What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (1 Viewer)

Our youngest hadn't then he sat down on a yard chair tonight. He's now been stung by a bee.

First bee stings and their aftermath are always a bit alarming if you're a young 'un.
On a camping trip a long time ago, my brother took a drink of coke from a can and got a bee sting on the roof of his mouth.
Been there - not from a coke can, but one flew in my mouth while I was out for a run. Thought it was just debris from a tree for a moment til I suddenly felt jarring pain in the back of my throat.

I don't think I could go vegan. It's too restrictive. I could do pescatarian or even vegetarian. I hope to do so one day.

I echo this almost exactly. I couldn't cut dairy out of my diet. I can't even cut meat out of it, it seems. It's really all effort on my end. Not only to shop, but to prepare and cook vegetarian meals. Seems really time-consuming, and something I wouldn't be good at. And you kind of have to be good at these diets if you don't want health repercussions. My ex-girlfriend wound up anemic from a poor vegetarian diet. Gotta watch yourself.

But I think the health benefits and conscience benefits would be overall a plus, so I haven't ruled it out.
I’ve been pescatarian since August. It’s been surprisingly easy. Haven’t had a 2nd thought since. I may give up fish someday but no way I could go full vegan.

The #19s were a very strong playlist. I especially liked these new-to-me songs:

Trail of Dead -- Awestruck
The Kinks -- Dead End Street (if I'd come across this before, I don't remember it)
Green Day -- Paper Lanterns
Big Thief -- Dried Roses
Daft Punk -- Revolution 909
Taylor Swift -- tolerate it
Elliott Smith -- Independence Day
Frank Black -- Jane the Queen of Love
Clutch -- the binary thing
Blur -- Young and Lovely
Ray Charles -- Born to Lose
Doves -- Walk in Fire
Spoon -- Don't Make Me a Target
Bauhaus -- The Passion of Lovers (especially the drumming)

No bee stings here, at least that I’m aware of. I’ve had ribs many times, wasn’t a big fan.

Any other major questions for the day?

How can you not have had ribs?

Odd fact: I've never had ribs.

I haven't either.

Also never been stung by a bee, which I learned recently was unusual. You?
Technically I've never been stung by a bee but have been stung many times by hornets.
Why have you 2 never even had the urge to try ribs?

One strike is that I generally don't eat red meat besides a burger or the cheap Costco shredded steak sandwhiches. I can't tell you the last time I had a steak, either. Strike one.

But mostly, I hate being messy when I eat and especially eating with my hands while doing so. I also don't eat corn on the cob and wings very rarely (and only if boneless isn't an option so I can comsume via fork :bag: ). Strike two.

Also, I generally don't like being reminded where my food came from while I am consuming it. :lol: Strike 3, but defintely lower on the reasons for ribs, but a reason I don't eat crab legs or whole fish carcass at restaurants.

Yes, I am odd.

Bauhaus -- The Passion of Lovers (especially the drumming)

i've been focusing on that Haskin bros rhythm section thru the first third of the peel out - as we get into the more meaty bits upcoming, much of the focus shifts more to Ash (guitar), and, of course, Peter.

but David J have been the star thus far - and Kevin Haskins (drumner) has been his usual solid self ... cat has a very distinct style of playing, both sonically & physically - reminds me a ton of Charlie Watts in those respects (so maybe not as distinct, but rare enuff) - not a big banger or a pounder or a sledge - but can groove and swing and duck and fill with deft precision - achingly versatile, if not understated, for the most part.

much like Charlie, he keeps impeccable time, answers every shape shift - and, most importantly, keeps that bass well within reach at all times.

the Haskins are a criminally unsung backbone in the annals of all music, not just the goff genre, of which they were the kings.

Led to a conversation about AC/DC and OH declaring that Malcolm Young was the best rhythm guitarist of all time. Thoughts?

Maybe whoever played alongside Keith Richards. Like when Ronnie Wood did. Maybe Izzy Straddlin from Guns N' Roses.

But the list I just looked at from Guitar World agrees with OH.

That reads a lot like a list of best guitarists period instead of just players who didn't want to make it cry or sing.

I'd include Lou Reed and Carlos Alomar in the strictly rhythm category.

ETA: Steve Cropper at #24 is ridiculous
Yeah there’s surely some lead guitarist on that list.
Chuck Berry? Prince? Andy Summers? Bo Dudley? Alex Lifeson? Mark Knopfler? Hendrix? Eddie Van Halen.
Just silly.

:lmao: I just started loading the 19s into the 18s playlist.
Waking and baking?

:lmao: I just started loading the 19s into the 18s playlist.
Wake and bake?
:lol:

I will say that IF there was a day this would be nice it would be a day like today - nice breezy morning in the 70s, the son is taking the younger one to summer school... You guys are starting to talk me into this. ;)

Led to a conversation about AC/DC and OH declaring that Malcolm Young was the best rhythm guitarist of all time. Thoughts?

Maybe whoever played alongside Keith Richards. Like when Ronnie Wood did. Maybe Izzy Straddlin from Guns N' Roses.

But the list I just looked at from Guitar World agrees with OH.

That reads a lot like a list of best guitarists period instead of just players who didn't want to make it cry or sing.

I'd include Lou Reed and Carlos Alomar in the strictly rhythm category.

ETA: Steve Cropper at #24 is ridiculous
Yeah there’s surely some lead guitarist on that list.
Chuck Berry? Prince? Andy Summers? Bo Dudley? Alex Lifeson? Mark Knopfler? Hendrix? Eddie Van Halen.
Just silly.
I think a lot of people confused "riff writer/player" with "rhythm guitarist."

However, I do think Pete Townshend belongs there. He did play lead but on many songs he was a fantastic rhythm player who let John Entwhistle and Keith Moon take the spotlight.

But mostly, I hate being messy when I eat and especially eating with my hands while doing so. I also don't eat corn on the cob and wings very rarely (and only if boneless isn't an option so I can comsume via fork :bag: ). Strike two.

I get this - I tend to like foods that are easy to eat. I do love me some ribs (and can cook up some great ones), but I prefer them fairly defined and easy to pick up. Similarly with corn - I don't want the entire thing slathered in butter - let me the pick it up without butter dripping down my wrist, thank you. Wings... they are like sunflower seeds to me in that they are an awful lot of work for a scant payoff. I love a good burger but don't like places that make them so big and full of toppings that they become hard to eat - that's annoying.

I don't remember ever getting stung by a bee, but I've been stung by various wasps many times. Not fun.

I had to stop somewhere with my thoughts and rambles on the 19s playlist, so this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as my positive thoughts on the music. Mostly will stick to stuff I haven't talked about much. This was the first one for me that had 0 skips, but also all 46 I liked, so that replay was full replays of the list, not just the main ones I'm adding in as usual. Just from entering the list, the 18s are looking strong too - can't wait.

19s:

Gone Shootin' - oh my, that groove. I don't remember hearing this one, but it's perfect AC/DC. Groove that is dangerous but sexy, boring *** drummin ;), and fantastic Angus solo. Love it.
Warren Zevon is 50/50 with me, but this is an era/sound I can get into more. I couldn't think come up with a concrete why, though.
Hold Steady is a band I LOVED for a brief bit and listened to Boys and Girls In America on a loop, but never stuck with them. Like many, I'd guess a good bit is Craig's delivery. IMO this is the perfect mix for them as the band's musicianship is on display a bit more. I'm looking forward to more from the recent era I've largely not heard.

I plan to listen to the vast majority of playlists after we are done with this. The exceptions will be artists I didn't click with at least 50% of songs on or artists I am mostly familiar with and already added the songs I liked to the playlist - Rush, for example. Where I am going with this is that with the recent run of likes and my lack of mentions - Eephus' playlist is offically on that list since I have been loving the string of Blur tunes, especially Young and Lovely. I was already on board with Taylor Swift, and the other new comer Steiner has been getting most of the songs liked and that playlist will be visited too. The Fagan tunes have been new to me and great.

Slade has been one that has grown on me and I've liked the last couple as well. I added Tues' pick and another now. The album cover, though. :lmao:
Bauhaus is the last hold out for my favorites list, and probably the biggest surprise of the 19s for me. I can get on board with this sound - great stuff.
The Kinks are another artist that hold me at arms length, and I haven't connected with. That said, I have genuinely likee the last few here and found myself nodding to this one a lot. This is a bit in Elton John territory for me - to get me to add a few songs on a playlist is high praise - kudos to Galileo here.
5 Minutes is by far my favorite Stranglers so far.
Follow the Lights - ****in' gorgeous song. :wub:
Paper Lanterns is one of my favorite Green Day songs. I love the sound of that album.
There's the Girl is another great 80s Heart track. sounds like Middle School. Love it.

I get this - I tend to like foods that are easy to eat. I do love me some ribs (and can cook up some great ones), but I prefer them fairly defined and easy to pick up. Similarly with corn - I don't want the entire thing slathered in butter - let me the pick it up without butter dripping down my wrist, thank you. Wings... they are like sunflower seeds to me in that they are an awful lot of work for a scant payoff. I love a good burger but don't like places that make them so big and full of toppings that they become hard to eat - that's annoying.

I don't remember ever getting stung by a bee, but I've been stung by various wasps many times. Not fun.
This too! I just had a burger a bit ago that was delicious, but I'll never order it again because it was so damn messy.

I also generally don't like foods touching each other, so boy do I hate Thanksgiving. ;)

No bee stings here, at least that I’m aware of. I’ve had ribs many times, wasn’t a big fan.

Any other major questions for the day?
Do you like gladiator movies?
I was going to ask everybody how many times they attempted to sing along to your Clutch song before giving up. :lol: I can't get sequence right.
I've been singing it for years and not sure I always get it right but who can tell? Lol

Very surprised that anyone who has primarily lived in the US and reached the status of "middle aged dummy" would have never had a rib unless due to having chosen to be vegan, vegetarian, etc. I don't eat them often, but they are truly great when cooked well, and there is plenty of variety. Highly recommend. 🍖

We were out for drinks and heard friends of the thread Steely Dan, AC/DC, Chicago, and maybe others I've forgotten. Led to a conversation about AC/DC and OH declaring that Malcolm Young was the best rhythm guitarist of all time. Thoughts?
As a non musician it's impossible for me to judge but I know the more I listen closely I can understand why some would say this. In the past i would just assume any obvious licks in their songs would be from Angus but now I can see that it's Malcolm in many of these. My next selection, later today, is a great example of him being more up front in the song.

I've always like this quote from Angus:

When asked if he thought that he was one of the best guitarists in rock, Angus Young famously replied, "I'm not even the best guitarist in my family!" (referring to Mal, of course)

Hold Steady is a band I LOVED for a brief bit and listened to Boys and Girls In America on a loop, but never stuck with them. Like many, I'd guess a good bit is Craig's delivery. IMO this is the perfect mix for them as the band's musicianship is on display a bit more. I'm looking forward to more from the recent era I've largely not heard.
The first two records with shouty, extra-nasal Craig are my favorites but that may be despite the delivery rather than because of it. Even post singing-lessons (i.e., around the time they were recording BAGIA), I wouldn't exactly call his voice pleasant.

My next two entries are from more recent records so we'll see by Sunday if the more "mature" sound fits the bill for you.

The Decemberists
#18 The Mariner's Revenge Song

The first selection from 2005's Picaresque, which Pitchfork included as some of the year's Best Music.
Picaresque captures the band in peak form, packing in exotic instrumentation that creates a lush and evocative backdrop to Colin Meloy's story-songs, which here are more colorful-- and more topical-- than ever.

The Mariner's Revenge Song per Songfacts:
This song is about a young boy whose mother takes in a teenager who turns out to be a wreck. The teenager ruins the boy and his mother's life, as the mother dies and the boy gets left out on the streets. The boy grows up and receives a job as a mariner aboard a boat. Aboard the boat, he battles a giant whale, and eventually the entire crew ends up stomached. The boy survives, and by some odd chance, the teenager he once knew a long time ago ends up the only other survivor with him inside the whale.

Also from Songfacts:
This song is a trademark Decemberists act, being their most popular number at live performances. The typical performance line-up: Chris Funk on mandolin, Nate Query on stand-up bass and bowed bass, Colin Meloy on vocals and guitar, John Moen on floor tom and Jenny Conlee on accordion. This ensemble is accompanied sometimes by a prop whale's jaw, with the audience being encouraged to scream in terror during the whale attack.

Which is why this song ranks lower for me than I'd guess a lot of Decemberists fans would have it. Having seen it performed this way live, I got an annoying feeling that we were headed for Jimmy-Buffett-fan-parrothead territory.
:shudder:

Anyway, it's still a good song.

We are two mariners
Our ships' sole survivors
In this belly of a whale :fishy:
Its ribs are ceiling beams
Its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

Kevin Haskins (drumner) has been his usual solid self ... cat has a very distinct style of playing, both sonically & physically - reminds me a ton of Charlie Watts in those respects (so maybe not as distinct, but rare enuff) - not a big banger or a pounder or a sledge - but can groove and swing and duck and fill with deft precision - achingly versatile, if not understated, for the most part.

much like Charlie, he keeps impeccable time, answers every shape shift - and, most importantly, keeps that bass well within reach at all times.

the Haskins are a criminally unsung backbone in the annals of all music, not just the goff genre, of which they were the kings.

The apple doesn't fall from from the tree. Haskins' daughter Lola Dompe plays the drums for LA girl group Automatic.

It's probably because I've lived in a coastal city for half my life but I wonder if bee stings are less frequent than they were in the past. I was stung three times as a child/teen including two times within a month when I was 16 but haven't been stung since.

Kevin Haskins (drumner) has been his usual solid self ... cat has a very distinct style of playing, both sonically & physically - reminds me a ton of Charlie Watts in those respects (so maybe not as distinct, but rare enuff) - not a big banger or a pounder or a sledge - but can groove and swing and duck and fill with deft precision - achingly versatile, if not understated, for the most part.

The apple doesn't fall from from the tree. Haskins' daughter Lola Dompe plays the drums for LA girl group Automatic.

good lookin' out, will check 'em out with my (soon to be 18! yr old) daughter - i'm slowly introducing the 'haus to her ... she's diggin' it so far

If anyone ever asks you define “the Jersey Shore Sound” just point them to Sherry Darling.
Although it’s a pretty unlikely scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread