What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (1 Viewer)

♥️ 18's

Big Thief - Was first out of the shuffle, great way to start!
Ryan Adams - Enjoying a lot of "new to me" RA songs.
Dinosaur Jr. - I usually don't make it through most of their songs, but I liked this one. Reminded me of 90's grunge?
Police - top 5ish Police song for me.
The Kinks rock! That is all.
The Stranglers - I would have loved to continue the song (only got 20 seconds) but my dogs kept going apeshit at the "ding" triangle sound. I'll give it another go.
Gorillaz - So chill, liked it a lot.

Made it through a lot of songs I usually don't. (I won't name names.)

Got tricked twice (because I had it on shuffle) Thought Stevie Ray was Ray Charles (amazing btw) for about 10 seconds, and that was after hearing "Hit the Road". And I thought the ELO song was Chicago until the vocals.

Speaking of Chicago, since I had it on shuffle, the part 1 and 2 got separated, but that's ok because it was a double dose of goodness.
Not a huge Springsteen fan but I always liked this one. I seem to like most everything played so far, so maybe I am a fan. Guy can write a song.
Rush, best intro ever.
Brandi Carlile can sing!

Some 18s

You're My Best Friend - My favorite 👑 tune.
Technologic - That helium sounding voice made me smile instantly.
Destroyer - LIGHT THE FUSE AND START ERUPTION 😱
Working Man - This is a rocking song.
Unpleasant Breakfast - Dig those horns, and good things usually always follow a piano glissando and good things did. Also, I kinda like those whoos.
Minha Teimosia, Uma Arm... - la la la la 🌞
10:03 - Laid back > fast track > slicked back.

Be back

Last edited:
#19s

"June Hymn" might be my favorite yet from The Decemberists. The guitar, especially in the intro, sounds very much like Dan Bern's "Jerusalem." Since I love that song, that's a-OK with me.

Speaking of guitars, loved them on ...'s "Awestruck," too.

"Untitled #3" by Sigur Ros reminded me of the airplane playlist's I seek out when I just want to chill and relax and not ****ing sleep since I can't sleep on planes no matter how long the trip. But anyway, I find those playlists to be very peaceful, as with this song. Coming to a flight near me sometime soon.

I was hoping Daft Punk's "Revolution 909" was going to involve some mosh of the Beatles' "Revolution 9" and "One After 909," but it wasn't meant to be. Good song, though.

Frank Black's "Jane the Queen of Love" was a big wow.

I couldn't figure out where "When the Sun Rose Again" by Alice in Chains was going, and it turned out the answer was "basically nowhere" and that I was fine with that. Second-best song I've heard from them.

Blur's "Young and Lovely" was indeed lovely. No position on whether it was young.

"Skin and Bone" from the Foo Fighters benefited greatly from my two-minute rule, as the build and progression earned it a place on my playlist.

I can't imagine a more beautiful thing.

🌽

There's a guy at my local farmers market who has the best corn I've ever tasted. It's not ready until around Labor Day, but he knows I'll be there buying a ton for the month or so he has it. Unfortunately, since the market starts at the beginning of April, that means that if I drop by his booth for anything else in the ensuing five months, he keeps talking to me about corn. I've realized I have long ago reached the end of my corn chit-chat capabilities, so I have to avoid him a lot of weeks.

🌽

There's a guy at my local farmers market who has the best corn I've ever tasted. It's not ready until around Labor Day, but he knows I'll be there buying a ton for the month or so he has it. Unfortunately, since the market starts at the beginning of April, that means that if I drop by his booth for anything else in the ensuing five months, he keeps talking to me about corn. I've realized I have long ago reached the end of my corn chit-chat capabilities, so I have to avoid him a lot of weeks.

This is the perfect Curb Your Enthusiasm episode. “The Corn Guy”

Prodigy 19/18 write up:

Your Love - Experience was released at the peak of rave culture, and this is the track I've selected that probably most reflects the genre, or at least the Prodigy's interpretation of it. First hitting the market as a B-side to a track we'll feature later, the slightly remixed/edited track appeared on the album proper and still works extremely nicely as a floor filler today, with the intensity of the drum beats combined with the piano-based drops, it's superbly well written

One Love - This is a bit of a weird one, released prior to Music for the Jilted Generation but working as an initial single, it's a touch of an in between track trying to bridge the rave/techno ethos of Experience to the newer direction that Jilted has. Incredibly frantic with high bpm, I've gone for the 12" version on their singles collection, this is a slightly shorter edit from what the original single version was, but nowhere near the butchering that the edit which got onto the album was - Liam, in his infinite wisdom, didn't realise the actual length that a CD could hold, so had to cut down the album version by a good two minutes in order for everything to fit onto the master, later saying they could have dropped this as well as Full Throttle (not in the list I've picked) from the final album lineup, which is understandable given the general feel of the album in retrospect

Having the "something love" tracks back to back is purely coincidental btw

Knee high by the 4th of July

Only knew 8 of the 18's thanks to deep cuts from Heart and AC/DC, both of which were enjoyable.
Going to only give shout outs to artists who have been very hit or miss for me .
This Is It- fav by him so far
Charlie's Medicine
Silent Running- liked the first 3+ minutes but kind of loses me towards the end. Still a solid trach tho
3 Shadows Part 2

Exactly 3 weeks from now I will be heading back to my seat and waiting for Clutch to come onstage. Hopefully I'll recognize some of the songs by opener Dinosaur Jr thanks to this thread
I would say a few?

I scanned the last few Dino show setlists, and I saw anywhere from 4 to 9 songs from my playlist on sets. BUT in 3 weeks we won't be done with the countdown and a couple I saw were at the top of my list. I could send you my list early if you want a few more.

OR I could give you a bonus playlist - my next 31 Dino tracks. :bag: I randomly put in the newest album and started obsessing about how good it was, WTF was I thinking cutting these tracks, etc. so I am mostly through the next playlist.

Damon Albarn Song #18

Gorillaz feat. Adeleye Omotayo - "Silent Running" from Cracker Island (2023)

I wanted to choose an artist who's still near the peak of his game. Both Gorillaz and Blur are headlining stadium and releasing albums of new material this year. "Silent Running" is off of Cracker Island which came out in February. It's a sunny piece of pop goodness that has a bit of yacht rock feel to my ears. Maybe it's the whistling.

Gorillaz are known for recording collaborations with a broad range of featured artists ranging from Stevie Nicks and Lou Reed to Bad Bunny and Vince Staples. It's a sign of Albarn's generosity that a featuring credit is given to longtime Gorillaz touring backup singer Adeleye Omotayo for essentially doing backup vocals on this song.

Spotify https://open.spotify.com/track/0ZGWe02EtMpw40QAzOVZD1

Live premiere of the song in Montevideo, Uruguay 2022

Some more 18s

Strange Little Girls - Sounds different than their other stuff thus far. I like it.
Harder to Forgive - This is good, but I think it is harder to forget than to forgive.
Charlie's Medicine - I wasn't expecting the cool guitar solo in this one.
Life Without You - Nice song from Stevie Ray. His voice does sound a little different when he isn't singing with his full strong voice. I like the guitar at the end.
Pitseleh - I really liked that piano in the middle of the song. I didn't want it to stop.

New-to-me songs from #18 that I particularly liked:

Harder to Forgive -- Brandi Carlile. Great vocal.
Interstate 8 -- Modest Mouse. Slightly unhinged but always interesting.
Life Without You -- Stevie Ray Vaughn. I find this style more compelling than the all wailing, all the time that many of his songs do.
Catatonic -- Trail of Dead. Kind of similar to the Worlds Apart song that I really want to show up.
Pitseleh -- Elliott Smith
This Is It -- Ryan Adams. Sounds more like alt-rock than alt-country. Even kinda like Phoenix in some spots.
In the Time of My Ruin -- Frank Black
Charlie's Medicine -- Warren Zevon. Great story and it rocks.
Can't Stand Still -- AC/DC. 🎸
Unpleasant Breakfast -- The Hold Steady. Gets a nice groove going, but I'm not sure how I feel about the ooooooooohs.
Silent Running -- Gorillaz

MAD related music news - my 8 year old added @simey's #18 to her favorites playlist.

Then while we were coloring we had another talk about different versions of songs and why I prefer her to listen to the older versions. See, my wife and I refused to let our kids listen to that Kids Bop crap. I would curate their playlists in that I threw a ton of songs at them that I knew I could listen to over and over and not want to murder somebody, but then whatever they didn't like they could toss. Worked 100% with the oldest. FF to this year and the parents down the street let their kids listen to that crap so of course my daughter started adding those to her playlist because she hangs out with them a little. :rant:

Anyway - she had Mr. Blue Sky on there but some crap version, so since she had other ELO on there we played it and talked about the differences. She decided that the ELO version has more instruments. Also toward the end of the song - "the other version didn't have a robot, either". :lmao: She now has BOTH versions of the song on her playlist. I'll take it.

🌽

Is this him?

#18s

I've never wanted to look up Jorge Ben Jor lyrics until "Minha Teimosia, Uma Arma Pra Te Conquistar." This song exuded such lightness and joy, just a complete delight, so I wanted to read them. But then I thought, what if the lyrics turn out to be about genocide or Muppet torture or something? I'm not going to risk it.

Chicago's "Dialogue" and ELO's "So Fine" both had the feeling of sitting outside on a beautiful breezy day, loving life, or maybe driving with the windows open. I'm also not going to focus on the lyrics of those. "Hit The Road Jack" is the ultimate driving with the windows down song.

"Harder to Forgive" by Brandi Carlile was my favorite from her thus far, and SRV's "Life Without You" might have been, too.

That Genesis song! "Mad Man Moon" got a wow. The Stranglers' "Strange Little Girl" did as well. Now I don't remember why.

"Olsen olsen" was the second Sigur Ros song in a row that I'd like to have on my airplane playlist. I mean that very positively.

Round 18 Highlights

Really liked the new to me selections from Modest Mouse, Big Thief, Daft Punk, The Stranglers, Ryan Adams, Frank Black, Dino Jr.

Some great old to me picks from Police, AIC, Ray, Bruce, and Elton.

Kinks - I love this song. One of my favorites of theirs.

Doves - I listened to this album while BBQing this past weekend. I remember this was one of my favorites but the whole thing was great.

Spoon - I took this song in the mid-year 2022 draft. Great tune.

Lots of other great stuff too that I didn’t call out.

I don't have too much to say about my last 2 picks, Ghost and Fuego, other than I love them. But I know neither of these are very accessible to newcomers.

Both are vehicles for great jams. I'll admit it took me some time to warm up to Ghost. But Fuego instantly knocked my socks off.

Anatomy of a song: Fuego
0:10 - 1:45 Just love everything about this. The lyrics humor me.
1:44 Audience call back, not very apparent in this clip.
1:48 Love to scream at this part
2:29 Change in tempo. Where are we?
3:35 - 4:00 this transition then Trey's guitar and the Whoa oooh part - pure bliss
5:34 - "What are they talking about??"
6:00 jam starts, gets very mellow around 11:15.
11:58 songs almost seems to end, but just starting a very slow build over the next 5 minutes.
Love the crowd shot at 16:47. I can almost identify every different phish fan persona in this.

The cats and I were all much more disturbed by the vocal on this song

Please allow me to use this to piggyback a thought off of. This isn't singling you out, k4, this is exactly what I was thinking about as I looked at my list as submitted once it became final and I couldn't change it.

My worry throughout this exercise was that I picked too many songs that wound up with computerized vocals. This happened during their album Human After All, which came out in 2005 and befuddled critics and audiences with its distance and computer vocals. Really, the bulk of their material for this list should have come from Homework, Discovery, and Random Access Memories. I fear that the inclusion of Alive 2007 and all of its reliance on Human After All (it was the tour that supported the album) would give people the idea that Daft Punk meant mechanized voices.

It is not the case, and any belief in that must be attributed to the person who created the list. The list is Alive 2007-heavy, though for good reasons. First off, the live album is excellent. Secondly, it's an example of what Daft Punk does at their best. Thirdly, it's also so good that it won a Grammy as an underdog that year. (Not that the Grammys mean anything about music when artists are excluded -- that's not the case. But the artists that win are generally worth listening to and usually for good reason.)

But yeah, for all the MADs -- I wouldn't come away with the impression that Daft Punk relies heavily on computerized voices. That's one album, and is generally considered their nadir.

Thanks for allowing me to piggyback off of your comment to address a broader fear about the list-maker's decision in all of this -- that there were too many computerized vox songs and those vox detracted from the dance party going on.

Last edited:
18s thoughts. Commenting on every song so may be violating some thumper rules.

Time Heals - is this Hall and Oates?

Minha Teimosia, uma Arma pra te Conquistar - Favorite so far from this artist. I do have to admit I have a negative bias against foreign language songs. Even though I often don't understand English lyrics I hear, foreign lyrics seem to distract me from the music while English seems to be a background to it. If that makes sense.

Harder to Forgive - just riding that border of being too country, but not enough for me not to enjoy.

Driven To Tears - such an underappreciated gem

Interstate 8 - seems like a song I wouldn't typically like, but I'm a sucker for Brock's vocals.

Mad Man Moon - new to me. Maybe my new favorite Genesis song.

Life Without You - SRV just isn't my thing. I enjoy blues in a small smoky club like anyone else, but it's not something I make an effort to listen to. However, this one was good. Maybe because it didn't seem like he was trying to be too bluesy?

The Mariner's Revenge Song - fun. Love this guy's voice.

Catatonic - music good. Singing not so much.

Destroyer - classic, enjoy the chorus, but the rest of the song is basically All Day and All of the Night, which I find to be irritating after 7 seconds.

Working Man - despite overplayed on classic rock stations, still one of my favorite Rush tunes.

Olsen twins - another candidate for sleep playlist

The Nightfly - Fagen and Steely Dan evokes a weird feeling in me that is difficult to put in words. Like a some type of time warp to a time that was 10-15 years before my time that I shouldn't be experiencing.

American Eulogy: Mass Hysteria/Modern World - my son loves this

Time Escaping - more good stuff

Technologic - and there are people in here that say Phish is "too weird". I'd still dance to it.

Coney Island - like the third or fourth song that has struck me as "wow I didn't know she had songs like this". The addition of Matt Berninger's baritone doesn't hurt.

Pitseleh - more evidence I need to listen to this guy more.

Dialogue Parts I & II - see comment on Pitseleh. I love horns.

Strange Little Girl - I dig it

This Is It - hearted

What's That You're Doing - never heard this but suddenly have the urge to go roller skating

Dapple Rose - whoa where did this come from. I should have recorded myself and made one of those first time reaction videos.

So Fine - more horns! ELO wants me to drive around with my windows down and just point at people smile.

In The Time Of My Ruin - hearted

Nero's Fiddle - I appreciate that whoever picked this really likes it

I Want You to Know - more goodness

Charlie's Medicine - another artist I don't "get". But I didn't need a spoonful of sugar to get this one down.

Them Bones - I don't think I've commented in AIC yet. These songs are the soundtrack of my college years. I don't necessarily love them, but definitely gives me "feels".

You're My Best Friend - I'm realizing the only Queen songs that I know are those that were overplayed on classic rock radio when that was my thing, and now it just doesn't feel fresh to me.

Can't Stand Still - speaking of bands ruined for me - I'm not going to say by classic rock, but by my obsession with classic rock for a period of time in my life and that affect on me listening to other things I should have. With that said, this is not familiar, so it's bearable. Also nostalgic sound, reminds me of early 80's and hearing this band from the rooms of my buddies' older brothers.

Unpleasant Breakfast - have been enjoying these Hold Steady songs. Am I the only that gets Craig Finn and Bob Mould mixed up? Which one is this?

Silent Running - best song from them yet. They haven't really been my thing. I love songs with whistling.

Hit The Road Jack - can't deny the greatness of this one

10:03 - hearted

The Hardest Cut - this countdown has made me realize that I need to make an effort to see them live. I missed an opportunity last year.

Miracle - it's hard not to like even the songs of theirs I don't like. That makes sense to me, don't worry about it.

At The Zoo - these harmonies bring back a lot of my memories of my parents listening to their records. Wants me to cite a phrase I hate, "simpler times".

Tunnel of Love - good nostalgia factor for me, but not my favorite Bruce

One Love - would dance

The Three Shadows Part II - duuuuuuuuude this is cool

City's Burning - good energy here with some pretty subtle Zep undertones. I actually prefer when they're more blatant about it.

Looking for a Place to Happen - hearted

Suckfest9001 - don't feel it's fair for me to comment on this because I haven't heard the first 9000 suckfests

Honky Cat - great tune. I feel like somehow Elton is underrated, even though he's very highly rated. It's like I forget he has all these songs that I only hear once every 5 years.

Dennis Elsas

He still does a terrific show called the "Fab Forum" with Bill Flanagan on the Beatles Channel.

good to know - guy has been at it for a looooong time, and were always one to stand back and let the artists/music do the talking, so to speak - WNEW-FM were the flagship of it's ilk here in the states, and much of the on air talent were marinating a tad too much in their own juices - but Elsas (and Richard Neer) always kept it light, and both came across as being just another fan of the music, rather than implying that you were graced to be around their magnificence - i mean, Tony Pigg? really, fellas?

oooffahh.

the AM jocks were less self-important, but ran a ridiculous amount of schtick - but ya knew that going in ... they had fun with their audience, unlike the FM cats who sorta became part of the AOR elitism tier themselves.

@KarmaPolice , did you ever find out what happened to your kitty? (I hope it's OK to ask; saw your avatar and thought of it.)
It's OK to ask.

No, not officially. My wife asked when I made "the call" if I wanted her or ask for a necropsy, but I didn't want that. I laughed a little at your post because it was a contest to get him to eat anything that wasn't his dry food. I would toss some turkey on the floor for him at Thanksgiving, and he would look offended. No cat nip, no treats. Anyway, I knew that and was confident he didn't eat something. I asked her if she noticed anything and she said she couldn't feel any lumps, no signs of struggle or eating something (froth/vomit/blood in his mouth), etc. So she said by far the most likely was that he had some underlying heart condition (common enough in cats) and threw a clot.

I was kicking myself for not taking and saving enough pictures, and there was a very specific picture I thought I lost, but thankfully it was one of my 3 Facebook posts that year so social media, so I finally found a good use for that app. That really helped in the healing because it was the first time he snuggled up in my neck in his signature way and I hadn't realized how happy he looked. Also on there were some of his kitten pictures on there like the avatar and we were all gushing about how tiny he was. I realized this week how much we seemed to have gotten in the habit of chilling on the computer with him on me early in the morning. The other demons are with my wife in the bed and don't come out until they hear me getting food, so Ripper would sit by me a lot and seemed the most annoyed when one of them would interrupt computer time at any time of day. Until I get a bigger picture to put by my computer area this has helped a lot seeing the one I switched to.

Last edited:
☕️ easy Saturday mornin' cigs and coffee time 🚬

18, and i like 'em ...

Brandelinda Carlile - absolutely top notch work ... loving this artist a ton ❤️
ETA: definitely my favorite outta all the songs i've heard thus far during this exercise - soaring brilliance, just love her talent.

The Cops - bassine hooks ya, and Copeland won't let ya escape.

Decembers Children - hellz yes, would love to hear the Blaggards tackle this one 🏴‍☠️

Trail of Deads - ripping faces, thrill ride deluxe

Geddys - someone mentioned Zep upstream, but, nah ... this is pure Sabbath. love Alex channeling Iommi.

Sugar Rios continues to churn the most gorgeously lush aural sculptures - keeper

Dafty Ducks - woulda served wonderfully next to Swell Maps during my time in the powder room, it's frantic

Ry Adams Apple - pretty raw here, but never sacrificing the melody ... impressive work

Mr Slade - loved when the "glam" cats went this route, reminiscent of Ian & Mott

Dem Bonez really melts, Staley were such a presence ... doesn't get lost in the sludge

You're My Best Friend for including this one ... such a bright and snappy slice of pop ... NaTO were rife with classics, but this holds it's own quite well

Dovely ... kinda lo-fi shoegaze vibes here, anybody else? great stuff, that production slays

Tom n' Jerry at the Zoo - every field trip to the menagerie in Central Park, yes ... gets lost in their vast catalog, but always a favorite

The Hip kinda have a Smithereens vibe on this one ... when this style hits, it stays with ya

deadHaus ... took awhile to get underway, but enjoyed once it started frying

Reg pumped out so much classic stuff in the early/mid 70s that a slappy one like Honky Cat gets lost in the shuffle - dig this one for a long arse time.

spoke of Ray earlier, quoting Simey's post ... but "HtRJ" can never get enough love ❤️

Last edited:
... after repeated listens to "Harder to Forgive" - it scratches the Johnny Cash/Partridge Family/Tanya Tucker hybrid itch i never knew i had ... but, WAIT - there's more - a very Ziggy era Bowie-esque coda ! i mean, ferchrissakes, if this woman has 17 better n' this, then i really missed the boat 🚢

not sorry on the gush.

Plinko update, I had a rollercoaster of a week at work, despite the broken up four day week, and now I'm about a playlist and a half behind which I hate but hope to catch up today while tooling around. Getting ready for Chicago trip.

I heard a Ray song from an earlier playlist, kicking off a pretty terrible new movie I watched last night. And then when I went to bed I started watching the Brandi Carlisle special on MAX. Knocked me right out!

The last two ToD songs were from their 2012 album Lost Songs, which I dig, has a lot of big sounds on it, and there is yet one more to come from that record.. four in all from Lost Songs. Here is the video for Catatonic, in which Jason Reece does some super Oscar worthy acting.

Unfortunately this is the only nine letter C word on my list. I will let Pip kick me in the jimmy, and reveal/discuss the other one at his leisure.

Suckfest9001 - don't feel it's fair for me to comment on this because I haven't heard the first 9000 suckfests

:lmao:

That's brilliant.
That was good, but I laughed quite a bit about that top one. Great phrasing.
Yeah, these made me chuckle too.
I knew going in that most would hate 6-8 of my picks but wanted to make an actual playlist of my favs as opposed to 31 tracks I thought most would like.

That's brilliant.
I knew going in that most would hate 6-8 of my picks but wanted to make an actual playlist of my favs as opposed to 31 tracks I thought most would like.
What he said
My playlist is my favorite 31 Decemberists songs in the order I like them. Only exception is #31 as I wanted to start with a banger.
I hope people like them, but understand if some don't.

I went to see friend of the thread Trey Anastasio (Band) at the Stone Pony Summer Stage last night. The humidity (with only sporadic ocean breezes) made standing and dancing for three plus hours a bit tough by the end but it was a great show - so much fun. Great crowd - young and old - as well.

Thoughts on a few of the 18s that particularly stood out to me:

Brandi Carlile/Harder to Forgive - the opening lines hooked me ("I love the songs I hated when I was young because they take me back where I come from.") Distills my relationship to country in <20 words.

Decemberists/Mariner's Revenge Song - the most delightfully goofy epic ever? Didn't want it to end.

Kinks/Destroyer - perfect song for a summer dog walk. put a spring in my step.

Rush/Working Man - I'm sure it's been discussed a zillion times in Rush forums (and maybe even here) but what happens to Rush if John Rutsey stays in the band and Neil Peart doesn't join? Do they attain a middling classic rock legacy by pumping out more great but straightforward songs like Working Man?

Chicago/Dialogue - have consistently enjoyed early Chicago, but the alternating vocals on this one really helped it stand above for me.

Ryan Adams/This Is It - at the time, the stylistic shift of this record was really jarring. In hindsight, great song that fits right in with lots of other classics from the early aughts.

Stevie Wonder/What's That You're Doing? - shuke mentioned roller skating and that's exactly where my mind went too. Didn't know I knew this but it was a staple of the funky grooves from Skateland saturday nights.

Ray Charles/Hit the Road Jack - so much fun...

Bauhaus/The Three Shadows Part 2 - pale Petey really gets the showcase on this one.

That's brilliant.
What he said
My playlist is my favorite 31 Decemberists songs in the order I like them. Only exception is #31 as I wanted to start with a banger.
I hope people like them, but understand if some don't.
I had never heard of them but have liked just about everything so far!

Plinko update, I had a rollercoaster of a week at work, despite the broken up four day week, and now I'm about a playlist and a half behind which I hate but hope to catch up today while tooling around. Getting ready for Chicago trip.

I heard a Ray song from an earlier playlist, kicking off a pretty terrible new movie I watched last night. And then when I went to bed I started watching the Brandi Carlisle special on MAX. Knocked me right out!

The last two ToD songs were from their 2012 album Lost Songs, which I dig, has a lot of big sounds on it, and there is yet one more to come from that record.. four in all from Lost Songs. Here is the video for Catatonic, in which Jason Reece does some super Oscar worthy acting.

Unfortunately this is the only nine letter C word on my list. I will let Pip kick me in the jimmy, and reveal/discuss the other one at his leisure.
Excuse me while I caterwaul.

Thoughts on a few of the 18s that particularly stood out to me:

Brandi Carlile/Harder to Forgive - the opening lines hooked me ("I love the songs I hated when I was young because they take me back where I come from.") Distills my relationship to country in <20 words.

Decemberists/Mariner's Revenge Song - the most delightfully goofy epic ever? Didn't want it to end.

Kinks/Destroyer - perfect song for a summer dog walk. put a spring in my step.

Rush/Working Man - I'm sure it's been discussed a zillion times in Rush forums (and maybe even here) but what happens to Rush if John Rutsey stays in the band and Neil Peart doesn't join? Do they attain a middling classic rock legacy by pumping out more great but straightforward songs like Working Man?

Chicago/Dialogue - have consistently enjoyed early Chicago, but the alternating vocals on this one really helped it stand above for me.

Ryan Adams/This Is It - at the time, the stylistic shift of this record was really jarring. In hindsight, great song that fits right in with lots of other classics from the early aughts.

Stevie Wonder/What's That You're Doing? - shuke mentioned roller skating and that's exactly where my mind went too. Didn't know I knew this but it was a staple of the funky grooves from Skateland saturday nights.

Ray Charles/Hit the Road Jack - so much fun...

Bauhaus/The Three Shadows Part 2 - pale Petey really gets the showcase on this one.
Rush without Peart is probably just another one of those “boogie bands” that got followings in the early and mid 70s but fizzled out by around 1980. Their best-case scenario would be something like Foghat.

The vocals on #17 Chicago are… not like Dialogue at all.

Users who are viewing this thread