What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Martz new Bears OC (1 Viewer)

Can we can an over/under on the first Martz/Tice fist fight?

Tice: We should run the ball more.

Martz: We wouldn't have to if you're offensive line could block better.

Tice: Well if you're system didn't require them to hold blocks for 14 and half seconds...

:lol:

not to mention the nice fights between Moronelli and Martz. I think this will be a trainwreck with the personalities on the coaching staff.

There are a lot of former head coaches. I wonder how much ego-clashing is going to happen this season.
Can the Bears hire Mike Sherman too...and just be a whole team coached by ex NFC North coaches (Marinelli, Martz, Tice...) they just need some former Packer coach representation.

There are a lot of former head coaches. I wonder how much ego-clashing is going to happen this season.
Can the Bears hire Mike Sherman too...and just be a whole team coached by ex NFC North coaches (Marinelli, Martz, Tice...) they just need some former Packer coach representation.
Why not Forest Gregg...to even out the rivalry with Rodgers?
Take Bart Starr...he sucked as a coach. :rant:

Take Bart Starr...he sucked as a coach. :rant:
Probably should snag a TB coach too....just so the whole Central can be back together...Gruden or Wyche would be sufficient.

Take Bart Starr...he sucked as a coach. :goodposting:
Probably should snag a TB coach too....just so the whole Central can be back together...Gruden or Wyche would be sufficient.
"Hey, we're getting the band back together."

Seems like a puzzling hire for an offense that has long prided itself on grinding it out in the trenches.

not to mention the nice fights between Moronelli and Martz. I think this will be a trainwreck with the personalities on the coaching staff.
Maybe the "coach effect" will distract everyone long enough that management will be able to throw Lovie from the train without blinking an eye... Or maybe things work themselves out? ;) Either way, Lovie better learn to stop-drop-and-roll. It's gonna be a long off-season...

Take Bart Starr...he sucked as a coach. :wall:
Lovie....

There was a time when Mike Martz coached RBs were all but guaranteed to get a ton of touches and score a boatload of TDs (believe it or not no one runs the ball more inside the 5 than Mike Martz). The magic is probably gone but it should not be entirely forgotten.

Seems like a puzzling hire for an offense that has long prided itself on grinding it out in the trenches.
I think the trade for Cutler signaled the end of that mind set.Someone in the organization wants a high scoring QB-driven offense.I think that someone will not be with the team next year (unless her name is Virginia).

Am I the only person who looks at this as an act of desperation. I would not hire an AC who was already a HC and especially won that won a SB as the OC and went to a SB as a HC two years later on the same team...how will Martz be happy being an OC for the Bears?

I actually think people will buy into more Cutler hype but I am thinking about watching most of these guys on other teams in leagues I compete in.

I just traded for FORTE in a dynasty league. Don't know if this is good or bad.
I have to go wth good on this one, if anyone on the bears is gonna be better because of this it's Forte. he's gonna continue to catch a lot of passes so if it's a ppr league that's great for you hell he may even catch more passes than before it's definitely possible, like a poor man's Marshall Faulk or something. And like the other fbg said no one runs the ball more inside the five than Martz.

I think this is a good choice given the options. As detailed in previous thread, given his reigns, Martz does produce.

Not sure the Bears are a grind-it-and-stop-em team anymore and Cutler is their future.

The ensures their place as the third best team in their division! :-)

No TE has ever caught more than 38 balls in a season under a Mike Martz offense, discuss please.
i'm sure that's already been discussed. Greg Olsen just fell in the rankings like a bowling ball through cheesecloth.
Those stats may be a bit misleading. It is the argument of cause and effect.Does Martz actually not throw to the TEs because of their position, or was it because Martz has never had a good TE like Olsen to use? Some people may argue that Vernon Davis is a good TE, but he really only seemed to have jumped into a more prominent role this past year.I don't know the answer but are Cam Cleeland, Ernie Conell, Brandon Manumaleuma, Roland Williams, Marcus Pollard and Vernon Davis the best set of TEs to make a judgment on that Martz just avoids TEs all together?

No TE has ever caught more than 38 balls in a season under a Mike Martz offense, discuss please.
i'm sure that's already been discussed. Greg Olsen just fell in the rankings like a bowling ball through cheesecloth.
Those stats may be a bit misleading. It is the argument of cause and effect.Does Martz actually not throw to the TEs because of their position, or was it because Martz has never had a good TE like Olsen to use? Some people may argue that Vernon Davis is a good TE, but he really only seemed to have jumped into a more prominent role this past year.

I don't know the answer but are Cam Cleeland, Ernie Conell, Brandon Manumaleuma, Roland Williams, Marcus Pollard and Vernon Davis the best set of TEs to make a judgment on that Martz just avoids TEs all together?
:goodposting: :kicksrock: :thumbup: If he wanted to exploit the TE...geez, I dunno...I guess he could have brought someone in that he wanted. Did he have a say on any of his QBs, RBs, and WRs over the years or did he just settle for whatever he could find?

Martz and Cutler should be a good fit. They probably deserve each other.The last 7 years for Martz-led offenses (2002-2008): 153 TDs, 157 INTs (average of 22-23) with an average of 51 sacks per year - this is right up Cutler's wheelhouse.Martz teams have averaged 15.8th best in scoring: 23, 9, 6, 9, 22, 19, 23.He basically gets a lot of yards, a bunch of turnovers, a ####-pile of sacks.So, a mediocre offense, and an aging defense. Can't wait!In before - "well now Martz has a HOF-caliber QB to work with."ETA - his terrible TD/INT ratio are not the result of one bad year - the BEST year was 2008 where it was 21-19 - this was one of only 2 years in the last 7 where his QB had more TDs than INTs.
:goodposting:

Help or Hurt Forte? I think it hurts him. Martz is pass happy
Since Forte is a good receiving back, I'd think it would help him in PPR leagues and hurt him a bit in non-PPR.
That's about right, imo, but it's important to note that his 2009 performance should be the baseline, i.e. he's going to be a pretty bad starting RB in fantasy terms in 2010. Do not count on 2008-type numbers from Forte ever again, unless something significant changes about his situation.

Help or Hurt Forte? I think it hurts him. Martz is pass happy
Since Forte is a good receiving back, I'd think it would help him in PPR leagues and hurt him a bit in non-PPR.
That's about right, imo, but it's important to note that his 2009 performance should be the baseline, i.e. he's going to be a pretty bad starting RB in fantasy terms in 2010. Do not count on 2008-type numbers from Forte ever again, unless something significant changes about his situation.
dont forget the bears have Kevin Jones, another catching RB, and martz may use both. im speculating and will know a bit more in the next few days and definitely what the plan is before the draft.

Can't wait to see Martz install his high-flyin', pass-happy offense with Jay Cutler slingin' the rock to all . . . those . . . great . . . receivers?

from a fantasy perspective.

the bears have some important pieces and if they make the right moves this offseason and they wont, they can turn this around real quick. If the bears get a #1 WR and the rest of the resources are spent on the O line, they can have a real good fantasy thing going there. that would make Aromashodu, Iglesias, Hester, Olsen, Forte and Smith contend to be the #2 and #3 WR option.

Last edited by a moderator:
The good news is, think of all of the candidates for the position of interim coach. They could replace the coach like 5 times before they run out of guys on staff who have NFL head coaching experience.

I think Marinelli will be named D-C soon. There's nobody else under consideration right now, and Lovie said he wanted to have the staff complete before the Super Bowl.

I would not be shocked to see Olson traded. You already have Dez Clark who is capable, and Olson has some value. With the Bears desperately needing draft picks, it would make sense.

Can't wait to see Martz install his high-flyin', pass-happy offense with Jay Cutler slingin' the rock to all . . . those . . . great . . . receivers?
3666 yards, 27 TDs this year to those same receivers.Any chance he improves on those numbers with Martz at OC? Has a Martz offense ever had fewer that 4000 passing yards?

The all-time passing attempts record for a season is 691 by Drew Bledsoe. Have to think Cutler has a shot at 650 if he stays healthy. A weak run blocking O-line plus a pass-happy O-C means 4 hour games. Cutler should put up ginormous numbers, but he may throw 30 picks also.

Users who are viewing this thread