What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (1 Viewer)

# 6- Daft Punk - Derezzed (Tron: Legacy OST)

One of the great things about Daft Punk is they leave me only a few moments to gush about vocals that particularly mean something to me, involving all of you in my own emo world. This lack of lyrics and emoting is a blessing.

So is brevity. This one clocks in at about 1:45-2:00, depending on whether you're watching the video version or listening to it on Spotify. It gets in, gets out, and doesn't leave you time to rave, but to shake it for only a minute. No editors needed for this one.

An effective track and a really appealing one, in my opinion. Flynn's arcade is very cool also. Love the video. Never saw the movie in all of its Daft Punk glory, something I've been derelict about. I mean, The Dude is in it. Sheesh.

I finally listened to the #11 playlist.

Excluding my own song, I already knew that I liked these songs:
  • Rush – Limelight – despite how overplayed it is
  • Daft Punk, Pharrell Williams, Nile Rodgers – Get Lucky
  • Alice In Chains – Over Now
  • Queen – Somebody To Love
  • AC/DC – Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution – my favorite AC/DC song!
Once I listened to it, I realized I knew and liked this song, just didn't remember it by name:
  • Stevie Wonder – I Wish
On first listen to this playlist, these were the unfamiliar songs I liked the best:
  • Jorge Ben Jor – Chove Chuva
  • Taylor Swift – Babe (Taylor's Version)
  • Elliott Smith – Alameda
  • Doves – Eleven Miles Out
Solid playlist, but not as good for my taste as some of the others. Looking forward to the top 10!

Sooo.. we are sending in artists and playlists for Part 2 now, so there is no break in the awesome music, right? ;)
Or maybe we can listen to all the playlists and have a slight break between this.
Not sure if zegras even wants to go through all this again so soon
Better be more than a slight break. I've only done five of fifteen studio albums, and then there's all the miscellaneous to do. And football season (rember that?) is coming up. I got drafting to do.

I'm not even sure everyone has decided on what music they are covering.

#6 - The Stranglers - Skin Deep

Year - 1984
Album - Aural Sculpture
UK Chart position - #15
Vocals - Hugh Cornwell
Key Lyric - Many people tell you that they're your friend
You believe them
You need then
For what's round the river bend
Make sure that you're receiving the signals they send
'Cause brother, you've only got two hands to lend

Interesting Points

1- Their second biggest hit in Australia reaching #11, just one spot behind their biggest hit

2- The layers to this song are incredible. The lush keyboards, restrained bass and to top it all off perfect vocals from Hugh.

3- JJB claims he created the basis of this song from a blues riff at a blues club near his parents restaurant. Luminaries such as Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac used to regularly play there. Hugh Cornwell then reworked the riff into the song we know now

4- The lyrics talk about superficial friendships and the need to be cautious about these type of bonds

5- By now the two leads were fighting and not getting one, despite new audiences opening up to them with their sound evolving. The relationship between them deteriorated to the point where they werent writing songs together and drifting apart until 1990s split. No reconciliation will take place, despite being the only surviving original members, as they are entrenched in their arguments.

Summary to date

Year

1977 - 11
1978 - 5
1979 - 2
1980 - 0
1981 - 1
1982 - 1
1983 - 0
1984 - 3
1985 - 0
1986 - 1
1987 - 0
1988 - 2
1989 - 0
1990 onwards - 2

Where to find
Rattus Norvegicus - 7/9
No More Heroes -3/11
Black and White - 2/12
The Raven - 2/11
The Gospel According to the Meninblack - 0/10
La Folie - 1/11
Feline - 0/9
Aural Sculpture - 3/11
Dreamtime - 1/10
All Live and All of the Night - 2/13
10 - 1/10
1991 onwards - 0
B Sides - 1
Greatest Hits - 2
Standalone Single - 3

Running Vocal Count
Hugh Cornwell - 16
Jean-Jacques Burnel - 10
Other - 0

Rundown
#31 - Walk on By
#30 - Ugly
#29 - All Day and All of the Night
#28 - Meninblack
#27 - Goodbye Toulouse
#26 - Princess of the Streets
#25 - Sweden (All Quiet on the Eastern Front)
#24 - Duchess
#23 - Sometimes
#22 - La Folie
#21 - North Winds
#20 - No Mercy
#19 - 5 Minutes
#18 - Strange Little Girl
#17 - Shut Up
#16 - Bitching
#15 - Bring on the Nubiles
#14 - 96 Tears
#13 - Down in the Sewer
#12 - Hanging Around
#11 - Straighten Out
#10 - Nice ‘N’ Sleazy
#9 - London Lady
#8 - Always the Sun
#7 - Something Better Change
#6 - Skin Deep

We get serious with their most enduring song. It was an absolute travesty that it wasn’t a hit. Why is interesting.

From the #20s Slade's My Oh My added to 1973 - The gangster of love

I have no idea why Slade is a big gaping whole in my musical history. They're right up my alley, particularly for what I was listening to at the time. My Oh My is vaguely familiar, but still.
Anyway, tip of the cap to @Mrs. Rannous for choosing them. :thanks:
A bit late here (really, really late), but you're welcome. They are a favourite of ours.

Greetings from the UK. First time I've flown one of the rare daytime flights across the Atlantic and I've gotta say it beats the hell out of the overnights. Left Dulles at 8:20 AM and landed at Heathrow at 8:00 PM. Sailed through immigration, carry-on only, and Elizabeth line had us to our hotel by 9:30. Wandered around a bit, fell asleep by midnight, and yesterday woke up with zero jetlag already feeling on local time. Touch wood, as our Canadian friends would say.

I won't have much chance to listen to the 6s (or the 5s) but quick highlights from the 7s before heading to the Churchill War Rooms - wish our resident Churchill expert @timschochet was here to give us a guided tour.

Modest Mouse/Missed the Boat - both Mrs. Scorchy's and my favorite MM song. And I generally prefer the earlier stuff as well, but this one just hits us.
Rush/Xanadu - and here's my favorite Rush song (was somewhere near the top of my MAD Around the World list too). I don't even care about the ridiculous lyrics.
ToD/Life - I really, really like ToD's more melodic songs.
Phish/Free - The less they noodle, the more I like them. I know that's kind of an anti-Phish sentiment though.
Ray Charles/America the Beautiful - Simply amazing. What more can anyone really write about this?

The Hold Steady “Realistic” Dream Setlist Song 25: Chillout Tent (First Encore)

He was rough around the edges:
He'd been to school, but never finished,
He'd been to jail, but never prison.
It was his first day off in forever, man
The festival seemed like a pretty good plan,
Cruise some chicks and get a sun-tan.

Album: Boys and Girls in America (song 4 of 4)

Year: 2008

# of Times Seen Live: 5 of 39 shows

The Story: Chill-Out Tent is one of the most divisive songs among the Unified Scene - lots of fans openly loathe it. I’m kind of in the middle. If this were a top 31 list, I wouldn’t have included it, but I put it here for two reasons (1) after ending the “main set” on a downer with A Slight Discomfort, I wanted the encore to start with something upbeat and fun, and (2) it’s always a blast live just to see what guest vocalists come up and sing the girl/guy parts. The best I’ve personally experienced was with Patrick Stickles from Titus Andronicus and Jessica Louise Dye from The High Wasted.

Bonus Video: I wasn’t at Brooklyn Bowl for this one, but if anyone ever wanted to hear Christopher Molitisanti sing about taking too many drugs: Chillout Tent with Michael Imperioli and Augusta Koch

Border Song has my favorite Elton vocals. I love the bluesy way he sings it.

Anyone ever notice that Waterloo Sunset has a very similar ending to Good Day Sunshine? Coincidence? Or who copied who?
He sings his *** off on this one. It's arranged and played like a gospel record.

Green DayMAC_3221st Century Breakdown
What an epic track. A perfect pop-rock anthem may be hyperbolic, but it's what popped into my head when I first heard it. I downloaded the album before heading to an out of town bachelor party. I had 2 hours before my rendezvous with others, so I figured I'd get through most of the record twice. That didn't happen because I went back and listened to this (and a couple others) multiple times. There's a lot I could write about it, but rather than doing that...just listen and enjoy the journey. My only regret is this should have been #5.

Sooo.. we are sending in artists and playlists for Part 2 now, so there is no break in the awesome music, right? ;)
Or maybe we can listen to all the playlists and have a slight break between this.
Not sure if zegras even wants to go through all this again so soon
Better be more than a slight break. I've only done five of fifteen studio albums, and then there's all the miscellaneous to do. And football season (rember that?) is coming up. I got drafting to do.

I'm not even sure everyone has decided on what music they are covering.
Nope. I can't remember the last full game of football I watched. Odd to say since about 20 years ago I was juggling 15+ fantasy leagues and watching damn near every Pats game. I've done a complete flip on sports for the most part besides the Mariners and MLB.

The Decemberists
#6 The Crane Wife 3

We've reached the point in the countdown where any one of the top 6 songs could be #1, and would be, depending on my mood when I put the list together.
(I'm lying; there was really only ever one choice for #1 for me, and that's because there's a significant literary driver both in the song but especially the video. But you'll have to wait ('til early September, I think) for that one.)

I'm not sure why, but The Crane Wife 3 actually leads off the album (entitled The Crane Wife, natch). But Pitchfork seems to have a theory:
"The Crane Wife 3" opens the album with a ruminative flourish as John Moen's drums push the sensuous thrust of the music and Meloy's delivery of the lines "each feather it fell from skin" colors the resignation of "I will hang my head hang my head low." It opens the album en medias res, setting up the subsequent story-songs as the narrator's rueful reminiscences.
For those of you that skipped Latin, a narrative work beginning in medias res , (literally "into the middle of things") opens in the midst of the plot.

On a personal note, this song always reminds me of my son. If something didn't go exactly as planned, he'd hang his head low (picture George Michael in Arrested Development, also big in our household in 2006). So whenever this happened, I'd sing

And I will hang my head, hang my head low
And I will hang my head, hang my head low

Nope. I can't remember the last full game of football I watched. Odd to say since about 20 years ago I was juggling 15+ fantasy leagues and watching damn near every Pats game. I've done a complete flip on sports for the most part besides the Mariners and MLB.
Same.

I saw the post for the music/fantasy football draft and couldn't even generate a modicum of interest. I think I did the inaugural one? Anyway, I still watch football, but only really do fantasy hockey now.

I think I did the inaugural one?

You did. You were on a trip to China. You couldn't get your picks in so we used what we called "Kupchobot" to pick for you. "You" picked Kareem Hunt in the first round. He wound up kicking a woman and was suspended for about four games and cut from the Chiefs.

It was not a good bot.

eta* Thanks for the Latin upthread. I immediately groaned and thought "I have to look this up, don't I?" but you, humble narrator, were there to explain what I had forgotten to life many moons ago when I actually read things regularly.

I missed talking about Nightrider last round... it's a decent enough rocker off of Face the Music. Notable because bassist Kelly Groucutt gets a verse of lead vocal.

But this round's song is a big one, and likely some people's favorite ELO song

Turn to Stone

It leads off the excellent Out of the Blue album. It has everything you expect from ELO - nice hook, kind of an electronic vibe, steady rock beat with plenty of strings, and, of course, a small weird part, in this case one verse sung at super high speed. Great song!

Last edited:
Same.

I saw the post for the music/fantasy football draft and couldn't even generate a modicum of interest. I think I did the inaugural one? Anyway, I still watch football, but only really do fantasy hockey now.
I commend you guys for sticking around and being regulars on a fantasy football board without the fantasy and/or football in your lives. Not sure I would do the same if I stopped playing FF. To his credit, Joe has done a great job uniting folks outside of FF itself.

Same.

I commend you guys for sticking around and being regulars on a fantasy football board without the fantasy and/or football in your lives. Not sure I would do the same if I stopped playing FF. To his credit, Joe has done a great job uniting folks outside of FF itself.
I am here for the great music and movie minds now.

I even stopped doing NFL dfs. I barely know anything about football anymore and honestly don't miss it.

Baseball and hockey are the 2 sports I've totally given up on. I am not sure I could name a single player under 30 in either sport.

Baseball and hockey are the 2 sports I've totally given up on. I am not sure I could name a single player under 30 in either sport.
Not nearly as much into baseball as I used to be, although I really enjoy the Immaculate Grid game that tests my knowledge of '70s/'80s players that I used to be a savant about knowing. Also not quite into hockey as I used to be, but it will always be my first love.

I can watch bits and pieces of football but not an entire game. Still watch lots of baseball and tons of hockey.

Useless fact. I have a generally lousy memory - forget names, don't remember acquaintances from the past - even not too distant, yet they all seem to remember me. I just don't recognize them. I do haven uncanny ability to remember what hand a hockey player shoots if I've ever seen them play. So you could name nearly an ex-Montreal Canadien and I could tell you instantly if he shot left or right. Or, frankly, almost any NHL player from any team. If I've seen them play I'll likely know what hand they shoot. It's quite funny, really. My kids used to think it was pretty cool.

Useless fact. I have a generally lousy memory - forget names, don't remember acquaintances from the past - even not too distant, yet they all seem to remember me. I just don't recognize them. I do haven uncanny ability to remember what hand a hockey player shoots if I've ever seen them play. So you could name nearly an ex-Montreal Canadien and I could tell you instantly if he shot left or right. Or, frankly, almost any NHL player from any team. If I've seen them play I'll likely know what hand they shoot. It's quite funny, really. My kids used to think it was pretty cool.
Yup - I've found my spouse loves that I can remember the entire 1980 Philadelphia Phillies roster, but can't remember what our upcoming weekend plans are.

I was a fantasy football guy before I was ever a football fan, so I never really had a team, just players.

Then I got completely out of watching football or playing fantasy for a few years after my local league fell apart, then more recently got back into it.

The first FF/music draft played a part in that, as did embracing the Bills as my team and watching as a real fan - I know, only a lunatic lives through the 1985-2015 Bills experience and thinks, yeah I want to be part of that.

It's still a tier below baseball and hockey for me (and junior hockey/The Peterborough Petes will always be my true love) but I look forward to Sundays in the fall.

Song: Everybody Knows
Album: Easy Tiger
Released: 2007
Artist: Ryan Adams

The Easy Tiger album was another departure from Adams' alt-country roots - this time sounding more like 70s AOR radio songs.
This song is supposedly about his relationship with singer Phoebe Bridgers falling apart due to his drug/alcohol addiciton. Despite the dire storyline, the song sounds upbeat.

You come for me
In the worst of places
You come for me
You come and try to take me home
I'm always in need
And it's hard to be reciprocating
The fabric of our life gets torn
And everything's changing
So how am I to know
How I'm going to hold on to you
When I'm spinning out of control
You and I together
But only one of us in love
And everybody knows

No Name # 5- Elliott Smith...
from Either/Or Album

Got bitten fingernails and a head full of the past
And everybody's gone at last
A sweet, sweet smile that's fading fast
Because everybody's gone at last
And you don't get upset about it
No, not anymore
There's nothing wrong
That wasn't wrong before
Had a second alone with a chance let pass
Well, I hope you're not waiting
Waiting around for me
Because I'm not going anywhere
Obviously
Got a broken heart and your name on my cast
Everybody's gone at last

We have entered the phase of countdown where any of the next 6 songs could be #1 any given day. Of the 6 no name songs Elliott Wrote... this is the best. When Elliott Smith's music is described as hauntingly beautiful... No Name 5 is a perfect representation of that. Everything in this song is perfect, from the tuned down guitar, to the lyrics (which I think might be his best in this song) to the double tracked vocals, to when those drums kick in halfway through... the tone of this one is superb.... very Nick Drake like. For me this is just one of those songs that after the first time you hear it just stays with you. "got a broken heart, and your name on my cast" is almost too perfect of a lyric.

Brandi Carlile "A Tier" - This tier of four songs include a Grammy award winning rock song and a simple 3-part harmony.

9. Right On Time - the big vocals track from In These Silent Days hits hard, but doesn't quite reach the heights of similar songs in the S-tier (the two songs I assume almost everyone will recognize).

8. Every Time I Hear That Song - the second selection from By The Way, I Forgive You is really the quintessential Brandi Carlile song. It is introspective but relatable to anyone. The harmonies hit at the right time to catch your ear and invite you to restart it for a second listen.

7. Broken Horses - the band really wanted some recognition for writing rock songs on the new album. Sinners, Saints, and Fools back at #11 and this song both bring up the rock chords and left their Americana roots in the dust. They capped off their Grammy win for Best Rock Song with a slamming live performance.

6. the Eye - the polar opposite of Broken Horses, the Eye showcases the way Brandi and the twins compose and perform 3-part harmony. The simplicity of the track is especially effective in concert, serving as a cool down in the set that allows the backing band to reset.

With only my top tier remaining, we have Brandi's breakthrough anthem, the song that brought them to the mainstream, and a few you may not recognize.

Played so far:
Singles: 3/3
Self-titled debut: 2/2
the Story: 2/3
Give Up the Ghost: 3/4
Bear Creek: 3/3
the Firewatcher's Daughter: 4/4
By the Way, I Forgive You: 2/5
Highwomen: 2/2
In These Silent Days: 5/5

Last edited:
This is the one I really miss. It became hard to catch games after college, and was never on what I had. It was by far the sport I liked watching the most in HS and caught any Pens game I could. I'd easily watch 5-10 games a week. Like you, I couldn't name a player that became largely relevant in the last 15 years. Crosby is about the last big name I was around for - he has to be mid 30s by now.

This is the one I really miss. It became hard to catch games after college, and was never on what I had. It was by far the sport I liked watching the most in HS and caught any Pens game I could. I'd easily watch 5-10 games a week. Like you, I couldn't name a player that became largely relevant in the last 15 years. Crosby is about the last big name I was around for - he has to be mid 30s by now.
He's #87 for a reason.

Zz tops w
Waiting for the Bus just came on the radio and sounds almost exactly like Ride On.

I know a lot of blues riffs sound similar. I thought this was a ride on cover at first. :)

My #6, Electric Worry, would probably be ranked lower if it wasn't such a fun song to see live. When I saw them last week it was next to last before the encore and the whole place was singing along and going crazy.
It's also a broken up partial cover of Trouble No More by Muddy Waters.
I love this song regardless of where you ranked it. I get a ZZ Top vibe from it, and in a good way.
Slides seamlessly into 2007 - Frothing at the mouth

My #6, Electric Worry, would probably be ranked lower if it wasn't such a fun song to see live. When I saw them last week it was next to last before the encore and the whole place was singing along and going crazy.
It's also a broken up partial cover of Trouble No More by Muddy Waters.
I love this song regardless of where you ranked it. I get a ZZ Top vibe from it, and in a good way.
Slides seamlessly into 2007 - Frothing at the mouth
Yeah, this is their most popular songs and usually ranked top 3 by most fans.
Their song( not picked by me) A Quick Death in Texas sounds so much like ZZTop he actually says " forgive me Mr Gibbons"

We’ll get our kicks after the #6s! In shuffled order, hitting only about half the songs I might.

*Go Back - Tony Allen & Damian Alborn.
*Everybody Knows - Ryan Adams
*Do You - Spoon
*Snowden - Doves
*Turn to Stone - ELO.
*Blame it On the Tetons - Modest Mouse
*Ride On - AC/DC. I’d rather forgotten about this song. Great to hear it again!
*Warrior’s Dance - The Prodigy
*Calistan - Frank Black
*The Battle of Evermore -
*Mas, Que Nada - Jorge Ben Jor
*Electric Worry - Clutch.

6. Saturday in the Park
Album: Chicago V (1972)
Writer: Robert Lamm
Lead vocals: Robert Lamm with Peter Cetera
Released as a single? Yes (US #3)

If you associate Chicago's 1970s material with summer, this song is probably a big reason why. It doesn't get much more evocative of summer than "Saturday/In the park/Think it was the Fourth of July" set to a bouncy piano melody. That is exactly what Robert Lamm was going for. Walter Parazaider in the Group Portrait box set liner notes: "I was rooming with him, and we were in Manhattan on the Fourth July. He came in from Fourth of July in Central Park, and wrote down these lyrics, and he says, 'What do you think of these? Man, it was great out there. There were steel players, singer dancers, jugglers.' I said, 'Man, it's time to put music to this.'"
Until Peter Cetera balladry became the expectation, Saturday in the Park, which in 1972 became their biggest hit to date at #3 (and first gold single), was the template against which subsequent Chicago singles were compared in the industry press. But all that started a year later. The album it comes from, Chicago V, has nothing else like it, and in fact was arguably their most experimental record since the debut. Lamm said in the same liner notes: "'Saturday In The Park' is definitely a short song, and it's a very poppy song, but I think probably was doing that just to see if I could do it, just like everything else. On that same album, there is 'While The City Sleeps’ which is hardly a single concept."
In a podcast he did in December https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIQexWMBSk8, Rick Beato named Saturday in the Park Chicago's greatest song. "One of the best songs of the '70s," he said. "Great bassline. Pete Cetera -- oh, c'mon man, that's like right out of Paul McCartney's. Great horn stabs. I love this [the transition after Cetera's vocal part]. This part is the best, how it leads down to the chorus. Everything about this is great. The arrangement is phenomenal. The lyrics are great, the singing is great. The horn parts, the chord progression, oh my God, there is so much stuff. This is one of the most complex songs of that era, actually. Key changes, tempo changes, killer drum fills. A very tasteful drum fill there. Very rare. Notice there's no crash on the beginning of that section. I mean everything, all the upbeat accents in the vocals, the horn line that leads into the chorus. And then they go into a shuffle for the bridge, which is incredible. One of the greatest songs of the '70s. There's 11 songs on this greatest hits album, Chicago IX, some are 97%, some are 99%, this is 100%. Every one of these songs is a great song, and these songs never get old to me."
Live performance on Chicago in the Rockies TV special (along with Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cab_XlnJZjc
Live in Japan version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHvIqYjJuqQ
Leonid and Friends version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg8H9vrJCcU

At #5, a song that was a major hit but has an instrumental passage that you would not expect to hear on AM radio.

Ha Ha...not surprising at all. I have a couple of unconventional choices in my top 5 that most would not rank at all which bumped this down a couple pegs

I'm somewhere between the M-AD consensus and your ranking on Waterloo Sunset. I'd put it third on my favorites from the band. My top two haven't appeared in your countdown yet, so I'm hoping they show up!

My selection is Ryan Adams - please don't call him Bryan Adams (he does not like that and has famously walked off the stage when people called out "Summer of '69" as a request at his shows).

Adams' career started out in the band Whiskeytown one of the alt-country/no depression bands that came into prominence in the early/mid 90s along with Uncle Tupelo/Wilco/Son Volt, The Jayhawks, Old 97s, Lucinda Williams, The Mavericks, The Bottle Rockets, Golden Smog and others. This has been my "go to" musical preference since that time.

I'm leaving the Whiskeytown stuff off my list, and just going with his solo work, including his albums credited to Ryan Adams and the Cardinals. For the most part he's kept his alt-country sound, but has explored rock, pop and indie music as well. The guy has been prolific putting out 25 albums since he went solo in 2000, including 6 albums in 2022 alone. In recent years he's moved further and further up my lists of artists that I listen to the most. I'm not sure what the feedback will be or how much interest others will show - but hopefully at least a few people will be moved to explore more of his catalogue once this is over.
Catching up on things in my own peculiar way. Leaving Whiskeytown (my current rabbit hole) off the Ryan Adams playlist left a ton prime beef on the cutting floor. Then again, Whiskeytown can stand alone in their own right. ... as they might.

Ha Ha...not surprising at all. I have a couple of unconventional choices in my top 5 that most would not rank at all which bumped this down a couple pegs

I'm somewhere between the M-AD consensus and your ranking on Waterloo Sunset. I'd put it third on my favorites from the band. My top two haven't appeared in your countdown yet, so I'm hoping they show up!
You may be disappointed if I am guessing correctly. There a several notable titles that aren't on my 31 list but could be. I have a top 100 list to share later. I am sure they are on there.

Users who are viewing this thread