What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McGahee in Cleveland for Physical (1 Viewer)

just_want_2_win

Footballguy
Free agent Willis McGahee is in Cleveland taking a physical for the Browns.

After the Browns traded Trent Richardson away to the Colts for a 2014 first-round pick Wednesday evening, they need someone to carry the ball for them the rest of the season. Chris Ogbonnaya and Bobby Rainey are the only other running backs on Cleveland's roster. McGahee worked out for the Giants last week, but he hasn't received much interest since being cut by the Broncos in June. We fully expect him to sign on with the Browns once he passes the physical.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2265/willis-mcgahee

So who's picking up McGahee? And if FAAB, how much are you willing to bid?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pump the brakes.

I think any RB is going to struggle for the Browns till they get their starting guard back for Oniel Cousins.

Also the injury to QB Brandon Weeden's thumb could linger for awhile and its doubtful that third string QB Brian Hoyer is going to blow up behind the worst pass blocking O-Line thru the first two weeks.

The Browns O-Line has given up 51 QB pressures over the first two weeks. The next highest number of pressure for any NFL team is Arizona with 38. Only one other team gave up over 30 QB pressures so the 51 by the Browns is off-the-charts TERRIBLE.

So any RB is going to face eight in the box and dare any Cleveland QB to beat them with the pass.

The only positive news for the Browns is getting back WR Josh Gordon. Obviously that helps the QB but it just not a good situaton.

The main thing for Browns fans to see is the differece in the rushing totals from the Browns RBs.

I honestly don't think we'll see a huge difference and that is a symptom of the sorry state of the Browns offensive line right now.

T-Rich is a very good RB if he gets to the second level clean so if INDY's O-line can open holes he will look really good there but he was facing 8 man fronts constantly and not getting clean holes. So the Browns won't see a huge difference in the bottom line of their rushing stats, basically they won't be hurt as much by this deal even if Indy gets a lot more production and is helped.

McGahee or Rainey or Ogbannaya? I don't have the answer but I don't think this is a good fantasy situation.

Can't imagine McGahee would be more than 3rd string at best. Even the Giants wouldn't sign him after working him out post-Andre Brown injury.

I picked up Ogbannaya but who knows? He can catch the ball and he has better size than Rainey.

Can't imagine McGahee would be more than 3rd string at best. Even the Giants wouldn't sign him after working him out post-Andre Brown injury.

I picked up Ogbannaya but who knows? He can catch the ball and he has better size than Rainey.
Or maybe he didn't want to be a place holder for Brown.... for 8-9 games, only to be released.

Pump the brakes.

I think any RB is going to struggle for the Browns till they get their starting guard back for Oniel Cousins.

Also the injury to QB Brandon Weeden's thumb could linger for awhile and its doubtful that third string QB Brian Hoyer is going to blow up behind the worst pass blocking O-Line thru the first two weeks.

The Browns O-Line has given up 51 QB pressures over the first two weeks. The next highest number of pressure for any NFL team is Arizona with 38. Only one other team gave up over 30 QB pressures so the 51 by the Browns is off-the-charts TERRIBLE.

So any RB is going to face eight in the box and dare any Cleveland QB to beat them with the pass.

The only positive news for the Browns is getting back WR Josh Gordon. Obviously that helps the QB but it just not a good situaton.

The main thing for Browns fans to see is the differece in the rushing totals from the Browns RBs.

I honestly don't think we'll see a huge difference and that is a symptom of the sorry state of the Browns offensive line right now.

T-Rich is a very good RB if he gets to the second level clean so if INDY's O-line can open holes he will look really good there but he was facing 8 man fronts constantly and not getting clean holes. So the Browns won't see a huge difference in the bottom line of their rushing stats, basically they won't be hurt as much by this deal even if Indy gets a lot more production and is helped.

McGahee or Rainey or Ogbannaya? I don't have the answer but I don't think this is a good fantasy situation.
You answered the question. QB pressures. WHO is the best pass blocker? As far as Peyton Manning was concerned it was some guy named Willis.

Free agent Willis McGahee is in Cleveland taking a physical for the Browns.

After the Browns traded Trent Richardson away to the Colts for a 2014 first-round pick Wednesday evening, they need someone to carry the ball for them the rest of the season. Chris Ogbonnaya and Bobby Rainey are the only other running backs on Cleveland's roster. McGahee worked out for the Giants last week, but he hasn't received much interest since being cut by the Broncos in June. We fully expect him to sign on with the Browns once he passes the physical.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2265/willis-mcgahee

So who's picking up McGahee? And if FAAB, how much are you willing to bid?
Picked him up after moving Weeden to IR.

I see McGahee as insurance and maybe a goal line type. There is a reason he didn't get a call sooner than now. I really think Rainey is going to get the lion's share of touches. Which in Cle is equal to a marginal flex player. However a starting RB on any team holds value.

I bid 450 (have 800 left. Might not be the greatest of players initially, but when else do you get a chance at a "Norv Turner rB" who will eventually carry the ball 20+ times a game?

McGahee appeared to have more upside than Mr. Zombie Brandon Lloyd, so for $5 bid dollars it seemed like a no brainer to pick him up.

I wouldn't go too hard at McGahee - if you have a spare bench spot, fine. But this is a bad situation and not a pickup that will save or even probably impact your fantasy team.

Like as a bye week fill in possibility at RB (for 2 RB leagues).

IMO He's unquestionably the guy to own there. He wouldn't sign there if they didn't specify the role he'd be brought in to be.

And unlike NYG, he's pretty much assured at paycheck at the end of the season...............................................................

McGahee appeared to have more upside than Mr. Zombie Brandon Lloyd, so for $5 bid dollars it seemed like a no brainer to pick him up.
$5 sounds reasonable.

But someone will probably go nuts and overbid.

Rainey could probably be gotten for free?

thoughts on value?
This is the epitome of collecting a paycheck. The team was bad with Richardson, they will be worse with McGahee.
I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure every Cleveland back has been statistically superior to Richardson in the time frame Trent has been with the team. His best attribute was his patch catching. Trent's style never seemed to match.
Which should make people wonder why they brought in Chud/Norv in teh first place with such an obvious mismatch with the team's top talent.

Just got home and saw the news. My mind is blown. Congrats TRich owners. I ran to my ww and grabbed both.

Rob Chudzinski was the OC at the University of Miami the year Mcgahee had a Heisman type 20+ TD season.

Keep that in mind....he's the play here IMO.

Rob Chudzinski was the OC at the University of Miami the year Mcgahee had a Heisman type 20+ TD season.

Keep that in mind....he's the play here IMO.
Chud was also OC for the Browns when they had Jamaal Lewis, and also 2004 with William Green.

Even if you don't need a RB, it's a smart move to block someone else from getting him. The Bradshaw owner is down a RB and you could use McGahee as a trade bait down the road.

so assuming McGahee is the guy - what are we expecting?

I'm thinking as a floor: 15 carries, 3.5 YPA, a TD every 3 games or so, a couple receptions and, say 15 yards...

so 67 total yards, 2 receptions, .3 TD. So 8.5 PPG in standard, 10.5 in PPR. That puts him around RB30...sound about right?

eta: lol...roughly exactly the same that TRich has been putting up. Can McGahee use his veteran savvy to get more YPC than TRich?

Is everyone sure that McGahee is going to be "the guy", coming in off the street? Not someone already on the roster, like Ogbonnaya?

10% of the FAAB allowance?
Any others thoughts?
I'll throw in a lowball bid, just in case everyone else is asleep. But I won't expect to win him. It's risky. First, even if he signs, it's not exactly an ideal situation. And if you need him to start for you, chances are your fantasy season is pretty much over already. Secondly, it's no slam dunk that he passes the physical, so your bid could be wasted.

Any others thoughts?
I'll throw in a lowball bid, just in case everyone else is asleep. But I won't expect to win him. It's risky. First, even if he signs, it's not exactly an ideal situation. And if you need him to start for you, chances are your fantasy season is pretty much over already. Secondly, it's no slam dunk that he passes the physical, so your bid could be wasted.
I am currently way over this, but debating dropping down or going up.

Any others thoughts?
It's already week 3, even if McGahee signs, plays and starts it may be week 6 before he picks up any steam (if he does so at all).

I stayed at around 50% in my FFPC league. I could have had him for 30%. Don't really care though. I needed a back. I got him for 20% in a FBG's FPC league.

This will be cool to watch unfold. It will be kind of funny if a 32-year old RB with wrecked legs can really average the same ypc as Trent did.

Sorry to turn this into an assistant coach post, but would any of you waive Bernard Pierce or Fred Jackson for McGahee? I can't bring myself to waive either for such an unknown in a less than ideal situation. At least they're both getting decent touches right now, are in good running situations, and are one injury away from top 10 RB status. I can't say that McGahee has that kind of potential.

I picked up McGahee in 32 out of my 64 leagues with waivers....I think I spent approx. $12,000 worth of waiver wire money and over spent by about $5,000...in a few leagues I was shocked I was the only 1 to even bid on him while in other my bids of $438 were out bid. In 1 league I went $438 and no others bid that is so frustrating to see that. Most of my teams are in deep trouble after this trade so I was not in the right frame of mind last night. Have Bradshaw on about 15 teams so those 5th and 6th round picks are up in smoke...have Richardson in about 15 leagues so that makes this week tough and have the combo as my top 2 backs in a few...that brought the pain and the desperateness to get McGahee. Huge reach for the FA money I handed out.

I picked up McGahee in 32 out of my 64 leagues with waivers....I think I spent approx. $12,000 worth of waiver wire money and over spent by about $5,000...in a few leagues I was shocked I was the only 1 to even bid on him while in other my bids of $438 were out bid. In 1 league I went $438 and no others bid that is so frustrating to see that. Most of my teams are in deep trouble after this trade so I was not in the right frame of mind last night. Have Bradshaw on about 15 teams so those 5th and 6th round picks are up in smoke...have Richardson in about 15 leagues so that makes this week tough and have the combo as my top 2 backs in a few...that brought the pain and the desperateness to get McGahee. Huge reach for the FA money I handed out.
I can't imagine how you could possibly keep on top of that many leagues unless its a full time job. Unreal. You must enjoy it.

I can't imagine how you could possibly keep on top of that many leagues unless its a full time job. Unreal. You must enjoy it.
Almost deserves it's own thread. Is there a flow chart or some sort of Excel workbook? That is dedication.

Users who are viewing this thread