What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Mass Casualty Event" in Las Vegas (3 Viewers)

So I have seen many of the videos where you can see Mandalay Bay, and hear the shooting, but I don't know how they pinpointed the room.   I couldn't see any fire from a window.     Oh, NVM the smoke alarm went off. 

We live in the greatest and safest time to ever live on earth and yet we still have animals like this guy paddock

My clock radio alarm goes off this morning,  and I hear an already in progress  news conference on this.  What a way to wake up.  I just want to go back to sleep and wake up in a world where this didn't happen.

My clock radio alarm goes off this morning,  and I hear an already in progress  news conference on this.  What a way to wake up.  I just want to go back to sleep and wake up in a world where this didn't happen.
Agreed, turned on the tv what a sad start of the week

Damn it.  I am so sick of these shootings.   This guy had to be mentally unstable to do something like this.  Did they get the woman he was supposedly with yet?

ETA:  I see that they did locate the woman.  It should be enlightening to hear her story

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm numb this morning.  This was 15 minutes from my home.  I think I slept 30 minutes.  I was getting updates from a lady that works for me - her kid is a cop that is stationed on the strip and he was giving her updates.  I heard 20 had died when the media was saying it was only 2.  And now 50 (probably a little higher).

My friend was at that concert, but she made it out ok.

I don't know if I am in shock or jaded to these events now.  Either way, I don't feel right...

Absolutely insane 
But but but....2nd AMENDMENT!!!!! :loco:

4+ years ago, a lunatic drove to a school and shot up a classroom full of first graders. Nothing changed. Any nut can walk into a weekend gun show, flash their drivers license and some dude named Rusty sitting at a folding table will sell them an M4.

Sadly, this  tragic event wont change anything either. Its pure lunacy.

Guns have been around a long time but it seems like these types of events are getting more regular.  The results of our 24/7 news cycle and always on world I suppose.

Really nothing can be done about this type of act.

Horrible.  T&Ps to all those killed and injured. 

Guns have been around a long time but it seems like these types of events are getting more regular.  The results of our 24/7 news cycle and always on world I suppose.

I'm sure more can be done that might prevent some shootings but I do agree that if someone is hell-bent on causing violence on innocent people they are going to find a way. Unfortunately this is the price you sometimes have to pay to live in a free society.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't know if that's true. Maybe, ultimately it is, but at least this morning I'm certainly open to suggestions.

I don't know if that's true. Maybe, ultimately it is, but at least this morning I'm certainly open to suggestions.
What could have been done?  Checkpoints and vehicle searches for all cars going into the city?  Metal detectors for all buildings?  

Other than making guns less easy to obtain (which doesn't matter anymore there are so many out there) nothing can be done.  

What could have been done?  Checkpoints and vehicle searches for all cars going into the city?  Metal detectors for all buildings?  

Other than making guns less easy to obtain (which doesn't matter anymore there are so many out there) nothing can be done.  
I don't know James. That's why I wrote I was open to suggestions.

And maybe there should be metal detectors at hotels, shopping centers, where ever there is the potential of large numbers of people gathered. Maybe we need to go there.

If the reported numbers are true, this is the largest (numbers wise) mass shooting in the history of the United States.  

I know it's unrealistic, but I don't even want information released about the shooter.  Terrorists should have their names disappear into history forever. 
We should even refrain from comment, it seems, except to remember the victims. 

I'm sick this morning.  

And maybe there should be metal detectors at hotels, shopping centers, where ever there is the potential of large numbers of people gathered. Maybe we need to go there.
I don't t know how practical it is but you could have all luggage and large packages coming into Las Vegas high rise hotels scanned through an x-ray

I don't t know how practical it is but you could have all luggage and large packages coming into Las Vegas high rise hotels scanned through an x-ray
Which may prevent this exact type of event. But there are hundreds of cities with thousands of high rises where crowds gather. And there are literally thousands of other types of scenarios where people gather. 

We always (rightly) rush to try to prevent what just happened from happening again. We can't prevent what will happen however. 

They have metal detectors at stadiums, arenas, etc. We don’t even know how he got all that #### into a hotel and we’re going down this path. Rumors of the mistress working at Mandalay. If that’s the case what does that do for Joe Schmo do right? Nothing. It should be up to the building owners to make security decisions. How many millions lost do you think Mandalay Bay will suffer from last night? Think they won’t change security protocols? How many times does the FAA fail? Should that be the route we go down until we’re doing it to get into our cars in the morning?

Reality is that it's not 100% practical.  The innocent people get pulled further and further away from normalcy while the psycho will still find a way of doing what they want. The next one could get a job in hotel housekeeping and smuggle the guns up though the laundry bins. Idk.  

But i I don't want to make this about innocents. Today is about mourning the unfortunate victims.  

CNN reporting the guy had no prior criminal record--so no background check would have pulled this guy.

With that distance to target, I was thinking a long gun such as a deer hunting rifle but watching the videos, this sure sounds like a semi-auto gun--just non stop gun shots

Just terrible 

For most people with mental illness in our country, their very fist interaction with the state is through the police due to a criminal event.  I saw the chief of police for my city speaking recently, and he said the majority of the work his guys do, more than anything else, is dealing with mental illness in our community. 

This sick #### thought this one up and just gave terrorist worldwide a blueprint. He got off 10 minutes of automatic weapons fire. If he would have picked the downtown Golden Nugget hotel during one of the outdoor concerts there, he could have wiped out hundreds. The outdoor concert area is right below it.

CNN reporting the guy had no prior criminal record--so no background check would have pulled this guy.

With that distance to target, I was thinking a long gun such as a deer hunting rifle but watching the videos, this sure sounds like a semi-auto gun--just non stop gun shots

Just terrible 
Sounded altered to fully automatic.

Guy apparently had zero priors. People aren't going to stop assembling in large groups for events. And we can't snap our fingers and make all guns automatically disappear (with perhaps more than half of the population not wanting this even if it were an option). 

Don't see any way this is plausibly prevented. 

But but but....2nd AMENDMENT!!!!! :loco:

4+ years ago, a lunatic drove to a school and shot up a classroom full of first graders. Nothing changed. Any nut can walk into a weekend gun show, flash their drivers license and some dude named Rusty sitting at a folding table will sell them an M4.

Sadly, this  tragic event wont change anything either. Its pure lunacy.

So in your mind taking away the right to own guns would have prevented this?  Damn I really hate gun grabbers when they try to use these incidents as agenda firebrands.  Just disgusting.

Users who are viewing this thread