What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mass shooting in chicago (1 Viewer)

I didn’t make anything up. I didn’t lie. 
Sunday mornings, I like to listen to either Meet The Press or Fox News Sunday while I’m on the treadmill. It’s kind of a ritual for me. I like both Wallace and Todd so I tend to alternate. I don’t watch; I listen on Tune In radio. 
This was about a week and a half ago. I was positive that I was listening to Fox but now you have me questioning my memory- perhaps it was Chuck Todd. So now you can feel free to research Meet the Press as well. If nothing comes up there then I don’t know what to tell you. I don’t appreciate being called a liar and I stand by what I wrote about the New York Times . 

You sure you were on the treadmill? Cuz this is one pitiful backpedal.

Last week I pointed out that it was the New York Times that exposed the stories about Governor Cuomo, both the nursing home scandal and the sexual accusations. Why would they do this if they had an agenda to protect liberals? I got no almost no response from the usual suspects in this forum; a few offered that “well, they covered it up for a long time until they finally had to report it!” offering no evidence whatsoever to back up this charge- because they NEVER have evidence. Only anecdotal questions as to why this story was reported vs this other one, such as this thread. Questions which almost always have answers that do NOT involve liberal bias. 
It’s very frustrating. There appears to be no way to convince thoughtful conservatives that this whole liberal bias thing is a fantasy. They seem to need to believe this, against all evidence. It’s become a matter of faith IMO. 
Just quoting this post in case it isnt already so that you cant delete the bold as you now move the goalposts. 

I didn’t make anything up. I didn’t lie. 
Sunday mornings, I like to listen to either Meet The Press or Fox News Sunday while I’m on the treadmill. It’s kind of a ritual for me. I like both Wallace and Todd so I tend to alternate. I don’t watch; I listen on Tune In radio. 
This was about a week and a half ago. I was positive that I was listening to Fox but now you have me questioning my memory- perhaps it was Chuck Todd. So now you can feel free to research Meet the Press as well. If nothing comes up there then I don’t know what to tell you. I don’t appreciate being called a liar and I stand by what I wrote about the New York Times . 

You make something up in your head, then instead af taking a few minutes to source it you decide to take even longer explaining to us your morning routine that has zero to do with anything.  You have serious issues.  

Last edited by a moderator:
You make something up in your head, then instead af taking a few minutes to source it you decide to take even longer explaining to us your morning routine that has zero to do with anything.  You have serious issues.  
OK. 
Are you still encouraging people not to wear masks? 

He evidently had a sex addiction thing.  So it was more hating women and not a race thing.  

Still horrible and my prayers go to the family of those ladies.
I don’t really buy it. There are strip clubs in the area, if it’s all about removing the temptation, that seems like a better target. Assuming that every Asian massage parlor is a rub and tug is  inherently racist as well.

Random shootings at businesses is terrifying and terrifying gets rating.  It's not surprising
This should absolutely be a huge story. When most people point out that this is getting a ton of coverage, I dont think they are trying to argue that it shouldnt get huge coverage. 

I don’t really buy it. There are strip clubs in the area, if it’s all about removing the temptation, that seems like a better target. Assuming that every Asian massage parlor is a rub and tug is  inherently racist as well.
If you frequented them you might have a good idea that they are in fact a rub and tug. Sheriffs at least floated he may have frequented them, but didnt confirm.

If you frequented them you might have a good idea that they are in fact a rub and tug. Sheriffs at least floated he may have frequented them, but didnt confirm.
Yeah he also expressed the he ‘had a bad day’. Who knows, I should have stayed away from speculation. My wife is Indonesian and has experienced discrimination, so these shootings and rise in Asian hate crimes hit close to home.

The brief coverage I saw late last night showed a strip club in the background, so these "spas" either included strip clubs or included a "spa" right next door to a strip club. 

I'm not sure who is assuming every massage parlor is a rub and tug, but, every single news outlet is reporting that he may have had a sexual addiction and that he frequented these places.  

The brief coverage I saw late last night showed a strip club in the background, so these "spas" either included strip clubs or included a "spa" right next door to a strip club. 

I'm not sure who is assuming every massage parlor is a rub and tug, but, every single news outlet is reporting that he may have had a sexual addiction and that he frequented these places.  
Here is the AJC story on it.  Guessing this guy was a frequent customer, perhaps spurned by one of the women in other type settings.

https://www.ajc.com/news/exclusive-spa-shooting-suspect-bought-gun-hours-before-deadly-spree/FEURWVYBEFBMJP7GLOQ6AQJ27A/

He told authorities he had a sex addiction and wanted to eliminate the temptation. Plus, 2 were white woman and he also shot a Hispanic guy.
OK. I can buy that. 
But it’s certainly antagonized an already fearful Asian community. And they have good reason to be scared. 

What made you think it was a hate crime?
There’s been a lot of hatred against Asians lately, largely thanks to former President Trump’s ignorant and inflammatory rhetoric. So when Asians are attacked that’s the logical first thought that comes to mind. Which it may still well be, I don’t know. I’ll be glad if it’s truly not the case. 

What made you think it was a hate crime?
In addition there has been an increase of over 3800 hate crimes against Asians, mostly women, in the last year. 
So your question really should be: what would make anyone think, upon hearing this news, that it wasn’t a hate crime? 

In addition there has been an increase of over 3800 hate crimes against Asians, mostly women, in the last year. 
So your question really should be: what would make anyone think, upon hearing this news, that it wasn’t a hate crime? 
Have you seriously not paid any attention at all to this story?  It's gotten saturation coverage all day, and 30 seconds of random viewing or reading would tell why the killer's motive is in dispute.

This should go without saying by the way, but if it turns out that the shooter was really going after sex workers, not Asians specifically, that would still be extremely bad and would not make this situation any less tragic.  I can't imagine any of these folks -- the kind that work at the type of establishments involved in this shooting -- have easy or pleasant lives.

There’s been a lot of hatred against Asians lately, largely thanks to former President Trump’s ignorant and inflammatory rhetoric. So when Asians are attacked that’s the logical first thought that comes to mind. Which it may still well be, I don’t know. I’ll be glad if it’s truly not the case. 

Asians were not attacked, brothels were attacked.  What made you think it was Asians that were attacked?

Have you seriously not paid any attention at all to this story?  It's gotten saturation coverage all day, and 30 seconds of random viewing or reading would tell why the killer's motive is in dispute.
I haven’t been following the news in the last 48 hours. So my first post reflects that. It now appears that it was not racially motivated, which actually is a relief of sorts.

I was then asked why I would have thought initially that it was racially motivated, and I answered as honestly as I could. 

Asians were not attacked, brothels were attacked.  What made you think it was Asians that were attacked?
I think I’m getting your point now: forgive me for being a little dense, I often am. You’re trying to point out that the media slanted this story to make it appear as if it was anti-Asian? And thus misrepresented it deliberately?

If that’s your point then I disagree. I think they presented it accurately. 

I think I’m getting your point now: forgive me for being a little dense, I often am. You’re trying to point out that the media slanted this story to make it appear as if it was anti-Asian? And thus misrepresented it deliberately?

If that’s your point then I disagree. I think they presented it accurately. 
I've posted links that show women of all types available.  My proof trumps what the media wants you think.  

Gold Spa

Aroma Therapy Spa

Massages, yeah right.

ETA: Probably NSFW.

This should go without saying by the way, but if it turns out that the shooter was really going after sex workers, not Asians specifically, that would still be extremely bad and would not make this situation any less tragic.  I can't imagine any of these folks -- the kind that work at the type of establishments involved in this shooting -- have easy or pleasant lives.
A few years ago Birmingham really cracked down on these type spas.  A lot of coverage went into it at the time and these women are often trafficked in a network around the country.  Most of them had an older woman who stayed there and they all lived in the establishments sleeping on mattresses on the floor in back rooms.  Pretty awful existence.

The media doesn’t want me to think anything. 
You:

So this appears to be an anti Asian hate crime? 
Your media:

A white gunman accused of killing eight people, most of them of women of Asian descent, at three Atlanta-area spas was charged with murder Wednesday in an attack that sent terror through the Asian American community that's increasingly been targeted during the coronavirus pandemic.
Your president:

Biden said on Wednesday that brutality against Asian Americans is "very troubling."
Kamala:

I do want to say to our Asian American community that we stand with you and understand how this has frightened and shocked and outraged all people, knowing the increasing level of hate crimes against our Asian American brothers and sisters, we also want to speak out in solidarity with them and acknowledge that none of us should ever be silent in the face of any form of hate.
All jumping to push the narrative your hearts so long for.  And you couldn't be any more wrong.  It will be interesting to see if the narrative switches to the real cause like how women (including Asian women) are trafficked into the sex industry like this.  Or if you will keep your blinders on with the race and hate.

A few years ago Birmingham really cracked down on these type spas.  A lot of coverage went into it at the time and these women are often trafficked in a network around the country.  Most of them had an older woman who stayed there and they all lived in the establishments sleeping on mattresses on the floor in back rooms.  Pretty awful existence.
Yep, I'll bet the left just whiffs on the real issue here.

Users who are viewing this thread