What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Obscure Sports Moments That Really Bothered You (1 Viewer)

tdog said:
Jack Squirek intercepting Joe Theismann in Super Bowl XVIII. Maybe too famous but the 11 year old me was devastated. Pete Kozma's 2012 NLDS hit in Game 5 to cap the comeback from 6-0 is my worst obscure adult memory. With hindsight, probably being born a Washington sports fan has bothered me most.
There were a ton of different awful moments that went into this one. The decision to use Edwin Jackson in relief even though his career is basically defined by playoff disappointment and he'd gotten lit up in a blowout loss two days earlier. Molina and Freese both working walks with two out in the 9th after Storen got to two strike counts, one of them on an iffy check swing. Descalso's base hit to tie it deflecting off Desmond's glove, just an inch or two out of his reach. And then the Kozma hit. In 40 years of DC sports misery I've never watched anything half as painful as that game.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Astros down 5-0, coming back by hitting a homer in the top of the 9th to make it 5-5. Then lose 6-5 to a walk off homer in the 11th.

RedmondLonghorn said:
The 2008 Texas/Texas Tech game sticks out.

That one isn't exactly obscure though.

The 2004 Red River War was probably less known, but more upsetting. Lost to OU 12-0. Only Mack Brown and Greg Davis could hold Vince Young scoreless. What a couple of gutless cowards they were.
I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with OU :football:

RedmondLonghorn said:

The 2004 Red River War was probably less known, but more upsetting. Lost to OU 12-0. Only Mack Brown and Greg Davis could hold Vince Young scoreless. What a couple of gutless cowards they were.
Just seeing this name makes my pooper pucker. UGH.

Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
1995 Eagles have been looking for a Jerome Brown replacement for the past few years. Eagles move up from #12 to #7, Warren Sapp is sitting there for the Birds!!!!!!!!

With the 7th pick in the 1995 NFL Draft the Philadelphia Eagles select Mike Mam-u-la, DE Boston College -

:wall: :rant: :( :hot: :cry:
Multiple teams can claim Sapp. I remember the Jets' fans at the draft chanting "We want Sapp!" and then they picked Kyle Brady.

Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
1995 Eagles have been looking for a Jerome Brown replacement for the past few years. Eagles move up from #12 to #7, Warren Sapp is sitting there for the Birds!!!!!!!!

With the 7th pick in the 1995 NFL Draft the Philadelphia Eagles select Mike Mam-u-la, DE Boston College -

:wall: :rant: :( :hot: :cry:
Multiple teams can claim Sapp. I remember the Jets' fans at the draft chanting "We want Sapp!" and then they picked Kyle Brady.
Ask Viking fans

With the 11th pick, the Minnesota Vikings select Derrick Alexander, FSU

Cjw_55106 said:
johnnyrock62000 said:
Timberwolves not getting the #1 or #2 pick the year Shaq and Mourning came out of college. But yay they got Christian Laettner.
I understand the sentiments and love the 20/20 hindsite. Agreed that Mn wanted/needed a big man and could have been a different franchise today had they gotten one. That being said, Laettner was perhaps the greatest college player of all time, so it isnt like they drafted third in a two player draft.
That's exactly what it was. Laettner was the pick at #3, don't get me wrong. And he was an ok pro. But when you're the worst team and Shaq and Alonzo get yanked out from under you it changes everything. It isn't hindsight. It was foresight after the draft lottery had the Timberwolves picking third.

Game 7 of the 1991 World Series when Lonnie Smith got deked on the bases. One of many things that happened in that series that cost the better team the championship.

RedmondLonghorn said:

Just seeing this name makes my pooper pucker. UGH.
UT hired two ex-Tulane coaches, brilliant.

Game 6 of the 1996 Blues/Red Wings series - all most remember is the Yzerman winner in Game 7, but the Blues came home for Game 6 with a chance to win the series and #### the bed. A valiant 3rd period comeback was too little, too late.

2002 World Cup Quarterfinals.

Background: US defeat Portugal 3-2 in the opening match and go onto advance out of the group stages. We defeat Mexico in the round of 16 and reach the quarters for the first time in the common era and are matched against the might Germans

Game: Michael Ballack puts Germany in the lead, but the Nats dont give up. They bombard the Germany goal and have a dubious goal disallowed. As the game approaches injury time, Tony Sannah, the obscure US defender who had the tournament of his life, is left unmarked in the box but his powerful header flies just wide. We werent expected to win the match, but I was still crushed at the loss given how well we played in the game (and throughout much of the tournament).

October 26, 1997. Didn't bother me much at the time and I'm sure I didn't even watch the game, but in hindsight it may have altered the course of NFL history.

Chargers beat the Colts 35-19 to improve to 4-4. SD goes on to lose their last 8 games of the season to finish 4-12. The Colts finish the season 3-13 and ended up with the top pick, with the Chargers going second. Had the Colts won that game instead, the Chargers likely end up with the top pick and maybe we're talking about Ryan Leaf the QB who was a total bust in Indianapolis.

I'll never forget the 2009 nfl playoff game between Tennessee and Baltimore. I just remember it was 10-10 late. They are driving to get in FG range and Flacco snaps the ball at least a full second after the play clock expired. No call, long completion. Game over shortly after. Best team we had maybe ever. Blew home field advantage throughout. Then Pittsburgh ends up winning it all just weeks after we humiliated them.

I remember following the 07 MLB draft and thinking Rick Porcello could fall to the Yanks because of signability issues. We in NJ were led to believe this kid was the second coming of Josh Beckett, who was in the middle of becoming the next Nolan Ryan at the time. Porcello made it almost all the way through Round 1 but the Tigers grabbed him like a pick or two before, and I was pissed. Especially since the dumb Tigers had just knocked the Yanks outta the playoffs the year before.

A lot of these aren't very obscure but this one hopefully is. 1987 NBA Eastern Conference semi-finals. The East was loaded in the 80s with great Celtics and Sixers clubs, a very good Milwaukee team, Dominique in Atlanta, and the Pistons and Bulls on the rise. I was living in SF but still followed the team I grew up with in Milwaukee. The Bucks got past Philadelphia in the first round and beat Boston in games 5 & 6 to take the series back to the Garden. The Bucks led by 8 in the 4th quarter but Paul Pressey fouled out on a couple of soft (or dumb) fouls. Larry Bird went off towards the end and the Celtics won by 6.

I don't think those Bucks were a great team. They had already started turning over their roster and Sidney Moncrief's knees were almost shot. But getting past Philadelphia and Boston in the playoffs would have made it a great season. It also would have given me bragging rights for the summer with my old roommate who was a big Celts fan. That was pretty much the end for the nearly very good Bucks teams of the 80s. Nellie jumped or was pushed out after the season and they began their decline to lottery land.

The entire 4th quarter of the game is on YouTube with the home radio broadcast overdubbed. It's not as agonizing as I remember it although the Bucks offense completely stagnated down the stretch. The most striking thing about the video is how much of a homer Johnny Most was. He complains constantly about the refs. If you were listening on radio, you'd have no idea what was happening because Most is ranting about something else. The other oddity is how few 3PT shots were taken. There are lots of isolation plays but nobody is set up beyond the arc to provide some spacing. I don't think a 3PT is taken until the Bucks are trying to come back in the final minute. Boston runs plays for Larry Bird to set up long twos. On the defensive end, it seems like there's a lot less doubling but the game is more physical than present day.

Michigan State basketball's inability to ever put away Wisconsin in the mid-2000s drove me nuts.

The two games that stick out were the final game of the 2004 regular season at MSU, when Chris Hill, the best freakin' shooter on the team, missed two free throws with the game tied in the final seconds and we lost in OT. Cost us a share of the Big Ten title.

The next year, at Wisconsin, MSU was up 8 with 2 minutes to go, didn't score again, missed some front ends of bonus free throws, and lost by 3.

Senior DB Tony George getting thrown out the 1998 UF/FSU game during a pre-game melee between the teams on the field. In the 2nd half, a bad Marcus Outzen pass bounced off the hands of George's replacement directly to Peter Warrick. Warrick took it to the house.

A bonus entry from that same game was Gerard Warren falling on a fumble in the end zone for a touchdown. Only it wasn't a TD because the refs didn't blow the play dead and a Seminole eventually fell on Warren (like several seconds later) knocking the ball out and recovering it. It was still a safety for UF, but it was also some real BS.

Game 4 NL Championship between Cubs and Padres.

Leon Durham has suffered the brunt of criticism for what happened in Game 5, but Lee Smith deserves finger pointing for the way he pitched to Steve Garvey the night before in Game 4. Garvey was like a lot of aging hitters: he started his swing early to catch up with good fastballs, of which Smith had an excellent one. The antidote to that is to throw breaking pitches, to ruin the timing of the hitter. That's what most pitchers did that year to Garvey, who hit only eight homeruns in over six hundred and fifty plate appearances.

Smith wanted to be the tough guy and get the strikeout. He threw heat. Then this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMIJ3QRMQIw

Since "obscure" is in the thread title, here's one that probably no one besides me will remember. And it's not because of the play itself, but my father's reaction to it.

In the late 70s, Maryland had a PG named Reggie Jackson. He had been a highly-touted HS player who never amounted to anything. Anyway, my father & I were watching Maryland playing (I think) UNC. Jackson had the ball just over half court. He wasn't being guarded, but had picked up his dribble. He had a teammate about 10 feet to his right who was also uncovered. Instead of just passing the ball to said teammate easily, Jackson threw a behind-the-back bounce pass. That missed the teammate by at least 5 feet. And went out of bounds. Again, there was zero pressure on either player.

My father threw his hat across the room, put together a string of curses that were among the most creative I've ever heard, walked out, got in his truck, and was gone for most of the day. When he got home, he swore he'd never watch another Maryland game as long as Lefty was the coach. As far as I know, he kept his word.

Since "obscure" is in the thread title, here's one that probably no one besides me will remember. And it's not because of the play itself, but my father's reaction to it.

In the late 70s, Maryland had a PG named Reggie Jackson. He had been a highly-touted HS player who never amounted to anything. Anyway, my father & I were watching Maryland playing (I think) UNC. Jackson had the ball just over half court. He wasn't being guarded, but had picked up his dribble. He had a teammate about 10 feet to his right who was also uncovered. Instead of just passing the ball to said teammate easily, Jackson threw a behind-the-back bounce pass. That missed the teammate by at least 5 feet. And went out of bounds. Again, there was zero pressure on either player.

My father threw his hat across the room, put together a string of curses that were among the most creative I've ever heard, walked out, got in his truck, and was gone for most of the day. When he got home, he swore he'd never watch another Maryland game as long as Lefty was the coach. As far as I know, he kept his word.
I remember Reggie. Those were some lean years between McMillen/Elmore and Buck Williams/Albert King/Ernie Graham. Did you see my post earlier about how Len Bias' death also ruined Keith Gatlin's career?

Late in the 1980 season the Vikings went 80 yards in 2 plays/14 seconds to beat the Browns on a hail Mary to Ahmad Rashad. Always had an irrational hatred for him after that (and even more so for Browns DB Thom Darden who hit the ball up in the air instead of knocking it down). Game didn't really mean anything as the Browns still won the division but this was just a few weeks before Red Right 88. Simmons recently wrote about the Cleveland sports curse and pointed to this play as ground zero.

I remember Reggie. Those were some lean years between McMillen/Elmore and Buck Williams/Albert King/Ernie Graham. Did you see my post earlier about how Len Bias' death also ruined Keith Gatlin's career?
Yes, I did, and I meant to comment on it.

While I don't think Gatlin was as much of a pro prospect as you do, there's no doubt that any chance he had exploded along with Bias' heart. I don't think he could have gotten his shot off in the NBA with that funky John Lucas launch-from-the-chin shooting motion he had. But, on a good team, he could have been a nice back up defense-and-dish PG. He had the size and freakishly long arms..

All credit to him for coming back to MD after all that happened in '86.

Those post-McMillen/Lucas years were weird. Steve Shepherd & Brad Davis aside, Lefty was landing all of these highly-regarded recruits like Jackson & JoJo Hunter (I think Hunter transferred out to Kansas) who did very little.

Of course, had Moses Malone played even one year, they'd have won the NCAAs IMO. They still had Lucas, Larry Gibson, and several others left over from the original glory years. Moses' first year in the ABA, he was already a man amongst boys. He would have destroyed college competition.

#1 by far is 1998 NFC Championship game. Anderson hadn't missed a kick all season. Still can't watch that game to this day.

#2 would be the 09 NFC Championship. The loss didn't hurt as much as just knowing the season was over because that was a fun season to be a Viking fan, even with Favre at the helm.

Tom Glavine yielding 7 ERs in 1/3 of an inning in game 162 makes me hate him more than when he was with the Braves.

2007 I think rangers v Sabres game 4 of conf semis when the Sabres were good. rangers up 2-1 and with a 1 goal lead Chris Drury, a human corpse later on as captain of the Rangers scores with 7.7? left to tie game and rangers fall in OT. lose series 4-2.

1988 mets v dosgers

The River City Rally. Apparently there's a name for the game, but I didn't know that until I looked it up. I couldn't remember the teams. Just remember the ending.

Definition Time. Hopefully this will help.

Obscure events

- Running in a 4x100m relay in regionals and messing up the exchange of the baton and dropping it. I hit his hand and thought he had it and let go. We were in the lead after the first 100m and maybe could have advanced to states.

- Missing an easy spare in the 10th frame to miss getting a 700 series when I was 15, which I would have become the first junior bowler at that alley to shoot over a 700 series.

Non-obscure events

- Any Super Bowl, World Series, NBA Finals, NCAA Final Four, etc.

- Leon Lett touching the blocked kick against Miami on Thanksgiving Day 1993 in the snow.

not sure if these are obscure or not:

Dodgers v Cardinals: Jack Clark HR off Tom Neidenfuer in 85 :rant:
For as big a hit as that was with stakes as large as they were, this one is relatively obscure.

I can see how it would stick with Dodgers fans, too. Clark was the only pure power hitter in the lineup. Two outs. First base was open. Go-ahead runner already on base. At the time, it seemed so clear the Dodgers would call an intentional walk. I remember telling my friends, "I'm going to run to the bathroom while they walk Clark" and then seconds later hearing them yell "THEY'RE PITCHING TO CLARK! THEY'RE PITCHING TO CLARK!" in time for me to hold it in, get back in view of the TV... and see the home run.

Obscure events

- Running in a 4x100m relay in regionals and messing up the exchange of the baton and dropping it. I hit his hand and thought he had it and let go. We were in the lead after the first 100m and maybe could have advanced to states.

- Missing an easy spare in the 10th frame to miss getting a 700 series when I was 15, which I would have become the first junior bowler at that alley to shoot over a 700 series.

Non-obscure events

- Leon Lett touching the blocked kick against Miami on Thanksgiving Day 1993 in the snow.
This is the least helpful help ever. 99.9% of the sporting events we watch on TV don't match either category.

Obscure events

Non-obscure events

This is the least helpful help ever. 99.9% of the sporting events we watch on TV don't match either category.
You don't want this thread littered with track and field, bowling, archery, and shuffleboard personal moments of anguish? For shame...

2000 WS. Mets win that first game and who knows what could've happened. 3-2 bottom 9, that loser Armando Benitez gets an out but then walks O'Neill, who did foul off a ton of pitches, which led to the Yanks tying it in the 9th and winning in the 11th.

That O'Neill ab will always haunt me.

Trading of Chris Webber for Anfernee Hardaway - never liked this trade and thought a Shaq+Webber frontcourt would've been absolutely dominating.

Users who are viewing this thread