What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ocho going to wear 15 (1 Viewer)

GreenNGold said:
If he steps on the field wearing #15 he should be ejected from the game and sent straight to the locker room.
Suspension has much more of an affect than a fine. A suspension penalizes the whole team. This should be the course of action, imo.You want to make a real difference, 85 ?

Donate some money to the trust fund of CH's children.
You think he won't?
My point is THAT is the way to make a difference, and yes, i believe he will.

Ocho's a likeable guy, but all of his stunts kinda water down this gesture of wearing "15".

I saw him practicing with the "15" jersey on and couldn't help being a bit cynical and thinking this is just another "look at me" marketing angle for Chad Johnson Ochocinco 85 Horseracer RefPayer, etc, etc, etc.

For people saying the league should allow Ocho to wear the jersey what would you do if all of the Bengals WRs, QBs & kickers decided to wear Henry's jersey? How about if a member of the Chargers (this week's opponent) was close friend or relative of Henry -- would you allow him to wear it?As I said there are a myriad of ways that Ocho could honor his friend -- it is no surpise to me that he chose one that puts him in the spotlight. If I were the commish he would be prohibited from taking the field in a jersey other than his own.
All players - noCharger - YesOchocinco - may be a prima donna. And, I get that many don't like his drawing attention to himself. But, at the end of the day, who is he hurting? By and large Chad is a good guy. He works hard on the field, and he stays out of trouble off the field. He likes to have a little fun, and the league likes to protect its image. I think both are within the realm of reasonableness. Chad's antics are over the top, but there does not appear to be any maliciousness involved. His game day antics are not taunting (maybe sending the deodorant - but that was funny). For this incident - it really is akin to Manning when he wanted to wear black shoes to honor Unitas. IIRC, he did not wear them after the league threatened tp fine him. The difference here is that Chad is willing to pay the fine. I also seem to recall the Cardinals (and some non-Cardinals) wanting to extend the tributes to Tillman, and I think the league acquiesced.I have no problem with Chad wearing the jersey. And, I have no problem if the league levies a fine.But its ok to have fun in this league - don't be afraid when a player does not buy into the corporate culture - the world will not come to an end.
:moneybag: Couldn't have said it better myself.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
The league can make an exemption for this! They need to pick their battles and this is one were you look at it, make the exemption, let someone honor their good friend and teamate in a nice way and move on.... It is a game for goodness sake let him honor his friend in this game.
You can't just make exemptions. What is the NFL going to do...make a rule that if an NFL player dies that only one player on the team may where the jersey and that person is based on first-come first-served of who asks the NFL?They do not need to allow this simply because it seems insensitive. The NFL could have done nothing, but they are having moments of silence at every stadium this week, there will probably be patches or stickers on every helmet and Chad Johnson can do a TD dance if he wants. Allowing exemptions is not something a business will do, especially one who has close dealings with a union. Everyone has to be treated fairly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ocho's best tribute would be making his TD celebration be... nothing but a moment of silence. Just kneel down for 10 seconds, nothing more.

I think the league could bend here.

At the same time, they need to escalate their penalties if a player knowingly disobeys the rules.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
The league can make an exemption for this! They need to pick their battles and this is one were you look at it, make the exemption, let someone honor their good friend and teamate in a nice way and move on.... It is a game for goodness sake let him honor his friend in this game.
You can't just make exemptions. What is the NFL going to do...make a rule that if an NFL player dies that only one player on the team may where the jersey and that person is based on first-come first-served of who asks the NFL?They do not need to allow this simply because it seems insensitive. The NFL could have done nothing, but they are having moments of silence at every stadium this week, there will probably be patches or stickers on every helmet and Chad Johnson can do a TD dance if he wants. Allowing exemptions is not something a business will do, especially one who has close dealings with a union.
Why can the boss running the business not make an exemption?

Carter_Can_Fly said:
You can't just make exemptions. What is the NFL going to do...make a rule that if an NFL player dies that only one player on the team may where the jersey and that person is based on first-come first-served of who asks the NFL?They do not need to allow this simply because it seems insensitive. The NFL could have done nothing, but they are having moments of silence at every stadium this week, there will probably be patches or stickers on every helmet and Chad Johnson can do a TD dance if he wants. Allowing exemptions is not something a business will do, especially one who has close dealings with a union.
Then you have cases of injustice and treating people unfairly. It is better to stick hard to this decision right now and then avoid any of the problems popping up in the future who could make a case to change their number simply because one exception was made.You allow Chad Johnson to do this, and then every person in the future who wants to change a number for whatever reason has a case to do so.

Some player wants to honor their mother who passed away by wearing #1, and now the NFLPA and the NFL have to spend time and money hearing the case all because the NFL once upon a time allowed Chad Johnson an exception.

Ocho's best tribute would be making his TD celebration be... nothing but a moment of silence. Just kneel down for 10 seconds, nothing more.I think the league could bend here. At the same time, they need to escalate their penalties if a player knowingly disobeys the rules.
:lmao: Somtimes silence speaks volumes.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
:confused: Just like the king in Coming to America

Everyone wearing the same jersey number? C'mon people, can we at least discuss a plausible scenario.

IF they OKed just one person wearing #15 the solution is easy, first come, first served.

For the record, I don’t really care either way.

I think a better option would be a TD celebration, ala a Terrell Davis’ salute, that any Bengal player could do if/when they reached the promised land (attn C. Benson), not just Ocho.

ETA: Oops. BaBastage beat me to it.

Ocho's best tribute would be making his TD celebration be... nothing but a moment of silence. Just kneel down for 10 seconds, nothing more.I think the league could bend here. At the same time, they need to escalate their penalties if a player knowingly disobeys the rules.
:goodposting: Somtimes silence speaks volumes.
You do realize that when he scores all cameras will be on him - hence he is still drawing attention to himself - which you apparently abhor. So why would you be in favor of this (as opposed to simply trotting off the field into the middle of the Bengal's sideline)?This makes it look like you think it ok if he celebrates - but only in the fashion you deem acceptable.

:goodposting: Somtimes silence speaks volumes.
You do realize that when he scores all cameras will be on him - hence he is still drawing attention to himself - which you apparently abhor. So why would you be in favor of this (as opposed to simply trotting off the field into the middle of the Bengal's sideline)?This makes it look like you think it ok if he celebrates - but only in the fashion you deem acceptable.
I don't abhor Ocho and I actually like his antics -- his celebrations are a completely different topic. All I said was that if the NFL denies his request to wear Henry's jersey then he should abide by that decision and honor his teammate in another way. By flaunting the rules I don't think he would be honoring his friend as much as calling attention to himself.

:wall: Somtimes silence speaks volumes.
Huh? Where did either of us say we abhor his antics? I've said in other threads that I've done a 360 on him, from disapproving, to approving, and now mostly disapproving. But that's it.My suggestion was because I believe him doing what is UNEXPECTED of him has more weight than something expected. But yeah, I also believe the NFL can be lax here. This is a respectful gesture, and he tried going through the proper channels to get approval.I also believe that if your deterrent isn't working, you need a stronger deterrent, especially when it's a flagrant "I know I'm going to get in trouble but I don't care" violation. (I'm not talking about Chad here specifically, but any authority in general be it the NFL, a business, or simple parenting.)

Carter_Can_Fly said:
If this happens players will start trying to wear numbers for guys they played college ball or eve high school ball. CP wore a Taylor number 21 Tshirt

The league is being ridiculous IMO.
The league is what it is, doesn't surprise me. He'll pay the fine and for once, I'm totally fine with Ocho doing this.
Why not have the entire league wear what ever number they want when ever they want? How about wearing the age of a loved one that has died? Why wear numbers at all? Why wear a uniform, let the players pick what they want to wear?

There are rules, and consequences for breaking the rules.

The league has set the rules - which is their prerogative. If Ochocinco is willing to accept the consequences - why does anyone care?

If management thought the league was getting out of control with all the players willing to take $20,000/week pay cuts to wear whatever number they wanted - they can increase the consequences.

Of course, there are practical limitations on the players wearing any jersey they want - certain positions are required to wear certain numbers - and that makes them eligible to do things like catch the ball. So, if Johnson wanted to wear 65 - he would be an ineligible receiver and be properly penalized every time he caught a ball.

As it is - 15 is an eligible number for WR. It is not being used by any current member of the Bengals. The Chargers are not going to be confused and think Henry is lining up out wide.

As it is, I suspect the Bengals' equipment managers may forget to pack #85 road jerseys - but luckily they should have a few #15 jerseys tucked away somewhere. (I expect the Bengals will also be fined if Chad wears 15 instead of 85 - since he can not do this without their consent).

For this incident - it really is akin to Manning when he wanted to wear black shoes to honor Unitas. IIRC, he did not wear them after the league threatened tp fine him. The difference here is that Chad is willing to pay the fine.
That's really about it, despite all the examples being thrown around of how this will lead to ridiculous things.

' said:
Carter_Can_Fly said:
JuniorNB said:
Chaka said:
JuniorNB said:
The commish sees this as any sane fan should see it, just another attention grab by Chad Johnson.
Not even close.
Really? Just a coincidence that the guy asking happens to be Johnson, right? What were the odds that it would be him out of 45 players? I'd say 1:1.
Johnson was his mentor and a guy that was close with him. I think the league needs to treat each situation on a case by case file

Anyone saying where does it stop is a cop out statement

Why would the not make an exemption for a fallen teamate who passed away in season? If everyone wanted to wear 15 obviously that it is not possible for the game to function. If people wanted to wear there brothers name on their back etc etc treat it as a case by case situation. Wearing your brother's name on your back etc is someting that obviously should not be allowed as he had no affilitation with the team.
I personally like the league making it's own rules and not being influenced by what others want. Why can't the whole team where a 15 patch or put 15 on the helmet as a team tribute? Why does it have to be Chad getting his exact way? There are so many different ways you can pay tribute to Chris Henry and the league would allow many of them. All he has to do is just choose one that the league would allow and stop complaining.
Exactly. Chad is an attention whore. I don't think he's a bad person or even bad for the league with some of his antics, but the guy craves the camera time and the attention. It's who he is as much as his being a WR is who he is.So I don't think he consciously realizes he is being an attention whore by doing this but that's what it is. Henry was a member of the team, so the team can honor him by a patch or helmet stickers, etc. But that's not good enough for Chad. He has to wear the jersey, and no else can. Everyone else can wear a patch or sticker. But how does that help Chad?

So it's about Chad honoring Henry rather than just being about Henry being honored. The difference in the previous and the latter is it being about Chad. Chad wants us to see him honoring Henry, it isn't good enough for Chad to have the team honor Henry. Otherwise, the patch and sticker option would be satisfactory since it honors Henry and it isn't about just one team mate doing so.

I think the longest tenured Bengal should honor him by wearing the number.

That would make the most sense.

-QG

Sack-Religious said:
Mario Kart said:
why would Chad Johnson get to wear the "15" and not someone else on the Bengals?
1) Because he's a WR who is eligible to wear the number 15.2) Because he is the only WR on the Bengals who has played with Henry for the duration of Henry's career.3) Because he and Henry were obviously very close.4) Because he asked.
No one else is eligible to wear the "15"?No other teammate that has played with Henry gets the chance simply due to the length they played with him?No other teammate was "obviously very close" to Henry?No other teammate thought of asking therefore the first to ask is automatically granted permission?
What's so hard to see about this?As far as I know, only WR's are eligble to wear #15. That narrows down the pool of eligible players to wear that number significantly, perhaps as low as 5.It's not that no other Bengal has less "right" to wear #15 than Ochocinco, it's just that they've played the same position on the same team for the longest amount of time, and given Henry's history they've been through a lot together. That creates a bond that would likely not be there with any other player on that roster, with the possible exception of Carson Palmer. Here's the thing, nobody was granted permission to do anything. Ochocinco asked the league and they said no. Nobody else on the team has worn #15 in practice and as far as I can tell hasn't said that they'd want to wear #15 in the game. Since Ochocinco was obviously close to Henry, I think they're OK with him doing it. Failing somone on the Bengals calling Ochocinco out on it, I'm going to have to assume that they're OK with this.
Here's the thing though. Why enforce the positional rule on jersey numbers but not the rule concerning players assigned to numbers?Why not let a WR wear 55 to honor his buddy that was a MLB? Is anyone lining up across from the WR in the game not going to realize it's him? Why is that restriction sacrosanct but the player to number restriction flexible? There's no justification for the one that doesn't apply to the other.That's the slippery slope. If you're talking about a one-off exception, why say any length is too far to go so long as safety isn't compromised? Why not let a player wear the cardigan his newly departed Grams had just finished knitting for him when she passed away in her rocker watching him play the weekend before. As long as it will stretch and fit over the safety equipment, does it really affect game play? No one in the game will be confused by what is going on.What will be interesting is how the Bengals handle this since they will be necessarily complicit and defiant if Chad wears 15 this weekend.

I also believe that if your deterrent isn't working, you need a stronger deterrent, especially when it's a flagrant "I know I'm going to get in trouble but I don't care" violation. (I'm not talking about Chad here specifically, but any authority in general be it the NFL, a business, or simple parenting.)
How do we know the deterrents aren't working? Just because it happens sometimes doesn't mean the deterrent isn't working. Zero infractions isn't the only proof that a deterrent works, nor are zero infractions often the desired goal. For example, we know people don't always stop at stop signs, and if we made that a capital offense, we might reduce the offense rate to zero. That doesn't make it ideal.

Sack-Religious said:
Mario Kart said:
why would Chad Johnson get to wear the "15" and not someone else on the Bengals?
1) Because he's a WR who is eligible to wear the number 15.2) Because he is the only WR on the Bengals who has played with Henry for the duration of Henry's career.

3) Because he and Henry were obviously very close.

4) Because he asked.
No one else is eligible to wear the "15"?No other teammate that has played with Henry gets the chance simply due to the length they played with him?

No other teammate was "obviously very close" to Henry?

No other teammate thought of asking therefore the first to ask is automatically granted permission?
What's so hard to see about this?As far as I know, only WR's are eligble to wear #15. That narrows down the pool of eligible players to wear that number significantly, perhaps as low as 5.

It's not that no other Bengal has less "right" to wear #15 than Ochocinco, it's just that they've played the same position on the same team for the longest amount of time, and given Henry's history they've been through a lot together. That creates a bond that would likely not be there with any other player on that roster, with the possible exception of Carson Palmer.

Here's the thing, nobody was granted permission to do anything. Ochocinco asked the league and they said no. Nobody else on the team has worn #15 in practice and as far as I can tell hasn't said that they'd want to wear #15 in the game. Since Ochocinco was obviously close to Henry, I think they're OK with him doing it. Failing somone on the Bengals calling Ochocinco out on it, I'm going to have to assume that they're OK with this.
Here's the thing though. Why enforce the positional rule on jersey numbers but not the rule concerning players assigned to numbers?Why not let a WR wear 55 to honor his buddy that was a MLB? Is anyone lining up across from the WR in the game not going to realize it's him? Why is that restriction sacrosanct but the player to number restriction flexible? There's no justification for the one that doesn't apply to the other.

That's the slippery slope. If you're talking about a one-off exception, why say any length is too far to go so long as safety isn't compromised? Why not let a player wear the cardigan his newly departed Grams had just finished knitting for him when she passed away in her rocker watching him play the weekend before. As long as it will stretch and fit over the safety equipment, does it really affect game play? No one in the game will be confused by what is going on.

What will be interesting is how the Bengals handle this since they will be necessarily complicit and defiant if Chad wears 15 this weekend.
I am pretty sure the positional requirements for numbers is for the ease of the referees so they can quickly determine if the player is eligible to be down field, catch the ball, etc.

I also believe that if your deterrent isn't working, you need a stronger deterrent, especially when it's a flagrant "I know I'm going to get in trouble but I don't care" violation. (I'm not talking about Chad here specifically, but any authority in general be it the NFL, a business, or simple parenting.)
How do we know the deterrents aren't working? Just because it happens sometimes doesn't mean the deterrent isn't working. Zero infractions isn't the only proof that a deterrent works, nor are zero infractions often the desired goal. For example, we know people don't always stop at stop signs, and if we made that a capital offense, we might reduce the offense rate to zero. That doesn't make it ideal.
I don't think the NFL really wants to stop him at all. They want to (and will) levy a fine to any player who doesn't follow their rules. They have to do that to maintain order. The NFL isn't a fantasy league with buddies. It's a business first, second and third. If a team takes 20 seconds too long with their draft pick...the next team will grab their player. If a team tampers, they get punished harshly. In this case the NFL really can't be inconsistent and just let everything slide. They'll fine him-- and he can certainly afford to pay it. But I don't think they really care if he does it or not. If it was a big deal they wouldn't let him on the field with the jersey. Instead they get to hold their position and Ocho gets to do what he wants to do.The money goes to charity and I'll bet his teammates (or even local businesses or fans) will help pay the fine. And for the record, I'm not a huge Ocho fan (though he's growing on me) and I'm not really buying the "turned his life around" thing with Henry, considering the circumstances surrounding his death. But they were friends and it's what he wants to do. I don't think it's a "look at me" thing. I think Chad is sincere.

I think a lot of the responses in this thread are crazy. I don't know if its because they're predisposed to not liking Ochocinco or whatnot, but there's a lot of silly arguments being thrown around here. If Chad wanted to change his number to 15 next year, he could. Players are allowed to pick whatever number they want, assuming they're eligible to wear that number. Clark and Cooley were numbers in the 40s despite being listed at tight end; sure they play some H-Back but that doesn't mean they're running backs. The Fridge played some RB too, but I doubt the NFL would have let him wear #21.

I can see not wanting to let players wear numbers that don't fit with their position; it makes sense. But what harm comes out of this? If Archie passed on and Peyton wanted to wear #8, who cares? What's the downside? I don't think things are going to "get out of control." That's a cop out answer to use if you don't have a real answer.

I don't think it's a big deal either way, and Ochocinco can pay the fine and that's that. But I think Goodell, as usual, is being an ###.

I don't think the NFL really wants to stop him at all. They want to (and will) levy a fine to any player who doesn't follow their rules.
Yeah, but Ochocinco is requesting permission first. If he had just done it, I agree that a fine would be appropriate.

WOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!

Arguing over a number.

Does it really matter what number he wears and why he wants to wear it.

Technically the number is now available, so if it were not for the all mighty licensing and money situation involved with the league and Reebok, he could wear it and it should be a team situation anyways why should the league have anything to do with a guy wearing an eligible number?

I believe it is a gesture to his friend, people grieve in different ways.

we should get on the league for this cuz it has nothing to do with moral, it has to do with the league and money with the appearal makers....Remember when the league stepped in and said he couldnt put his own legal name on his jersey, the league front office has its own motives.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Here's the thing though. Why enforce the positional rule on jersey numbers but not the rule concerning players assigned to numbers?

Why not let a WR wear 55 to honor his buddy that was a MLB? Is anyone lining up across from the WR in the game not going to realize it's him? Why is that restriction sacrosanct but the player to number restriction flexible? There's no justification for the one that doesn't apply to the other.

That's the slippery slope. If you're talking about a one-off exception, why say any length is too far to go so long as safety isn't compromised? Why not let a player wear the cardigan his newly departed Grams had just finished knitting for him when she passed away in her rocker watching him play the weekend before. As long as it will stretch and fit over the safety equipment, does it really affect game play? No one in the game will be confused by what is going on.

What will be interesting is how the Bengals handle this since they will be necessarily complicit and defiant if Chad wears 15 this weekend.
I am pretty sure the positional requirements for numbers is for the ease of the referees so they can quickly determine if the player is eligible to be down field, catch the ball, etc.
And how is that interest compromised if they know beforehand that Johnson will be wearing jersey #99 this week in honor of his good friend who passed away? Particularly since any eligibility penalties are called after the play has occured when the refs can conference on the issue or consult replay. Are refs too stupid to keep up with that? It's just one player on the field using that exception. What does it hurt since it is a one-time exception?The league has a mechanism to honor a deceased player that doesn't interfere or violate their uniform rules...why must Chad buck that system, particularly when he's apparently just concerned with honoring his deceased friend?

Because Chad wants to do it Chad's way.

Oh, but it's just about him honoring his dead friend. I forgot.

Maybe someone has already asked this, but I thought I read a recent story on a basketball player being disqualified for wearing a different number than had been listed in active player lineup submissions. Anyone know if he could be disqualified (or worse yet, if the team could be forced to forfeit for using a disqualified player) if this happens?

:lmao: Somtimes silence speaks volumes.
Because it would be classy, yet something anyone would do. A big difference than his usual shtick.

WOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!Arguing over a number.Does it really matter what number he wears and why he wants to wear it.Technically the number is now available, so if it were not for the all mighty licensing and money situation involved with the league and Reebok, he could wear it and it should be a team situation anyways why should the league have anything to do with a guy wearing an eligible number?I believe it is a gesture to his friend, people grieve in different ways.we should get on the league for this cuz it has nothing to do with moral, it has to do with the league and money with the appearal makers....Remember when the league stepped in and said he couldnt put his own legal name on his jersey, the league front office has its own motives.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
You're way off. If anything, it would lead to an increase in jersey sales because now they could sell a comemorative Ocho-15 jersey.

I think a lot of the responses in this thread are crazy. I don't know if its because they're predisposed to not liking Ochocinco or whatnot, but there's a lot of silly arguments being thrown around here. If Chad wanted to change his number to 15 next year, he could. Players are allowed to pick whatever number they want, assuming they're eligible to wear that number. Clark and Cooley were numbers in the 40s despite being listed at tight end; sure they play some H-Back but that doesn't mean they're running backs. The Fridge played some RB too, but I doubt the NFL would have let him wear #21. I can see not wanting to let players wear numbers that don't fit with their position; it makes sense. But what harm comes out of this? If Archie passed on and Peyton wanted to wear #8, who cares? What's the downside? I don't think things are going to "get out of control." That's a cop out answer to use if you don't have a real answer.I don't think it's a big deal either way, and Ochocinco can pay the fine and that's that. But I think Goodell, as usual, is being an ###.
IMO, the most logical reason for the league to deny this is to keep players from requesting temporary/ late season number changes for reasons not as serious as a player/ex-player dying. Most non-logical reason for the legue to deny this is because it can and wants to remind Chad that it can.

When Ocho does something new on the field after a touchdown the league reviews and their recourse is to institute a fine.

Come Sunday, after the NFL told hiom no, he takes the field with #15 and is escorted from the field not to return that day.

Anyhow, this might be moot:

Bengals.com article

Key snippet:

Head coach Marvin Lewis changed the practice time from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. because of the team’s Friday 6 p.m. departure for San Diego and the NFL made a call Thursday to Ochocinco telling him what he can’t do. No player can change his jersey once the regular season starts, so he can’t wear the No. 15 of the man they called “Slim” this Sunday. He was back to wearing 85 Friday.
-QG

JuniorNB said:
Sack-Religious said:
Do you know what they went through together in those five years? Between training camps, practices, traveling, etc. the life of a pro athlete is very dependent on the bonds created during all the time they spend together. Even with Henry's litany of infractions and suspensions, I would bet that Henry and Ochocinco spent more time together in the last 5 years than many of us have with our best friends in the past 10-20 years.

The attempt to minimize the relationship that these team mates had, based on your opinion of what people can go through or bond over in "five years" is, at best, a complete misunderstanding of how fast and strong bonds can be made between people in unique circumstances and, at worst, a feeble attempt at fishing.
I am not disputing that they were friends. I'm not disputing that Chad's tears were real in the locker room yesterday when he was being interviewed. If he wants to 'pay tribute', he can donate money to Henry's family.I'm sure Chad isn't the only player on the Bengals who was close to Henry. And I'm sure they'll all have either a '15' patch on or a 'CH' one. If you really think that Chad Johnson doesn't want it to be more about him than the rest of the team paying tribute, you aren't familiar with his act. He raced a horse, for christ sake.
I don't think Henry's family is hurting for money. That being said, I'm sure Ocho will also provide for them in some way, shape or form. If you were Henry's family, what would mean more to you? Someone cutting you a check or a close friend of your son, father, finacee wearing your loved ones jersey on the field one last time? I know what I'd rather have, but that's just me.I'm not saying that Chad was the only Bengal that was close to Henry, and I agree that they'll all have the 15 decal on their helmets. I won't argue that a lot of what Chad does is "LOOK AT ME" to the nth degree and I am very familiar with his "act."

What I'm saying is that, this time, I don't think it's about Chad. This is about Chad paying tribute to a friend and I expect people to be divided on this. Those who like/condone what Chad does, won't have a problem with it. Those that don't like what Chad does will see it as another "LOOK AT ME," when IMO this isn't the case, this time.
Of course it is. Nine other players have died this decade, not one person ever tried to wear their friend's jersey. Lookatme Ochocinco thinks he's paying tribute to his friend by causeing a big stink because he, Chad Ochocinco, wants to honor someone extra special? I have no doubt Chad's intentons are in the right place, but his head is not.

For this incident - it really is akin to Manning when he wanted to wear black shoes to honor Unitas. IIRC, he did not wear them after the league threatened tp fine him. The difference here is that Chad is willing to pay the fine.
That's really about it, despite all the examples being thrown around of how this will lead to ridiculous things.
No it's not really. A piece of non-numbered clothing is not the same as a registered jersey # with someone else's name on it. It's just not.

Of course it is. Nine other players have died this decade, not one person ever tried to wear their friend's jersey. Lookatme Ochocinco thinks he's paying tribute to his friend by causeing a big stink because he, Chad Ochocinco, wants to honor someone extra special? I have no doubt Chad's intentons are in the right place, but his head is not.
Clinton Portis tried when Sean Taylor died.Where is Chad causing a stink? He asked permission, was denied, wore Henry's jersey at one practice, then reverted to his own jersey.Where is the stink?I understand if you don't like the guy but don't intentionally misrepresent the facts.

Clinton Portis tried when Sean Taylor died.Where is Chad causing a stink? He asked permission, wore Henry's jersey at one practice, then reverted to his own jersey.Where is the stink?I understand if you don't like the guy but don't intentionally misrepresent the facts.
Didn't realize that about Portis.The stink will be coming. I say there's about a .2% chance 85 doesn't make some kind of deal about this before Sunday is over.

The one good argument in favor of the league stance (I forgot who posted it in the Chris Henry thread but he deserves credit*) is if the league acquiesces to this then what happens the next time a player dies, or a former player, or a college teammate, high school teammate...etc. where does it stop?ETA: I still hope Ocho does it and I have no problem with it if he does. They were very close.ETA2: *It was Arch Stanton
Where to draw the line? What line? What problem? Are we afraid that there will be such a rash of people wearing dead player's numbers that we won't know who to fine because we can't identify their number? I mean...really...how is this a threat or a danger to anything? Has our society become so regimented and so hiearchical that we can't even respect when someone wants to honor a dead teammate? That's pretty sad. I thought this was the land of the free?

Clinton Portis tried when Sean Taylor died.Where is Chad causing a stink? He asked permission, wore Henry's jersey at one practice, then reverted to his own jersey.Where is the stink?I understand if you don't like the guy but don't intentionally misrepresent the facts.
Didn't realize that about Portis.The stink will be coming. I say there's about a .2% chance 85 doesn't make some kind of deal about this before Sunday is over.
I have noted your reservation for one stink this Sunday afternoon between 1:00pm - 4:00pm.

The one good argument in favor of the league stance (I forgot who posted it in the Chris Henry thread but he deserves credit*) is if the league acquiesces to this then what happens the next time a player dies, or a former player, or a college teammate, high school teammate...etc. where does it stop?ETA: I still hope Ocho does it and I have no problem with it if he does. They were very close.ETA2: *It was Arch Stanton
Where to draw the line? What line? What problem? Are we afraid that there will be such a rash of people wearing dead player's numbers that we won't know who to fine because we can't identify their number? I mean...really...how is this a threat or a danger to anything? Has our society become so regimented and so hiearchical that we can't even respect when someone wants to honor a dead teammate? That's pretty sad. I thought this was the land of the free?
Two things.1) Where does it stop is a legitimate question and numerous examples, far better than the ones you have given, have been cited in this thread multiple times. Please read it as I do not wish to rehash them (although I suspect you will opt to push until someone does).2) I wanted to quote your post so Arch Stanton can see that I gave him some props and don't just get on his case when I disagree with him.

Two things.1) Where does it stop is a legitimate question and numerous examples, far better than the ones you have given, have been cited in this thread multiple times. Please read it as I do not wish to rehash them (although I suspect you will opt to push until someone does).2) I wanted to quote your post so Arch Stanton can see that I gave him some props and don't just get on his case when I disagree with him.
I read it and didn't see any. Thank you anyway but I stand by my position that this is arbitrary power flexing on the part of the No Fun League.

Pipes said:
GreenNGold said:
If he steps on the field wearing #15 he should be ejected from the game and sent straight to the locker room.
Is this a joke?We're talking about a jersey number here. I can't believe people are opposed to this. It is just a game btw...I think people forget that and take football way too seriously.Props to Ocho for this.
This Viking fan agrees with this Packer fan. And how often does that happen...?

I read it and didn't see any. Thank you anyway but I stand by my position that this is arbitrary power flexing on the part of the No Fun League.
So you would be okay if a player decided to wear the sweater his grandmother knit for him before she died instead of his jersey?Or maybe he could replace his jersey number with a picture of his grandmother. That would be okay, right?

The one good argument in favor of the league stance (I forgot who posted it in the Chris Henry thread but he deserves credit*) is if the league acquiesces to this then what happens the next time a player dies, or a former player, or a college teammate, high school teammate...etc. where does it stop?

ETA: I still hope Ocho does it and I have no problem with it if he does. They were very close.

ETA2: *It was Arch Stanton
This is a business decision in a business that has rules deliberated on and agreed to by both sides. Chad is 100% free to leave the NFL and wear Henry jerseys any time. While he is an employee of a business with whom he has a contract (with a dress code and ample, ample compensation for his work), this Land of the Free doesn't apply. The NFL is under no constitutional requirement to provide it's employees free speech.

How is it arbitrary? They did the same thing to Portis, Plummer and such. It's a rule in the contract agreed to by both parties. That's not arbitrary. I also fail to see how not letting Ocho wear Henry's jersey makes the league less fun.

Users who are viewing this thread