What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (1 Viewer)

Finishing out the #20s:

Everything Hits at Once is bouncy in a good way.

I don't remember Walk by title but I'm pretty sure I have heard it before. While slicker, it shares some of the incredible momentum-building of the Foos' best early tracks.

Punky's Dilemma may be the most Beach Boys-sounding of any S&G song.

Agree with everything that has been said about Crowds.

Heart were always majorly influenced by Zep, but that they were still finding creative ways to wield it as late as 2004 is a revelation.

"You said you didn't give a f**k about hockey, and I never saw someone say that before" -- a more Canadian lyric than that cannot be conceived of.

Random thoughts on some of the #19s I already know:

The Last Ride is another highlight from the Todd album and one of his best accomplishments. The arrangement is grandiose without being overstuffed, the melody is top notch and the closing guitar solo is fantastic.
Canary in a Coalmine is frenetic fun.
No Reply at All sounds like it shouldn't work on paper -- Banks/Collins/Rutherford with the EWF horns? -- but it does.
Tomorrow's Girls is bumpin'.
Superwoman is Stevie's proto-epic. It really does set the stage for his '70s achievements.
We'll get WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILD WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILD WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ghost is another vehicle for some of Phish's most exploratory jamming. It debuted in 1997 as a raging funk-rocker, but by the time it was recorded the following year, it had become more spacey and trippy. Either way, it's where they have really pushed the limits sometimes.
Strange Magic is oddly infectious. The vocal arrangement shouldn't work but it does.
Out There is as representative of '90s Dino Jr. as anything.
I never get tired of Mrs. Robinson, whether it's S&G's version or the Lemonheads'.
Unlike with These Dreams, I always knew There's the Girl was a Nancy Wilson vocal. It doesn't sound much like Ann, and I remember seeing the video at least once.

one imagines that they rolled with their production and studio budget to make a really commercially untenable yet sonic album.
What a fantastic description of Insomniac - we want to make sonically pleasing album that doesn't sell and makes most of our new fans uncomfortable.

A lot of great stuff these past two rounds in addition to what I'll comment on here.

20s...

Classics by Stevie, Foo Fighters, Zevon, and ACDC.
Another Taylor Swift song I enjoyed.
Favorites by Bauhaus and Tragically Hip posted so far.

19s...
Frank Black - Jane the Queen - wow awesome :heart:
Doves - Walk in Fire :heart:
S&G - how can anyone not love this

Just got back from a long weekend with the family in Montreal - fortunately timed with the annual Jazz Fest up there. Discovered this festival 9 years ago when my wife and I were also on vacation there. Highly recommend the festival in the future if you want to hear a lot of different genres well beyond jazz, and a really cool city to boot. Two new artists (both on Spotify) I heard this go around that really stood out.

Valaire (Quebec-based electro-pop)
Blue Moon Marquee (Alberta-based swinging jazz/blues)

#19 Gone Shootin’ (Powerage)

I’ve always thought this was a pretty cool little ditty. Love the rhythm and the simple bass line. Sounds great with headphones hearing the distinction between what Angus and Malcolm are playing. Also has a crisp, rather laid back, Angus solo in the middle and an extended bit at the end to a fade out which is rather rare for AC/DC..

A bunch of rockers upcoming but not before one of the newer songs in my list coming on Thursday.

Album breakdown
0 74 Jailbreak
2 High Voltage
1 Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
3 Let There Be Rock
3 PowerAge
2 Highway To Hell
1 Back in Black
1 For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)
1 Flick of the Switch
0 Fly On The Wall
0 Who Made Who
0 Blow Up Your Video
0 The Razor’s Edge
0 BallBreaker
0 Stiff Upper Lip
0 Black Ice
0 Rock or Bust
0 Power Up

Some #19 thoughts

Country Comfort - Hearing this song reminds me of visiting my grandparents. They didn't play it, but it's the feeling of that good old country comfort I got being there.
The Last Ride - Enjoyed this one a lot. Love the vocals, guitar, and slow pace of this one.
Crowded Table - These Highwomen sound good together.
Dried Roses - 🎻
Look At Little Sister - SRV sounds great live.
Old Days and Strange Magic - I feel that 1975 nostalgia.
When The Sun Rose Again - No grinding guitar on this one. The sound is low and slow.
Tie Your Mother Down - One of my favorites from this album.
Three Pistols - Another good one from Road Apples.
Mrs. Robinson - Yesterday I saw my oldest nephew. He was with his gf and two friends. One was a charming young man who was sorta flirty. I can see him finding a Mrs. Robinson.
Out There - I like this a lot, especially the 🎸. I notice that sometimes the singer's voice has a grogginess about it.
Superwoman - I like the different layers in this Stevie song. It didn't seem 8 minutes long.
Dead End Street - I don't recall this Kink's song. It's good. I like that trombone in it.

Probably more later

Gone Shootin' - Good cruisin' tune by ⚡
Independence Day - I agree with tuffnutt that this song has a bounce to it compared to other ES compositions. This is his song of hope.
Sherry Darling - Hey, hey, hey, what you say, Sherry Darling
5 Minutes - Dig that guitar solo.
The Passion of Lovers - I like the atmosphere in this one.
Head South - That outro. 🎸
Young and Lovely - I don't remember his accent being this thick in other songs.
I like Daft Punk's tune, but not the song title. ⚠️
Paper Lanterns - :headbang: Untitled #3 - 🧘‍♀️ Don't Make Me a Target - 🎯

Fallen behind here with the holiday weekend and being out of town. I should be able to catch up this weekend.

Picking some favorites from the 19s (outside of my usual suspects, if you will) before I fall behind:

Knew Beforehand
Old Days - Chicago
Ghost - Phish
10001110101 - Clutch

Didn’t Know
The Last Ride - Todd Rundgren
June Hymn - The Decemberists.
Independence Day - Elliott Smith (worked surprisingly well with the sound of fireworks in my neighborhood)
Jane the Queen of Love - Frank Black & the Catholics
Don’t Make Me A Target - Spoon

I listened to the #20 playlist.

Excluding my own song, I already knew that I liked these songs:
  • Genesis - Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
  • SRV - Change It
  • Stevie Wonder - Isn't She Lovely
  • ELO - Don't Bring Me Down
  • Warren Zevon - Werewolves of London
  • AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Once I listened to it, I realized I knew and liked this song, just didn't recognize it by name:
  • Police - Next To You
On first listen to this playlist, these were the unfamiliar songs I liked the best:
  • Brandi Carlile - Raise Hell
  • Decemberists - O New England
  • Green Day - Horseshoes and Hand Grenades
  • Ryan Adams - It's So Quiet, It's Loud
  • Spoon - Everything Hits At Once
Great playlist!

Last edited:
I like Daft Punk's tune, but not the song title. ⚠️

Oops. The number is probably the name of their drum machine/synth, actually. 808s and Heartbreak and all that. Fatboy had lauded his 303 back in '95. It's a house music thing, I think. I'm not perfect with the terminology, but you'll note I didn't type out the numbers again, just for your sake, simey. It's a Roland machine, if I'm not mistaken.

Everybody Needs A 303, but simey hates a ___

Did you watch the video by any chance? I just did. It's directed by Sofia Coppola. It's not earth-shattering, but it puts a unique perspective on a daily event. Kind of a perspective-oriented thing. A day in the life of a tomato and its effects. Heh.

Jane the Queen of Love - I like the different paces in the song.
June Hymn - love it
Ghost - This is sorta funky.
The Weekenders - I like when the backup singing comes in. I still can't think of who the lead singer reminds me of. Maybe he reminds me of himself.
Canary in a Coalmine and No Reply At All - Both songs remind me of high school years.
Awestruck - I like the music in this.
100101010101 - I like that guitar outro. 🎸

Last edited:
Did you watch the video by any chance? I just did. It's directed by Sofia Coppola. It's not earth-shattering, but it puts a unique perspective on a daily event. Kind of a perspective-oriented thing. A day in the life of a tomato and its effects. Heh.
No, but I'll watch it now. I originally listened to it on the playlist.

I watched it @rockaction and it made me want some spaghetti w/spaghetti sauce. 🍝

No kidding. I like the recipe and the tomatoes looked good (and I dislike raw tomatoes). Why not spaghetti with homemade sauce?

I'm having ribs tonight, for what it's worth. My vegan longings have not manifest in actual action. I'm going right for the bones, I guess.

Knew 9 of the 19's going in and recognized Old Days. Always liked that song but had no idea what it was called - thanks!
Mrs Robinson - Coo Coo Ca Choo!
Ghost- cool,funky and trippy- love it!
Jane the Queen of Love- I'm going to need the playlist for him along with Spoon,Dino Jr, Doves,ToD,AIC and probably more,lol
Tomorrow's Girl- never heard this ,good stuff
Overall, think I liked more than usual this round.

I'm having ribs tonight, for what it's worth. My vegan longings have not manifest in actual action. I'm going right for the bones, I guess.
If you're gonna be carnivorous, might as well go right for the bones. I don't think I could go vegan. It's too restrictive. I could do pescatarian or even vegetarian. I hope to do so one day.

Last edited:
I watched it @rockaction and it made me want some spaghetti w/spaghetti sauce. 🍝

No kidding. I like the recipe and the tomatoes looked good (and I dislike raw tomatoes). Why not spaghetti with homemade sauce?

Jealous of the ribs. Somehow went the whole 5 day holiday without eating any :(. Nowhere I went made them and I didn't have the time or weather to make them myself

I don't think I could go vegan. It's too restrictive. I could do pescatarian or even vegetarian. I hope to do so one day.

I echo this almost exactly. I couldn't cut dairy out of my diet. I can't even cut meat out of it, it seems. It's really all effort on my end. Not only to shop, but to prepare and cook vegetarian meals. Seems really time-consuming, and something I wouldn't be good at. And you kind of have to be good at these diets if you don't want health repercussions. My ex-girlfriend wound up anemic from a poor vegetarian diet. Gotta watch yourself.

But I think the health benefits and conscience benefits would be overall a plus, so I haven't ruled it out.

Led to a conversation about AC/DC and OH declaring that Malcolm Young was the best rhythm guitarist of all time. Thoughts?

Maybe whoever played alongside Keith Richards. Like when Ronnie Wood did. Maybe Izzy Straddlin from Guns N' Roses.

But the list I just looked at from Guitar World agrees with OH.

Damon Albarn Song #19

Blur - "Young and Lovely" non-album B-side (1993)

Albarn is nothing if not prolific. From the very start, Blur recorded a ton of stuff that stayed in the vaults when the albums came out.

"Young and Lovely" was released as a b-side to "Chemical World". It didn't make the cut for their second album Modern Life is Rubbish, perhaps because this sweet little song about kids saying goodbye to mum and dad before going out on the town didn't fit what their record label was selling as the next big thing. The band revived it in their setlists twenty years later along with dedications to their kids.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/track/73pvCD951PVyLmU1obAJZi

Live at Hyde Park 2012

Interesting annotation from the website Genius for the lyric in which Albarn calls the child "Friday's Child."

Friday’s child is derived from a traditional English song and poem, known as “Monday’s Child”.

Common modern versions include:
Monday’s child is fair of face,
Tuesday’s child is full of grace,
Wednesday’s child is full of woe,
Thursday’s child has far to go,
Friday’s child is loving and giving,
Saturday’s child works hard for a living,
But the child who is born on the Sabbath day
Is bonnie and blithe and good and gay.

Led to a conversation about AC/DC and OH declaring that Malcolm Young was the best rhythm guitarist of all time. Thoughts?

Maybe whoever played alongside Keith Richards. Like when Ronnie Wood did. Maybe Izzy Straddlin from Guns N' Roses.

But the list I just looked at from Guitar World agrees with OH.

That reads a lot like a list of best guitarists period instead of just players who didn't want to make it cry or sing.

I'd include Lou Reed and Carlos Alomar in the strictly rhythm category.

ETA: Steve Cropper at #24 is ridiculous

That reads a lot like a list of best guitarists period instead of just players who didn't want to make it cry or sing

It does, but I think they're talking about songwriting and riffs, too. That's what a brief skim led me to conclude. It was a readers' poll, so I'm sure some people just voted blindly, but for Malcolm Young to be number one and Straddlin to come in at ten with no real mention of Angus or Slash (unless I missed them) means some people understood the assignment.

Anyway, it's just an internet list. Something that jumped out at me that agreed with Oliver.

Lou Reed would certainly not be out of place. He solos sometimes, too, though in the Velvet Underground, if I'm not mistaken. There was a thread in Steve Hoffman about the greatest guitar solos ever, and he was listed there, though the posters could have been wrong. I think they were correct, personally.

Anyway, just a list to gnaw on or look it. Glad you did.

Users who are viewing this thread