What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Mass Casualty Event" in Las Vegas (1 Viewer)

So that colleague I mentioned that got shot? Just talked to him for about 15 minutes. Unbelieavable story. Maniac still covered his hearings today. With a gunshot wound. 
holy hell... missed this post. that's insane.

looking forward to hearing more stories about this...

Submachine guns, which they are suspecting is what was used and what is heard in the videos being posted everywhere, and other fully automatic weapons cannot be purchased legally by civilians.

From that nbcnews link posted above:
CNN main page says guns seem to have been legally purchased. I'm sure 50% of the info is inaccurate at this point but it has been reported. Also there is speculation among sites as to what kind of rifles were used. Lots of speculation at this point.

Is it possible that he shot the other window out but never actually used it as a shooting location?

it's tough to tell but it seems the angle of that far left window is facing away from the concert venue. Maybe he intended to uses it while people were fleeing or some other reason, just never happened? 

regardless, the ###hole did enough damage regardless of how many windows shot out. 

Don't lose faith SB. It's a very small percentage of bad that overshadows the mountain of good that is in this world. This is something the media fails at. Not enough coverage of good things in this world. It just doesn't sell newspapers.
Sure but 273rd mass shooting in the US this year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So does the public thru any media (mainstream or social) actually have any access yet to these CCTVs of him walking the stuff into his room? Or are we just accepting the word of police/FBI without demanding the proof ourselves?

Is it possible that he shot the other window out but never actually used it as a shooting location?

it's tough to tell but it seems the angle of that far left window is facing away from the concert venue. Maybe he intended to uses it while people were fleeing or some other reason, just never happened? 

regardless, the ###hole did enough damage regardless of how many windows shot out. 
I believe they found people shot outside the venue to.

The only thing I find numbing right now is the comments from police that nothing seems out of the ordinary for this shooter, except of course for the roughly 20 weapons in his house and at the hotel.

So, an arsenal of semi & automatic weapons is no longer out of the ordinary? 
I think this is looking for something to nitpick about. Of course he has an arsenal of weapons. He just fired thousands of rounds into a crowd from multiple stations. He also had a ton of ammo too. Pretty sure the guy is talking about the complete lack(at least so far) of political rantings, that he wasn't disconnected from society, that he didnt leave a bunch of clues, that he doesnt appear to have a record, diagnosed mental illness, etc etc. Not things that are obvious pieces of evidence right now. 

Unless you have seen a report that shows authorities already had documented in advance that the guy had a cache of weapons, your point makes no sense. 

Not that I want to get into a detailed debate on Nevada gun law but there is a Newsweek article that is pretty shocking.  No licenses required, no registration of weapons, automatic rifles and machine guns legal as long as adhereing to federal law. No law against the transfer or sale of assault weapons, 50 cal weapons or large capacity ammo mags. Background checks just passed into law last year.

Not sure if that is all accurate but it's insane.

Been waiting to post something.   My sister lives in Vegas was at the Mandalay Bay.  Not at the concert but gambling.  That is her regular spot.   I just talking to her and she said it was a scene of total chaos as nobody inside knew what was going on at first.  Then police were rushing in and people started running out thinking maybe a bomb went off and not knowing there was a mass shooting outside.   When she got outside she said she thought for sure a bomb had gone off seeing all the people wounded and then running. One of her friends is a dealer there told her that when people realized something bad was going on  some  were grabbing chips off tables and buckets of chips from slot players  and running outside.
Either worded wrong or completely bogus. They haven't used buckets for coins for slot players for years except the back slots at El Cortez downtown.

Over 10k people died because of drunk driving in 2015 and 2016. 
That has nothing to do with gun violence and even though 2015/16 were very bad years for alcohol auto fatalities, the numbers are still down from the 70s and 80s when 15-20k died every year from drunk drivers. 

I know none of this is really relevant to the guy questioning whether there actually rooms this "big" that would have 2 windows spaced that far apart, but...

my dad's gb (from my previous post) never paid for a thing. even my dad didn't have to pay for a thing when he went to vegas- just because of his association with his gb.

but again- irrelevant to these things existing and that the spacing of the windows adds to some kind of idiotic theory that this guy wasn't alone. they exist. and are often on the higher floors.
I got a corner room at the Wynn a few weeks back (have no idea why it wasn’t anmore expensive) but it had two windows similar with different viewing angles. 

I think it could be as simple as that but even if it was the president suite I don’t think this guy was worried about paying the credit card bill.

Not that I want to get into a detailed debate on Nevada gun law but there is a Newsweek article that is pretty shocking.  No licenses required, no registration of weapons, automatic rifles and machine guns legal as long as adhereing to federal law. No law against the transfer or sale of assault weapons, 50 cal weapons or large capacity ammo mags. Background checks just passed into law last year.

Not sure if that is all accurate but it's insane.
I'll go in to it later as well, but mesquite is a very pro-gun area and these laws are consistent with my understanding of Nevada gun laws. The fact that a mid 60s white man living in mesquite had essentially an arsenal doesn't surprise me one bit. 

I got a corner room at the Wynn a few weeks back (have no idea why it wasn’t anmore expensive) but it had two windows similar with different viewing angles. 

I think it could be as simple as that but even if it was the president suite I don’t think this guy was worried about paying the credit card bill.
I've had the identical corner room at mandalay before. Not much more than a regular room. 

This news destroys my soul. I will never understand how a species that can create such beautiful wonder, that can love, support and sacrifice for those it doesn't even know, is capable of such horrific things. All of my love to those of you personally effected. 
I don't know if folks are watching the Vietnam doc on PBS but I thought this was a powerful clip that touches on this a bit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoWUwFv1-cU

I'll go in to it later as well, but mesquite is a very pro-gun area and these laws are consistent with my understanding of Nevada gun laws. The fact that a mid 60s white man living in mesquite had essentially an arsenal doesn't surprise me one bit. 
Agreed. My uncle is a retired cop and his wife shoots as well. Michigan is pretty pro-gun and he's got quite an arsenal as well.

This news destroys my soul. I will never understand how a species that can create such beautiful wonder, that can love, support and sacrifice for those it doesn't even know, is capable of such horrific things. All of my love to those of you personally effected. 
Hang in there SB. By and large, the vast majority are on the positive side. Although humankind is obviously capable of incredible and heinous evil. And has been for a long time. Don't let it shake your faith in the good. 

Will try to find time later today to lay it out. Unfortunately I'm pretty swamped today. 
now worries, woz... I'm sure you- and especially he- have better things to do. I look forward to it- when you both get a chance. glad he's ok and back up to speed.

That has nothing to do with gun violence and even though 2015/16 were very bad years for alcohol auto fatalities, the numbers are still down from the 70s and 80s when 15-20k died every year from drunk drivers. 
diminished numbers, because we as a country pushed for change. seat-belt laws, tighter dwi laws, etc. hopefully we'll do something similar here eventually.

Not all sites track this data the same way. Searching around this morning, this seemed pretty informative. No idea if it's biased one way or another. https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/mass-shootings-in-america/
The number of mass shootings in this article makes a lot more sense to me than the other number site. IMO, including gang shootings, killings involving only family members and shootings that begin as other crimes (ie robberies) doesn't make much sense. So eliminating those makes sense in the context of what I think the average person is concerned about when talking about mass shootings.

diminished numbers, because we as a country pushed for change. seat-belt laws, tighter dwi laws, etc. hopefully we'll do something similar here eventually.
Driverless cars will correct this problem.   What will correct the gun violence one?   I have no idea but the statue quo seems to be failing miserably. 

I think this is looking for something to nitpick about. Of course he has an arsenal of weapons. He just fired thousands of rounds into a crowd from multiple stations. He also had a ton of ammo too. Pretty sure the guy is talking about the complete lack(at least so far) of political rantings, that he wasn't disconnected from society, that he didnt leave a bunch of clues, that he doesnt appear to have a record, diagnosed mental illness, etc etc. Not things that are obvious pieces of evidence right now. 

Unless you have seen a report that shows authorities already had documented in advance that the guy had a cache of weapons, your point makes no sense. 
i guess my point is that the amount of weapons is not out of the ordinary.  i don't come from a gun culture, but i can understand someone having a gun or two.  to me, someone with upwards of maybe 20 long rifles is a bit askew.

GroveDiesel said:
The number of mass shootings in this article makes a lot more sense to me than the other number site. IMO, including gang shootings, killings involving only family members and shootings that begin as other crimes (ie robberies) doesn't make much sense. So eliminating those makes sense in the context of what I think the average person is concerned about when talking about mass shootings.
Why?  It doesn't matter if a few gang members get in a gun fight and end up killing each other and maybe bystander or if it is robbery gone wrong and four people are killed?  Isn't it all the same that to many people are dieing from gun violence.

I really don't think we will ever have a clear answer or even a good discussion about gun violence.    No one is taking it seriously.   Hell if someone can go into a school and shoot the most innocent of American citizens than nothing is ever going to change.   

Why?  It doesn't matter if a few gang members get in a gun fight and end up killing each other and maybe bystander or if it is robbery gone wrong and four people are killed?  Isn't it all the same that to many people are dieing from gun violence.
Yeah, I don't get leaving any out and inserting subjectivity into it. Some deranged guy shoots his wife and 3 kids. That's not a mass shooting because they are all related?

Hell if someone can go into a school and shoot the most innocent of American citizens than nothing is ever going to change.   
Yup, if nothing changed after Sandy Hook, I don't know what it would take for there to be a change now. It's sad. I think a lot of people are just numb to it now.

Yeah, I don't get leaving any out and inserting subjectivity into it. Some deranged guy shoots his wife and 3 kids. That's not a mass shooting because they are all related?
I suppose it's a fundamental difference in how to view the issue. Lots of people see a gun problem, and that's certainly valid and there is no question that guns make it easier to kill more people at a time. 

Others see the root problem more as a culture and general violence problem.

Personally, I think that solving the root problems is more important and would provide more long-term benefits than solving the gun issue. And when we talk root problems, the motivation and reasoning for why gang violence vs. domestic disputes vs. crime-related shootings are all slightly different and need to be understood and addressed as such.

In my mind, simply looking at the guns portion while ignoring the festering cultural issue is like taking Tylenol for a horrible recurring headache while neglecting to do anything about the tumor in the head causing the headaches.

I suppose it's a fundamental difference in how to view the issue. Lots of people see a gun problem, and that's certainly valid and there is no question that guns make it easier to kill more people at a time. 

Others see the root problem more as a culture and general violence problem.

Personally, I think that solving the root problems is more important and would provide more long-term benefits than solving the gun issue. And when we talk root problems, the motivation and reasoning for why gang violence vs. domestic disputes vs. crime-related shootings are all slightly different and need to be understood and addressed as such.

In my mind, simply looking at the guns portion while ignoring the festering cultural issue is like taking Tylenol for a horrible recurring headache while neglecting to do anything about the tumor in the head causing the headaches.
eets naht uh toomah.

Joe Bryant said:
Hang in there SB. By and large, the vast majority are on the positive side. Although humankind is obviously capable of incredible and heinous evil. And has been for a long time. Don't let it shake your faith in the good. 
Thanks Joe.  You of course are correct and it's something that I have been fortunate enough to experience through a large cross section and sample size all over the world.  Then there are the many friends I have made because of this forum and something I'll always be grateful for and you should be proud of. Thank you.  Life is hard enough and it really shakes me when these things keep happening.  I promise I will move forward to do the best I can for our brothers and sisters. 

what can be done to stop the media from replaying the scene of the shooting?

####. we get it. some loon shot down a bunch of innocent people. there's no need to replay it every 3 seconds. it's everywhere. no matter what station you turn on. no matter who is talking. there, in the background, people running for their lives over the clatter of automatic rifle fire.

just ####### stop already

report on it, yes. interview officials and witnesses, fine. continually show people being massacred... why?

Users who are viewing this thread