What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Miami at Baltimore (1 Viewer)

It doesn't matter if Flacco slid too late. If you put a shoulder into ANYBODYS head when they're on the turf, that's a personal foul. That was a cheap shot, not because he hit Flacco but because he lined up his head.

By rule, Alonso was required to "pull up" the moment Flacco started his slide. Players who slide do not need to be touched -- they are automatically declared "down" by the process of sliding.
Good point but it always. Make me wonder: can these guys really pull up in a split second?  I mean, there are days when I'm walking on the street and see something on the ground a step before I step on it.  Does the brain work fast enough to change that kind of speed and momentum?

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't matter if Flacco slid too late. If you put a shoulder into ANYBODYS head when they're on the turf, that's a personal foul. That was a cheap shot, not because he hit Flacco but because he lined up his head.
Give me a break.  The idea that he intentionally hit him in the head is absurd.  You had two guys running full speed at each other and at the last possible half second when one already has committed to the hit the other guy suddenly drops to the ground.

Good point but it always. Are me wonder: can these guys really pull up in a split second?  I mean, there are days when I'm walking on the street and see something on the ground a step before I step on it.  Does the brain work fast enough to change that kind of speed and momentum?
22 guys do it every snap. This is the Suh defense. Somehow everybody else in the league manages not to cheap shot guys like that.

QB slides were invented for a guy running alone in the middle of the field who decides to go down before anyone gets near him. If a QB slide is a bang bang play then you slid too late. You slide or you go for the first down, not both. Honestly they need to change the rule to subtract two yards from where you slid (they never mark it "at the start of the attempt to slide" like they're supposed to) to make sure it isn't abused by people trying to pick up every extra inch and then expect the defensive player to make a circus play to get out of the way. 
Cam Newton waits way too long to slide ... then feels the refs are against him when he doesn't get the flag. Drives me crazy.

If QB's are gonna wait that long to slide, it would be less dangerous if they just lower a shoulder and get tackled.

Not defending Alonzo there thou. That was completely unnecessary head shot.

If BALT couldn't fumble due to the fair catch, why wasn't there a penalty for him advancing the ball after a fair catch?

Andrew Sendejo suspended for his it on Wallaces head last week. Deservedly so I think.

Wallace was not even sliding on the play.

Way to waste 5 seconds before calling that timeout. I guess that's how long it takes for Adam Gase to think, "Hmmm, do we really want to win this game or not".

Not the guy who knocked him to the ground, then jumped on him and elbowed him in the face, knocking his helmet off?
Given the circumstance, I'm fine with it. The guy injured the most protected player with a cheap shot. Leeway should be permitted in my opinion. Plus, Suh dove on that guy afterward, so it evened it. It should not have been offsetting, as that excuses the initial foul.

22 guys do it every snap. This is the Suh defense. Somehow everybody else in the league manages not to cheap shot guys like that.
QBs always get hit when they slide THAT late, half a yard from a guy running at them full speed who is already launching himself.

You're right though, when QBs slide 7 yards away from the nearest defender like the rule was intended, they don't get hit.  Which is what Flacco should have done.  He made the decision to commit to trying to get to the first down and at that point he should have taken his lick with a big hit to the midsection.

QBs always get hit when they slide THAT late, half a yard from a guy running at them full speed who is already launching himself.

You're right though, when QBs slide 7 yards away from the nearest defender like the rule was intended, they don't get hit.  Which is what Flacco should have done.  He made the decision to commit to trying to get to the first down and at that point he should have taken his lick with a big hit to the midsection.
What was he launching himself at, the QB's knees?

The bigger problem at play here is guys throwing themselves into a guy that's either sliding or being held up by another tracker just to prevent him from gaining that final two inches. I hate that.

If BALT couldn't fumble due to the fair catch, why wasn't there a penalty for him advancing the ball after a fair catch?
If the punting team touches the ball first, it's a free opportunity for the receiving team to advance. I've literally seen that happen dozens of times before. Fair catch or not.

2 hand touch below the waist for all QB.  It's where we're headed.  Just get it over with.

It's not a penalty. It's just a dead ball. Rule 7, Section 2, Article 1(m):

"An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended: when any receiver catches or recovers the ball after a fair catch signal has been made, provided the ball has not been touched by an opponent, before or after it strikes the ground."

If Alonso couldn't react quick enough after the slide as you are suggesting then how did he get a perfect shot at Flaccos head?

The play reminds me of when a Greg Williams coached defender did something similar to Bridgewater who was sliding, except Alonsos hit was more on target and vicious.

It's a penalty for hitting a defenseless player in the head, the slide is irrelevant.

I've always understood it to be if the punting team touches the ball first, it's a free opportunity for the receiving team to advance. I've literally seen that happen dozens of times before.
I agree, but that didn't happen - at least they never showed it hitting a MIA player.

"If ball hits ground or is touched by member of kicking team in flight, fair catch signal is off and all rules for a kicked ball apply."

From the rule book.

First half thoughts:

Mike Pouncey has really regressed, he was a pro bowl caliber guy, now he might be Miami's 2nd worst starting lineman(after Bushrod)

Parker can't get healthy soon enough for this offense. Landry and Stills are both good, but one dimensional.

How bad is Seattle's o-line? Collins looks awesome on the Ravens, and he was clearly the 4th or 5th best guy in Seattle. Would Rawls be tearing up if he played elsewhere?

Why do I get the feeling this is gonna be just like the Jets game last week? Ravens would be wise to try and run out the clock the entire 2nd half. Mallet might be the worst backup in the NFL. 

If Alonso couldn't react quick enough after the slide as you are suggesting then how did he get a perfect shot at Flaccos head?

The play reminds me of when a Greg Williams coached defender did something similar to Bridgewater who was sliding, except Alonsos hit was more on target and vicious.
He already has his shoulder square, launching at the player (who is running at full speed towards him) while he runs full speed forward.  At that point he's only making minor adjustments to the height of the target.  It's waaaay too late to process "hmmm, maybe this weird drop kick to my ankles is actually a QB slide, I guess I'd better make some superhuman sudden adjustment and leap over the top of him even though all my momentum is already lunging at a tackle".

The idea that he thought "oh look at this guy's head just sitting out here ripe for the taking, I think I'm going to try and decapitate him and give them a free first down when it would have otherwise been 4th down because my blood lust for killing this guy is just too high" is utterly absurd and slanderous.

First half thoughts:

Mike Pouncey has really regressed, he was a pro bowl caliber guy, now he might be Miami's 2nd worst starting lineman(after Bushrod)

Parker can't get healthy soon enough for this offense. Landry and Stills are both good, but one dimensional.

How bad is Seattle's o-line? Collins looks awesome on the Ravens, and he was clearly the 4th or 5th best guy in Seattle. Would Rawls be tearing up if he played elsewhere?

Why do I get the feeling this is gonna be just like the Jets game last week? Ravens would be wise to try and run out the clock the entire 2nd half. Mallet might be the worst backup in the NFL. 
Not as bad as the Dolphins' line...

He already has his shoulder square, launching at the player (who is running at full speed towards him) while he runs full speed forward.  At that point he's only making minor adjustments to the height of the target.  It's waaaay too late to process "hmmm, maybe this weird drop kick to my ankles is actually a QB slide, I guess I'd better make some superhuman sudden adjustment and leap over the top of him even though all my momentum is already lunging at a tackle".

The idea that he thought "oh look at this guy's head just sitting out here ripe for the taking, I think I'm going to try and decapitate him and give them a free first down when it would have otherwise been 4th down because my blood lust for killing this guy is just too high" is utterly absurd and slanderous.
Like everything else in the game, it's his job not to hit a defenseless guy in the head. Period, end of statement.

I agree, but that didn't happen - at least they never showed it hitting a MIA player.

Right but I think they ruled it that way.
If the refs ruled that the ball hit a Miami player, then Baltimore gets a "free play". Not only do they get to return the kick without penalty, but if they lose yardage or fumble the ball away then they can elect to take possession of the ball at the spot of the original catch.

If the refs ruled that the ball hit a Miami player, then Baltimore gets a "free play". Not only do they get to return the kick without penalty, but if they lose yardage or fumble the ball away then they can elect to take possession of the ball at the spot of the original catch.
Right. That's what I saw, and have seen, in many games past.

Like everything else in the game, it's his job not to hit a defenseless guy in the head. Period, end of statement.
The problem with this kind of play is it's not like this was a receiver going up for a pass that he knew all along was "defenseless".  Up until 0.1 seconds before the contact Flacco was a legit ball-carrier trying to pick up a first down.  He became "defenseless" at such a tiny fraction of a second before contact that you can't possibly expect someone running full speed and in the middle of a tackle to process that.

I agree Flacco tries to slide too late.

Going back a couple years I recall the Vikings did a study on QBs being injured trying to slide compared to just advancing the ball as a runner normally and they found QBs being injured more often when sliding.

Part of why they were coaching their QBs to just advance the ball instead of sliding.

Disagree with you saying its absurd or slanderous to say that Alonso strikes him right on the head. That is what happened and that is a foul.

The problem with this kind of play is it's not like this was a receiver going up for a pass that he knew all along was "defenseless".  Up until 0.1 seconds before the contact Flacco was a legit ball-carrier trying to pick up a first down.  He became "defenseless" at such a tiny fraction of a second before contact that you can't possibly expect someone running full speed and in the middle of a tackle to process that.
Flacco is sliding when he's two yards away.

If he had no time then he'd have just flown overtop of him.  But in those two yards he had time to adjust his aim to hit a guy on the ground instead of on his feet. He had the reaction time to turn and lead with his shoulder into Flacco's head.

I'm sorry, but that was a dirty hit. He may have tried to tried to get it in before it would be too blatant, but he had the ability to see Flacco was sliding and not got into Flacco's head with his shoulder.  He had to adjust his aim in order to get the contact he got.

Users who are viewing this thread