What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Make fun of your wife's spending habits in here (1 Viewer)

I left this open on the ipad, oops... Caused a little arguing, then some making up, then some laughter about the Toyota for $36k.

My wife has a Friday in early December where she drinks at lunch with friends, then goes on an enormous Christmas shopping spree. For a few years, I tracked it here in real time, hitting refresh on my Bank of America online checking account every 15 minutes or so and posting the latest debits.

Looks like that thread is gone, though...
One of my all time favorites.

I have a love/hate relationship with Target and Amazon...because of my wife.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gamifying our personal finance situation via Mint.com has been one of the best things i've done.

She's already pretty good with money, but my challenge to her has to achieve full miser status like yours truly.

Well, getting her involved in the race to 1MM net worth has really improved the frivolous spending.

The problem will be once we achieve the goal (probably a month away unless the market tanks) I wonder if the gamifying loses value.

Gamifying our personal finance situation via Mint.com has been one of the best things i've done.

She's already pretty good with money, but my challenge to her has to achieve full miser status like yours truly.

Well, getting her involved in the race to 1MM net worth has really improved the frivolous spending.

The problem will be once we achieve the goal (probably a month away unless the market tanks) I wonder if the gamifying loses value.
Look at me I'm a millionaire!!! j/k

Bank of America does a similar thing with their "Portfolio" in online banking.

Normally, my wife is thrifty but we just had a $14k range delivered this am and she's talking about replacing our fridge/freezer for ~$13k and our dishwasher for ~$4k.
How the hell is a fridge worth 13K?
:shrug:

Matching Subzero 36" fridge and 36" freezer. ~$6500 each. What are you going to do?
Sweet. What range did you get - - - the 60" dual fuel?
48" df with a griddle
I just got wood.

Congrats on twins :confetti:

Oh yea, CHET, Go #### yourself! Forgot about that part of our conversation...

Wife: Chet's wife bought a $13k fridge, he isn't complaining

Me: Chet has more money than we do

Wife :confused: I don't believe you

Me: :doh:

My wife has a Friday in early December where she drinks at lunch with friends, then goes on an enormous Christmas shopping spree. For a few years, I tracked it here in real time, hitting refresh on my Bank of America online checking account every 15 minutes or so and posting the latest debits.

Looks like that thread is gone, though...
One of my all time favorites.
https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/234636-track-my-wifes-spending-spree/

My wife buys the worst freaking food. Everything is all natural or organic or whole wheat, etc. and it all tastes like crap. So not only do I not even like the food, it costs more. Yay, me.

I want something processed, dangit! :rant:
Your problem is not the food but the cook

Normally, my wife is thrifty but we just had a $14k range delivered this am and she's talking about replacing our fridge/freezer for ~$13k and our dishwasher for ~$4k.
How the hell is a fridge worth 13K?
:shrug:

Matching Subzero 36" fridge and 36" freezer. ~$6500 each. What are you going to do?
Sweet. What range did you get - - - the 60" dual fuel?
48" df with a griddle
I just got wood African Blackwood. (The most expensive wood in the world.)

tonydead said:
Dentist said:

Look at me I'm a millionaire!!! j/k

Bank of America does a similar thing with their "Portfolio" in online banking.
I've used the BoA one, it's good... mint is genuinely better and easier to share with a SO via the app (same log-in for both parties)

A friend of mine works while his wife stays home with their three daughters. He was concerned with how much she had been spending lately so he checked online and discovered she had gone to Target 23 times the previous month.

A friend of mine works while his wife stays home with their three daughters. He was concerned with how much she had been spending lately so he checked online and discovered she had gone to Target 23 times the previous month.
I'm in the same boat, except my wife is currently unemployed and we don't have kids yet.

She just landed a new job and is pregnant, with TWINS!

Target visits are about to double, if that's even possible :shock:

in a row?

I'll get divorced before spending 30k on kitchen appliances. That is absurdly idiotic. Can't think of one legit reason to ever do that.

Good dishwasher about 500. Nice double door fridge, about 1200. NIce stove about 500. Microwave 100.

Not even 2500 for all good stuff that works just the same as what you can get for 30000.

WTF???

I be like "hey babe, we can retire like 5 years earlier if we just buy normal appliances".

I'll get divorced before spending 30k on kitchen appliances. That is absurdly idiotic. Can't think of one legit reason to ever do that.

Good dishwasher about 500. Nice double door fridge, about 1200. NIce stove about 500. Microwave 100.

Not even 2500 for all good stuff that works just the same as what you can get for 30000.

WTF???

I be like "hey babe, we can retire like 5 years earlier if we just buy normal appliances".
When you start making Chet bank get back to me on this. I think he paid for it with the change he found in the couch.

If I won 500 million dollars, i cant fathom spending 30k on appliances. Not joking in the least.

I would rather buy 10 grand worth of good stuff and give 20 grand to help injured dogs or some ####.

I would simply feel stupid buying those, no matter my bankroll.

Given my current "normal" financial situation, it would be the most irresponsible thing ever

Oh, and target 23 times in a month is crazy. I can not beat that story regarding anything my wife does. Winner winner target dinner.

in a row?
As in 23 days in a row? No. But there were a few days she went twice.

When he asked her what she was buying that would necitate her going that often her answer was "stuff we need".

in a row?
As in 23 days in a row? No. But there were a few days she went twice.

When he asked her what she was buying that would necitate her going that often her answer was "stuff we need".
She's obviously bored. Get her a job or a lover with time during the day

My wife doesn't shop. She doesn't like to.

21 years married and I have done the food shopping and for the most part all the cooking.

I buy probably 90% of the gifts for our girls and family members for holidays/birthdays. The draw back is she

doesn't know how to shop for me as well. She tends to get things that she "thinks" I would like vs. what I want.

I buy her everything she wants regardless of the price (just bought her a $1,500 camera last week), but she often will be that person

out on Christmas Eve looking for things for me. I have wanted a 1986 Fleer Jordan Rookie card since we started dating 25 years ago and

to this day I don't have one. Every holiday/birthday I keep hoping and it never happens. :kicksrock:

However, if this is the biggest thing I can complain about after being together this long, I consider myself pretty lucky.

My wife is great. She has a salary comparable to your typical FBG but is so cheap. She rarely spends money on shoes/clothes/purses/etc and almost always packs her lunch for work. She's vegetarian and a fairly light drinker so on the rare occasion when we go out for a date (we have a 9 month old), the bill is pretty low. I'm depressed reading about some of your stories.

WTF???

Your life must suck.

I'm in the same boat, except my wife is currently unemployed and we don't have kids yet.

Congrats 2x, well really 3x, one for your wife landing a job.

WTF???

So why would anyone ever buy a Porsche, Audi, Jag, Mercedes, etc. when they could get a Nissan Versa for $13K? They all do the same thing, right?

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a buddy who lives in a resort area and he was telling me about all the $15M and $20M vacation homes. I told him I could never imagine spending that on a house and he said "Yeah, but when you're 60 years old with $300M in the bank, what are you going to do with it all?"

And, keep in mind, many homes in the $500K and up range are expected to have high-end appliances, or they're not as marketable.

My other favorite the mountain of returns she has and complains about.

I don't know how much #### she has that she buys, ends up not liking then has to return. This always leads to an "argument" when I buy something she deems wasteful and I say something like once you return all that crap we'll have plenty of money.
My wife dos this too, but I treat it as a blessing. Whenever she comes home from shopping, I know 40% of it will be going back.

WTF???

So why would anyone ever buy a Porsche, Audi, Jag, Mercedes, etc. when they could get a Nissan Versa for $13K? They all do the same thing, right?This reminds me of a conversation I had with a buddy who lives in a resort area and he was telling me about all the $15M and $20M vacation homes. I told him I could never imagine spending that on a house and he said "Yeah, but when you're 60 years old with $300M in the bank, what are you going to do with it all?"

And, keep in mind, many homes in the $500K and up range are expected to have high-end appliances, or they're not as marketable.
Such crap. We live in a new $550k home and our appliances (kitchen only) were about $7,500. Ours are appropriate for the style/budget of our house. Most comparable new homes have similar appliances.

Woke up this morning around 645am, my son is sleeping next to me and my wife is intently staring at her phone... I wipe my eyes and grab my phone to check emails. 

I have about 34 from American Express alerting me to large purchases and online purchases - now I'm fully awake... I look over at my wife and ask what she is doing.

"I'm cleaning out every store within 50 miles of hatchimal surprises!" She says this happily like she is some sort of genius. 

Me: Huh?

Her: It's the hot toy this year, they were released today, they're already sold out at Toys R Us!!

Me: How much money have you spent? 

Her: I've got about 110 of the hatchimal surprises, some other toys, these finger monkeys

Me: (Interrupting her) ####! Give me a ####### number

Her: About $9k

Looks like the FC's are going into the toy business.

Woke up this morning around 645am, my son is sleeping next to me and my wife is intently staring at her phone... I wipe the my eyes and grab my phone to check emails. 

I have about 34 from American Express alerting me to large purchases and online purchases - now I'm fully awake... I look over at my wife and ask what she is doing.

"I'm cleaning out every store within 50 miles of hatchimal surprises!" She says this happily like she is some sort of genius. 

Her: It's the hot toy this year, they were released today, they're already sold out at Toys R Us!!

Her: I've got about 110 of the hatchimal surprises, some other toys, these finger monkeys

Ill buy one from you at 25% of the listed sales price in January 

Disclaimer:  This is not a legally binding agreement to buy said hatchimal

P.S imagine if she'd just bought $9K in Bitcoin and sat on it until Xmas 

I'm normally ok with this idea but isn't October 6th a little early to do this - can't they produce more?
I would assume so, this isn't my operation.

Ill buy one from you at 25% of the listed sales price in January 

Disclaimer:  This is not a legally binding agreement to buy said hatchimal

P.S imagine if she'd just bought $9K in Bitcoin and sat on it until Xmas 
I had to spend my first 30 minutes in the office today reading fine print on return policies for different retailers, luckily it looks like I can give most of these stores back this #### within 90 days. 

Re Bitcoin: I had an interesting thesis about consumer/government debt I posted in the Stock Thread - not that I'm sold on it, but opinion shifting a little. 

Woke up this morning around 645am, my son is sleeping next to me and my wife is intently staring at her phone... I wipe the my eyes and grab my phone to check emails. 

You could probably use that money owed to you by what's his name at this point, huh?

My wife buys a lot of children's clothing and shoes (we do have 5 kids).

She buys them on sale and gets more when she sells the clothing than she paid. 

That's all I got, see really doesn't spend money much and I own more shoes than she does.

brohans for 30k you could probably buy my house and i only wish i was joking jeez louise how you say in englisho i am el broke take that to the bank bromigos 

I came in here to commiserate, and totally forgot I had already posted 2.5 years ago  :lmao:

The spending habits and Target visits have gotten much better. I think she finally started to understand the situation, especially once the twins were born. We also just moved into a new house where the closest Target is about 20 minutes away - it's the same Target we used to live less than 5 minutes from. However....she does work right down the road from a different store. It's a good thing it's not directly on her route to or from work though. Oh yeah, she got a new job shortly after I posted previously. Part-time, doing what she loves, on a schedule that works for the whole family. She doesn't make much in her field (child mental health counseling), but it's enough where it definitely makes a difference.

I'd still like her to be much, much better as far as understanding our finances. She has the banking app right on her phone, and just refuses to ever check it. She gets an email every morning with her available balance (I set that up as a joint checking account was absolutely not going to happen) but it's often not completely accurate. I have an Excel file that I use to keep track of bills and the checking account I use to pay them. Every once in a while I'll go through it with her and she'll remember that I'm not a millionaire, haha.

One thing I still don't understand - WHY DO WE NEED SO MANY F***KING PILLOWS!?!?!?

Oh, and they all really need to stop buying clothes online. I swear she returns at least 1/2 of it because "it doesn't fit right" or "looks stupid on me" or "not how the color looks on the website"

Users who are viewing this thread