What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Obscure Sports Moments That Really Bothered You (3 Viewers)

Dan Lambskin

Footballguy
so I was watching the Lightning/Rangers game last night and saw the OT winner and it reminded me of how disappointed I was as a 13 year old Wings fan when Nikolai Borschevsky scored the Game 7 winner in the 93 semi-finals to knock my Wings out. Still one of the most heartbreaking losses for me as a fan, even though it was just a semi-final game

so looking for similar stories from fans on situations like this (not looking for Bill Buckner or 2015 Seahawks Choke Job, but rather something that really got to you that was maybe only on a local level...doesn't even have to be a playoff game, just any game that really pissed you off an still sticks with you)

another one that always stuck with me was Tim Raines drilling a 2 run triple in the top of the 13th in the 1987 All Star Game...I was only 7 at the time so I actually still cared who won the All-Star game but I remember absolutely HATING Tim Raines from that point forward

Timberwolves not getting the #1 or #2 pick the year Shaq and Mourning came out of college. But yay they got Christian Laettner.

The 2008 Texas/Texas Tech game sticks out.

That one isn't exactly obscure though.

The 2004 Red River War was probably less known, but more upsetting. Lost to OU 12-0. Only Mack Brown and Greg Davis could hold Vince Young scoreless. What a couple of gutless cowards they were.

The 1998-9 AFC Championship game between the Jets and Broncos. Dedric Ward's fumble, specifically, which is I think where the obscurity would come in. I just remember him running free and getting stripped. Jets turned the ball over six times that day under Parcells, who had always sort of stressed not to do that. I thought they were a better team than the Broncos that year.

Also, the 1986 Hartford Whalers/Montreal Canadiens Game 7 Claude Lemieux with the OT winner while Tim Bothwell was on his knees. Hartford threw the Whale a parade. I just threw up period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Celtics had not one but two of the top three lottery selections. End up getting the #3 and #6 pick. So instead of Tim Duncan, they got Chauncey Billups and Ron mercer.

Sonics drated the key players to be good for a decade (Durant and Westbrook) and then were stolen by a couple of lying Okies and that POS David Stern.

Patriots secondary collapsing with three starters and a backup cramping up or throwing up on the sidelines. Manning, who had played poorly in the first half and really the whole postseason, leads a second half comeback to win 38-34. After throwing 3 tds and 7 ints in four postseason games. Manning wins his one and only ring. Despite claims at the time, there was no investigation into whether the Colts turned up the heat in the rca.

Since people are posting draft moments, there were a number of mock drafts that had the Wizards taking Kawhi Leonard in the 2011 NBA Draft. He was there. They took Jan Vesely.

Michigan losing to NC Chatlotte in the 1977 NCAA basketball tournament. Michigan was #1 in the country and I fully expected them to win it all.

Game 6 2010 NBA Finals. Kendrick Perkins tears his ACL in first quarter one win away from a 2nd title in 3 years. That was when Kendrick was the best space eater in the NBA. Lakers weren't getting into the paint at all, then once he was out Gasol had free reign under the bucket the rest of the series.

1989 AFC Divisional game between the Bills and the Browns. Bills lost 34-30 in a cold weather game that caused Scott Norwood to slip and miss on an extra point attempt but I'll always remember that game for Ronnie Harmon dropping the go ahead touchdown pass with under a minute left in the game. He had two hands on it and it just bounced away from him. I remeber Sports Illustrated having a three pic spread of the pass and the drop. Grrr...This game of course came between the Bills loss in the 1988 AFC Chamiponship game against the Bengals and the four straight Super Bowl appearances but at the time I was soo pissed at Harmon for killing what I thought was Super Bowl chance.

Timberwolves not getting the #1 or #2 pick the year Shaq and Mourning came out of college. But yay they got Christian Laettner.
I understand the sentiments and love the 20/20 hindsite. Agreed that Mn wanted/needed a big man and could have been a different franchise today had they gotten one. That being said, Laettner was perhaps the greatest college player of all time, so it isnt like they drafted third in a two player draft.

not sure if these are obscure or not:

Chargers v Pats Playoff game: On the next Patriots drive, Brady was intercepted by safety, Marlon McCree, who, rather than going down, tried for a return and was hit by Troy Brown and fumbled, with Caldwell recovering. :rant:

Dodgers v Cardinals: Jack Clark HR off Tom Neidenfuer in 85 :rant:

2012 Manchester City scores 2 goals late to come from behind and beat QPR and takes the English Premier League title on Goal Differential from Manchester United. :rant:

Carlos Rogers dropping a sure pick-6 against the Seahawks in the 2005 NFC Divisional Round. Skins could have gone up 10-0 early in that game and eventually lost 20-10.

Not really obscure, but the first one that came to mind was Tom Watson losing the British Open a few years ago when he three putted 18. Watson is from Kansas City, and that moment was so heart wrenching for me, knowing what that win would have meant for him at that age.

10u soccer, circa 1984. We were 9-0, playing a team that was 8-0-1. A win or a tie and we were champions. Down 2-1, a penalty kick was awarded to my team in the final minute. I led the team with probably 25 goals in the 9 games previous. Apparently 24 ####### feet wasnt wide enough for me and I kicked it wide right. :bag:

Like with others, I don't think this is obscure, but the biggest disappointment was the Tigers losing the '06 World Series. I will go to my grave believing they were the better team and just threw that series away (literally - like 10 errors on the pitchers).

Also - 2013 - the year Michigan went to the National Championship game. In the last regular season game of the season, Jordan Morgan missed a tap in as time expired to lose to Indiana. If that shot goes in, they win a share of the Big Ten title. That was very frustrating.

Celtics had not one but two of the top three lottery selections. End up getting the #3 and #6 pick. So instead of Tim Duncan, they got Chauncey Billups and Ron mercer.
Not obscure, but when Celtics picked Len Bias with the 2nd pick in 1986 and he died the next day.

Blazers-Pistons, 1990 finals, Game 4. Danny Young made a half-court shot at the buzzer to tie the game...........but the ball left his fingers about a half second after the buzzer sounded. Detroit went up 3 games to 1 and that was pretty much it for Portland.

Jack Squirek intercepting Joe Theismann in Super Bowl XVIII. Maybe too famous but the 11 year old me was devastated. Pete Kozma's 2012 NLDS hit in Game 5 to cap the comeback from 6-0 is my worst obscure adult memory. With hindsight, probably being born a Washington sports fan has bothered me most.

Jerry Rice fumbling the ball on the 5 yard line in the Dome and the refs giving him a TD anyway. And Shayne Graham missing 2 FGs in Seattle.

The Trey Junkin game.

NY Giants playoff game. Their long snapper got hurt so they signed Trey out of retirement for 1 game. They blow a huge lead. Trey botched several snaps during the game. Finally they drive for a game-winning FG attempt.

Knowing Trey has had trouble, they declare a lineman as an eligible WR. Sure enough, he blows another snap. The holder lobs the ball downfield just as the clock hits zero. The lineman is just about to grab it when he's absolutely mugged by a defender. Ball falls to the ground, but flags fly from everywhere. PI is obvious.

Game can't end on a defensive penalty, so Giants should get one untimed play from the spot of the foul, almost an extra point attempt for a game winner.

Nope... Head ref sees the flags and assumes they're for an illegal man downfield. Calls the penalty on NY and heads to the locker room while Coughlin screams at him. Never consults the other refs and calls the game over.

A few hours later word gets out about the mistake. The NFL issues a formal apology for the error. But the result stands.

Why not get both teams back on the field for one untimed down? 22 guys. That's all they would have needed. They're all there in the stadium. It's a playoff game. Make it right?

Nope. Wrong team moves on. Still mad.
I'll never forget that game. My friends I was with, the place I was at. Everything about the situation except for the minutia of the game. How absurd was the comeback? I bet it's in the top ten, probability-wise, for an important game. Didn't know the officials were that bad in their assessment. And Junkin lives that down to this day. He didn't want to #### up; it just happened.

Jack Squirek intercepting Joe Theismann in Super Bowl XVIII. Maybe too famous but the 11 year old me was devastated. Pete Kozma's 2012 NLDS hit in Game 5 to cap the comeback from 6-0 is my worst obscure adult memory. With hindsight, probably being born a Washington sports fan has bothered me most.
You do at least have the Gibbs-era Super Bowls. Imagine being a kid from Cleveland or somewhere like that, where you don't even get to the Super Bowl, or many other championships.

Gophers vs. Michigan football, 2003. Gophers were 6-0, ranked 13th in the country, and were up 21 in the 4th quarter at home. Ended up losing. That one felt like it knocked Gopher football off course for a good 10 years. I was there. It was awesome, and then it sucked.

Gophers vs. Michigan football, 2003. Gophers were 6-0, ranked 13th in the country, and were up 21 in the 4th quarter at home. Ended up losing. That one felt like it knocked Gopher football off course for a good 10 years. I was there. It was awesome, and then it sucked.
Rememeber that one like it was yesterday. I was sitting on my in-laws couch, watching the collapse.

Wolves had the worst record/best chance at #1 that year too.

Not to mention falling to #4 (donyell marshall) the year of Glenn Robinson/Grant Hill/Jason Kidd. Had 2nd worst record.

Oh and let's not forget the year of falling to #5 (JR Rider) the year of Chris Webber, Jamal Mashburn and Penny Hardaway. Had 2nd worst record.

The 1998-9 AFC Championship game between the Jets and Broncos. Dedric Ward's fumble, specifically, which is I think where the obscurity would come in. I just remember him running free and getting stripped. Jets turned the ball over six times that day under Parcells, who had always sort of stressed not to do that. I thought they were a better team than the Broncos that year.
Yep. I think Keith Byars had a big fumble too, and Ed McCaffery had a 50 yard catch that turned the tide. That year's Jets would have killed the Falcons in the SB. I'll also put the 2010 AFCC loss to the Steelers up there as devastating; the Jets had held the Packers to 9 points earlier in the year.

Gophers football makes a habit of this sort of thing.

The 2005 Wisconsin game.

The 2006 team had the dubious distinction of blowing a 38–7 third-quarter lead in the Insight Bowl against Texas Tech, losing 44-41 in overtime. The collapse, which was the biggest in the history of Division I-A postseason football, directly led to the firing of head coach Glen Mason. On January 17, 2007, Tim Brewster was officially announced as the next head coach of the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

And then there's the Vikings missing the 2003 playoffs because McCown hits Nate Poole on a 4th and 25 with no time left. Paul Allen tells the story.

1995 Eagles have been looking for a Jerome Brown replacement for the past few years. Eagles move up from #12 to #7, Warren Sapp is sitting there for the Birds!!!!!!!!

With the 7th pick in the 1995 NFL Draft the Philadelphia Eagles select Mike Mam-u-la, DE Boston College -

:wall: :rant: :( :hot: :cry:

Not obscure, but when Celtics picked Len Bias with the 2nd pick in 1986 and he died the next day.
I had the chance to see Bias play in HS before he got to MD, and the Terp teams he was on were among my favorites of all time, so his death hit me and all of my friends pretty hard. However, what really lingers more to this day about his death is how it affected Keith Gatlin, the starting PG who was a year behind him. One of my favorite Gatlin highlights was during their game at UNC that year, when Maryland was the first team to beat the Tar Heels in the Dean Dome. That play wasn't the difference but definitely was the icing on the cake.

Sadly, after Bias' death, Gatlin stopped playing. Though he did play out his last year of eligibilty later on, he had walked away when he was, imo, on the verge of making himself a lotter pick the next year. He had it all, size, ball-handling skills, great court vision, and he had developed quicker feet and a mid-range jump shot to make it in the NBA. That last year with Bias, Gatlin was so smooth with the ball that it looked like it was part of him. I'm almost more upset about what could have been for him than I am for Bias.

Matteau

Matteau

Matteau
That was one of my best sports moments ever. So awesome.

Mine was when Damien Robinson tried to literally rip Aaron Brooks' head off. Kyle Turley stepped in and prevented what could have been a catastrophic injury. Sadly the media attention focused almost entirely on what Turley did afterward and ignored what was, IMO, the dirtiest, ugliest play in NFL history.

Fog Bowl. Eagles had a real shot that year and they were a come from behind team. Fog totally screwed them. I don't know how far they would have gone but I felt pretty ripped off. Once it rolled in passing game was done for the day. Rididculous.

Users who are viewing this thread