn't call for my hot sauces an ingredient, but I would definitely use one of my sources as a finishing sauce  along with the cheese and sour cream. 

I've been buying these sauces since the first batch, before he went all big time, and can attest that they are all fantastic.  I still have a particular fondness for the green, but you can't go wrong. :thumbup:

I'll get on that next week I don't have one written down right now. I recently completely mentally/figuratively ripped my old chilli recipe up and started again to try and perfect a different type/style of one. It's all up here in the head and not written down anywhere. 

Some thoughts though ...

could never decide between mince/ground beef or chunks. Recently I decided my favourite process is to buy beef chunks and roughly chop them up into very small half inch pieces. Pain in the ### but worth it.

Small trick I have is that I put two dates into the chilli as it's cooking. Prunes would do as well. I find they add this amazing sheen to the sauce, it kind of shimmers off my kitchen lights. 

Some of my sauces are available through Hot-Headz in England.  I'm not sure what, if any, they have left, but it's worth checking with them to ask. They may be ready to place another order so if more people hit them up and ask for my products, they'd be more likely to bring them over. 

If not, Heat hot sauce shop  has pretty fair rates for international shipping for a four or five bottle order and they carry all 10 of my sauces. :)  

I've been buying these sauces since the first batch, before he went all big time, and can attest that they are all fantastic.  I still have a particular fondness for the green, but you can't go wrong. :thumbup:
Krista!!!  :wub:

Hilarious… I only see you on Facebook these days. :lol:  

Krista!!!  :wub:

Hilarious… I only see you on Facebook these days. :lol:  
I know; it's funny that I think of you and some of the others as my friends from there at this point!

Congrats on your continued success.  You're actually living the dream. :heart:  

I'll get on that next week I don't have one written down right now. I recently completely mentally/figuratively ripped my old chilli recipe up and started again to try and perfect a different type/style of one. It's all up here in the head and not written down anywhere. 

Some thoughts though ...

could never decide between mince/ground beef or chunks. Recently I decided my favourite process is to buy beef chunks and roughly chop them up into very small half inch pieces. Pain in the ### but worth it.

Small trick I have is that I put two dates into the chilli as it's cooking. Prunes would do as well. I find they add this amazing sheen to the sauce, it kind of shimmers off my kitchen lights. 
I've been using the same chili recipe for a while, but I always like looking at new angles.  I like the thought of dates/prunes for a new layer.  Was a devoted Dr. Pepper drinker when I used to drink soda and while it's generally disputed, always thought that 'prune juice' was the top secret to Dr. Pepper's unique flavor.  If you think of it, send a PM if you ever jot your recipe down. :thumbup:

Take me to brown town!  Love me a mustardy sauce.  Also just placed me an order. Green and Brown. Feels like I'm on the set of Reservoir Dogs making my picks.

FBGCav will be happy to know that I DM'd Hot Sauce Guy yesterday asking for the link.

Must have missed the back and forth between Cav and this guy but whatever, glad its here as I would have never known about the sauces before.  Pretty excited to get my package and start cooking.

Ok; so the last time I made chilli con carne (3-4 weeks ago) I did the following:

1 medium white onion 

2-3 Serrano peppers

1 habanero pepper

1 Anaheim pepper 

1 Pasilla pepper

1 can fire-roasted tomatoes (or fire-roast 2-3 lg tomatoes

1/2 C New Mexico ground red chili powder 

1 whole dried meco chipotle (optional - can sub dried morita chipotle which is more common but sweeter)

1x 2 lb pork butt

1x 2 lb beef bottom round

1 bottle of porter

1 Tbsp salt 

1/4 tsp black pepper

water

6-8 garlic cloves 

3 Tbsp ground cumin 

shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green onion & sour cream for garnish 

----------------------------------

Dice all fresh peppers & garlic cloves and either set aside, or (as I do) fire-roast them using sauté BBQ baskets/vented pans until peppers blister with just the slightest char. Stir every 2-3 mins until peppers are evenly fire-roasted but not cooked through. 

-------------------------------

In a large crock pot (slow cooker) place pork shoulder & beef bottom round, pour in the porter, salt, & black pepper, and enough water to cover, leaving room for juices to cook out.

Cook low and slow for ~5 hours. 

Drain all liquid, leaving meat intact (if some fat falls off, that's ok - let it. 

---------------------------------

Pour in the fire-roasted tomatoes, then dried ingredients, then sautéed peppers & onions. Cover & cook another ~2-3 hours on low and stir. Meat should be tender and fall apart in chunks. 

Cook one more hour and serve with shredded cheddar, sour cream & your choice of hot sauce drizzled on top. 

I change my recipe every time, but that's about what I did last time and it was awesome. 

Ps - don't ask me about beans. This is a chili con carne recipe. ;)  

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you use chile pequins (or chiltepins, I'm not sure if they are one in the same) in any of your sauces? I love these little peppers. I miss those rare days when I could grab them fresh at HEB Central Market.

Ordered a El Perro Afortunado 3 pack, but not sure my note for a Orange and Red Label to complete the 3-pack made it through. 

Order #3868

Love me some hot sauce.  Always looking for something new to try other than the typical franks, sriracha, tapatio, cholula rotation we have been kicking for the last 8 months.  Red - Orange - Green order placed.  

Cool thread.  I definitely enjoy hot sauce and will place an order.   I think I'll try the black label for myself because I do like a high heat factor--but I wanted to order something mild for my sister and my mom.  I'm thinking the purple label might be the one for them--but would like @Hot Sauce Guy 's opinion.   Also--was thinking I'd order a couple extra bottles for wild cards just to try.  The brown label and el perro afortunado sound interesting--but would also like to hear Mr hot sauce's opinions on if there is a different one that I should try instead.   Thanks in advance!!

Cool thread.  I definitely enjoy hot sauce and will place an order.   I think I'll try the black label for myself because I do like a high heat factor--but I wanted to order something mild for my sister and my mom.  I'm thinking the purple label might be the one for them--but would like @Hot Sauce Guy 's opinion.   Also--was thinking I'd order a couple extra bottles for wild cards just to try.  The brown label and el perro afortunado sound interesting--but would also like to hear Mr hot sauce's opinions on if there is a different one that I should try instead.   Thanks in advance!!
Purple or Green would be my suggestions for mild. Purple is amazing on meats, Green better for eggs, tacos, pizza.

El Perro Afortunado is more of a classic picante with a bit of layering...can't go wrong with Brown Label as it just won 1st place for Chipotle in TX, and 1st place for pepper blend at NY hot sauce Expo. It's a pretty unique chipotle sauce.

Year of the Dog wouldn't be a bad option either if I were to recommend one other. 

Thanks for the interest! 

Purple or Green would be my suggestions for mild. Purple is amazing on meats, Green better for eggs, tacos, pizza.

El Perro Afortunado is more of a classic picante with a bit of layering...can't go wrong with Brown Label as it just won 1st place for Chipotle in TX, and 1st place for pepper blend at NY hot sauce Expo. It's a pretty unique chipotle sauce.

Year of the Dog wouldn't be a bad option either if I were to recommend one other. 

Thanks for the interest! 
Order placed!! #3872.  They all sounded soo good that I talked myself out of a 3 pack and went for an 8 pack. Lol. Look forward to it!!

I think I am slightly dyslexic.

I kept reading the thread title and thought it was about Lucky Hot Dog Sauce rather than Lucky Dog Hot Sauce,

The posts made no sense given my misreading of the thread title and the fact that I only like mustard on my hot dogs. I couldn't figure out why anyone would want to market or be interested in a special sauce for hot dogs.

:bag:

I think I am slightly dyslexic.

I kept reading the thread title and thought it was about Lucky Hot Dog Sauce rather than Lucky Dog Hot Sauce,

The posts made no sense given my misreading of the thread title and the fact that I only like mustard on my hot dogs. I couldn't figure out why anyone would want to market or be interested in a special sauce for hot dogs.

:bag:
I'm actually chuckling out loud as I type.

@Hot Sauce Guy

My father in law is a big BBQ guy but can't handle too much spice - any recommendations?  Also looking for a gateway sauce for my 4th grader and 8th grader to get addicted.

You may have solved my Christmas shopping needs.

@Hot Sauce Guy

My father in law is a big BBQ guy but can't handle too much spice - any recommendations?  Also looking for a gateway sauce for my 4th grader and 8th grader to get addicted.

You may have solved my Christmas shopping needs.
Green Label & Purple Label are exactly for folks who want flavor without too much heat. Everyone in my business seems to be focused on hotter and hotter, excluding a huge segment of the market that enjoys mild heat with good flavor. 

Red Label would be the next logical step, so if you get some Green or Purple Lane for the chil'rens, would recommend a Red Label as well so they have something to graduate to. It's a nice sweet/heat balance, which kind of tricks the brain into feeling like it's less spicy than it is. 

:)  

Users who are viewing this thread